Home Defense

Comments

• landry_p2000
    landry_p2000 Posts: 1,313
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by dkg999
    a Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull

Now that's a hand cannon! I would love to shoot that badboy.

What are the gun laws in Iowa? My sister just moved to Des Moines a few months ago, and I want to let her know. Does Des Moines have a high crime rate? (Ex: rape, murder, robbery) She wants a gun, but she is not familiar with the state laws yet. She moved from Chicago, and knows a little about shooting and has no real fear of guns.
    Main Set-up: 55" 120 hz Samsung LN55B650, Onkyo TX-SR806, Emotiva XPA-5, Emotiva XPA-2, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S560, Apple TV (160g), Panamax M5300-PM, Polk Audio CSi5, RTi10's, FXi3's, RTi4's, and SVS PB12 Plus

Bedroom: Panasonic 50" S2 Plasma and Panasonic BD65 blu-ray player, Onkyo TX-SR707, Emotiva XPA-3, Emotiva UPA-2, KEF IQ7's, IQc, IQ8Ds, and SVS PB10-ISD
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited July 2005
    landry - IA gun laws are pretty "normal"! You have to be a resident to purchase a handgun. You also have to go down to the Sheriff's office in the county you live in and have a background check and usually pay $10 to get a "permit to purchase handguns" which is renewed annually. This is only required to purchase, not to have a handgun in your posession. Concealed carry is issued on a county basis, and if you are friendly with the Sheriff and have a valid reason you can usually get a CCW permit. There is no waiting period for a handgun if you have your permit to purchase.

I would rate Des Moines as pretty safe, unless you live in the Drake University area or some portions of the north and east side. The meth epidemic is really causing havoc with theft and petty crimes on the rise. Gang activity is all over the city, but usually doesn't have the level of violence associated with larger metro areas. In the country, the meth lab operators are becoming very aggressive and hostile. They are usually addicts also and need the fix that they are cooking up. They used to run away when you confronted them, now they tend to fight back because they need the fix and the money. One of their main tactics is to throw anhydrous ammonia that they keep in foam cups at you. The stuff is nasty. I won't work in the fields at night without having a gun in the tractor or combine with me. If you see a campfire back in the woods at night, believe me it ain't the boy scouts!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by read-alot
    Sign in Yard

"If found here at night you will be found here in the morning"

No Trespassing. Trespassers will be Shot, Survivors will be Shot Again
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • landry_p2000
    edited July 2005
    Thanks for the info dkg999. I will let her know about staying out of the Drake University area. She has a clean record and should not have a problem getting a permit to buy at least. I hope that they grant her a CCW permit just in case.
    Main Set-up: 55" 120 hz Samsung LN55B650, Onkyo TX-SR806, Emotiva XPA-5, Emotiva XPA-2, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S560, Apple TV (160g), Panamax M5300-PM, Polk Audio CSi5, RTi10's, FXi3's, RTi4's, and SVS PB12 Plus

Bedroom: Panasonic 50" S2 Plasma and Panasonic BD65 blu-ray player, Onkyo TX-SR707, Emotiva XPA-3, Emotiva UPA-2, KEF IQ7's, IQc, IQ8Ds, and SVS PB10-ISD
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited July 2005
    Anyone have any experience with the use of an ASP 26" tactical baton?

I bought one a few years ago to accompany my wife on her walks in the neighborhood. Never considered it for home defense, though. Hmmm.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited July 2005
    There's a saying that goes "don't show up to a gun fight with a knife." Batons, baseball bats, pepper sprays, knives, mean dogs; only work in Hollywood. Buy the most power you can accurately and effectively employ, and get good formal training. Most people who are shot, don't even know they've been shot---and that's a fact.

Someone here already mentioned shotguns. They are arguably the best home defense gun (12awg pump). Forget intimidation tactics, they don't work with todays goons.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited July 2005
  • landry_p2000
    edited July 2005
    Who is that dude with all the guns? Must be Demiurge.

• jet2001
    jet2001 Posts: 180
    edited July 2005
    I would rate Des Moines as pretty safe, unless you live in the Drake University area or some portions of the north and east side.

I graduated from Grand View College back in '99 and am very familiar with the east side of Des Moines. It can get a little scary in some neighborhoods, but all in all I felt safe in Des Moines. Great city and growing fast...I don't miss those Iowa winters though.
    RTi4-fronts
    CSi3-center
    R15-surrounds
    Cerwin Vega LW15-Sub
    Denon AVR 885
  • Early B.
    edited July 2005
    There's a saying that goes "don't show up to a gun fight with a knife." Batons, baseball bats, pepper sprays, knives, mean dogs; only work in Hollywood. Buy the most power you can accurately and effectively employ, and get good formal training.
    The issue here is home defense. I'll bet if we did some research we'd probably find that most intruders were scared away moreso by alarm systems, dogs, bats, etc. than a homeowner pointing a gun at them. In fact, most intruders may not be carrying a gun. I'm not disagreeing with you because I have a .40 locked and loaded near my bedside, but just wondering what the stats say.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited July 2005
    I don't keep any loaded but, I have a SW .38 snubnose Marlin .22 Savage 20awg/.22 & a pellet gun lol. Then my dad has an Ithaca 20awg a few .22 etc. THe standards for Tennesseeans I guess...
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by Early B.
    I'll bet if we did some research we'd probably find that most intruders were scared away moreso by alarm systems, dogs, bats, etc. than a homeowner pointing a gun at them.

Amen to the ALARM point (and dogs are a type of alarm), that IS your first line of defense. Weapons are used in worst case scenarios. As far as counting on these items to save you---forget it.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited July 2005
    Sig 2340 and a Taurus .357 revolver. Sold the Mossberg a few months ago to buy audio gear.

I also have the Taurus .357 and the Mossberg 12g.
    I had to lock them all up in the safe now because of the kids I married into.
    I have a 100 lb. Rott that will hopefully hold off an intruder till I can retrieve them.
    My family believes you should NEVER sell your guns. (unless you have totally worn them out). Guns are heirlooms meant to be handed down from generation to generation. Plus once handed down they are no longer registered.
    :D

Edit: I also have an alarm and the dog lives inside the house with us. I do not have anything in the yard as valuable as my family.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • Early B.
    edited July 2005
    I do not have anything in the yard as valuable as my family.
    Huh?
    You keep your family in the yard????
    I suppose that's a good way of having the house all to yourself. :D:D:D

• dkg999
    edited July 2005
    demiurge - are you in Marshfield? That looks like the gun counter at Big Boy Toys?
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited July 2005
    Huh?
    You keep your family in the yard????
    I suppose that's a good way of having the house all to yourself. :D:D:D

Myself and the dog:D
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • Demiurge
    edited July 2005
    That isn't a picture of me. I just found that guys shirt amusing. :)
  • landry_p2000
    edited July 2005
    This is my gat.

• Demiurge
    edited July 2005
    This is one of my 'gats'. The 'Baby' Desert Eagle 9MM. My cat, Primus, is intruiged. :)
    gun.jpg 89.8K
  • dkg999
    edited July 2005
    When you care enough to send the very best .............:D
    DKG999

• Early B.
    edited July 2005
    Home defense, dk? Gee, I'd hate to see what you use as your carry weapon --

"Sir, is that a cannon in your pocket...?"

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,480
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by Demiurge
    lj-worksafe1.jpg

Hi Demiurge,:cool:

Tell me about the Garand and Carbine behind your right arm.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Demiurge
    edited July 2005
    That's not me...or I'd be glad to!
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,480
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by Demiurge
    That's not me...or I'd be glad to!

Can you go there and find out?:D
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • ct602
    ct602 Posts: 1
    edited January 2007
    Funny, my first post on this forum is firearm related not A/V related.

Primary : Springfield XD Service 45ACP or Glock 20 10mm with surefire 200

1st back up: Winchester 1300 with surefire forend

2nd back up: RRA 9mm AR carbine with surefire m500 with Eotech 551 mounted in a LT mount.

ct602
  • GaryZ06
    GaryZ06 Posts: 317
    edited January 2007
    Glock,Baretta and Desert Eagle....oh yeah I'm ready.:D
    Panasonic 50" Plasma + Pioneer 6010
    Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD
    Panasonic BD30 Blu-Ray
    Pioneer 1014
    Polk RTi12 (front)...Polk CSi5 (center)
    Polk RTi4 (rear)...Velodyne DLS 5000-R Sub
    3 Outlaw M-200 Amps
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited January 2007
    Funny, my first post on this forum is firearm related not A/V related.

Imagine that!?!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited January 2007
    I use a Glock 21 with a Baby Eagle 9mm back-up.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2007
    For me, a WALTHER P99c with lazer and a MOSS 12g Cruiser pistol grip with fold out stock and tac light. :cool:
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited January 2007
    Sold all of my guns but one when I moved 5 years back. I kept my colt defender and keep it loaded with black talons. My two dogs keep everyone away though.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880