Home Defense

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2005
    I prefer the low tech approach.

I was a big martail arts junkie when I was a teenager and thru Akido got very interested in swords and have collected a few over the years. No $200,000 katanas thatll slice thru an engine block but good enough to ruin somebody's whole day.

The big MacLeod "Highlander" sword is my favorite. Although its not real and dull as a stone, its a $200 replica of the Highlander family sword from the TV show. The black one to the left is also a replica of a Highlander sword but only ran me $50.

However the black one to the right is a $200 sword that while it wont slice a bullet in half would do some damage.

The red one on the far right is my personal favorite. I got it for $350 in Texas. Again, its not a super sword thatll cut thru steel but is light, well balanced and would likely take off an arm.

But the main one I keep by the bed at night is the survival knife in the middle.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2005
    Dammit! meant to attatch the picture. :mad:
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited July 2005
    Guns for show, knives for pros.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited July 2005
    Sheet, I gots me a sword too...

andurilsword.jpg

Watch out, don't make me break out my Aragorn moves all over your ****.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by ND13

Dont bring a knife to a gun fight!

:D

• ND13
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    Dont bring a knife to a gun fight!

:D

You need not worry about that my friend.
  • RobXant
    RobXant Posts: 201
    edited July 2005
    The AA12 Assault Automatic Shotgun.
    360 rnds/minute of 12 gauge.
    It's made out of stainless steel.
    No recoil.
    It makes bad things disappear.

AA12%20Shotgun_1.jpg
    Yamaha RX-V1500 // Outlaw Audio M200 (x2) Panasonic TH-52PZ700U
    Sony DVP-NS715P // Sony Playstation3 // Roku Soundbridge M1000[/color]
    Polk LSi15 (w/Monster Z2 Wire) // Polk LSiC // Polk LSi7 // Velodyne DLS-3500

Workshop Rig: Creek 4330 // Technics SL-P310 // Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble 2
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by RobXant
    The AA12 Assault Automatic Shotgun.
    360 rnds/minute of 12 gauge.
    It's made out of stainless steel.
    No recoil.
    It makes bad things disappear.

aa12.jpg

Damn, and I thought my Benelli Super 90 Defense was badass!!
  • marker
    marker Posts: 1,084
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by shack
    No guns..... Very loud outdoor dogs.

I saw where they went into prison and interviewed cons who were in for B&E what they looked for as far as which homes to target, which to avoid, etc, and percentage wise, far and away the biggest deterrant was a big dog in the yard or house, something like 80-some %.

Makes you want to go out and find a pit-bull with aids!
  • marker
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by Ron-P
    Yep, I don't have too worry about killing several neighbors if I shoot someone in my house. I fired off a few in the desert and they pretty much shatter into nothing upon impact.

It is that exact same pistol.

One of my neighbors has an over/under combination .22 rifle/16 guage shotgun. He said that if someone came in on him in the house, the 16 guage would be a lot less likely go through interior walls to hit someone in his family, and that if they make it out in the yard, then the .22 rifle would be perfect to shot 'em in the ****$!
  • marker
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by Ron-P
    I've got one of those as well. :) Bought it off a friend, brand new, for $75. I have several 30 round mags for it.

Yeah Ron, they are cheap. I think my dual 50 round banana clips cost more than the actual SKS rifle did new. This was back in '94 or '95 at the height of the big Clinton gun legislation going on then.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited July 2005
    A 6 foot long, Panamanian blow gun, and a U.S. made flamethrower.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • gshisme
    gshisme Posts: 1,038
    edited July 2005
    Has worked so far.
    suds, suds and more suds!
  • TheReaper
    TheReaper Posts: 636
    edited July 2005
    A vintage 1970 Husky™ ½" breaker bar. It is only 14" long and has just enough heft to break skulls.
    Win7 Media Center -> Onkyo TXSR702 -> Polk Rti70
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited July 2005

Great let me get my plastic butter knives out don't even think of messing with me!:D
  • Tide
    Tide Posts: 154
    edited July 2005
    No gun, but if I saw burglers in the house, I'd just tell the wife "Honey, these men are here to deliver the new speakers."

That would get rid of them real quick.
    SDA 2s; HSU STF-2; Yamaha RX-V1
    SDA-CRSs; Polk PSW-303; Rotel RB-960BX; Rotel RSP-960AX;
    LSi 7s; Infinity PS8; Rotel RB-980BX; Rotel RSP-980
    Mirage Nanosat 5.1; Yamaha RX-V2300
    Monitor 5s, 5 jrs, & 4s
  • landry_p2000
    landry_p2000 Posts: 1,313
    edited July 2005
    It is good to know that you can defend your family from intruders. I guess I am a little cautious about this because I have had several associates homes to be invaded. I don't know of anyone that had to face this problem in my new neighborhood. My next door neighbor has lived in the sub since 1994, and has had no problems at all. I have been there for about 9 months now and no problems.
    There were home invasions in certain parts of Memphis where the father was gagged and hog tied while 3 or 4 **** robbed the house and raped the wife and daughters. I don't ever ever want to shoot another human being for any reason whatsoever, but if it comes down to my family, OFF WITH HIS HEAD. No remorse, no guilt, no problem.
    I have actually had a Shelby County Sheriff to tell me (QUOTE) " If someone breaks into your house, shoot to kill. Because if you hurt them bad, and don't kill them, according to circumstance, you could be sued." (UNQUOTE) I was like; WTF? Okay that seals it for me. If they enter walking, they will get rolled out with the body bag zipped up, or I will die trying. If that happens to my family I won't know about it because I will be dead.
    I thought about a Pit Bull or German Shepard in the yard to ward off would be burglars. Those shepards are real a$$ eaters.
    Main Set-up: 55" 120 hz Samsung LN55B650, Onkyo TX-SR806, Emotiva XPA-5, Emotiva XPA-2, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S560, Apple TV (160g), Panamax M5300-PM, Polk Audio CSi5, RTi10's, FXi3's, RTi4's, and SVS PB12 Plus

Bedroom: Panasonic 50" S2 Plasma and Panasonic BD65 blu-ray player, Onkyo TX-SR707, Emotiva XPA-3, Emotiva UPA-2, KEF IQ7's, IQc, IQ8Ds, and SVS PB10-ISD
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited July 2005
    I had a neighbor's house get broken into -- they were out of town -- but they bought a gun after that. The cop said if it ever happened again, shoot them twice in the chest and wait five minutes before you call 911.

I myself have a Walther PPKS in a gun safe so the kids cannot get to it.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited July 2005
    Questions why all the guns? why not an alarm?

if Willow doesn't wake us up and deter them they will have to face the alarm blasting and cops showing up.
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited July 2005
    I don't have anything yet, but grew up in a house full of guns. I'm hoping to get a pistol within the year, but need to research my local handgun laws regarding ownership/transportation. I've got four pistols that I'm considering right now:

HK .45
    Sig .40 or 10mm
    Glock .40

Anyone have any advice on the above choices?
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by wodom1
    I don't have anything yet, but grew up in a house full of guns. I'm hoping to get a pistol within the year, but need to research my local handgun laws regarding ownership/transportation. I've got four pistols that I'm considering right now:

HK .45
    Sig .40 or 10mm
    Glock .40

Anyone have any advice on the above choices?

Get the Sig 40. Every cop, trooper, and deputy I know carries a 40 now. They have the knock down power of a 45 and the speed and round capacity of the 9s. Best of both worlds. Also you might want to consider a Ruger 40.
  • marker
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by landry_p2000
    Those shepards are real a$$ eaters.

Yes they are! I have one who is VERY protective, especially towards my signifigant other.
  • landry_p2000
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by Willow
    Questions why all the guns? why not an alarm?

if Willow doesn't wake us up and deter them they will have to face the alarm blasting and cops showing up.

Okay. The reason I don't rely only on my brinks system is from a personal encounter. I lived in an apartment across town from my mom. She worked a weekend shift every other Sunday. (She is a nurse) While she was at work, burglars cut her phone line, removed the power meter globe from the side of the house, and it was 5 a.m. The alarm system had a back up battery, which once inside the house the burglars snatched the siren and keypad off the wall.

Problem: No phone connection to the police dept., no power for the alarm to sound off, no siren for noise, and no one at home.

They cleaned her out. So having a gun or alarm system is no good if you are not there anyway. If she were at home, she still had a better chance of putting a cap in the a$$es of the bad guys.
    Me personally, I am glad she was not home. I would rather them take all 4 TVs, a dvd player, jewelry she had since I was little, and $500 in cash rather than hurt my mom.
    My dad retired from American Airlines (Chicago) and moved here over the 4th of July weekend to stay for good. He has about 4 pistols and a shotgun, so she should be pretty safe now. The house still has the same crappy ADT alarm system though.
    Main Set-up: 55" 120 hz Samsung LN55B650, Onkyo TX-SR806, Emotiva XPA-5, Emotiva XPA-2, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S560, Apple TV (160g), Panamax M5300-PM, Polk Audio CSi5, RTi10's, FXi3's, RTi4's, and SVS PB12 Plus

Bedroom: Panasonic 50" S2 Plasma and Panasonic BD65 blu-ray player, Onkyo TX-SR707, Emotiva XPA-3, Emotiva UPA-2, KEF IQ7's, IQc, IQ8Ds, and SVS PB10-ISD
  • landry_p2000
    edited July 2005
    Get the Sig 40. Every cop, trooper, and deputy I know carries a 40 now. They have the knock down power of a 45 and the speed and round capacity of the 9s. Best of both worlds. Also you might want to consider a Ruger 40.

I own the Glock .40 (Model 23) and you can't beat it for reliability. Mine has never jammed up, even after being dirty for months at a time. I have ran about 1,200 rounds of ammo through it so far; hollow points and slugs both with flawless function. I owned a Ruger P-944 .40 cal and I encountered a feed problem with hollow point bullets, which caused stove pipe jams. Slugs fed flawlessly through Ruger though. I don't know much about a Sig .40, but I heard that it is just as good as a Glock .40.

The Glock .40 is the sidearm of the FBI, the NYPD carries the Glock 19 9mm, Nato officers carry the Glock 17 9mm, and the Mississippi state troopers have went to the Glock .40s as well.
    Just my 2 cents on the matter, hope it helped you ND13.

Landry

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by landry_p2000
    Steve. How do you like the G17? Some feel that a 9mm doesn't have good enough stoppping power. I beg to differ. That may be my next gun. Hell, with 17 rounds that will be plenty of stopping power. I love my G23. It is a very reliable and accurate pistol. I will most likely stick with the Glock family on my next few purchases.( 9mm, .45ACP, and .45GAP)

9mm is good, I just prefer 40 cal ballastics. In 9mm stick with 115gr jhp at as high a velocity as possible---I use Corbon myself in the Glock, which is now 13yrs old.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Mjr7531
    Mjr7531 Posts: 856
    edited July 2005
    I figure if you have a gun in the house, it could be used against you.

My godfather lives in the West side of Cleveland, which can get somewhat dangerous. And yes he house was broken and entered, but they slept through it, the guy stole some loot, made a sandwich, and left. Nobody got hurt, and while they lost some stuff, they kept what really matters.

I think most house burgulars are cowards and if you can avoid a confrontation, they'll avoid you, and you can spare your life which is far more important in the long run which could be risked in a confrontation.

I figure if somebody wants to break in your house, they'll do it, and sometimes it just can't be helped

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Not trying to start a pissing contest, just providing another point of view.
  • landry_p2000
    edited July 2005
    It is good that they left without hurting anyone. He must not have a security alarm on the house? I don't know of anyone that could sleep through a loud siren going off.
    A gun can be used against you true enough, but if the bad guy has one and you don't....oh boy, that could turn out ugly. I had a friend in Memphis who's home was invaded while they were sleeping. The folks cooperated fully with these turds and they still raped this guys wife and daughter while he watched with a pair of plastic strips cuffs on his wrists and ankles. If he had a gun this could have been avoided possibly. Without one, he was helpless. If you are not strong or smart enough to get to a gun in your house, then you are right, you don't need one. Not pissing either just stating my opinion.

• marker
    edited July 2005
    ^What he said. Laws obviously are not going to keep them from getting and having guns.
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited July 2005
    Maxfli 60 degree sandwedge, far more accurate than any bullet for me, and a shepard mix.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Originally posted by markmarc
    Maxfli 60 degree sandwedge, far more accurate than any bullet for me, and a shepard mix.

Ouch, that'll leave a mark.