MD POLKFEST 2005 - Information

Options

Comments

• fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited September 2005
    Options
    beardog03 wrote:
    and the goo, well its only 60,000 a barrel.

That's in yen I hope! ;)
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,091
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Sounds absolutely fantastic guys....I was disappointed when I knew I wasn't going to be able to attend, but now I'm really bummed out. This is a trip I would have thoroughly enjoyed. I have been a big Polk fan since the early 80's. Maybe we will do something like this again in a few years, one can hope. Glad everyone is having a great time and I can't wait to see the pics.

For Matt and the rest of the gang to take time out of their day to even acknowledge customers/fans in this way is just a testament to what a unique organization Polk Audio is. They are really connected to their core audience and I know of no other main stream corporation that would do this. I would expect this type of service if I were to pick up my Ferrari from the factory, but not from a large corporation like Polk Audio.

Then, to have such a dedicated core of individuals like Mark, Russ, Jesse, etc..who are willing to set-up and host a gathering like you will be having today is amazing. On top of that people from Polk are attending so you can pick their brains and just converse about anything audio. When you really sit down and think about it this whole event is something special.

Oh well I just keep telling myself you guys can't be having that much fun..... ;) .

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • warlocks1
    warlocks1 Posts: 1,212
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I need directions to Mark's house. I sent him a PM, but haven't heard back. If anyone has directions, please email them to me at Warlocks1@aol.com. Thanks, Jeff
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Oh well I just keep telling myself you guys can't be having that much fun..... ;) .

H9[/QUOTE]

Just keep telling yourself that, bro.. ;)

I`m still on California time, so I got up kinda late, and I think the guy`s are on thier way to Doro`s...

I`m making a map, and getting on the road in a minute..

PolkFest Rocks..!

Day Two, and the fun is about to continue..
    Went to dinner last night with the guy`s....had a lot of fun..

For those that couldn`t make it, let`s see about getting next years date squared away , so we can all enjoy the festivities next time.. :cool:
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • hotwheelman
    hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Here Here beardog.......you can bet your underwear that I will be at the next one come hell or high water, I don't care what it takes to get there I will be there...PERIOD!
    "Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
    "Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Shizelbs wrote:
    Ah, you beat me to it. Yes, I would like to be second in line for any Polkie not wanting, or already has the Polk XM tuner.

Well...third in line.....will pay shipping AND send a bottle of the seller's preference (hmmm..sounds like bribe???) :):):)

EDIT: AND..obviously...won't miss next year..... :D:D

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Hmmm....not gonna get a tuner easily. I saw alot of tuners in line waiting to get signed. Not too many are going to want to part with that easily. Those that already had XRT12 tuners, other arrangements were made for them so I think the availability of free tuners is almost non-existent. But hey, I could be wrong.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited September 2005
    Options
    hello folks, ive been home for about 10 minutes. just enough time to install some nos tubes i just got from doro into my preamp. Polkfest 2005 part two is in full swing. i had to leave at 5:00 to go pick up my daughter.i met a lot of good folks during both days but today i got to speak one on one with alot of the members who attended. doro had a little raffle type deal where we all picked tickets and numbers were randomly drawn from a fishbowl and everyone won a prize. i walked away with a cool set of four isolation pads. other prizes were a cd player.two old school tubed fm tuners. subwoofer cable. ic cables.speaker cables.cd,s and i forget what else. Matt Polk showed up in a rare lightweight version of a 1993 Porche 911 Carrera RS with momo seats and five point harness and rollbar. he said he had to upgrade the brake system with oversize aftermarket rotors. calipers and pads because the stock rotors were warping when he pushed them to the limit. nice car Matt . i got to check out doros CTC B-BQ poweramp and i was very impressed with it. i told him that because of our fairly close proximity to each other that he and i should have a amplifier swap program.i had alot of fun at the polkfest and made a few friends too.very cool stuff indeed! most of the guys are still there having fun. too bad i had to leave early but it has still been a really great two days of fun........WCW III
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited September 2005
    Options
    The morning after... all I can say is wow.(I'm too hung over to say much else....)
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Kick **** company about sums it up for me. I knew there was a reason Polk rocks my house.
  • W WALDECKER
    edited September 2005
    Options
    amulford wrote:
    The morning after... all I can say is wow.(I'm too hung over to say much else....)
    i met Anthony on friday at the Polk HQ and we were in the same demo group. he,s a really great guy. i found out yesterday that we both share the same skilled trade. we are both pipe fighters! (pipefitters) it,s a blue collar profession but hell! it pays more than most white collar work does. probably because you have to be able to do trigonometry in a 160 degree boiler room while wearing leathers and still do the physical work and be able to take it for 8 hours plus. its a tough way to make a living but somebodys got to do it.
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2005
    Options
    its a tough way to make a living but somebodys got to do it.

Nothing wrong with some good hard work. It builds character.

Hey, anyone want my tuner with Matts signiture on it?

I'll leave it to you in my will... :D

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • W WALDECKER
    edited September 2005
    Options
    madmax wrote:
    Nothing wrong with some good hard work. It builds character.

Hey, anyone want my tuner with Matts signiture on it?

I'll leave it to you in my will... :D

madmax
    oh, im a character alright!
  • amulford
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Well I just dropped off Hoosier21 at the airport and drove back home. From BWI to Joisey in 1 hr 15 min. Not too shabby, huh? Might not be able to do it as fast as Matt, but I ain't got the WAY COOL Porsche... :cool:

I'll get a little more detailed later, but DAMN was it great to see all you freaks again!!! And what a pleasure to get to meet all you whom I met for the first time this go round. Absolutely Awesome, I really mean that. (Sniff sniff...Tito gimme a tissue) I will be seeing at the next one, you have been warned... :p
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,830
    edited September 2005
    Options
    A big THANK YOU to all the great folks at Polk Audio for allowing us to invade their work/lives one again and to Doro for all the hard work he did putting this together.

It was great to see all the new faces and the old ones too.....characters each and everyone of ya...lol. I enjoyed chatting, learning, sharing with everyone over the weekend, what a great bunch of folks!!!

POLK ROCKS!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited September 2005
    Options
    This was the Feel Good Event of the year for me. What a great time! A lot of people did a lot of work and preparation to make this happen. I have to say I really enjoyed meeting EVERYONE!

I will say the highlight on Friday was our meeting with Matt Polk. Unfortunatly I couldn't make it early enough to hear some of his great stories on Saturday.

Saturday evening was great as well. Lots of good listening and audio talk. I especially enjoyed talking to Ken Swauger and seeing and hearing his reel to reel setup. Ken is a true audiophile. It's a joy to be around someone so deeply into audio.

Most impressive demo for me over the two days was Kens reel to reel setup. After that was, of course, the SRT system. Equally impressive (in a different way) was the Surround Bar.

Now, somthing I am still scratching my head over. The top line car audio speakers. On the tour I noticed the B&W reference speakers they had sitting next to them and we compared the sound directly. The polk car audio speakers sounded the same with exception of the lowest bass. No sub was connected at the time. The correct sub would have made them sound exactly the same. This just freaks me out. This is what car audio is about!

I could go on for hours, really.

Thanks to all!!!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Well, got home from Polkfest 2005 a bit ago, had a nice flight back to Ga and of course had time to reflect upon this event and CP etc. Let me say Doro has set the bar very high for future fests, now I am confident that PF06 will somehow surpass this one, but right now I sure cannot see how.

Just a few highlights, well, how about getting to sit down with Matt Polk in a room full of great gear and Polk speakers from the past 20 years to present and share a listening experience. Getting to hear Matt talk about each speaker, not only its strength's and weaknesses but learning why he made those consious decisions during the design and build process. :D

Then Ken Swauger shows up with an absolute killer Reel2Reel to demo the big rig speaks, of course we get Ken's thoughts on gear, music, Polk products and CS goals. Put a face on Hedy, talk about one motivated lady, full of energy, who showed all how she can really help our members, I leave the details of that to brett. Add in Al, Paul and Stu, now their is some knowledge and drive. Even Justin showed us the some of the Polk Car audio installs. And what do they all say, not just one of them I mean all from Matt down. HOW THEY AND ALL THE STAFF APPRECIATE US AND OUR PASSION FOR POLK AND THANK US FOR COMING!!! We talked to so many staff over the two days I simply cant name them all, but they ALL treated us like we were Kings and Queens!!

It was for me great to reaffirm past friendships up close and personal and to make new ones. Rest assured our Club is solid, full of hardcore originals AND many new members who have already given to it and have a alot more to offer and work to do. Per Russman the crew can only do so much.

I am still a bit overwhelmed by the amount and quality of gear present along with time the guys spent to set things up just right, cook a ton of goodies, and share a drink of Rum :D with me. My luck held and I won a drawing prize along with all the other gifts but the best was just sharing it all with everyone who made it.

Well thats it for now.

RT1
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Well I too just got in..
    It was a very long day of traveling, but I wouldn`t hesitate to do it all over again.. :)

What can I say..I can`t thank Mark , Jesse , Russman , Hooser21,Matt , Ken , Al, Heddy,ALL THE FOLKS THAT WORKED SO VERY HARD TO MAKE POLKFEST SUCH AN ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING EXPERIENCE.E

This was by no means a small event, and Doro has put a lot of heart into making this work...as did Ken and Al ,two people I now hold in very high regard.

Heddy made things happen for anyone that may have had even the slightest problem, or complaint.

Heddy , you ROCK....thanks for all your hard work...we all appreciate it..

Polk Audio is a family that has been down the audio road for longer than some of the forum members have been alive.
    They are family, and I didn`t see one person with the slightest negative thought about the invasion of people that went to thier workplace to stumble through, and look over shoulders, and ask questions.

The whole Polk Audio crew has my thanks for making us all feel welcome...I honestly think they may have enjoyeed it as much as we did !

A lot of people went through a lot of planning, and personal effort to make this happen....again, I can`t thank you enough...

This brings me to a man named Stu...
    This man has been there from the beginning of Polk Audio, and is one of the biggest reasons I have been able to enjoy my music, and hear it the way I have for so many years..
    Great guy...he even signed my catalogue...even though he kinda thought I was nuts for wanting it... :rolleyes:

It was cool to put faces to the names of so many people that I interact with on a daily basis..

I had a great time..
    Something I will never forget....

I can`t say it enough...

Thank you... to all that put so much of themselves into making this event happen
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I wish to thank all who came to PolkFest 2005, what a great group of people. It was very nice placing names to faces, getting together with the ones you know and meeting new ones. The hospitality we have gotten from Polk HQ was astonishing, I almost shed a tear when Matt Polk thanked us for coming. To think Matt was as happy we're there as much as we love being there. :cool:

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I just got back. I left early sunday morning and went right to the Jets game

Thanx to Mark for holding a great event. Thanks to the Folks at Polk who, in few words, treated us like friggin gold.

2 kick **** days of fun and revelry. Met alot of cool people (putting faces to names and talking instead of typing was cool.

Thanks to the Maryland State Trooper that gave me a speeding ticket (I guess Amulford missed that speed trap :) the ticket adds 140 bucks to the cost of the weekend but I would still do it again in a heartbeat.

cant wait for the pics to post. I can neither confirm or deny that there is a headshot of Me and Russ for head size comparison (thanx Ant............pr!ck :) )

tired as hell, will post again. good night gang. glad it seems everyone got home safe so far.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited September 2005
    Options
    ohskigod wrote:
    I can neither confirm or deny that there is a headshot of Me and Russ for head size comparison (thanx Ant............pr!ck :) )

And By Request...................

The Face Shot of PolkFest 2005 / POLK ROCKS

drdmqc.jpg

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• amulford
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Steve, Go ahead and tell everybody how you had to get that shot from the deck :D
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited September 2005
    Options
    thats gotta be 100 lbs of grande cabeza in that picture.....lol
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Got back about 3 hours ago from the 420 mile drive back to Columbus, OH!

First off, I would like to thank Noel for being my Polkfest chauffeur! This man was an animal, not allowing me to drive at all, even when going for almost 48h without sleep! Without Noel's graciousness, I wouldn't have been able to attend. Thanks, bud!

Mark, you friggin' ROCK! Allowing a huge group of audio nuts into your home, most of which you haven't even met, just goes to show what a great guy you are. Words can not express how gracious I am towards your hospitality. Polk and the Club are in debt to you! You're a great guy.

Polk Audio! I am still in awe over how great of a company/family you guys are. I've been a big fan of yours for the past 6 years and after the experience you gave us on Friday, man,.....I'm speechless. You are a great group of people and I just wanted to thank you all for the experience!

Mathew, your generosity and welcoming us into your company shows how great of a guy you are. Getting a chance to hang out and talk to you at Mark's house really made my day. You are a true class act!

Every Club Polkie that attended, THANK YOU! It was a real pleasure getting to meet each and every one of you (even you, Russ). You are one hell of a gang!

I could go on and on.....but I won't. There will be MANY posts of thanks so I'll keep this one short. With that, I present to you a picture of Anthony!
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited September 2005
    Options
    What Up All!!!

I'm ready to take a nap and drive back to Maryland, tommorrow.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • amulford
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Hey, I don't remember you getting that one.. :eek:
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited September 2005
    Options
    That one...hell, do you want me to post the pics of the hotel room?! :D
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Mazeroth wrote:
    That one...hell, do you want me to post the pics of the hotel room?! :D

Please do..............mmmm, on second thought,DON'T
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Just made it back. I need a beer and a shot.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited September 2005
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    Just made it back. I need a beer and a shot.

Russ lives! And seems to have his priorities straight.
    Ludicrous gibs!
This discussion has been closed.