SDA Playlist

Comments

• awe-d-o-file
    awe-d-o-file Posts: 146
    edited July 2008
    have a nice list for you. My tastes are weird but I assure you you'll flip out if you try them. My friend patented a device that does what SDA does but at line level in 1981. Their company was Maryland based like Polk. Perhaps it inspired Matt to do SDA....anyway, here's a list of a few............

Mino Cinelu - S/T on Blue Thumb: Image A- Fidelity A+

Zap Mama -A Ma Zone on Luaka Bop: Image A Fidelity A- to C+

Massive Attack- No Prisoners (Mad Professor): Image A+ Fidelity B- to C-

African Head Charge v Professor Stretch - Drums of Defiance: I=A F=B to D*
    * a few low rate samples
    and just about anything else by Adrian Sherwood on his On-U label

Just about anything by Yello but especially "Stella" and "The Eye"

Both Yo Miles albums on the Cuneiform label,SACD hybrids at a great price

Single tune: Nina Hagen "African Reggae" full album version (6 minutes) not the US edit (4 minutes) available on a few of her albums. This is great!!

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!

ET

System: MF Trivista SACD > Placette passive> CJ passive horizontal bi-amp> MF 2500A(LF) MF2100(HF) > 1.2TL's

Other: Speltz silver Eichmann IC's & speaker wire, Econotweaks Detail Magnifiers, PS Audio P-300(source), R. Gray 600, Al Sekala's AC R/C filters, R. Gray HT PC's, Oyaide R-1's,WPC-Z , M-1, Herbie's & DIY Isolation
    Room: Qty 7 - 4' tall 18" diam. bass traps, Qty 4 - 4' X 2' X 4" panels. All DIY - man my wife is tolerant!
  • awe-d-o-file
    awe-d-o-file Posts: 146
    edited July 2008
    mhw58 wrote: »
    I just played Blow by Blow by Jeff Beck and was blown away by the SDA effects. VERY wide soundstage and great production by George Martin.
    Try it out. Does anyone have the SACD of Blow by BLow and if so, how does it compare to the regular cd?
    MIke

I have the original CD, the remastered and the SACD. Get the SACD it's worth it for the fidelity/dynamic improvement IMO. She's a Woman is great for image and the leslie on the keyboards on Freeway Jam is too cool. It's better and wider than the Leslie on Cause we ended as Lovers.

ET

System: MF Trivista SACD > Placette passive> CJ passive horizontal bi-amp> MF 2500A(LF) MF2100(HF) > 1.2TL's

Other: Speltz silver Eichmann IC's & speaker wire, Econotweaks Detail Magnifiers, PS Audio P-300(source), R. Gray 600, Al Sekala's AC R/C filters, R. Gray HT PC's, Oyaide R-1's,WPC-Z , M-1, Herbie's & DIY Isolation
    Room: Qty 7 - 4' tall 18" diam. bass traps, Qty 4 - 4' X 2' X 4" panels. All DIY - man my wife is tolerant!
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited July 2008
    I just listened to it on vinyl--sweet--;)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • kunderdown
    kunderdown Posts: 1
    edited August 2008
    no joke -- try rob zombie's More Human Than Human!!!
    furthermore, anything by The Crystal Method; ditto for Rammstein.
    klu
  • Ron Temple
    Ron Temple Posts: 3,212
    edited September 2008
    ELP - "Welcome Back my Friends" live concert. This show was recorded in stereo, but it was a quad event. Last night I listened at robust levels and it never sounded so good. Better without the sub. Some of the quad effects were massaging my spine. The effects were jumping around the room...a reference SDA implementation.

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • dacoupedeville
    dacoupedeville Posts: 83
    edited September 2008
    The sound from this kid show on NOGGIN is awesome. Give it five minutes. Look for it.
    HT: SRT's.....Pioneer SC95, Oppo 105D; ps4; Mitsubishi 1080p 82" DLP; DirecTV

2 ch: SRS 1.2tl's.....Odyssey Stratos monos, Dynaco PAS pre w/Mods, Arcam DV-135, Music Hall MMF 5, AQ wires

Bedroom: SRS 3.1tl's, RTA 8T (phantom center), Pioneer sc-lx701, Mitsubishi 1080p 82" DLP, DirecTV, ps3

Car: SR 6500's.....Planet Audio HVT752 tube hybrid amps (2), Alpine dvd-a double din HU, two 12" Kicker's
  • Bikerduck
    Bikerduck Posts: 43
    edited September 2008
    Uriah Heep "Demons & Wizards" sounds pretty good if you crank it up.
    No SACD, just regular CD.
    Billy Cobham's "Spectrum" is another one I like to hear on the SDA
    MAIN:Kenwood M2a,C2,Sansui TU-517,Yamaha CDX-1100,Kenwood GE-1100,Nakamichi BX150,SDA 2a,Kenwood Ka-801,HPM-100
    DEN:Kenwood Basic M2,C2,T1,Yamaha CDX-1100,Parasound DHX 600,ADS 1090
    OFFICE:Kenwood Ka-8300,Technics SL-P770,Nakamichi BX150,Polk Monitor 7b
    BEDROOM:Kenwood Ka-7100,KT-6500,KX-1030,Teac Reference 500,Monitor 10b
    Yamaha CA 810,CT 810,Yamaha CDX-1060,Monitor M 5b
    Kenwood Basic M1a,C1,Yamaha CDX-930,KA-77,KT-313,KA-3500,KA-5700,Technics SU 8600,ST 8600
  • Bikerduck
    edited October 2008
    Listening to Gentle Giant's "Acquiring the Taste" for the first time on my SDA's
    was a very nice experience. If you like that kind of music I can only reccomend that disc. Just great!!!

Bikerduck
    MAIN:Kenwood M2a,C2,Sansui TU-517,Yamaha CDX-1100,Kenwood GE-1100,Nakamichi BX150,SDA 2a,Kenwood Ka-801,HPM-100
    Kenwood Basic M1a,C1,Yamaha CDX-930,KA-77,KT-313,KA-3500,KA-5700,Technics SU 8600,ST 8600
  • Hobie1dog
    Hobie1dog Posts: 17
    edited October 2008
    Janne wrote: »
    Sarah Brightman, Album Fly, Track When it rains in America. CNN honestly changes the forecast to thunderstorm, when I play that track.
    Lindsey Buckingham, Album Out of the cradle.

there is a Russian edition on Ebay now, is this the same one? it is a gold disc and they want 20.00 for it.
    Marry the right person, this one decision will determine 90% of your happiness.
  • Hobie1dog
    edited October 2008
    Paul Mauriat - Gold Collection - Sabre Dance, about 0:58 seconds into it the base drums start to really kick in and if you have the quick bass response and the 15" woofers, you will really enjoy yourself. Just make sure the wife is not home and crank it up a little.

I found a DVD of the concert that has that on it....is that the one you are talking about?
  • Hobie1dog
    edited October 2008
    Man, I've bought quite a few of these CD's you guys have recommended on Ebay this week, so I should have a boat load of CD's coming in the mail next week
  • Hobie1dog
    edited October 2008
    The Tori Amos CD is about the worst CD I've ever heard, she's not right, that's some weird **** sh#t there.

The Kraftwerk CD isn't much better unless you really like Disco music....anybody want some really cheap CD's?
  • Blinddog
    Blinddog Posts: 12
    edited November 2008
    Roger Waters - Radio KAOS

Yeah I know, going back a ways. I haven't listened to this album (Ok, CD) in like 20 years and it was well worth going back to and taking another listen. I swear to god, after a couple of beers and my newly purchased SDA speakers I was just about to shoot the neighbor's stupid dog for barking and ruining the intro to side two. Then I remembered that the stupid dog was on the album and not downstairs out the window. I giggled, sat back down, and relished...
  • akajimmy
    akajimmy Posts: 50
    edited November 2008
    Blinddog wrote: »
    Roger Waters - Radio KAOS

Yeah I know, going back a ways. I haven't listened to this album (Ok, CD) in like 20 years and it was well worth going back to and taking another listen. I swear to god, after a couple of beers and my newly purchased SDA speakers I was just about to shoot the neighbor's stupid dog for barking and ruining the intro to side two. Then I remembered that the stupid dog was on the album and not downstairs out the window. I giggled, sat back down, and relished...

OH that brings back memories. I went to that concert. Wow! When Welcome to the machine came on, it made my pants legs vibrate from the bass.

That is one of my favorite cds to listen to on the headphones.
  • Deadof_knight
    Deadof_knight Posts: 980
    edited December 2008
    Nickleback "Darkhorse" is a great cd.....Turn it up and play! The whole thing is awesome
    :cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • oldsoundguy
    oldsoundguy Posts: 3
    edited December 2008
    Are there any classical music lovers on this site? I could only find one listing for a classical selection. Does anyone have any classical recordings they could share with the group.

Thanks,

oldsoundguy
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited December 2008
    Add Styx "Mr Roboto" to your must have list. 4 minutes 15 seconds into the song;) Best SDA song yet.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Bikerduck
    edited December 2008
    Magna Carta
    "Ages & Seasons"
    got to turn in up a bit.....
  • Bikerduck
    edited December 2008
    Are there any classical music lovers on this site? I could only find one listing for a classical selection. Does anyone have any classical recordings they could share with the group.

Thanks,

oldsoundguy

Well, Schubert's "Death and the Maiden" sounds pretty good to me but it's an older pressing, 1988, so there might be a better version out by now.
    This one is from the Mandelring Quartet, recorded in Heidelberg in 1988
  • Qboneus
    Qboneus Posts: 15
    edited January 2009
    apocalyptica "worlds collide"

cello metal kicks butt!
    tal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worlds_Collide_(album)
  • cembros
    cembros Posts: 172
    edited January 2009
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,287
    edited February 2009
    Robert Plant and Alison Krauss Raising Sand Great CD great sound!!
    Kings of Leon only by the night I didn't care for the Kings of Leon's 1st 2 cd's but the 3rd and this one... I like it!!! Listen to it twice. Once just gets you in the groove the 2nd round you are sucked in.

Robin Thicke The Evolution Lots of bass nice Marvin type sound.

John Legend Evolver Another cd with great bass and so far I think one of his best CD's

Out of print but if you can find it, Lorna Hunt All in one day. If you like the Cowboy junkies version of sweet Jane then you will love the version of Piece of my heart ( Joplin) and Whipping post! Fantastic recording.

Dave Brubeck Time out LP NOT THE CD. I have the cd and it sucks. The LP is just night and day. I know someone did mention this but I did not know if they were talking about the cd or not. I should see if they made a remasted version...... !!

Rufus Wainwright Poses or Want one. On Poses, on some of the songs you can actually hear when his foot hits the peddle on the piano.

Steve Winwood About time and 9 lives great music and recorded great.

Fleetwood Mac The Dance. The Dynamics of this cd is fantastic! Get ready for some BOOM!

Great list!!
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    edited February 2009
    I forgot, Genisis Trick of the tail, I can't dance,
    Death Cab For Cutie Transatlanticism If you have never heard them they are not a hard rock band. Actually there sound is NOTHING like the name.

The entire queen News of the World and Night at the Opera. Now Night at the Opera, when you are done listening to it on the SDA's put on some headphones LOL
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    edited February 2009
    Damm Ok one more

Ray Lamontagne Either the Trouble CD or Gossip In The Grain.

If you never heard Ray... He has a old style to him.. Kind of like a cross between Cat Stevens and Van Morison from Into the Mystic.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,188
    edited March 2009
    Ok, I'm finally able to post in this thread. Happy about that, no doubt. Anyhoo, I'll be reading this entire thread in the next couple of weeks and most likely blowing a LOT of dough on some new music that brings out the best that SDA's have to offer.

I just heard the Eagle's Long Road out of Eden album, song #1 "No more walks in the woods" and I gotta say that this sounds pretty damned phenomenal with the SDA's. I'm nowhere even close to dialing in the new rig nor have I gotten all of the components in, let alone the entire rig hooked up yet but man, if this is any indication of what is to come, I'm looking very forward to hearing the end result of my latest project.

One of the singers was actually located outside [through a wall] the sound stage was so wide. Another singer was singing in my fireplace and you absolutely could not tell where the speakers were located. Very 3-D sound that wrapped all around you and envelops the room without throwing sounds where they shouldn't be. This is some cool ****.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mhw58
    mhw58 Posts: 359
    edited March 2009
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Ok, I'm finally able to post in this thread. Happy about that, no doubt. Anyhoo, I'll be reading this entire thread in the next couple of weeks and most likely blowing a LOT of dough on some new music that brings out the best that SDA's have to offer.

I just heard the Eagle's Long Road out of Eden album, song #1 "No more walks in the woods" and I gotta say that this sounds pretty damned phenomenal with the SDA's. I'm nowhere even close to dialing in the new rig nor have I gotten all of the components in, let alone the entire rig hooked up yet but man, if this is any indication of what is to come, I'm looking very forward to hearing the end result of my latest project.

One of the singers was actually located outside [through a wall] the sound stage was so wide. Another singer was singing in my fireplace and you absolutely could not tell where the speakers were located. Very 3-D sound that wrapped all around you and envelops the room without throwing sounds where they shouldn't be. This is some cool ****.

Interesting! There are a lot of cd's that give me a great SDA affect but NMWITW isn't one of them. I played the Eagles cd and it's just so so in the SDA department. Wonder why your system is getting such great affects and mine is not? I love that Eagles cd and it sounds great on my speakers but it's not giving me great SDA.
    Mike
    Mike
    Fronts: SDA1C's
    Rears: SDA2's
    Center:CS400i
    Sub: PSW505
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited March 2009
    I think he said Album not CD. I find some albums provide a better effect than others, same with CDs.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • Bikerduck
    edited April 2009
    Here is another one.
    King Crimson's "Larks' Tongues in Aspic"
    Very cool!
  • tripleguy
    tripleguy Posts: 22
    edited April 2009
    Norman Brown - That's the Way Love Goes (bass is outstanding on this cut)
    Shawn Colvin - Shotgun Down the Avalanch
    Duran Duran - Come Undone
    Prince - Sign of the Times
    David Essex - Rock On
    Chick Corea - Light Years
    Flim and the BBs
    Kim Pensyl - Pensyl Sketches
    Polk LS 50
    Polk SDA 2
    Polk Monitor 7B
    AR2ax
    Velodyne Sub
    Pioneer SX838, Marantz 2240, Pioneer SX780, Pioneer SX680, McIntosh 2550, Kenwood KA
  • tripleguy
    tripleguy Posts: 22
    edited April 2009
    Oh yeah, how could I forget:
    Stanley Clarke - Passenger 57 (you will need to bolt your SDAs to the floor on this one!)
    Polk LS 50
    Polk SDA 2
    Polk Monitor 7B
    AR2ax
    Velodyne Sub
    Pioneer SX838, Marantz 2240, Pioneer SX780, Pioneer SX680, McIntosh 2550, Kenwood KA