SDA Playlist

Comments

• StevieB
    StevieB Posts: 256
    edited November 2006
    Great site!! My 2cents would be.... Dire Straits 1st but all sound good , Who are You : The Who , Supernatural :Santana , Brain Salad Surgery : ELP , Bridge Of Sighs : Robin Trower , Electric Ladyland : Jimi Hendrix , You and Me & Blues Deluxe : Joe Bonamassa
    McCormack DNA-1 Amp, Parasound Halo P5 Pre Amp, Denon DVD 2900 CD player, Adcom GDA 700 DAC, VPI Traveler TT with Denon 103R cartridge, Lounge Audio MKiii phono pre and Copla SUT, Polk SDA SRS 3.1 TL speakers, Tributaries series 8 IC's and speaker cable.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited January 2007
    Emerson Lake & Palmer: "The Best of"

This is an incredible sounding CD on SDAs. The soundstage is absoutely huge and the 1.2 TLs simply disappear. Listening to this brought me back to the first ELP concert I attended 38 years ago in Philadelphia. The opening band was a little know group called, "Yes." I was about 13 years old then and needless to say that concert left a lasting impression on me.

Even if you don't like ELP or never even heard of them, this CD is worth every nickel and will blow you away.
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,329
    edited January 2007
    Emerson Lake & Palmer: "The Best of"

This is an incredible sounding CD on SDAs. The soundstage is absoutely huge and the 1.2 TLs simply disappear. Listening to this brought me back to the first ELP concert I attended 38 years ago in Philadelphia. The opening band was a little know group called, "Yes." I was about 13 years old then and needless to say that concert left a lasting impression on me.

Even if you don't like ELP or never even heard of them, this CD is worth every nickel and will blow you away.
    ELP brain surgery salad on DVDA is incredibile also REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited March 2007
    I forgot all about this thread until eeagle mentioned it in another thread, good eye :D

As if anyone didn't know...but...

Beck - Sea Change

and

The Secret Machines - Now Here is Nowhere
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • mhw58
    mhw58 Posts: 359
    edited May 2007
    I just played Blow by Blow by Jeff Beck and was blown away by the SDA effects. VERY wide soundstage and great production by George Martin.
    Try it out. Does anyone have the SACD of Blow by BLow and if so, how does it compare to the regular cd?
    MIke
    Fronts: SDA1C's
    Rears: SDA2's
    Center:CS400i
    Sub: PSW505
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited May 2007
    All of the best of Fleetwood Mac. "Tell me Lies" is phenomenal.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited May 2007
    Tell me lies is where it's at IMO.
  • mhw58
    mhw58 Posts: 359
    edited May 2007
    ben62670 wrote: »
    All of the best of Fleetwood Mac. "Tell me Lies" is phenomenal.

Are you talking about the song 'Little Lies' by FM. I have a lot of Fleetwood mac cd's and I can't find a song called 'Tell me lies' on any of them. What best of cd are you referring to?
    THanks, Mike
    Fronts: SDA1C's
    Rears: SDA2's
    Center:CS400i
    Sub: PSW505
  • Gary Batson
    Gary Batson Posts: 124
    edited May 2007
    I put on James Taylor Live expecting a treat. All the music was between the speakers and the aplause were to the left of the left speaker and to the right of the right speaker. Like there were two groups of people on each side of the speakers. GOOD MUSIC, BAD SDA.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    I put on James Taylor Live expecting a treat. All the music was between the speakers and the aplause were to the left of the left speaker and to the right of the right speaker. Like there were two groups of people on each side of the speakers. GOOD MUSIC, BAD SDA.

You sure about the mix being a good one? I have some great recordings but the engineering and mix were awful and the music was as you described. Usually my SDAs just blow me away with the sound staging.
  • Gary Batson
    edited May 2007
    No. I don't blame the speakers. Bad mix. I'm taking notes of some of the suggestions here. I thought I'd just point out a disapointing one.
  • Gary Batson
    edited May 2007
    DELETED :rolleyes:
  • BAD ASP
    BAD ASP Posts: 361
    edited June 2007
    I grew up in the 60's and 70's and I love all rock and roll and blues. I was just relaxing and listening to the best of Roy Orbison and I gotta tell ya his vocal range is not diminished one bit by the big Polks. So my vote for this day and this hour is Roy Orbison.
    Home Theater
    Amp: sunfire cinema grand signature 5ch 425 wpc
    Side surround amp: Sunfire 2 X 300
    Processor: sunfire theater grand V
    Fronts:: polk sda-srs 1.2
    Rears: Polk LSiFX
    Side surrounds: Fxi5
    Center: (2)polk LSiC's
    Sub: svs pb-13 rosenut
    Hd-Dvd: toshiba xa-2
    Blue Ray: oppo bdp83se
    Projector: sony vw60
    Screen: Da-Lite 106"
    APC S20 Power conditioner
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited June 2007
    I hate this thread....I keep going out looking for and spending more money on music! :D

Really, though...things like this open me up to more music than I used to listen to 20 years ago when my "blinders" were on. Now, it's a lot more eclectic than it used to be.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • hearingimpared
    edited June 2007
    I'm of the opinion that hardware will never be an issue as far a shortages go, however, software, that is good music, recorded well on a good medium won't always be available. That is why I have a monthly budget slated just for the acquisition of music.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited June 2007
    Led Zep Whole Lotta Love
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Janne
    Janne Posts: 139
    edited June 2007
    Sarah Brightman, Album Fly, Track When it rains in America. CNN honestly changes the forecast to thunderstorm, when I play that track.
    Lindsey Buckingham, Album Out of the cradle.
    HT/2 CH
    McIntosh MX120, MC500, MC206, MEN220
    polkaudio SDA SRS 1.2TL, XO, Inductor, Tweeter, Larry's rings, WBT Binding posts, Moretite and Dynamat mod. Built by Mollie Jones 27:th of February 1991, CS350-LS XO mod, LS-f/x, DSW MicroPro 4000
    MIT Shotgun S3.3 Bi-wire SC, Shotgun S3.3 SC, Shotgun S3.3 Proline IC, Shotgun S3.3 IC, Shotgun S3.3 Sub cable, AVT 1 Optical IC, EXP 3 Speaker interconnect.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited June 2007
    Janne wrote: »
    Sarah Brightman, Album Fly, Track When it rains in America. CNN honestly changes the forecast to thunderstorm, when I play that track.
    Lindsey Buckingham, Album Out of the cradle.

Hmmm. I'm going to see Lindsey Buckingham in concert this Saturday. ;)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Janne
    Janne Posts: 139
    edited June 2007
    danger boy wrote: »
    Hmmm. I'm going to see Lindsey Buckingham in concert this Saturday. ;)

You are a lucky guy! Enjoy! :)
    HT/2 CH
    McIntosh MX120, MC500, MC206, MEN220
    polkaudio SDA SRS 1.2TL, XO, Inductor, Tweeter, Larry's rings, WBT Binding posts, Moretite and Dynamat mod. Built by Mollie Jones 27:th of February 1991, CS350-LS XO mod, LS-f/x, DSW MicroPro 4000
    MIT Shotgun S3.3 Bi-wire SC, Shotgun S3.3 SC, Shotgun S3.3 Proline IC, Shotgun S3.3 IC, Shotgun S3.3 Sub cable, AVT 1 Optical IC, EXP 3 Speaker interconnect.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,030
    edited June 2007
    Art of Noise - Who's Afraid of......

Beat box
    Moments in Love
    Close to the Edit

are all excellent on SDA's.

Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers

Lots of great seperation on this cd

Yello - Flag
    Yello - One Second
    Depeche Mode - Violator
    Jewel - This Way
    The Who - Live at Leeds

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited August 2007
    Branford Marsalis,
    Yes
    Rush Moving Pictures and 2112
    Led Zepplin Houses of the Holy
    ELP
    Thirty Eight Special, you can hear to distinct drumsets. Kinda cool
    The Doors
    The Who
    VH Balance and there first album.

Been a while so I don't remember all the ones I loved on my SDA's.
  • analog97
    analog97 Posts: 328
    edited August 2007
    David Crosby- "If I could only remember my name"
    Jennifer Warnes- "Famous blue raincoat"
    Indio- "Big Harvest"
    Leonard Cohen-"New skin for an old ceremony"
    Red Rider-"Lunatic Fringe"
    Nick Drake-"Five leaves later"
  • nik_martinov
    nik_martinov Posts: 37
    edited September 2007
    Paul Mauriat - Gold Collection - Sabre Dance, about 0:58 seconds into it the base drums start to really kick in and if you have the quick bass response and the 15" woofers, you will really enjoy yourself. Just make sure the wife is not home and crank it up a little.
  • dagame27
    dagame27 Posts: 560
    edited September 2007
    The Doors
    "Riders on the storm" from LA Woman, especially on the 180g vinyl
    ChrisPreamp: Anthem Pre 2L (Jan-Phillips Green) Processor: Integra DHC 80.2Amp: B&K 200.5Streaming: Bluesound Node 2IDAC: Eastern Electric Minimax Plus4K Bluray: Panasonic UB820Mains: Von Schweikert VR2Center: Von Schweikert LCR15Analysis Plus Cables
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2007
    dagame27 wrote: »
    The Doors
    "Riders on the storm" from LA Woman, especially on the 180g vinyl

Heeeeeyyy how'd you get that? I've been waiting for mine to come in. . .first they said September now they (Elusive Disc) are talking mid October!!!
  • dagame27
    edited September 2007
    of all things, I found a used copy (although it looked and sounds unplayed) at reckless records in Chicago. It's the 180g import version. I am looking forward to the upcoming doors heavy vinyl boxset, definitely on my list!
    ChrisPreamp: Anthem Pre 2L (Jan-Phillips Green) Processor: Integra DHC 80.2Amp: B&K 200.5Streaming: Bluesound Node 2IDAC: Eastern Electric Minimax Plus4K Bluray: Panasonic UB820Mains: Von Schweikert VR2Center: Von Schweikert LCR15Analysis Plus Cables
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited September 2007
    If you have it try,,some early Fleetwood Mac,"Albatross" with Peter Green on guitar,,,or Lindsey Buckingham's "Out of the cradle"
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • dagame27
    edited October 2007
    Seems like any decent vintage rock music works great on the SDA's. Currently listening to the Beatles "White Album" LP, and its great.
  • hearingimpared
    edited October 2007
    dagame27 wrote: »
    Seems like any decent vintage rock music works great on the SDA's. Currently listening to the Beatles "White Album" LP, and its great.

I have the new release of the White Album and it sounds terrible to me.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited October 2007
    I have the new release of the White Album and it sounds terrible to me.
    Ever heard of The Clamp?

:p
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D