NC mountains

Comments

• WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    edited October 6
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    @Kex And you took it political...get out of this thread, or we can discuss the border(FEMA) and Ukraine

You can stay only if you pledge.....

He didn't take it political, others mentioned FEMA misinformation yesterday.
    Discuss away:

https://www.newsweek.com/kamala-harris-fema-hurricane-helene-relief-funding-biden-1963998

While the funds are distributed by FEMA, they do not come from the agency's budget.

Keep spreading that misinformation from your glorious orange leader.

Maybe it was KJP that spread the misinformation

I guess you missed where it stated FEMA distributed the money in the first link.
    But I see you use right wing social media sound bites for your news. There is probably no reasoning with you. Keep bowing to dear leader.

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,967
    edited October 6
    Guys, let's knock off the political talk in an effort to get the thread shut down. This thread was made to let folks be aware of the situation in the mountains.

If it reflects badly on an entity or anything/anyone else, then let the facts fall where they may.

Now, can we please get back to the subject matter and stop disobeying the Club Polk rules?

Tom
    Post edited by treitz3 on
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,591
    That woman had all she could do at times to hold back. She has gone above & beyond. She is tough. God Bless her & may the Lord guide her.. What a mess & such a sad outcome situation
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,591
    edited October 6
    Sorry. Double post
  • treitz3
    edited October 6
    Just got in my Google travel log for last month. It's actually missing some areas I visited from the week before that. On the right is all work related stuff. On the left is fun time stuff. I'm up in the mountains often and many of the photos I have seen, I can easily place where they are. Heck, even the wife recognized where the temporary rock/mud road coming out of Banner Elk was.

d9mnkwv8gf5l.png

We have cancelled all of our mountain trips for this year, as to not burden the local folks. It takes too long to get up to the cabins near Byson City (where Carverfest is held) due to roads being closed until late next year.

I will be able to take the family up to my Dad's cabin to go visit him. His area didn't get hit that bad. The main damage in that area (near Lake Toxaway) was down at the stream/river basins and the power infrastructure. He finally has power again (and can communicate good now with the outside world).

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    More pics of the destruction.
    rilnmd444yln.jpg
    c8i7f24gxuvp.jpg
    e8oe55c5rcb3.jpg
    0n0b59dv75a8.jpg

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    Here is another perspective at just how widespread the damage was...

ollsv6u6u9c9.png

Tom
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,143
    Improvements to power outages over the last three days…

0900 October 4 👇

zncaymju5r4l.jpeg

0900 October 7 👇

wpm39ybmgnlw.jpeg

Alea jacta est!
  • charley96
    charley96 Posts: 319
    And now Milton has been upgraded to a category 5. Prayers for everyone in its path.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,143
    FEMA can do things that nobody else can do, such as when they commandeered hotel and resort rooms as well as Airbnb rentals for displaced residents in Maui, and providing temporary housing.

Support for survivors of Hurricane Helene has already exceeded $210 million.
    • Nearly 7,000 personnel deployed.
    • Shipped over 15.6 million meals.
    • Provided more than 13.9 million liters of water.
    • 157 generators and more than 505,000 tarps provided.
    • $32 million in housing and other types of assistance for over 27,000 households in NC alone.
    • 1,200 Urban Search and Rescue personnel in the field in NC.
    • Rescued or supported over 3,200 survivors to date in NC.
    • Active-duty military personnel supporting the response = 1,500 in NC.
    • As of today, more than 86% of originally reported power outages have been restored.
    • Less than 20% of cellular sites are currently down in NC.
    • Starlink units provided to ensure first responders can communicate with each other.
    Alea jacta est!
  • treitz3
    charley96 wrote: »
    And now Milton has been upgraded to a category 5. Prayers for everyone in its path.

I just saw that about a half hour ago. This makes landfall a CAT 4 now. With it possibly slowing down, it may have the time to grow.

I know the mountains have been getting the brunt of attention but FL's West Coast has already been ravaged and has just now started the recovery in many areas. This is the last thing they need.

Tom
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,700
    treitz3 wrote: »
    charley96 wrote: »

I just saw that about a half hour ago. This makes landfall a CAT 4 now. With it possibly slowing down, it may have the time to grow.

I know the mountains have been getting the brunt of attention but FL's West Coast has already been ravaged and has just now started the recovery in many areas. This is the last thing they need.

Tom

Yep, my stepdad has been dealing with the damage from 1-2 feet of water that flooded his condo in New Port Richey. If anything, his place will be cleared out of carpet/padding and the lower 2ft of drywall will already be removed when Milton hits. Milton will be further south so maybe he won't get hit as bad with surge, but the winds are likely to be much higher. The barrier islands around Tampa may not be recognizable after Milton.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,337
    @Mikey081057 lives where it may come ashore as well.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,255
    Not sure where @erniejade condo or @tonyb daughter resides
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,337
    Not sure where @erniejade condo or @tonyb daughter resides

I'm pretty sure @erniejade is in the panhandle, the last one missed him.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,121
    We have family just south of Tampa and just got news of it making cat 5. That's the worst news we could hear and prayers said for them and all of Florida.
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,145
    Kex wrote: »
    Perspective.

blgo05fbxn9y.png

Some people think this is a laughing matter.

Who is this really?
    Tell me how you have these stats?
    Are you representing someone, an agenda or party?

Why would you do something like this?

Skip
  • skipshot12
    Kex wrote: »
    Perspective.

blgo05fbxn9y.png

Some people think this is a laughing matter.

My wife is making quilts, by hand, to send for aid.
    While some folks^ want to take this time to shoot barbs.
    Grab your blanket and go home now.

Skip
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,374
    Handmade quilts take a lot of time to make... but they will still likely get there before FEMA does.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,356
    Natural disasters can be so devasting, these results are so sad and heart breaking.

I was up in Tacoma when St Helens blew. Before the eruption, local residents were advised to evacuate. News casters interviewed some of the residents and they thought the whole thing was a hoax and refused to move. They are now one with the country side.

I was 146 miles from the volcano and the AF base (including my street bike) was covered in ash the day after she blew.

Months after she blew, I was up in 2 seater T-33 ride. The pilot flew us to the volcano and banked right over the mouth. We got a good look down inside, it was still smoldering.
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • F1nut

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    I was up in Tacoma when St Helens blew.

Small world. Same here. We were crossing the Tacoma Narrows bridge with my Grandparents when it blew.

Tom

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,120
    CitizenFreePress.com might be a viable information alternative

https://x.com/CollinRugg/status/1843341203107880993?t=aalmdfFxxl1YbC13ewx5tg&s=19

Many irrational and unexplained things going on
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Geoff4rfc
    edited October 7
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    I was up in Tacoma when St Helens blew.

Small world. Same here. We were crossing the Tacoma Narrows bridge with my Grandparents when it blew.

Tom

Nice, I was a young buck at 20 that year. You should see the Narrows bridge now. It's a one-way bridge with a new bridge alongside of it, coming back from Gig Harbor. A 3 laner with a 4th as an exit lane off the bridge. I'm just glad I'm not old enough to have crossed Galloping Gertie :)
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • Geoff4rfc
    edited October 7

• BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,256
    In my college days, we viewed and studied the Galloping Gertie video in one of my Physics classes.

Also, the video was in a science fiction movie as destroyed by aliens from another galaxy. Can't remember the name of the movie.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • skipshot12
    Handmade quilts take a lot of time to make... but they will still likely get there before FEMA does.

Thankfully it doesn’t take the wife that long to make a quilt.
    She has fabric cut and just needs to assemble.
    She is so compassionate…
  • skipshot12
    file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/24/04/E8C05D54-720A-4916-9F36-5117D874F1E3/IMG_1871.heic
    This is a 40 hour quilt, but both sides look like this and it is about a twin size quilt.

8u48a0w7wsd4.png

She keeps these ready to assemble, for such needs.
    What a woman.