NC mountains

VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,560
Not sure if I saw a post but man were they absolutely hammered but this hurricane

Hope all the best for anyone in this

za78xq2rq3k5.jpg
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.

Comments

• That before and after is unreal, I was at one of those restaurants earlier this summer. Just terrible for all those people and their businesses.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,428
    Wow. Looks like they got 12.45" of rain. Most I've had here is around 9".
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,255
    Wow, sad….
    Been in that area a couple times back in 90’s. Would go ski with a Texas high school friend when he moved up there at Sugar Mountain
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited September 28
    I-26
    ft272cg8y5z7.jpg

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    I-40
    ocprdumtyb0m.jpg

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Here are two videos:
    Drone of flooded North Carolina's Biltmore Village
    https://www.foxweather.com/watch/play-767aa42400011a4
    s5xsge51ic95.png

Kisner Bridge collapses on Highway 107 in East Tennessee
    https://www.foxweather.com/watch/play-7678ec2c20011a4
    rfr890jsxire.png
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,967
    I have a host of information and pics but I am still in recovery mode. Trying to get life back to normal.

Has anyone heard from Matt @HzTweaker ?

I hope all is well with him. Things are FUBAR'd to the west of me. We finally got power and communication last night. Been cleaning up and trying to get back to normal ever since.

If you have a love one you have not heard from? This may help...

8pltnlk796ic.jpg

The area is devastated. From FL to the TN/NC mountains. It's probably old news for the nation.....any news at all for those affected.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    Just heard from my last hold out today, they were in New York at his mom's cabin in the Adirondacks, intentionally no cell service.

Thank God everyone is ok. I was thinking I was going to have to mount up and take a drive to Cookeville this morning to find out if they were ok.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • treitz3
    edited September 29
    There was 3' of rain over the course of 3 days in some areas. At casa de Reitz? 14" within two days.

Greer SC is devastated. FL coasts in the big bend and further down than Tampa? Anyone who had a job on the first floor is now jobless and will be for some time.

Western NC and surrounding areas are all closed. In other words, impassable.

More to come but not tonight.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,800
    Wow, those pics are crazy, and I cannot imagine what else has been devastated. Prayers for all.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,255
    Wife and I were talking about the devastation last night. Being on the coastal areas most our lives we cannot always be 100% prepared when these storms come ashore, but at least we can expect it and try to prepare for the worst.

This catastrophe was a blind side for those so far inland and unexpected. We feel great sorrow for those left in these devastating circumstances and remorse for those who lost love ones and friends.

🙏❤️ ☮️
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • treitz3
    Ron, you are correct in that many folks were blindsided by this. Most everyone knew it was coming but this one came in with more intensity than most everyone in our area expected.

I was out on the front porch at 5:30 in the morning and was thinking that this would be no sweat. By the time I went back out on the front porch at 6:30? Yeah, I knew it was gonna be real bad.....and that's when I heard the cracks of a massive tree in our backyard uproot. Shortly after that, we lost power.

I'll take that loss and count my blessings. The horror stories that are still unfolding as I type are heartbreaking. The death toll will be unknown for some time.

4367wtdrmmr4.png

Not a joke either. ^^^ They are telling people to stay out of the area, so rescue crews can clear the roads, rescue people and repair/rebuild the electrical infrastructure. In some cases, people will not have power for weeks, as the entire infrastructure has been damaged beyond repair or simply washed away.

This is a typical mountain road that has been cleared....

ipatfle58jz1.png

I know it's not technically cleared but it is for them right now.. It is like a slalom course, trying to navigate through the roads and it's not just up in the mountains. I see the same type of photos just 40 miles west of me. The destruction is unreal.

Tom

• 😳😳😳😳😳😳
    Sal Palooza
  • treitz3
    edited October 4
    Okay folks, this has gotten way less news that should have been and has been. It is a clusterf*ck beyond any reasonable or even irrational proportion.

People are still dying in WNC as I type. People going into work because they don't have power are passing by bodies, thankful that they are still alive to even make it to work. Folks who are cleaning up the mud from their businesses are finding bodies buried under the mud.

I have documented much of this and there are some things I cannot talk about on the public front but growing up? I never would have thought that I would see what I see now. The sheer swath of devastation and how far and widespread it is.....it's truly heartbreaking.

Some of the photos and screenshots I will share with you. many of you have seen before. Some of you will see it for the first time.

I will start here. This is a single neighborhood 40 miles to the west of me (close to Charlotte NC). Yes, there was flooding but this is the wind damage 550 or so miles INLAND.

q7k255bee8qt.png

yc0q18f8qysp.png

32k55zygb4k3.png

i3lex858in99.png

zzphh0j52mg3.png

9r84w7fc9ptd.png

These are photos from Greer, SC. In one neighborhood. It took my buddy 30 minutes to navigate out of that neighborhood after the storm, as many roads were blocked. 4 days later ( and without being without power for 3 days as it stood? With 3 large utility trucks and a crane? They finally restored power last night.

This is in one neighborhood 40 miles to the west of me.

Keep in mind, during this time? No power. Duh. But with no power comes no water. No internet. No cell service. Even texts would take up to 12 hours to come through. It took me days to even get these photos. Communication was in the abyss. Keep in mind, I was on the outskirts of this storm.

Even being on the outskirts, I lost one massive tree that took out 4 other trees. As mentioned? I'll take that loss and be grateful for it, considering what other folks lost. Read this paragraph and the last one again and let that sink in. No communication with the outside world whatsoever.

Folks in WNC are STILL experiencing this and will be for some time. Entire communities and towns are still in need of basic needs. I don't mean basic, like cell service or electricity. I am talking basic like food and water!

As of this post, 1M people are still without power. That said, the utilities are covered as well as could be. We have crews from Canada, and all over the US. I have personally seen more utility companies here (convoy's of 30 or 40 - conservatively) than I have ever seen in my life.

We are actually having gas shortages here because of all of the crews headed that way to help out. Not only are they filling up....they are filling up 5 gallon gas cans like it's normal. 5, 10 and 15 at a time.....so they can make it in and back out without running out.

More later.

Tom

Post edited by treitz3 on
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,192
    Thanks for the info Tom. What a terrible disaster. Glad you’re ok.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • treitz3
    This is Linville Falls before...

c235exjctqzl.png

After....

gc2hq492lbbv.png

This is after they have "cleared" the road....

2i52qwbha4b1.png

A RR track at an undisclosed location...

ybj4a1mvhlgw.png

This is a shot of Lake Norman PRIOR to the peak, just North of me...

w1upp0qr9gek.png

Here is an aerial shot before the photo you have probably all seen by now (posted earlier on ground level)....obviously prior to the road collapse.....

dnoemx1tsqhf.png

More later....gotta get back to life again....

Tom

• F1nut
    Very bad situation that isn't being addressed as it should.

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    Local to me... Winthrop University...

nlcl0jr7nmlc.png

s89ytyea14of.png

0pntogqr5wsn.png

4t9o8bf4tx55.png

^^^ debris in the lakes. We had volunteered to do a "Lake cleanup" this weekend. The local Sheriff's Department stated that one should "Boat at their own risk".....I think you could see why.

I have seen videos of tractor trailers and houses falling over the Lake Lure Dam. When one looks at a dam? They think that nothing would crest it. After this? I look at dams in a WHOLE new light. We had a total of 3 dams that were on the brink of breaking, "imminent failure" or videos (when we got them) of dams that were overflowing WAY beyond capacity. Thank the man above that none of them broke.

But you can tell from the.....let me stop here. Have you seen the debris from the Lake Lure Dam? The Federal Gub'ment will no longer allow people to photograph or film this but I caught it before that kind of BS.

qtmtmw02xxqd.png

t952xqejlxzv.png

1x562miztevq.png

gbm0gxnav6ww.png

cpsshkl7fz4m.png

I'm sure many of you have seen the last photo.....I have on the National news. That's the ONLY photo of the ones I have shared that has actually been (or seen by me) on the national news......now, please keep in mind that I was dark (no communication to the outside world) for a stint....but I will still share these photos with you, if you have seen them or not.

Tom

• treitz3
    edited October 4
    I really need to go to bed....

The next set of photos are a mud pit that was a beautiful lawn. Now, a mud pit.....and a debris field next to a stream/small river...

s9jhj42cydym.png

Speaking of small streams.....

uvglve9d26d1.png

Some Many eyewitnesses that are still walking this big, blue marble are saying that the water rose anywhere between 3 to 10 feet per half an hour during the flash flooding. Keep in mind, we are hearing from those who survived.

One Air BNB user was denied a refund for her and her "Girls" weekend out prior to the storm. Long story short, her boyfriend called her in the AM the morning after they checked in
    and asked if she was in any danger of flooding. She said, no, we are fine.....until she looked out the window and saw that the water was surrounding the cabin she and the other lady friends had rented.

She moved her and her girlfriends cars up to higher ground and the boyfriends immediately dispatched to them from Raleigh, NC.

It took the BF's 12 hours to get there, due to trees down and road closures but they finally made it there to get them.

The cars they left behind are a mystery as to whether or or not they are still there. Same with the Air BNB. Maybe the Air BNB should have offered a refund prior to the storm?

Okay, well, that's debatable but not my point. Hopefully the owners of the Air BNB still have a house. Good luck to all of the women that left their cars.

• F1nut
    How the heck does that mess get cleaned up!?!

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    From Florida, through, GA into SC, NC, TN and VA?

FIIK.

Massive, massive landfills?

Tom
  • VR3
    It's truly insane to see the photos. We were just up there a month ago and that whole area we were in is basically gone.

Lots of small planes and helicopters keep flying in and out of the Charlotte area.

- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    I was JUST there, even where the landslide was in the backseat of a vehicle, that I hoped survived. Literally 2 weeks ago. Same pass.

Now, it appears as if we will NOT be able to pass, unless we go up to VA and back down. Oi. Long is good in p.o.r.n but is bad in this situation.

I can't drive 55!!

Tom

• F1nut
    No more beer for you tonight

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    The reality is this.

There are two major roads leading into and from TN and NC. Both are FUBAR. I am sure that most of us can recognize this. When I say FUBAR? I mean this....

The latest reports are as follows -

I-40....yeah, closed until September of 2025!

Latest update? I-26 Closed until March of 2025!

5nkdqe4l1aem.png

For those that travel frequently? Well, take the long road and enjoy the ride. It is what it is.

Tom
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 3,030
    The photos are jaw dropping and I'm sure being there in person is mind blowing to say the least. Insult to injury, they are saying another big storm is brewing in the Gulf.

Gonna be a long time before things are anywhere near "normal" there.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,428
    And there aren't enough funds for another hurricane and $900M of FEMA funds have been used for arguably questionable things. Enough said.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,818
    The President can move money around with Congresses approval.
    Get to work DC.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • VR3
    edited October 4
    Maybe we ask Ukraine for a loan, I hear they have $114,000,000,000