NC mountains

Comments

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,428
    edited October 4
    Trailing Twelve Month FEMA COVID19 actual estimated expenditures are still $23.3B. Let that sink in when the pandemic is long over!

https://www.fema.gov/sites/default/files/documents/fema_ofo-may2024disasterrelieffundreport.pdf
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,700
    edited October 4
    Tragic. That is the only way to describe any of this. Its going to be years of recovery and some of these communities may never rebuild.
    Tom, I think there is press coverage on this. People are talking about it. News is covering this as much as possible, but it takes time to get a comprehensive view, especially with the massive swath of damage from Tampa all the way to southern Virginia. Even with that, from what I'm seeing, the NC mountains are getting the most coverage, probably because the images are jaw dropping and heartbreaking. Most of us cannot fathom how the infrastructure in these areas was just completely obliterated in a mater of hours or minutes in some cases.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • billbillw
    edited October 4
    https://www.cnn.com/2024/10/03/weather/hurricane-helene-north-carolina-before-after-images-climate/index.html
    Even if you prefer a more right leaning news source, this has a series of bone chilling before/after comparisons. In many of these cases, the rivers have significantly shifted their course after the storm. How are you going to rebuild if there is a river where your buildings and roads used to be?
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,788
    I've been in contact with Matt @HzTweaker. He's good but without power and other comforts. No damage to the home or property but had to use the quad to get off the bluff and head to the Litte Switzerland village to check in. A generator and Starlink set up. It's a bleak outlook up there.
  • billbillw
    edited October 4
    A video taken from the ground by a local who walked into Chimney Rock on Tuesday. There is no quick fix for any of this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYdC-6nShdc
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    That's crazy
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,255
    It all takes time...
    After Ike in Galveston, the homes that still stood looked like boulders ran through them. 80% of the homes and business flooded anywhere from 2'-15'. The debris left on the island was moved off to a very large parcel of land by the dumpster loads, then later put on railcars and hauled off the island.

The water and sewage infrastructure was decimated, meaning even if your house made it, you were not allowed to use the bathroom. The communication networks fiber and copper, all gone. The Red Cross had brought in portable mini towers/boosters and placed them all over the island for cell comm.

I came back on the island 2 days after the storm as I had and Essential Personnel Tag, without it, you were not let on the island for over another week, and even that was limited. Getting to the island was a chore as the the Gulf Fwy was littered with debris, boats, vehicles, and yachts. Once on the island it was spooky with all the military, 1st responders, even military aircraft swarming the island.

The island lost 40% of there residents. Many homes were never returned too, were even a year later, never entered....people just left during the evacuation and never came back.
    I camped out in my home for 3 weeks, before I got power. I took my baths with bottled water, I hauled my personal waste off in a bucket when I went to work.

My wife and dogs were in Dallas with my daughter in Dallas. I was without power for the first week, till my buddy on the west side of Houston was done with his generator. The first couple of days weren't so bad. I had started freezing jugs and bottles of water 3 days before the storm and stuffing them in my fridge and freezer. So I was of the very few that didn't lose mine. Had wood for the pit, and propane for the grill and cooked for myself and the neighbors till it ran out. Then most left...and without the Etag could not return. Still consider myself and my family blessed and lucky.

Helene victims will rebuild, some will move on, the state will start accessing soon and engineers will figure it out. I feel for those, because I know I can evacuate, but they were victims like a tornado...no warning.

Mother Nature controls it all, she bares us fruit, and sometimes rotten circumstances.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,115
    VR3 wrote: »
    Maybe we ask Ukraine for a loan, I hear they have $114,000,000,000

This heard Fema ran out of funds taking money to give to the newcomers and Ukraine. It's a crying shame that our own taxpaying citizens have to go through this!!! God bless everyone affected from this. To bad someone dont have your backs!!!
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,967
    billbillw wrote: »
    Tom, I think there is press coverage on this. People are talking about it.

I was cautious when I made that post because I didn't want to turn this thread into a political discussion. After hearing from people in the area, seeing videos (not on the MSM) and photographs, there was much more "news" that I hadn't heard a peep of on the national level at that time. Only devastation coverage, which was appropriate.

The news I am talking about is finally starting to come out and frankly, it's about damned time.

It all started when I first heard a report of a volunteer Helicopter flying near Lake Lure (on his own dime, mind you), who had just rescued....tell you what. Just type in these keywords into a browser and you can read from any news source you want. helicopter pilot lake lure fire department rescue husband behind arrest

I heard this and was infuriated. Then I started hearing about other "news" from the area that the "help" wasn't really helping, only hindering and then reports of donations for the hurricane victims being seized and used for another disaster because the donations did not come from a "preferred" vendor. Then you heard yesterday about the engineer reporting about the Starlink distribution and the banning of videos. Then there is the title 10 thing.

You add it all up and I was getting frustrated at seeing the destruction, knowing what was actually happening and not seeing even a hint of it on the national scene. Well, it all seems to be slowly trickling out now for all to see. That's what I was talking about.

Reporting on the destruction is one thing. All media outlets have done a fine job on this IMO. That said, reporting on the confiscation of donated supplies, the threats of arrests for those pilots who were trying to rescue people, the thwarting at all levels of getting supplies to those who desperately need it (and the list goes on extensively), along with the very clear perceived element of covering up what they didn't want the general public to know (about any of this), is what really burst my bubble.

It's out there now, so there is no stopping that domino effect. All one has to do now, is a little bit of research. It does need to be known by all Americans, though.

This should explain part of my frustration. At the same time of knowing about all of the aforementioned, I am reading posts like this from folks who are in the area of destruction....so I had a very heavy heart and was fuming at "certain entities" at the same time. Please allow me to share this heart wrenching post from someone who lives up there and is going through this firsthand.

ezebt0k9n7hj.png

qc8b1ww8cwu0.png

e50l84sis214.png

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    I'd like to take this opportunity to give a shout out to a historical restaurant in our area. Kounter.

https://www.postandcourier.com/hurricanewire/kounter-restaurant-hurricane-helene-rock-hill-sc/article_7e950b8e-80e0-11ef-bc1f-7f71cbf8d8db.html

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/popular-rock-hill-restaurant-provides-meals-utility-workers/UIPKKQZ5CRE6FOJHE3PDM7XGWQ/

This extremely successful establishment has closed their doors to the public to feed linemen headed into the affected areas. Rob Masone is a true class act and one hell of a chef. I have and will continue to support his business endeavors. Not only because of his incredible meals but because of the generosity that he has put out here to feed these linemen.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,256
    Such a sad tragedy for the people and environment.

Memories: In my younger days, I traveled throughout those mountains in winter and summer. Beautiful memories and images are still in my mind. Boone, Linville, Grandfather Mountain, Sugar Mountain, Daniel Boone Inn, Blocking Rock, Banner Elk, N. Wilksboro (NASCAR), etc. Take I-85 to HWY-221 just north of Spartanburg SC; then branch off HWY-221to many other places. Sometimes with snow chains when in mountains. I remember so many small motels along those mountain highways.

NC is a beautiful state.

@VR3 and @treitz3 you guys are closer and live in NC so I can't imagine how horrific it feels for you. Tom, I appreciate your concern for those areas that are dear to you and wanting to let the world know about the seriousness of the situation of the people.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • treitz3
    After I was able to establish communication with the outside world again, I asked Trey (@VR3) if he made it through unscathed. He lives 40 miles to the West of me. He stated that it was just a typical day for him. 40 miles to the East of me and beyond is a WHOLE other story.

I finally found what I believe is the article (looks to be reprinted) that brought my awareness to the helicopter pilot. This one is very informative of what I actually read - https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/helicopter-pilot-flying-helene-rescue-missions-in-nc-ordered-out-threatened-with-arrest/ar-AA1rB1kM

Why would anyone (especially and official trying to help people himself) try to thwart people rescuing people? Why would you close down the area to air traffic when (at the time) their were only two Blackhawks that were in the area? That day, there were 40 volunteer helicopter pilots in the area helping to rescue people and deliver much needed survival supplies to folks who had been ravished. All of those pilots were using their own equipment and everything was on their dime to help folks.

It's simply one of those WTF moments. Unfortunately, there have been many of those with regards to Halene's rescue and help/relief efforts.

Tom
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,428
    edited October 5
    I just heard Kat Cammack say that the FAA told her that the order to shut down private air traffic came from the Governor of NC and Lt. Governor and he may be at odds. I haven't fact checked.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • treitz3
    Just as an FYI. The requests for donations have shifted a bit. There is a cold front moving in and the lows at night will get down to 40 degrees. in higher elevations, it will drop down to 30 degrees. Please remember, their are still entire communities that we haven't been able to reach yet. Mules are providing support and supplies when they can to some of those areas.

This will affect not only relief workers (who may not have a way to get home for appropriate clothing) but for those who are now homeless and lost everything but what they are currently wearing. Leaders of the Banner Elk area are telling folks to leave, as their is no hope for getting the water and sewer system up and running again for the foreseeable future.

That situation is but one of many across the areas affected. There are still many folks in that area who do not have power and won't for a while, due to the infrastructure (above and below ground) being damaged or simply not there anymore due to the destruction.

Some of the folks who are getting the mud out of their homes and businesses are reporting discovering dead bodies buried under the mud within these structures, as they are removing it. There is no telling how many folks were buried - or caskets that were once buried that are now relocated to unknown locations.

Some of you may have already seen this, maybe some of you have not. The first pic is a far away shot, the second pic zooms in a little closer.

6a5pq19wqf6e.png

7wxm2h34f9va.png

Tom

• F1nut
    Perspective
    cltntormktz1.png

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    Katrina also never went so far inland with force. Helene hit with extreme intensity, well into the interior of the US.

Tom
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,143
    Perspective.

blgo05fbxn9y.png

Some people think this is a laughing matter.

Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    The FEMA budget for Katrina currently stands at $50B, based on the link that was posted earlier.

FEMA funding for the entire 2024 season, which just started, was recently increased to $50B, after a $20B increase that was rejected by 82 members of congress. Look them up.

Does anyone think that will be enough? Do you agree to have your tax dollars spent on this, or will you ask who they intend to vote for first?
    Alea jacta est!
  • txcoastal1
    edited October 5
    @Kex And you took it political...get out of this thread, or we can discuss the border(FEMA) and Ukraine

You can stay only if you pledge.....

3jqr5v2v3xvs.gif
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• F1nut
    Kex wrote: »
    Perspective.

blgo05fbxn9y.png

Some people think this is a laughing matter.

Not at all. I'm laughing at yet another of your trolling attempts.

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    @Kex - you were banned from this forum once. Lord only knows how and why you got back in.

Take what I can't see (on ignore) and be gone again.

I seriously do not even know what you post to know that you are a troll of this forum. At this point? It's predictable. Without even seeing what you post? I can almost guarantee that folks will agree with me. You are THAT predictable.

Mods, can't you see this for what it is.....and who it is for what it is? It's like the never ending story, just a different year.

The subject matter on this thread is too important to get caught up in what.....well, you get the gist.

Tom
  • Kex
    For the record @treitz3, I have NEVER been banned from this forum.
    Alea jacta est!
  • treitz3
    edited October 5
    STOP! Troll another post. This is not the thread to shut down for your agenda.

Tom
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,587
    I have friends in the Hendersonville (south Asheville) area in a fairly steep area. Here is what they just posted.

1pc8ggnnzj6n.jpeg
    y8j3z346mjaq.jpeg
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • txcoastal1
    On Point Rescue is try but need more transportations

Seems like many are answering on Facebook. Saw this on the news a couple days ago

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2024/10/04/trucks-drivers-needed-to-transport-essentials-to-hurricane-helenes-hardest-hit-areas/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/628919354995136/

• bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,865
    Thanks for this post. I have been wondering the best way to contribute, so I just took your lead. I was in this immediate area (Maggie Valley, NC) two weeks before the disaster. Been going there every year at least once, if not twice, per year for the past 20 years usually on a motorcycle to enjoy the phenomenal riding in the region and made many friends in and around the area during my visits. God bless the sweet people there.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,771
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    @Kex And you took it political...get out of this thread, or we can discuss the border(FEMA) and Ukraine

3jqr5v2v3xvs.gif

He didn't take it political, others mentioned FEMA misinformation yesterday.
    Discuss away:

https://www.newsweek.com/kamala-harris-fema-hurricane-helene-relief-funding-biden-1963998

While the funds are distributed by FEMA, they do not come from the agency's budget.

Keep spreading that misinformation from your glorious orange leader.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,600
    After Katrina, Bush took a lot of heat for the slow response.
    How is this any different? All the information I see shows me that
    volunteer groups and locals are doing the real work. Federal response
    is slow to come. Given the close proximity of military air units, why don't
    we see them out in force? People in charge are NOT thinking outside
    the box.
    At this point, a lot of good people have pulled together to help.
    Those are the ones that deserve my respect. My money will go
    to those organizations that are truly making a difference on the
    ground.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • txcoastal1
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

3jqr5v2v3xvs.gif

He didn't take it political, others mentioned FEMA misinformation yesterday.
    Discuss away:

https://www.newsweek.com/kamala-harris-fema-hurricane-helene-relief-funding-biden-1963998

While the funds are distributed by FEMA, they do not come from the agency's budget.

Keep spreading that misinformation from your glorious orange leader.

Maybe it was KJP that spread the misinformation

https://x.com/Apoctoz/status/1842578046081282531?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1842578046081282531|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=safari-reader://therightscoop.com/breaking-white-house-karine-jean-pierre-told-a-big-fat-lie-about-biden-using-fema-aid-for-illegals-and-heres-the-proof/

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,449
    Government and government agencies almost always fail because they are never held accountable, and because they do not care. They do not care because they rarely (if ever) have a stake in the communities in which they are tasked to serve.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn