Inflation

Options

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,135
    Options
    Crappy jobs being supported by wages that are artificially high for the given skillset.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Crappy jobs being supported by wages that are artificially high for the given skillset.

Very true, and we all pay more for everything, so those artificially high wages don't accomplish anything.

• aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,110
    Options
    Yeah but that unemployment number is a fallacy because they are not good jobs that have been created. There are lots of people now working multiple part time jobs to make ends meet and this has not been properly factored in. The devils in the details. Lots of big tech is commencing some pretty major layoffs. Labor participation rate continues to be low and is below pre-pandemic levels.

Agreed. There are several ways the "true" unemployment rate (if there is one) can be stated.

U-3, U-6, SGS Alternative, LISEP (Ludwig Inst.) True rate March 2023 22.9%

This had some effect:
    9sktdonpe3is.jpg
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,943
    Options
    All it has done is encouraged irresponsible behavior by incompetent banksters who feel like they have a backstop…

That’s not who the FDIC protect. They protect the deposits of citizens. The banks themselves still cease to exist.

None of these bankers in 2023 appear to have been totally incompetent either. Especially First Republic.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,204
    Options
    They put all their money in mortgage backed securities and treasuries, which left them at risk for rate increases. I heard First Republic gave Zuckerberg a 1% mortgage on a multi million dollar home. Smart.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,728
    Options
    How many workers have been medically injured by the experimental gene therapies?
    The explosion of POTS diagnoses just scratches the surface of identifiers.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    nea2hgnytfhv.png
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,095
    Options
    ^^ NOT a stretch ^^
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,511
    Options
    What the crap?!?
    Was picking up some stuff at the store yesterday - dental floss is ten bucks now? Where are my pliers, I'll fix this problem right now...
    aayg35513806.png
    m9hypvg2ykgy.png

Can't even afford graham crackers anymore. $5 bucks.
    They changed the recipe anyway, as well as made them smaller.
    38yzrcx7zh25.png

It's time to go buy some new Hanes white t-shirts.
    I fully expect to be spending $27 for a pack of neckbands.
    Neckbands that will irritate my neck.

I disabled signatures.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,078
    edited July 2023
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    What the crap?!?
    Was picking up some stuff at the store yesterday - dental floss is ten bucks now? Where are my pliers, I'll fix this problem right now...
    aayg35513806.png
    bucks.

https://youtu.be/smZA9Jv3qH0

Do like Frank did move to Montana to be a Dental Floss Tycoon ol Frankie he was a head of his time. raising it up waxing it down in a little white box that he could sell up town.

Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,117
    Options
    Dental floss on ebay 6 pack 12 shipped fwiw
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,660
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »

Or go to the dentist and get it for free 😊
  • msg
    Options
    @VR3 - dag, dude, never would have thought Ebay for hygiene. Shoulda known you'd know where the good dealz are.

Where you seein' that? All I see is "open box". I'm all for a good laugh and living on the edge, but...
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »

Or go to the dentist and get it for free 😊

Yeah, that stuff's in the Stash of Last Resort, along with the underwear with stretched waistbands. Only good for three or four uses.
    I disabled signatures.
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 887
    Options
    Thought I'd add my 2 cents.

In Canada, my province, the number of homeless people has gone up so much that it used to be rare to see a homeless person in downtown Halifax. Now it's IMPOSSIBLE to NOT see a homeless person.

Why? Prices went up so high they couldn't even afford groceries. It's $5 for a dozen eggs regular price now.
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 887
    Options
    Oh yeah, and when I told a friend from Ohio that, he didn't believe me, and he said I was overexaggersting for days, until like 4 days later I was in a store again and took a photo of the price tag. IIRC it was $5 and then some...
  • xschop
    edited July 2023
    Options
    ChrisD06 wrote: »
    Thought I'd add my 2 cents.

In Canada, my province, the number of homeless people has gone up so much that it used to be rare to see a homeless person in downtown Halifax. Now it's IMPOSSIBLE to NOT see a homeless person.

Why? Prices went up so high they couldn't even afford groceries. It's $5 for a dozen eggs regular price now.

Trudeau is Klaus Schwab's favorite minion, therefore hell-bent on carrying out his agenda.
    Post edited by xschop on
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,348
    Options
    b16dnfbi1hut.jpeg

meltzk24j2ba.jpeg
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,884
    edited July 2023
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    This has nothing to do with inflation,but our water and sewer cost is outrageous. A couple of years ago, the brilliant minds of our township decided to sell the sewer facility to the water supplier. The spin was this would result in a decrease in local taxes. Yeah, right. Taxes are now back to what they were before, and my monthly bill has doubled. Last month I owed almost $400 for water and sewer. For a family of 4!

Stop drinking so much water, you'll p.i.s.s less often which equals to less flushing.

wkohwure3jug.png
  • Keiko
    Keiko Posts: 764
    Options
    I don't drink water anymore. Fish have s/e/x in it. :O~~~
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,560
    Options
    I went to go pick up my wife's hair dye at Walgreens. Up from $8 to $12.
    50%? Why?
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,099
    Options
    daddyjt wrote: »
    b16dnfbi1hut.jpeg

meltzk24j2ba.jpeg

Best reason ever to pay a little extra towards the principal every month. Builds equity faster and cuts the length of the loan (and the total interest paid) substantially. Even a few dollars helps demonstrably -- easy to make or find a calculator to show the difference of paying, e.g., an extra $50 per payment makes.

Virtually all (if not all) mortgages nowadays permit such payments with no penalty, although in the old days there were penalties associated with prepayment (so to speak) of principal.

B)
  • Keiko
    Keiko Posts: 764
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    I went to go pick up my wife's hair dye at Walgreens. Up from $8 to $12.
    50%? Why?

Possibly due to supply chain issues for the Cochineal bug that's causing prices to soar. Would you like a bowl chocolate covered crickets while reading this article?

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/scientists-are-making-cochineal-a-red-dye-from-bugs-in-the-lab-180979828/
  • xschop
    Options
    Just spent $8 for gal. Chlorox bleach.

Going back home to make my special brew of 2 stroke fuel... They be straight-up trippin' here yo....

erdqtr7w0mid.jpg

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,633
    Options
    As for the TruFuel, the price here has been $20 a gallon and has not increased or decreased in 4 yrs.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    White onions are $1.29lb at both my local grocers. Have a receipt from 2019...$.39 per lb

More than tripled
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • xschop
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    As for the TruFuel, the price here has been $20 a gallon and has not increased or decreased in 4 yrs.

I normally mix my own, but tried this a week or so ago from a neighbor who cuts lawns. Thought I'd pick some up, but as youz guys say....hard pass.

My special brew has a little more kick anyways, and is alot lighter on the bank-roll lol
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,110
    edited July 2023
    Options
    x72vwpv1l6h8.jpg

Ace Hardware $28.99 for the past year 110 oz.
    The Home Depot $23.98 110 oz.

I've used these pre-mixes a few times. I prefer, much cheaper, to mix unleaded (no ethanol) gas with a small bottle of Echo 2 cycle oil for my Echo trimmers.

In the 1970's I managed a rental store for a few years. We bought cheap generic 30W SAE oil from a local oil distributor. We used that oil in everything, the crankcases of 4 cycle engines, we mixed it with gasoline for the 2 cycle chainsaws, Lawn Boy and Jacobsen 2 cycle mowers etc. Never had a problem.