Inflation

Options
Keiko
Keiko Posts: 764
edited February 2023 in The Clubhouse
I was just looking at gear online. Nothing in particular really, just bouncing around and looking when this caught my eye. I picked up a PSW10 just a couple years ago for 99.00 when my Yammie sub gave up the ghost. I know costs have increased on everything across the board, but WoW! The PSW10 used to be one of the biggest bargains for a budget subwoofer. Not anymore, sadly.

https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-PSW10-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B0002KVQBA?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

Comments

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    Go price a Kimber hero. Up 50% over what I paid for mine.

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    Price concert tickets. I just said Fock it toTedeschi Trucks Band. I couldn’t believe what they wanted for half azz seats. Then add in the “fees” which have always been bad but now it’s insamnity. I’ve seen them a bunch of times but enough is enough. I can’t even begin to imagine what the Stones will ask if they come around again.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,587
    Options
    I feel ya Don. I wanted to go see Styx when they came to town. Lowest priced tickets $165ea, no effin way !! Like you said that was before all the fees.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,929
    Options
    I wanted to take Courtney to see PINK, $2k for the three of us to go. Ummm no thanks!!!
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Problem is that people haven't stopped purchasing and are even going into record high credit card debts to do so. That can't go on forever.......
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,348
    Options
    Alison Krauss and Robert Plant was a concert the wife and I wanted to go see. For even cheap lawn seats for just the two of us, it would have been over $500.

If it rained? We'd be watching it in the rain, getting soaked. If you wanted a chair? It was something extra. Parking? Extra. No reserved seating, so to get a good seat, we would have to be there hours before the concert started.

Not my idea of a good time. It just wasn't worth it to either of us.

On a different note, it is sad that people on minimum wage have to work an hour to not even be able to afford a stick of deodorant.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Remember back in the day when you could get the album and a concert ticket for under $25
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Alison Krauss and Robert Plant was a concert the wife and I wanted to go see. For even cheap lawn seats for just the two of us, it would have been over $500.

If it rained? We'd be watching it in the rain, getting soaked. If you wanted a chair? It was something extra. Parking? Extra. No reserved seating, so to get a good seat, we would have to be there hours before the concert started.

Not my idea of a good time. It just wasn't worth it to either of us.

On a different note, it is sad that people on minimum wage have to work an hour to not even be able to afford a stick of deodorant.

Tom

That's crazy Tom. I just checked here in Texas and it's $195 for two lawn tickets, plus $35 for reserved parking. Still very pricey imho, but not $500...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,880
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Remember back in the day when you could get the album and a concert ticket for under $25

And 2$ movies on Tuesdays
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,331
    Options

I remember going to Van Halen, Def Leppard, Boston, Toto, etc in the mid-late 80's. GA ticket AND tour tee shirt ran <$25...
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    I've got a huge stack of concert tickets from the '70's, 80's and 90's, but I'm not sure where they are right now. I did find these though. Bargain prices compared to today.
    wn23sg6xjk4a.jpg

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    Options
    It’s ridiculous
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    8sph14jj136z.jpeg

I was a senior in High School. Good times!
  • Keiko
    edited February 2023
    Options
    scubalab wrote: »
    8sph14jj136z.jpeg

I was a senior in High School. Good times!

Yup! Those were the days. Def Lep, Scorpions, Van Halen, Rush, Ozzy, Loverboy, Preist, etc. Glam Rock and hair bands ruled in those days. Back in 89, Steppenwolf was in town and played a small venue at the Pacific Beach Hotel in Waikiki. I remember buying those tickets for 15.00 each for myself and my brother who was living here at that time also.

Rush came here once back in 1984 during the Grace Under Pressure Tour. I wanted to go so bad, but didn't have the scratch to buy the tickets. Janey's dad was a cool 'ol fella and spotted Jane and I the 20.00 bucks we needed to buy them. Do the math. Anyway, that was an awesome show. Geddy, Alex and Neil were at their peak back then and I'm really glad I got to see them. My generation is thinning out more and more it seems, but that's another topic for another thread. o:)
  • pitdogg2
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »

When I was a kid growing up in the early 70s, .25ç would buy me a bottle of Coke & a Snickers Bar and still leave me with a nickel in change. I remember when gas was .25ç a gallon or less. Then we had that energy crisis right around the end of the Vietnam war. How many of y'all remember that? Tr!cky D!ck ring any bells? Slick Willie & Co. makes TD look like a national hero. :D

I remember my uncle telling us kids water sking was going to be far less if gas gets up to .60¢ a gallon this summer. Must have been 77-78 maybe....
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    Options
    Inflation is terrible
    Everything is up except pay
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,190
    Options
    Getting a new tire installed (same brand and model) just cost me 50% more than it did almost 7 years ago! This is seriously messed up.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,348
    Options
    Wait until you go to replace your battery!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,103
    Options

Tom

nearly 300 dollars for a battery in my old Pontiac Sunfire.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    My best discovery is the local bin store that sells Amazon returns and over stock items for 14 dollars to 25 cent each depending on the day.

My average cost for breakfast and lunch per day is maybe 10 cents averaged out.

Otherwise everything else is bananas... My max price for a show is 40 a head so I don't see many shows!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    I had three eggs for breakfast this morning. Living like a King!
  • pitdogg2
    Options

Tom

nearly 300 dollars for a battery in my old Pontiac Sunfire.

Those are California prices but they should charge you double for anything for a sunfire, those were made to be throw away cars.... :p

Seriously a good battery here is pushing $200, there is also no newly manufactured batteries. From my understanding they are all made from recycled batteries across the board. My batteries I buy had for years a 7yr replacment warranty now they're 3-5 and prorated after that.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,190
    Options
    Poorer or lesser quality item for the same price would also be inflation in my book. They call that substitution. One of the many ways that the CPI is "gamed".
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,331
    Options
    Causes of Inflation-

An increase in the supply of money is the root of inflation, though this can play out through different mechanisms in the economy. A country's money supply can be increased by the monetary authorities by:

1. Printing and giving away more money to citizens
    2. Legally devaluing (reducing the value of) the legal tender currency
    3. Loaning new money into existence as reserve account credits through the banking system by
    purchasing government bonds from banks on the secondary market (the most common method)
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• dromunds
    Options
    I went to see Bobby Weir last night. General admission standing room only. About $75 including fees, my friend bought the tickets. That’s all I intend to pay for GA with a few possible exceptions. I have a ticket stub from Pink Floyd 1975 but I misplaced it temporarily. It wasn’t much. I do have another Pink Floyd stub from 1994 and a 1978 Genesis stub for reference. Also, an ad for a Fleetwood Mac concert I attended in late 74. Check out those prices.
    bf9wor9l023a.jpeg
    y2eedobsaikz.jpeg
    wfiuga3qjbzt.jpeg
    in late 74. Check out those prices
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    I agree that prices are on the rise, but you guys remind me of a bunch o'

i2km3z2it42x.jpeg
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    2017 GTi, had a new battery and oil change (synthetic) from the dealer.

$355

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Keiko
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    2017 GTi, had a new battery and oil change (synthetic) from the dealer.

$355

H9

If I were you, I'd report that.... If, I were you.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    1978 8.50 equals 40ish 2023 according to the internet
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • dromunds
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    1978 8.50 equals 40ish 2023 according to the internet

Exactly