Inflation

Options

Comments

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,292
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Guys inflation is only like 5 to 10%... Not sure where you are saying these 100% plus price changes... They simply don't exist...

When you take goods and services as a whole, you are probably right, but the problem is the stuff we buy on a regular basis has gone up considerably.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,112
    Options
    My previous post was listed with sarcasm for sure.

The official inflation numbers are laughable at best
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,348
    Options
    I put new tires on my truck last week. I still had the invoice in the glove box from the set I replaced - $1,188 for 4 tires 3 years ago. Same exact tires now? $1,792 for a set of 4. That’s a 51% increase in just 3 years.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,135
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Guys inflation is only like 5 to 10%... Not sure where you are saying these 100% plus price changes... They simply don't exist...

There are some things that have more than quadrupled in price on the shelves. If prices go up 5 percent on everything used to make a product, the final product with go up significantly more than what would be expected.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,095
    Options
    Gasoline's gone up by about 10% here in the past 10 days.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,109
    Options
    Super unleaded was $3.39 two weeks ago, back down to $3.09 today. Been going up and down quite often lately.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,405
    Options
    daddyjt wrote: »
    I put new tires on my truck last week. I still had the invoice in the glove box from the set I replaced - $1,188 for 4 tires 3 years ago. Same exact tires now? $1,792 for a set of 4. That’s a 51% increase in just 3 years.

Ouch. I guess I'll have to budget more than I expected. Damn. That takes out of the audio budget...grrr.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,560
    Options
    A walk through the grocery store tells you how much
    Prices increased. The real surprise is what hasn't jumped.
    Packaging is smaller as well on a lot of things. I used to
    keep a tombstone pizza in the freezer for a quick and easy
    meal. Now it's $2 more and the diameter is smaller.
    Don't get me started on shingle prices.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,017
    Options
    Its nice that everyone’s wages are increasing at the same rate prices are 😳
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,017
    Options
    The consumer has a lot of influence to drop prices on goods…. Stop buying.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,292
    Options
    skipshot12 wrote: »

That would work for things you don't actually need like food fuel and housing.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,626
    Options
    skipshot12 wrote: »

I’m debt-free. Still need to eat, buy fuel and utilities.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    This has nothing to do with inflation,but our water and sewer cost is outrageous. A couple of years ago, the brilliant minds of our township decided to sell the sewer facility to the water supplier. The spin was this would result in a decrease in local taxes. Yeah, right. Taxes are now back to what they were before, and my monthly bill has doubled. Last month I owed almost $400 for water and sewer. For a family of 4!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,135
    edited May 2023
    Options
    I was getting charged for more waste going out than water coming in. If I had 100 gallons of water, I would be charged for 350 gallons of sewage. When I disputed the outrageous charges, I was told that everything was calculated for a family of 4 and everybody got billed the same flat-rate, and there wasn't a thing I could do about it because the city council set the rules they operated by.
    Post edited by nooshinjohn on
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    Options
    Yeah mine is similar.

Water is done is 750 gallon increments.
    751 gallons is treated as 1500
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,204
    Options
    Why worry. The "Fed" has got this thing under control lol:

ewbgwlmyxoks.jpg
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • VR3
    Options
    This time it's different!

h3usc51ndagz.gif
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,095
    Options
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,631
    Options
    I went to pick up some 134A refridgerant to recharge my truck AC last night....WOW !!! The last time I bought a pound of it, it was $20. Last night the cheapest I could find it at the local stores it was $56 a pound....
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,727
    Options
    You need to install 480 AC.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    You need to install 480 AC.

Single or 3 phase
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,727
    Options
    4 windows down at 80 mph.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,856
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I went to pick up some 134A refridgerant to recharge my truck AC last night....WOW !!! The last time I bought a pound of it, it was $20. Last night the cheapest I could find it at the local stores it was $56 a pound....

Here's the reason, https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/bidens-cold-war-anti-air-conditioner-regulations-keep-piling-up

It won't be long before they take us back to the stone age.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,560
    Options
    Right now I don't even know what type of ac system
    Installers are using. 410 is out. R454b is supposed to
    be the current one, but it won't meet new restrictions in
    California. It also shouldn't be used with a gas furnace
    because it's flammable.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,966
    Options
    Why does the Fed and powers that be wig out about protecting deposits in banks over 250k? Everyone understands that amount is the maximum guaranteed by the FDIC and I get that they need to stabilize faith in the banking system, but does a anyone here have that "problem" of an account with more than 250k at any bank?? lol. Yes some of these accounts are businesses or retirement accounts, but if we keep bailing them out, the risky behavior will continue. End of rant...
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,943
    Options
    This is incorrect. They are not being bailed out.

The “i” in FDIC stands for “insurance”. It’s no different from home owners’ insurance or auto insurance. The banks pay a premium to the FDIC. In case of an “accident” the FDIC steps in and uses the funds collected from premiums to protect depositors from losses. That’s how insurance works! 🤷‍♂️
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    Options
    The FDIC limit was set at 250K in 2008, when it was raised from the prior limit of 40K! 😳

The old limit was set in 1974! 😱

These banks catered to wealthy clients with jumbo mortgages because of the high cost of housing in any large metropolitan area. 250K is not sufficient to protect the deposits of wealthy individuals. In fact, in the case of a HNWI, this would not protect more than 5 to 25% of their deposits. Nobody can afford to lose 90% of their savings. In the case of a VHNWI, 250K wouldn’t even protect 5% of their savings.

Imagine auto insurance that tops out at $10K when the AVERAGE price of a new vehicle in the US is currently almost $50K.

So the banks themselves have to decide if they want to pay higher premiums to protect themselves from the turmoil created by events such as those which have led to these failures.
    Alea jacta est!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    edited May 2023
    Options
    IT'S NOT THE BANKS MONEY

We are the payee's for poor corporate management, and getting tired of bad decisions beyond our control. Those FDIC funds come from our banking fee's, so they will likely increase our fee's to support the purchase....ie Chase bailout

And the lubricous bonus, and payouts for those at top of the food chain while the bottom gets sc rewed
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Keiko
    Keiko Posts: 764
    Options
    Back in 2008/09 it was the taxpayers that bailed out these too big to fail banks. My question is, who's going to bail us out? Can any of y'all afford to bail them out again? I know I cannot.
  • Kex
    Options
    When J.P. Morgan Chase bought First Republic Bank for under $11B, it acquired $228B in assets. In deposits alone, JPM gained $92B. It also gained $30B in securities. It assumes $172B in loans.

Some analysts raised their price targets on JPM within a day of the transaction.
    Alea jacta est!