Help us shape the future of Polk

Options

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,704
    Options
    I wish Polk all the best. Bring your manufacturing back to the USA, then you'll have a future.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,002
    Options
    Got to the point of saying I live in Wyoming... 👋
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options
    Sounds like I'll skip this. In my case Polk wouldn't be interested in the input of some fossil running a pair of 1.2tls "to help shape their future endeavors".
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    On the positive side; too old means you know too much.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I find this to be un fair, I didn't get in either. It's gotta be age, I'm 52 and have a wealth of audio experience plus tons of Polk Audio experience . I started my journey with Polk, have polk's all over my house including my Deck and Garage and I installed polk speakers for many years.

I would have thought they would have wanted someone like me but unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to answer any other questions other then name and age. I got the boot.

I helped with then LSI's and the LSIM's. I would love to discuss the future as Polk Audio is important to me.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I was totally honest with my answers just to see how far I would get, and made it to the end. But, they said they would contact me if I was selected, so there you go.

PS Dan, it's not age. Maybe it's totally random, who knows.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    My response:

Polk Screening Survey
    Thank you! If you qualify for this study, we will be in touch via e-mail shortly.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I guess I don't understand why they didn't just let everyone who filled in all of the boxes "enter" and give everyone the "If you qualify" response. They still could've rejected any class whose input they're not interested in -- without ruffling anyone's feathers.

But, it's their ball and their backyard, so they may do as they wish.

"We" may not be their future, but we are their present -- and just because we're "out of band" for whatever reason doesn't a priori mean that we don't have insight.

Still, I'm glad to see 'em lobbying for some input from the trenches, though.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    Options
    The ones rejected probably recommended bringing back SDA
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    SDA is already back, though.

It's in their sound bar speakers and it's in the L800s.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Worked this time as intended (by all appearances). Thanks @CarlJacobson_POLK for your/Polk's responsiveness to "our" critique.
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2023
    Options
    But there's a corresponding exponential growth in both the population and the wealth of the truly wealthy. Way out of proportion with even the robber barons of the late 19th Century. Some of them are quite young, leveraging platforms like TikTok for their fame and their income stream.

The median house price in Vermont (Vermont!) is currently $310,000.
    On our side of the river, there are several eight figure properties on our hill, owned by very nice, down-to-earth people who... paid eight figures for them. Most of the rest would sell pretty quickly for low seven figures -- and this ain't the Silicon Valley!
    Strictly anecdotal data, though, of course.

Price automobiles some time. Maybe a nice Bugatti?

Polk's products, with a few exceptions (basically, the Legend series) are inexpensive by any contemporary scale of assessment.

How much is an iPhone 87 (or whichever model they're on now)?

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,050
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Dosnt change the fact that "back in the day" large stereos, records, etc was a thing to do... It was the only way to listen to music. That generation grew up listening to music that way and it's a thing they enjoy.

My generation, most of them grew up with sound bars, ear buds, stolen mp3a from. Napster...

Music was consumed very differently by the younger generation.

This will have very long lasting changes for an industry.

Considering wages are mostly stagnant and prices are rising exponentially, this furthers my argument that this NINJA generation (no income, no jobs, no assets) will have an even harder time affording these items.

Will see! Audio is a niche segment that is making itself more and more of a niche.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,878
    Options
    I'm older and not in the USA. I'm out
  • savage925
    Options
    VR3 you make some good points about the youth not being into it. But I dont really think its a cost issue. For the money/performance might this be one of the best eras? For instance a pair of Polk XT books and a Aiyma amp would be $358 (full price). Youtuber Randy The Cheap Audio Man has some great suggestions for very affordable options and thats not even covering the steals one can get on the used market. The SRTs were rad, but started at $7,300+ in 1996, which would be expensive even for today
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    It seems like it wasn't too long ago that the iPad was king and now people walk around with large phones that no longer fit comfortably in their skinny jeans pockets. :)

The future seems to be increasingly more mobile and bluetooth oriented since younger people spend their lives on their phones and phones are powerful devices. They're also expensive.

But then the funny thing is I know a lot of younger people have bought a turntable in the last few years. Not sure if those are actually being used or are more ornamental. Maybe Polk should revisit the headphone world with better products than before but that market also seems to be saturated.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    Yea @VR3 I think these are two big problems, radical income inequality - 68% of US wealth is owned by the top 10%!!! - and lifestyle changes. I am 44 and my oldest daughter is 15. She sings in advanced choir and has play the piano for almost 10 years, and she prefers to listen to music on her AirPods or phone speaker compared to any of the multiple systems in our home. At least she has heard high quality sound, most haven't...and they don't care. So yes, you need a cheaper entry product that is going to get them in the proverbial door, and it ain't a sound bar...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,188
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I think you guys are bringing up some very valid points and things I agree with. I’m 34 and even friends my age really don’t generally understand my stereo or the entertainment it provides me.

Convenience and connectivity are champion now, wireless ear buds that can be in 24/7 are the thing. I think the industry is going to continue to trend towards mobile solutions/Bluetooth speakers/ and sound bars. Especially for a company like Polk that seems to be losing touch with the community ( that’s not to hate on Polk, they obviously still make some excellent speakers even the snobbiest of audiophiles can appreciate). The connection to the community is being lost on these larger corporations, it’s part of the reason I tend to buy from smaller outfits as I can call up the owner and legitimately talk to him or her about upgrades or issues I am experiencing.

Unfortunately less and less people appreciate true good sound. I’m in a way guilty of it as I very much appreciate my Sonos wireless HT setups so maybe I am the pot calling the kettle black.

I’ll be interested what the audiophile landscape looks like in 20 years.
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Also got to remember the corporate parent, Masimo, is primarily a company that's interested in total connectivity of devices and their purchase of Sound United opened up a huge door for them across many consumer products brands that can be cross marketed. Large floorstanding speakers that sit at home not being used 98 percent of the time don't necessarily fit that model but there is still a place for them in the market. Some in the latest generation don't like owning "stuff" but want to spend their money on experiences. Some don't even want to drive a car! :#
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,000
    Options
    I took the questioner again & low & behold I made it all the way thru. They'll let me via email if I make the final cut. Go figure 🤔🤔
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • SIHAB
    Options
    What Polk needs to invent is a whole house system that
    monitors my mood and plays music accordingly (or TV/movie). It has to
    be completely out of site. It also has to have drown out the
    road noise and piss off the neighbors mode. Big plus if it
    can shoot down balloons.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    Options
    Well...this is embarassing. I saw your comments last night and contacted the agency running the study to have this looked into. The form should have been filtering anyone under 18 for legal reasons, but there shouldn't have been an age limit. I wouldn't have qualified either. :(

The form has been updated. Please accept our apologies. If you're not feeling too insulted, we would appreciate you trying again. Thank you!

Thank you Carl, Polk Audio is important to me and IF I can help out in any way, I'm very willing to do so.

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    Looks like I poked the bear and lived...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,693
    Options
    Looks like I poked the bear and lived...

What happens in the den, stays in the den. :o
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I was out with sbcglobal.net email, but in with gmail.com. Same answers used except for email. Old and in Illinois!
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,002
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    But there's a corresponding exponential growth in both the population and the wealth of the truly wealthy. Way out of proportion with even the robber barons of the late 19th Century. Some of them are quite young, leveraging platforms like TikTok for their fame and their income stream.

The median house price in Vermont (Vermont!) is currently $310,000.
    On our side of the river, there are several eight figure properties on our hill, owned by very nice, down-to-earth people who... paid eight figures for them. Most of the rest would sell pretty quickly for low seven figures -- and this ain't the Silicon Valley!
    Strictly anecdotal data, though, of course.

Price automobiles some time. Maybe a nice Bugatti?

Polk's products, with a few exceptions (basically, the Legend series) are inexpensive by any contemporary scale of assessment.

How much is an iPhone 87 (or whichever model they're on now)?

This is way too true on the price of median homes.
    When we moved to FL in 1964 I remember my Pop complaining about the price he had to pay for his house... $12,000. But, he made $12,000 a year as a firefighter back then.
    My wife and I bought our first home in FL and it cost me $69,000 in 1987. I wasn't even close to making that per year.

Now, looking at median home prices the young ones are having to pay one can easily see wages have not kept up.
    How many young folks, and older one, are pulling in $310,000 a year?

Sorry for the rant.

Think I'll go back and take the survey again.

Thank you Polk Audio.
  • SIHAB
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I'm not sure if Polk can fix this;
    hqcw4v39zubg.jpg
    but I guess this is the target demographic.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,438
    Options
    I'd just like them to build a soundbar that doesn't constantly crash. I mean apparently these things are really popular but this forum is constantly inundated with "what is wrong with this thing" posts. Poor @SeleniumFalcon spends his every waking moment forwarding problems to customer service and I'm pretty sure he's not getting commission on this...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus