Help us shape the future of Polk

Options
1235»

Comments

• xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Options
    I was declined and I bought Legend speakers less than 2 years ago. Oh well.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Where I worked, we used to say, “Tell me what you want the answer to be.” Perhaps they used this philosophy in choosing the interview candidates.
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,637
    Options
    I was rejected also.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,577
    Options
    indyhawg wrote: »
    I was rejected also.

Have you met you?

Teeheehee
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    edited March 2023
    Options
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,983
    Options
    I was selected. We sign a nondisclosure agreement, for obvious reasons. I can tell you that it was a very positive experience indeed, and I tip my hat to all involved. Please do not ask me to discuss anything further or PM me regarding this because I will not respond further.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,533
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    I was selected. We sign a nondisclosure agreement, for obvious reasons. I can tell you that it was a very positive experience indeed, and I tip my hat to all involved. Please do not ask me to discuss anything further or PM me regarding this because I will not respond further.

I'm glad to hear you were selected. I look forward to a review of whatever Polk product you buy with that discount.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,132
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    We bought Fire Stick things and are amazed at what we get for the "whole year" compared to "one month" before. We're saving 200.00 a month now and have 16,000 channels to choose from now. We aren't missing one damn channel from what we had before either. From 200 a month to 12.00. B)<3

I don't think Spectrum will even try asking us if there is a chance we'll return to them because they KNOW they're doomed in the TV-providing world now.
    Spectrum won’t try to get you back on cable, but don’t be shocked if your internet provider starts tacking on an extra $5/month to access Amazon, an extra $3 to access Disney, an extra $6 to access HBO Max, etc etc.

We’re likely just a few years away from your internet bill looking very similar to your old cable bill.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    Options

We’re likely just a few years away from your internet bill looking very similar to your old cable bill.

Perhaps, but there's competition for high speed Internet which may keep cable companies from playing this game. FIOS and 5G are decent alternates. I can't get the FIOS but 5G at my home (20 minutes in the deep suburbs outside of Worcester) I can get faster speeds (about 350Mbps) than Spectrum cable (about 300Mbps) and pings are decent for gaming. Even my LTE phones are 55Mbps, and ~50ms pings. This is with T-mobile.

Spectrum gave me a hard time a year ago when I asked for more bandwidth and said I could only get 100Mbps even though they advertised plans starting at 200Mbps. They said it was a technical limitation in my neighborhood and that's all they could give me. Several calls with them they would not budge. Due to a high bill I ditched cable TV to go streaming and reduce my bill, and I told them I would be doing the same with Internet since 5G seems like a good alternative. Never switched due to other priorities, and then 4 months later I get 300Mbps magically for free and for the same cost. They know competition is eating into their business, and technology will offer better services at lower cost.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,333
    Options
    Adapt or die....

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,983
    Options
    Very well said.
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    It's human nature to question things and be skeptical. It's also good to hear from those who were selected, limited as the feedback may be.
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,533
    Options
    Personally I have no problem being rejected (I’m used to it :wink) and hold no ill will toward anyone. I appreciated simply being advised of the opportunity.

I am very happy to hear that both @dromunds and @dpowell were selected.

I’m always happy to throw my hat into the ring but have no expectations that means I will be selected.

Thanks again to Polk for letting us know about the opportunity.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options
    dpowell wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I want to let you all know I was selected to participate as well. Like @dromunds , I had a very positive experience but can't share beyond that. I am honestly a bit saddened to see some of the negative comments and baseless insinuations towards Polk in the thread. Based on my experience today, some comments are misguided and seem more like unfair projections of personal disappointment in not being selected. I sincerely encourage everyone to keep it positive and encourage additional opportunities to provide input into the future of Polk.

Very fair, I certainly jumped the gun. My apologies to Polk, good to see there was some representation from the forum and hope it leads to positive moves from Polk!
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • mikejedi0619
    Options

I was not selected buts all good !!
    Glad to see some high end Polk peeps selected and good news coming about a future study more focused on us speaker perfectionists— lol! :)

I for one , do not think Polk is finished at all with the high end lines. ..From what I understand these legends and reserves are pretty darn popular !! Here’s to more Polk high end designs in the future ! I remember listening to my first Polks in the 1980s and early 90s and this kid was impressed and always wanted a pair. Plus hearing my Dad talk about them :)

I finally was able to snag some RT16s which were pretty good for HT but for music not great. (Mid 90s)

Now in these times , I am proud to say that I am mighty mighty impressed every day , since I recently bought my L200’s and am floored by the performance —even not fully broken in yet.!!

Thanks to all of the fine Polk peeps here advising me on my new Journey :)

Keep going Polk :) !!!!! thanks

:) just my 2 cents
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,044
    Options
    I am optimistic. :)
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,002
    Options
    Just out of my own personal curiosity I hope sometime in the near future those that participated can share the specifics of their interviews…
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    Would be interesting, but I don’t think that’s the way NDAs work.
    Brian

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    They could tell you, but then Tonyb shows up with his cement truck...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,054
    Options
    skipshot12 wrote: »
    Just out of my own personal curiosity I hope sometime in the near future those that participated can share the specifics of their interviews…

Unfortunately @bcwsrt is correct.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    Yes, but is @nooshinjohn, also correct? 😳😂

Brian

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,577
    Options
    bcwsrt wrote: »

You do not want to find out......trust me!
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,054
    Options
    bcwsrt wrote: »

I can neither confirm, nor deny...🤣

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • treitz3
    edited March 2023
    Options
    One thing that would help shape the future of Polk is to have an experienced (and well connected within the Polk infrastructure) spokesperson on this forum and available during work hours.

Polk used to have this. Members even alerted certain people to those in need of help and offered options, people to contact and Polk's reputation was stellar.

Over the years, this has faded away. The "Troubleshooting" and "Customer Service" section(s) of the forum were usually answered promptly, or at the very least, people were pointed in the right direction. If this service is no longer available or wanted by Polk executives, then archive those sections on the forum and get rid of the subheading that folks have a direct line to Polk Customer Service.

wzdcyx6jumii.png

In other words, either offer real Customer Service or lose the misleading statement that folks can actually have a direct line.

With that said, one of the things that attracted people to purchase Polk products was through word of mouth. Polk used to have one of the highest brand CS and word of mouth reputations in the industry. This was indisputable and well known. Today, it is the complete opposite. Polk's reputation has gone downhill and in a very bad way. Polk's reputation has been so severely damaged, CS is seemingly non-existent that I will personally no longer recommend to folks to purchase Polk products. I can say with full confidence that I am not the only one either.

You make some great products but without service after the sale, what have you got, besides a heavy doorstop if something goes to the wayside (which they do with any product/company)?

Now, take a look at Taiko and their reputation right now. They are well known for the after sales service, the reactivity, the listening to the customer and their reputation is what Polk's once was. The end result? People recommend their products. People are excited to hear them. People have not much negative things to say about them and production/sales are through the roof.

Take this for what it's worth to you as a company. If you want the future of Polk to remain for the long haul and not just the current shareholders? Then pivot the company back to where it once used to be.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,044
    edited March 2023
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    One thing that would help shape the future of Polk is to have an experienced (and well connected within the Polk infrastructure) spokesperson on this forum and available during work hours.

Polk used to have this. Members even alerted certain people to those in need of help and offered options, people to contact and Polk's reputation was stellar.

Over the years, this has faded away. The "Troubleshooting" and "Customer Service" section(s) of the forum were usually answered promptly, or at the very least, people were pointed in the right direction. If this service is no longer available or wanted by Polk executives, then archive those sections on the forum and get rid of the subheading that folks have a direct line to Polk Customer Service.

wzdcyx6jumii.png

In other words, either offer real Customer Service or lose the misleading statement that folks can actually have a direct line. ...
    Good point(s) and well stated.
    Totally and vehemently agree!

I am wondering, though, about the "Taiko" you mentioned, @treitz3 ? Is it these guys?
    https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/

I had never heard of an audio company called "Taiko". :/ (yeah, I realize that may just be me)
    Until I tried googling "Taiko Audio" instead of just "Taiko", google mostly turned up percussion instruments and Japanese restaurants.

• treitz3
    Options
    That's the one.

Tom
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »

Tom, thank you for posting this. I can't promise anything, but I am forwarding your note to others here in the company.

Thanks,

Carl