EtherREGEN's - A discussion about them and what it is they do....

Options
124»

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,347
    Options
    The followup on this thread continues here >>> https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/199802/mutec-ref-10-se-120-master-clock

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    Options
    From Alex -

" * EtherREGEN Gen2 is coming along great but we can not yet pinpoint month/week of the launch.

* We are sitting with stock of nearly $100K worth of chips (and regulators, and magnetics, etc.) for production. Some parts we have enough for 1,250 units, some for 1000, 500, or just 250. Obviously we have to buy more of the parts that we have only enough of for 250. Will do so as we get closer.

* Development of a product as original and sophisticated as the EtherREGEN can not be done all at once. [Sorry, but what we do with this design is NOTHING like our competitors. NOBODY else in the world is putting Ethernet signals through active differential isolator chips and reclocking with a multi-GigaHertz flip-flop. In fact many other brands either just install someone else's cheap stock switch board and embellish with PS and some clocking, or they drop a stock switch design onto a board.]

It is a bit like a chef developing a fine and unique meal: Make and test all the side-dishes, then the main dish, then finally put them all together on one plate (PCB) once they are each perfect.

So already completed and tested separately are the programming and integration of the two new clock synthesizers chosen (much lower jitter than the SiliconLabs/Skyworks used on the first EtherREGEN) and the state-of-the-art ultra-low-jitter sine-to-square wave converter we are adding for the benefit of those using an external reference clock.

The new main Ethernet switch chip we chose (wow that was a search last year!) is working nicely on its own board as well.

Plus the new power supply elements John chose have also been fully tested.

* The biggest delay this year came when the Intel PHY chips we bought proved to not be capable of performing the interface functions they were advertised for (older version, newer version 100% unavailable). Lost about $6K on those we bought as they are not returnable. :mad:

Without going into too much detail, we need PHY chips--to work with the new main Ethernet switch chip we chose--to be capable of both RGMII>fiber (on 'A' side) and SGMII>copper (on 'B' side). MaxLinear, the people who took over the Lantiq/Intel PHYs that we had to abandon--and whose switch chip we are using as the main switch--told us in January about a brand new PHY they were coming out with. We signed the NDAs and they shared all the details. Not only did its capabilities fit our needs perfectly, but it is based on a more modern die, so it is smaller, draws less current, and should have lower jitter. @JohnSwenson was thrilled--as was I because the price on the chip was promised to be about one quarter that of the now $13 Texas Instruments DP83869HM we used in the first EtherREGEN. (Not only was the T.I. part availability terrible for over a year, it was rather current hungry.)

So we said to MaxLinear "Great, get us samples ASAP!" They promised samples for mid-February--they actually supplied them 3-1/2 months late, at end of May!

John already had the first test board ready and waiting--more than a month before the samples finally came.

Now you need to understand that with new chips the documentation is most ALWAYS lacking. And with this one you could drive a truck though the holes in some of the complex programming directions. [Yes, all these logic parts require programming and/or careful "pin-strapping" to make them do what you want. Way over my pay-grade but John lives/breaths this stuff. B|] With some effort John got the SGMII>copper interface working, but despite weeks of back-and-forth with MaxLinear's German application support guy could not get the RGMII>fiber side working. Finally determined it has to be an issue with the soldering of one of the chips--most likely the main Ethernet switch chip as it is an LGA (land-grid-array, I hate those!) so we can not see the pads under the part unless x-rayed.

John was ready to move on to the next round of boards anyway (there were hacks and fixes it would be best to get done right) and there is a circuit for a possible new feature we want to test along with current draw monitoring.

So that is where we are. This next round of test boards (still without the differential isolators, differential flip-flops, or differential clock synthesizers incorporated) will arrive back to us before the end of July. [John did all the placement and soldering--in his own vapor-phase-reflow oven--for all the prior boards, but for this round we decided it would be best to cough up the $$$ to have them populated--with rush service--by our regular board house."

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    Options
    j34yej60i8dp.jpg

Tom
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    I wonder if the new version will run cooler?
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,052
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    I wonder if the new version will run cooler?

xpcycgd9wm40.jpg

I'll bet that Vanilla will censor this very reputable company's website URL :#
    https://bigassfans.com/

that is big-a-$-$-fans. Sounds like a site featuring something else entirely, though, doesn't it?

B)

OK, I'll stop.

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    The built in space heater of the etheregen keeps the electrons at the correct temperature
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,587
    Options
  • rebelsoul
    rebelsoul Posts: 756
    edited February 29
    Options
    Uptone site says it has the original one for sale now. Also said still waiting for Regen 2
  • treitz3
    Options
    Yeah, the ER2 is definitely behind their anticipated schedule. They are still on it though.

I will probably wait until the ER2 comes out and see how much the price drops on the used, original ER's. I'd like to set up the TV's with the ER as well. We'll see...

Tom