EtherREGEN's - A discussion about them and what it is they do....

Options

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,348
    Options
    No, he is once again talking about something he has no first hand experience with and based upon your quote, has no intention to either. He should go crap on another thread and let the folks who want to learn about this device learn without constant and unneeded advice of which he knows nothing about.

The empirical evidence alone speaks volumes. Also, one cannot hook up a clock to any of the TP-Link switches. That's one of the advantages of the ER.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited January 6
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    jbreezy5 wrote: »
    If topping made it, then it would be a great product.

Actually, the EtherRegen measures just fine; however, the price is unwarranted, as it measures no better than an inexpensive TP-Link gigabit switch.

Some people like to waste their money I suppose.

I take it that you bought one and compared it to TP-Link gigabyte switch?

I bought an EtherREGEN and compared it to a $35 Cisco SG110D-08 switch. I found the EtherREGEN to be audibly better with music and visibly better with high resolution video.

I used to have my computer audio gear and home theater video streaming gear plugged into the Ethernet ports of an Amped Wireless Athena EX range extender. Placing a Cisco SG110D-08 switch (again, $35) between the range extenders and my audio and video equipment resulted in better sound and video quality. I also experimented with replacing the electrically noisy switch mode power supplies of the Cisco and EtherREGEN switches with linear power supplies. I heard and saw improvements with cheap TeraDak LPSs with both the Cisco and EtherREGEN. I did further experiments with improved DC power cables for the EtherREGEN and the NAS in my two channel stereo system.

I have a second EtherREGEN in my computer audio rig at work. The B-side Ethernet port of the EtherREGEN is limited to 100 Mbps, which is too slow for uncompressed 4K UHD video streaming. The EtherREGEN v2 will have a B-side 1 Gbps Ethernet port. The EtherREGEN v1 performed well with 2K Blu-ray streaming. It performed well with 4K Blu-ray streaming as long as the bit rate stayed below 100 Mbps.

uxaa2kz1b3ck.jpg

My review of the EtherREGEN in my two channel stereo system and home theater system:

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/190575/etherregen-audiophile-ethernet-switch-video-and-audio-review

Some of my experiments using linear power supplies with ordinary networking equipment:

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2511598
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    If topping made it, then it would be a great product.

Actually, the EtherRegen measures just fine; however, the price is unwarranted, as it measures no better than an inexpensive TP-Link gigabit switch.

Some people like to waste their money I suppose.

I take it that you bought one and compared it to TP-Link gigabyte switch?

Lol, “invalid” presupposition. A switch doesn’t produce sound, it transfers data. Hello!

Both switches measured the same; at approx. -120dB, which Amir states (scientific fact, btw) anything below -116dB is inaudible. Did you even read the article I so conveniently provided?

Open-minded people read information and learn from it.

I post something that could save forum members money and am asked if I listened to an inaudible device.

Amir is an expert in the field concerning network switches. He explains very plainly why he has right to be called such in the review, in which he not only measures the EtherRegen, but also, listens to it and compares “sonics” (nada, he concludes) to the TP-Link.

That is the purpose of a review, right? To learn from someone whom has heard an audio component what it does, or doesn’t sound like.

Being an audiophile doesn’t mean we have to ignore empirical evidence; nor does it mean, that empirical evidence can’t inform our subjective impressions. Amir said he heard no difference (subjective experience) and backed it up with measurements.

Do you need more proof? I don’t.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    Notice how Tom speaks like he’s an expert, but the whole basis of this post is him stating how he knows nothing on the subject.

He admits he has no experience, then asserts himself. Brilliant logic!

Good reason to ignore a true expert in the field (Amir, that is, for the eisegetes who would mistakenly think I’m referring to myself).
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,280
    Options
    I didn't mention sound
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    I didn't mention sound

Ok @invalid, I didn’t need to; as stated already, Amir did the work, and I trust it. Duh

As a bonus, it happens to measure below the threshold of human hearing. Good, @invalid, repetition is one way to learn.

• treitz3
    Options
    Go thread crap somewhere else.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,190
    Options
    Why don't you read Darqueknight's review? Amir isn't the only person on the planet, "expert" or otherwise. Whenever I hear "expert" I shudder. Different people use different analysis techniques.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • rebelsoul
    rebelsoul Posts: 756
    Options
    My lhy sw-8 and sw-10 are sw-8 comparable and sw-10 surpasses
  • treitz3
    Options
    Oh, dear lawd.....Amir an expert? LOL. Is that the BS you are now spewing? Just stop. Jeez, some people's kids...

Tom
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    Why don't you read Darqueknight's review? Amir isn't the only person on the planet, "expert" or otherwise. Whenever I hear "expert" I shudder. Different people use different analysis techniques.

Actually, you are making my argument for me. Why are so many here afraid to trust a review outside of polkaudioforum?

Many just blindly follow Tom, and come to his defense even when his logic is bad.

To each his own.

• treitz3
    Options
    Whatever you are saying (Again, you are on ignore for a reason), please....I beg of you. Just put me on ignore as well and be on your merry way. Quit F'n up my threads and being a troll. I don't even need to see what you write/type/spew out of your mouth.

Get lost. You and I will NEVER see eye to eye.

Now, can we please get back to the subject of the thread?

Tom
  • jbreezy5
    edited January 7
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Oh, dear lawd.....Amir an expert? LOL. Is that the BS you are now spewing? Just stop. Jeez, some people's kids...

Tom

Tom, you have no idea what you’re talking about. Sit down, be silent and learn from someone who knows far more than you.

Otherwise, please supply your own measurements to demonstrate that you’re at least Amir’s peer.

Spare everyone from your typical “what hits these ears” subjective nonsense and calling that empirical evidence. Horrendous.

• treitz3
    Options
    Let me remind you of the rules of the forum....

1) Stick to the topic of the forum. This way information is easily categorized to make it easy for new members to access. Threads or posts that do not contain relevant information will be removed.

2) Trolling - members who make a conscious effort to inflame or irritate others will be subject to warnings and/or bans.

5) No baiting or fighting. Personal attacks, trouble making, inappropriate language, or any threatening or offensive behavior will not be tolerated.

Tom
  • jbreezy5
    edited January 7
    Options
    Let me remind you of the rules of the forum ;(Remind yourself, hypocrite!)...

1) Stick to the topic of the forum. (I am)

2) Trolling - members who make a conscious effort to inflame or irritate others will be subject to warnings and/or bans. (Why isn’t Tom banned yet, then?)

5) No baiting or fighting. Personal attacks, trouble making, inappropriate language, or any threatening or offensive behavior will not be tolerated. (Tom, you personally attack me, and others, perpetually. I merely confront your bad behavior.)

If you are “ignoring me”, then be about it. I choose to help others consider a view that perhaps varies from yours. First Amendment, Tom. Cope!
    Post edited by jbreezy5 on

• treitz3
    Options
    Infuriating. Those that would like to read about and learn about the ER have to put up with your constant interruptions. It's rather sad.

Once again, I ask you to just leave and put me on ignore.

Tom
  • jbreezy5
    Options

I read Darqueknight’s review; it’s purely subjective.

Why don’t you read Amir’s review? It is both objective and subjective. Your turn to expand your horizon and consider another point of view.

I only shudder when someone claims to be an expert, and they are not. Also when someone admits they’re not an expert, but then asserts themselves as though they are one.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    Amir?...LOL....LMAO....LOL
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,331
    edited January 7
    Options

…Why don’t you read Amir’s review?...

Amir’s reviews are worthless. Anyone can run a series of measurements (including his holy-grail - SINAD) and say one piece of gear is better than another. The problem is, near as I can tell, he never actually listens to the gear he “reviews”. I put ears to one of his vaunted Topping amplifiers, and it sounded like a PA amplifier - completely dead. I stopped caring how gear measured a long time ago. I am much more interested in how gear sounds now. After all, isn’t that what the hobby is about? Amir has mis-lead countless people by teaching them to rely on measurements…
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,104
    Options
    What I don’t get is how someone can tell another what they are hearing when they have never listened to that person’s setup in the first place. I don’t care if it is the best gear in the world or a Hello Kitty boom box. If it sounds fantastic to them or if they hear things you don’t, who the eff are you to insist otherwise.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,929
    Options

Why don’t you read Amir’s review? It is both objective and subjective. Your turn to expand your horizon and consider another point of view.

I only shudder when someone claims to be an expert, and they are not. Also when someone admits they’re not an expert, but then asserts themselves as though they are one.

vibso2nn1cct.gif

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,190
    Options

I read Amir's review a couple years ago and just skimmed it again yesterday. I don't think measurements have no purpose. I wonder if the guy might not have good ears though. Lots of people don't.

Darqueknight's review was not entirely subjective. He compared a small pixel region of his screen and I could see more contrast and detail.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    Based on the reviews I've read, Amir stopped listening to music a long time ago.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Getting back to the discussion....

This is a quote from a member of this forum who is highly respected. I hope he does not mind me re-posting his words from another forum...
    When I am done with my EtherREGEN peripheral upgrades, the total cost will be over 10 times the price of the EtherREGEN, because I opted for:

AfterDark Emperor Double Crown clock

Farad Super3 linear power supply

Revelation Audio Labs Cat8+ Ethernet cables

Revelation Audio Labs 75 ohm clock cable

PS Audio AC-12 power cables for the Super3 LPS and AfterDark clock

The fact that the EtherREGEN responds very favorably to peripheral upgrades is a testament to its excellent low noise performance characteristics. If the resolution quality was not there in the first place, differences in Ethernet cables, clocks, clock cables, power supplies, and power cords would not be discernible or as easily discernible.

With my EtherREGEN(s), I started out small. From the original SMPS, I moved to a TeraDak DC-30 12V/2A linear power supply, then to a TeraDak DC-50W 12V/4A linear power supply. I started with ordinary Cat5e Ethernet cables and progressed from there to the controversial higher performance, lower noise, audio grade Ethernet cables. I was quite surprised by the stereophonic sound quality improvements achieved with an inexpensive (under $100) 10 MHz clock. Those sonic improvements were further enhanced by powering the clock with an inexpensive linear power supply and using a better power supply power cable and a better clock cable.

This was a post from back in 2021. I am experiencing the same thing (albeit with differing gear). This is one of the wonderful things about this particular switch.

More to come within the next month. Suffice it to say? This is one of the best things I have purchased along my audio journey.

Tom

• treitz3
    Options
    That said, going back to before we got interrupted....

I was able to run across a very interesting thread that has a link to a white paper, written by John Swinson. For those that are interested in learning more about the ER, this is a great place to get your learn on.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/62477-john-swenson-tutoring-paper-considerations-regarding-usage-of-external-reference-clocks-etherregen-and-other-sine-vs-square-impedance-cables—and-a-money-saving-surprise-at-the-end/

When you have the time? Read about the white paper. It is enlightening. FWIW.

Tom

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,087
    Options
    I'm waiting with bated breath for the EtherREGEN Gen 2 to become available . . . when folks . . . WHEN?
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • treitz3
    Options
    No doubt! I checked my emails last night. Still haven't gotten one from them yet.

Soon. *fingers crossed*

Tom
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    Options
    Getting back to the discussion....

This is a quote from a member of this forum who is highly respected. I hope he does not mind me re-posting his words from another forum...

Tom

Of course not. Glad you achieved good results.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • treitz3
    Options
    Thanks on both accounts. I was able to run across an older post by Alex, the owner of UpTone Audio and he stated this about the ER gen2 -

8d15wt4xu0ct.png

Tom
  • treitz3
    Options
    Okay, as time has marched on? It seems this EtherREGEN seems to be one of my most prized purchases.

Not just because of what it does by itself but because of what you can do with it.

That 10MHz input leaves the door WIDE open to a world of opportunities. @DarqueKnight, I would like to thank you profusely for your help in this thread and others in helping me sort through something that, one year ago, I knew nothing about.

When I reflect back on this journey, it all started with a cheap $14 Ethernet cable. That was the most expensive $14 cable I ever experienced.

More later but I will say this. Those that stream and want to continually improve things as your budget allows? This EtherREGEN is the ticket.

Tom