Jeff Bagby's Helios CM Bookshelf Speaker Kit

Options

Comments

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,188
    Options
    75 dollars! In my estimation that’s not a bad price for some professional level know how
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »
    75 dollars! In my estimation that’s not a bad price for some professional level know how

No that is very reasonable I think…thx!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,082
    Options
    @stangman67 Great thread about your project!
    Superb work!
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,518
    Options
    I’ll second that! What is the brand of “pegboard” in your shop?
  • stangman67
    Options
    maxward wrote: »
    I’ll second that! What is the brand of “pegboard” in your shop?

The whole wall is “wall control” from Amazon. Really nifty stuff!

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    Options
    I've got some of the "wall control" in my garage, love it.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • stangman67
    Options
    First brace done. I used a bit larger holes than Javad did in his build. Trying to keep as much volume as possible given I am using a extra half inch panel on the side. Not sure if I am gonna add additional bracing like he did

sxip84r80frd.jpeg

• stangman67
    Options
    If I had the chance to do it again I’d use a smaller middle hole and bring it down away from the driver cut out

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Nice work
    Have you decided what you are going to use to seal the MDF before you paint?
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • stangman67
    edited April 2022
    Options
    I’m gonna use automotive epoxy sealer/primer from TCP global, and then going to use their “Dove Gray” stock color urethane base boat/clear coat system as well. A few coats of epoxy primer/sealer should lay down plenty thick and prevent the MDF from soaking up the paint

• stangman67
    Options
    Sorry misrepresented, going to use DTM high build 2K primer to seal the MDF

• txcoastal1
    Options
    Sweet, so you're planning on using the green auto paint?

You mentioned "or a gray" earlier. What came to mind was using the green then a slate gray pearl on top of that would be interesting
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• stangman67
    Options
    No British racing green anymore unfortunately, my wife said if I want any chance of these going in the living room they need to be blue or gray. So gray it is

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    Great progress so far, looking forward to seeing the finished result!
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,704
    Options
    Im a fan. Nice work.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • stangman67
    Options
    Adding the 1/2 MDF panel on the inside of the side baffle. This will allow me to safely recess the PR in which has a flange thickness of about 1/2 inch

wvjdz4y7ijqr.jpeg
    pgxo8otqa2ef.jpeg

• stangman67
    Options
    Probably the last meaningful progress this weekend. May get a bit of time to work next weekend before I get underway. Then this project will be paused until early June

728e97y4gzc3.jpeg
    5345obb1htg8.jpeg

• txcoastal1
    Options
    Booo!!
    We hate cliffhangers >:)

• stangman67
    Options
    A bit more progress. Both cabinets are completely built with the exception of the baffles. I will cut the driver holes before I glue the baffles, just in case. Awaiting the aluminum tweeter waveguides before I start the driver holes, I wasn’t happy with the 3d printed ones some spent a bit more coin for a finished product

These things are huge and are going to be very heavy fully built. I’m anticipating 50ish pounds each. I really didn’t account for them being so large lol

e0vkwm5krx01.jpeg
    f7ngymtd96lo.jpeg

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,704
    Options
    Those look solid.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • stangman67
    Options
    A bit more progress. Scary progress. Cut the hole for the first mid. Made a few practice holes and was happy, was a little more slop than I wanted in the last practice, so I went one smaller on the jasper jig and still a bit more extra space around the woofer than I wanted. Still fairly successful for my first time doing this. I figure I am going to do at least two coats of primer, two coats of base and two or three coats of clear, so that gap should close up significantly. Probably will work out great in the end

k5eidsh398a3.jpeg
    i914nh3kdoxz.jpeg
    zkq0twwexril.jpeg
    c17h7te4odb9.jpeg

• Clipdat
    Options
    Looking good! That's a hell of a woofer!
  • stangman67
    Options
    Thanks! The woofers are no joke, rare to see 8” woofers on “bookshelf” speakers. These things should get down for stand mounters. I’m starting to wonder if 80WPC is gonna be enough lol

• Clipdat
    Options
    Speaking of stands, what are you planning on using to support these big boys?
  • stangman67
    Options
    I’m either going to buy some 4 leg walnut stands from Timbernation or build my own. Not sure yet, not thinking doing them myself is gonna save me much, so probably just gonna buy some. I’ll broach that once the speakers are done and I’m sure I want to/ am allowed to use them in the living room. These are much bigger than my wife is expecting lol (some jokes to be had there)

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,518
    Options
    Well, she can take a joke, can’t she?
  • txcoastal1
    edited April 2022
    Options

Really looking forward to when you get these ramped up. Had a similar project with Russman ie The Rooster years ago.

Had large Morel 8" hybrid mid-woofer and Morel Soft dome tweeter. Large ported cabinet TL design.

Pic is grainy due to lighting of our room at LSAF. The integrated was a Jolida 801 65-80watt using 6550's

Really nice. I think you really like those speakers you are building.
    What comes to mind on playing is .... to test room resonant
    Mark Knopfler
    Shangri-La

I'm watching this thread in excitement :)

e7mqpgqsuvuu.jpg

• stangman67
    Options
    Funny you mention Mark Knopfler, I’m jamming to “sailing to Philadelphia” on repeat right now on the Focals. Really lovely stuff.

Thanks for sharing, I’m sure those speakers sounded great, morel makes a fantastic driver. And yes I am really enjoying this build thus far. I enjoy a good project from time to time, usually it’s house stuff so it is nice to do a project surrounding one of my hobbies

• stangman67
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Got the CNCed aluminum waveguides for the tweeters in. These things are awesome! Next update will be in June

ynw1p5ufb08d.jpeg
    kmi4clehcoxq.jpeg
    l5gxpahicast.jpeg

• stangman67
    Options
    Found a day to make a little progress. Did one of the tweeter cutouts done. Baffle 1 is now complete. I’ll try to get the first speakers passive radiator cut out today too and then I’ll glue the baffle on the cabinet

Speaker 2 needs its two baffles glued together and all speaker cutouts done.

Then I will move on to crossover/binding post mounting and then onto the painting process

cqnqpqye3opn.jpeg
    w5hacjo2isn3.jpeg
    387zafua64b8.jpeg