Jeff Bagby's Helios CM Bookshelf Speaker Kit

Options

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    That extends well below the brown note
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Any updates? Looking forward to finish pics. Great build to follow.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »
    LOL. End of the year is my goal. I have tons of half finished projects laying around. I do listen to them a lot as they sir though.

How do they sound... >:):)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options
    They sound real nice! Smooth and easy to listen to. Really impressive sound for a “bookshelf”. I’m planning to do a no **** professional quality paint job on these. Hope to keep them for the long haul
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    How did I completely miss this thread until now?! :(
    Great loudspeaker project @stangman67!

DIY is a great value proposition for those who can do the cabinet work. It's even a decent option for folks like me who torture/butcher lumber, but can still get exactly what we want (usually with the help of a bespoke cabinetmaker)! My father and my son were/are (respectively) good wordworkers, but those genes unfortunately skipped my generation. Guess they must be recessive, and I must be a heterozygote. >#
    Also Sprach Zarathustra? :p 24 Hz woofer buster I believe

Edit - apparently it is "supposed" to be a low C, 16 Hz. I don't know why I can hear it on the recording I listen to cause my system doesn't go that low. They must've raised it for people with lesser sound systems.

Yes 16 Hz. 32 foot organ pipe.
    To quote the late, great Col. Paul Wilbur Klipsch (who was responsible for generally rather bad sounding loudspeakers, but who still manifested great wit and wisdom doing it -- and turned out loudspeakers that were exactly what he wanted them to be):
    They make miniature tubes and miniature
    loudspeakers, but they have yet to come up with a
    miniature 32-foot wavelength
    source: https://2d73e25b29782b6d6766-9c8af5cbfef16739445bc76457060528.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/PWK_Klipschisms_130730_635108757549100000.pdf
    If you want to hear it (assuming your loudspeaker will let you, and not just tease you with doubling, i.e., second harmonic distortion), this recording'll do it. :)

dh31dslmnn78.png

(an audiophile classic! :) )
  • xschop
    Options
    Autosomal recessive perhaps?😁

After the new Rondo wire upgrade, I re-ran some bass-tone tests and the 5Bs hit low 30's Hz with even more authority.

I imagine the modded Monitor 7's would be able to hit upper teens?
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    The trick isn't hitting :p those frequencies (i.e., providing audible output at x dB below midrange level, whatever value x might take) -- the trick is not to have that output overwhelmed by a huge amount of second harmonic distortion at twice the fundamental frequency. Doubling is easily audible on a sweep, but it is often misinterpreted as deep bass by even ears that should know better. It's pretty much baked in to the "psychoacoustics" since doubling results in a tone that's exactly an octave above the fundamental, and our brains are happy to re-insert the missing fundamental. Neuroscientist/psychologist Daniel Levitin discussed this effect in one of his books -- I believe it was This is Your Brain on Music, but I won't swear to it.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    Michael Murray/Bach The Great Organ At Methuen, Passacaglia and Fugue for organ in C minor will go pretty low. Some Skrillex for fun.

y22ksswob6lc.jpg

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Methuen?!? :o

Gol'dang!
    https://mmmh.org/

How did I live in the Bay State for 23 years and not know of this organ?!
    :#
  • ken brydson
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Too many jokes, too little time...

• stangman67
    Options
    You all got me motivated. Disassembled the speakers and got them all prepped for paint. Sanded for about 3 hours to get all the panels even. All transitions are not indiscernible by feel. Final sanded with 220, now I need to seal the non machined edges with some wood glue and sand that back down and I should be ready for Primer. Won’t lay down the primer this weekend but should be good to go when I get my next wind

1gbq3mi7jzs8.jpeg

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,598
    Options
    Nice cabinets.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Highly recommend a shellac based primer...lookin' good man!!
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• stangman67
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »
    All transitions are not indiscernible by feel.

Holy double negative Batman! What I meant to say was not discernible lol. I’ll look up a shellac primer. I have automotive 2k DTM I was planning on using

• txcoastal1
    Options
    If you have the DTM, run a test coat on your scrap to see if it raises or swells the MDF. Not familiar with the 2k but read a bit where a guy used shellac based Barcoat the the 2k. Barcoat expensive but you can use zinsser BIN shellac primer

https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/epoxy-and-2k-onto-mdf.110074/

• VR3
    Options
    Mdf usually needs a really good sealer

@F1nut
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • stangman67
    Options
    I did seal the edges with glue, so the edges won’t soak up paint. I have some BIN from my bathroom remodel so I can roll on a coat of that before laying down the automotive primer

• SCompRacer
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Good job on the edges....if not, doesn't happen right away, but time will expose them for what they are. ;)

Keep going, I need some incentive. I have a Walnut TT plinth in raw state that needs finishing.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SCompRacer
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Methuen?!? :o

Gol'dang!
    https://mmmh.org/

Oh please, you must have heard or felt its presence at some time. :)
  • stangman67
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    If you have the DTM, run a test coat on your scrap to see if it raises or swells the MDF. Not familiar with the 2k but read a bit where a guy used shellac based Barcoat the the 2k. Barcoat expensive but you can use zinsser BIN shellac primer

https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/epoxy-and-2k-onto-mdf.110074/

Thanks for the suggestion, think this is going to end up being a very vital step. Rolled on two coats of B I N this morning and very happy with the results. Might do a third coat a little later so I have more sanding room.

l3l6127ba6g1.jpeg

• VR3
    Options
    Looks great
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    MOST

io4wjp4c51zd.gif

I assume you will be adding the auto primer after the BIN. I'd start moving up on grit as you progress with coats. 400-800-1000 then the paint.

Going to be exciting watching the progress. When all said and done you should literally be able to buff and polish like a car.

• stangman67
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Yup, I’ll sand the B I N and then add the DTM. There are some visible seams on the top of one of the speakers, so I’ll attempt to address those in the sanding process prior to spraying the 2K primer.

I will definitely sand in between the primer coats and the base coats and clear. Then I will wet sand will some 1000 and 2000 and then polish with compound/polish. I don’t think they will turn out perfect as I am a paint rookie but I am hoping for at least pretty good

• stangman67
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I have come to the recent realization that these cabinets are a LONG ways from being ready for paint. I started blocking the top of one speaker about an hour ago and it still is not flat. I made the mistake of using titebond glue to fill in the very small imperfections where the panels met. I used too much glue which created a sanding distaster to get rid of the excess glue. To accomplish that task, I utilized an RA as a block would have taken way way too long. After I rolled on the primer I could tell I had a lot of high spots still. I moved to the block to verify and sure enough there are a lot of high spots that need to be knocked down, and then will have to roll on some more sealer before I move on to the coating system. I’d estimate I probably have 10-15 hours of blocking to go to get the panels evened out to an acceptable level.

Learning a ton here and still having fun, despite minor frustrations like this.

• txcoastal1
    Options
    You have taken it this far, and you seem the like the speaker, so no reason to rush. I'll make another suggestion especially since your are sanding anyway. I recommend taking some flat black paint spray paint and hit the areas where the speakers mount with a couple of coats. No need to primer.

• Gardenstater
    Options
    When I used to do my own auto body work on my 240Z I used alternating gray and red primers to show the high and low spots when wet sanding.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • xschop
    Options
    Truck bedliner takes all your problems away lol.
  • stangman67
    Options
    @xschop well I hate myself way too much to do something that easy lol. The paint is one of the things that got me most excited about this. Want to try to master a new skill

• mhardy6647
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    Truck bedliner takes all your problems away lol.

FWIW, I had a similar thought -- although I was thinking more along the lines of Plastidip. :#
    That should cover those minor cabinet surface imperfections.

https://plastidip.com/our-products/plasti-dip/

5r42ds5wd3ku.png

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,554
    Options
    I've got a friend who plastidipped their car. It actually looks very good. I had just thought they painted it a flat color until they told me what it was. The color is navy blue and it is on a new Camero.