Jeff Bagby's Helios CM Bookshelf Speaker Kit

Options

Comments

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options
    And now got the first PR cutout done. Everything is going swimmingly so far. Probably all the progress I’ll get done this weekend but I’ll be back at it mid June. Cannot wait to get these puppies up and running in the living room!

kmlei72kvq8f.jpeg
    y31ib6zjn8dl.jpeg
    suel0z908v73.jpeg
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,080
    Options
    Very nice work and love the detailed documentation. Enjoying the read.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,697
    Options
    Nice work again. Someone should make an updated set of Monitor 7's this way.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • stangman67
    edited May 2022
    Options
    1st speaker main construction done (just have bracing and crossover placement to do before paint). Last photo is a basic representation of placement in my living room. Still deciding on speaker stands but they will have to be 4-6” taller than the end table it is sitting on now

8chx1o75p5cn.jpeg
    berdne6ql1cu.jpeg
    mpx4vwv4o3la.jpeg
    nbauv3ank6jt.jpeg

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,976
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    Nice work again. Someone should make an updated set of Monitor 7's this way.

Not to muck up this thread, but I have thought that for a LONG time. I loved my monitor 5s with peerless and the 8 inch passive, and tried to think about the dimensions of the box with the passive on the side. It would be much more SAF friendly…

But back to our regularly scheduled programming, this looks awesome and I too love the detailed thread!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • stangman67
    Options
    Little more progress today now that I am back. Got the crossovers mounted on the first speaker. Next I will build bracing and get them in the speaker. Then need to finish the baffle and cut the holes in the other speaker and brace that one. I will probably then slap the speakers together and test and then paint if I’m happy with the sound

tjajzskmcskp.jpeg
    nqjoi80tfh2l.jpeg

• stangman67
    Options
    Caught a little extra motivation today and installed the drivers and wired it up. Put it upstairs in my main system just to make sure everything was functional and indeed it is fully operational. Always exciting to get that first listen. Cant offer any impressions as it was only a single speaker playing alongside the Kanta on the other side, but I’m happy to say the least

3e1o9p4bmtfz.jpeg

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,697
    Options
    Do you feel that the side mounted PRs are more forgiving in room placement/set up?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • stangman67
    Options
    I don’t know that I am qualified to answer that question. But I certainly believe that a side firing PR will be must more forgiving than a rear facing port when it comes to being able to tuck a speaker closer to the back wall. Other than that I don’t have much insight

• stangman67
    Options
    Received the stands for the speakers today. I decided to cheap out/go the easy route and purchase some monoprice stands. These will be filled with sand, and should do the trick for now. I personally think they look pretty decent as well.

The other speakers baffle is done and glued on, I bought a dewalt cordless palm sander and that made quick work of evening out all the edges and panels. Should have the driver holes cut out tomorrow and then I will put that one together and test the pair before final bracing and painting

dkjr00o46sal.jpeg

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,028
    Options
    Love the build. The parts selection on the crossovers are very nice as well. Time to upgrade those kantas!

I've found that side mounted PRs on mirror imaged speakers usually works out really well.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • stangman67
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Love the build. The parts selection on the crossovers are very nice as well. Time to upgrade those kantas!

I've found that side mounted PRs on mirror imaged speakers usually works out really well.

Thanks! Maybe someday I’ll let you play with the kanta crossovers, I can’t be trusted to do that lol

• VR3
    Options
    Alot**** of gains to be had there no doubt
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    Options
    No idea What I wrote that required *** can't even remember lol
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,184
    edited June 2022
    Options
    The only thing I could think of was Alotta Fajina but that don't make any sense really....

Edit - I guess that wasn't it :D
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • VR3
    Options
    Great movie! 😛
  • stangman67
    Options