Jeff Bagby's Helios CM Bookshelf Speaker Kit

Options

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I've got a friend who plastidipped their car. It actually looks very good. I had just thought they painted it a flat color until they told me what it was. The color is navy blue and it is on a new Camero.

I did not know this was a thing 'til I googled looking for an image of a can of Plastidip.
    I have some in the basement. It's black, but it's not quite the same as black paint. B)
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options
    Slow progress. Got back to sanding this morning. They are not perfect but good enough to move onto the next steps. Gonna roll on a few more coats of Shellac primer today and then sand smooth and hopefully shoot 2K primer sometime this week.

Also picked up a NAD M10 V2 all in one integrated to run these. Traded in the C368 and got 500 more in trade value than what I paid for it. The M10 fits on the mantle rather than having to place the C368 in the dining room and run long speaker cables

lww090l9f1of.jpeg
    agoq7hbb13he.jpeg
    zo7zqwqlldjj.jpeg
    wmy6idf09ouq.jpeg
    zovhl9ssk7xd.jpeg
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • stangman67
    Options
    Many coats of BIN yesterday. Sanded one down completely smooth this morning with 220. She’s ready for 2K primer and then base and clear. I’m getting pumped to get this project done. It’s been way way more work than I expected it to be. Veneer would have been way easier and cheaper!

d6hjpr3zva0c.jpeg

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,683
    Options
    Your hard work is paying off. Kudos on staying the course.

I spend more time painting Big Brake calipers than I did on my 5Bs lol
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • stangman67
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I’ve wanted to give up plenty of times! I love projects but the repetitiveness of sanding and priming and sanding and priming gets old. The satisfaction of the end result will be well worth it I am sure

Next time I build speakers I will pay to get the panels CNCed or I will buy a table saw. Perfect panels would have made the painting process a lot easier

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Looks great!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • stangman67
    Options
    Quick and dirty bracing done. I could have spent significantly more time making it look nicer but I figured I would just use scrap and make it good enough.

k9x0jdzqwr5e.jpeg
    onu1i9lju726.jpeg

Decisions made long ago with the main internal brace led to a few issues as I would have loved to integrate the PR cutout braces with the main vertical braces, but there wasn’t enough meat on the main brace to glue the vertical braces in the middle

• stangman67
    Options
    I may do a few more pieces of bracing later on after the crossovers are installed for the final time as I don’t want to completely close off my access to the mounting screws

• xschop
    Options
    What are/will you be doing for the backwave reflections?
  • stangman67
    Options
    I have some ultratouch denim insulation for all internal surfaces. This was recommended by the speaker designer

• xschop
    Options
    👍
  • Nate29
    Options
    I just ordered the CM kit from meniscus.

How did you get the cabinet plans ahead of shipping? Did they email it to you?
  • stangman67
    Options
    Nate29 wrote: »
    I just ordered the CM kit from meniscus.

How did you get the cabinet plans ahead of shipping? Did they email it to you?

No they did not, the plans are available in the website but they are not correct (ask me how I know). The ones included with the kit are excellent. I’m sure they would email them to you if you ask

• Nate29
    Options
    Hah! I’ll play. How did you find out the plans from the site are wrong?
  • Nate29
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »
    I have some ultratouch denim insulation for all internal surfaces. This was recommended by the speaker designer

Where are you sourcing the ultratouch denim insulation from? I can’t seem to find it anywhere

• stangman67
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Nate29 wrote: »
    stangman67 wrote: »

Where are you sourcing the ultratouch denim insulation from? I can’t seem to find it anywhere

Don’t know if you are still kicking around @Nate29 but the insulation was included in the Kit from Meniscus as I got the full kit
    Post edited by stangman67 on

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Bumpity---Any updates on this project
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 999
    Options
    Way sweet...
    Would love to hear these.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • stangman67
    Options
    I’m the worst, so no lol. I’ve been trying to get motivated to get some 2k primer on them and sand again but man it’s been tough getting back going. I have a week off after this week of work so I might try to attack them then

• stangman67
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Okay finally some progress. I got off my lazy but and got these things in primer today. Learned some things but overall for my first time spraying with a spray gun I am very happy. There will be some areas to correct on one of the baffles as I think I got a bit close on the first coat but a little sanding should correct that without issue

Overspray got absolutely everywhere, glad I put a sheet of plastic up to separate the the area I was painting from the other mustang. When I lay the base coat down I will put up more plastic to completely enclose the space. As far as I can tell I didn’t get paint on anything important lol

8crs52s68l0q.jpeg
    stfkmf3op86q.jpeg

• stangman67
    Options
    In the sunlight to cure. I think I could rock these in primer and be happy, getting stoked for this project again

myso5cjngt06.jpeg

• VR3
    Options
    I know how much work that is... Kudos to the effort!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • stangman67
    Options
    Also I’m floored it’s been a year since I started these! Next time I’m veneering, would have been done 6 months ago lol

• kcoc321
    kcoc321 Posts: 1,788
    Options
    Those are lookin great! Can't wait to hear how they sound :smile:
  • stangman67
    Options
    Three coats of base. This is a cement gray color which is exactly what I was going for. Gonna clean the gun and wait an hour then clear it

zgjmvwfj20c9.jpeg
    9rhf2ld3pml3.jpeg

• stangman67
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Alright clear is done. Three coats and it is looking good. Some trash in the clear as expected without a well controlled work area but in general I am super pleased.

mou7cz516m2i.jpeg
    xoztjib5gt0k.jpeg
    lxyqpja2dhdn.jpeg
    Post edited by stangman67 on

• VR3
    Options
    Looks awesome!
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Options
    Great job!
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • stangman67
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Thanks gents. Will wet sand over the next few days and then assemble for the final time