COVID-19

Kex
Kex Posts: 4,528
edited March 2020 in The Clubhouse
Following the untimely demise of the “other” thread, this thread can help keep anyone with an interest up to date on what the situation is as it develops.

Try and keep your politics out of the discussion (in accordance with Club Polk guidance - and they own the forum).

Some information from the previous discussion:
  • The Tracker From John Hopkins University of global infections. This is frequently behind the current situation from other credible local sources, frequently even a day late (sometimes longer), but it still seems to be the most complete source of data that is updated at least daily.
  • The U.S. Center for Disease Control & Prevention Home Page. Updated at noon on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
  • W.H.O. Response Home Page, with daily updates.
Also, the effect according to age and contributing factors etc.
wave2be0q5lq.jpeg

At the moment, three countries have enacted a strict quarantine outside of China. They are Italy, France and Spain.
  • The number of cases outside of China tripled within a week from last Friday, March 6.
  • The number of cases outside of China will exceed those in China within 24 hours (as of today, March 14).
  • More than 75% of cases detected have recovered in China. 25% of those detected in Iran have recovered.
  • No other country exceeds a recovery rate of 10%.
  • The epicenter is currently Europe, especially Italy and Spain, but also France and Germany.
Alea jacta est!

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,297
    edited March 2020
    Isn't that obvious Bud. Same can be said for any virus. You can't test 365 million people , so naturally some will go undetected.

Now here's the good news. If indeed this virus is more widespread than anyone thinks, and the death toll is the same, kinda reduces that percentage and places this virus in pus sy cat territory in comparison to others.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,370
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Can we stay on topic. This is an interesting news article. If true then containment will be much harder.

‘Infected people without symptoms might be driving the spread of coronavirus more than we realized’

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/14/health/coronavirus-asymptomatic-spread/index.html
    And if true, makes the lack of an available test that much more relevant.

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 1,476
    verb wrote: »
    I think world leaders are within the bounds of this thread, IMO. Sure, it may trigger some...

Therein lies the problem...

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 742
    Let's not get all tangled up with this PC bs.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 14,294
    I also read that if you have had this virus once, you can still get it again, and again...

Yes. I have seen that a few times. I guess it will be like the flu where you need to get a shot every year. Of course since we don’t have any shots for it yet that is all speculation.
    Lumin X1 file player
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 9,975
    This is some good news! A woman in her 50s and a married couple in their 70s!
    wtwlh92aa1ud.png
    https://www.breitbart.com/health/2020/03/14/three-maryland-coronavirus-patients-make-full-recovery/
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cables, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
  • CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 559
    What was the previous big scare that an anti-virus was rushed through that proved to wind up being terribly harmful?

When you hear the talk of hurry to get something out for this, I can't help but think I may not want to be anywhere near the front of that line!

CJ
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • kevhed72
    wtwlh92aa1ud.png
    https://www.breitbart.com/health/2020/03/14/three-maryland-coronavirus-patients-make-full-recovery/
    quite the non political news source

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,915
    Does anyone have the straight dope on how lethal this supposed to be? Is the jury still out?
  • afterburnt
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    The CDC is a scientific entity and the majority of staff, if not all, are not elected.

They are Feds, do you expect them to be agenda free?

• verb
    @kevhed72 not my intent brother! It's been widely reported.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cables, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
  • kevhed72
    @kevhed72 not my intent brother! It's been widely reported.
    well thats good news then! I have been trying to avoid all news except for this forum and a few obscure non us-based ones.

• verb
    This is cool.
    gbobkird13t6.png
    Thursday, the company announced that starting Monday, it would give new customers “60 days of complimentary Internet Essentials service, which is normally available to all qualified low-income households for $9.95/month,” according to a press release.
    Also, we are increasing Internet speeds for the Internet Essentials service from 15/2 Mbps to 25/3 Mbps for all new and existing customers, which will be the speed of the service going forward. In this way, we will ensure that Internet Essentials customers will be able to use their Internet service for all their increased needs as a result of this health crisis.
  • afterburnt
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 22,993

Triggered much?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Statement V2 cartridge and Origin Conqueror Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds.

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book has been rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered…History has stopped. Nothing exists except the endless present in which the party is always right” — George Orwell

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 1,476
    wtwlh92aa1ud.png

Seriously? Good Lord - here’s a bit of REALLY good news, but somehow we take issue with it. Really gives one the sense that a select few are rooting for the virus.

Here’s the same story from another source - but let me guess, you’re going to have an issue with this one too. Don’t worry, CNN will catch up soon enough.maybe you should be asking yourself why your preferred news source isn’t giving you THIS information...

https://www.fox5dc.com/news/3-maryland-coronavirus-patients-fully-recovered-able-to-return-to-everyday-life

So what are the approved news sources in your opinion?

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
  • afterburnt
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Bring politics into a revised thread equals disaster might as well end this one as well.

Say you like cheese and it becomes political. I have seen people on here crying "politics" while they make their own political statements. Some people cry politics as soon as you post something that triggers them. Was that political?
  • verb
    edited March 2020
    Gents all good here.

I do believe, due to the high risk of this thread getting shut down, which IMO is invaluable as we discuss CV, we need to take care. I will do the same.

Let's keep it going, keep it fact based, so everyone can learn together and gain understanding.
  • kevhed72

Triggered much?
    meaning....are you suggesting Breitbart is not an agenda driven source of news? On either side of the spectrum, there are very few remaining objective sources of news left.

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 1,827
    Why are people so confrontational here?
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, all std. mods (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • afterburnt
    This is cool.
    gbobkird13t6.png
    Thursday, the company announced that starting Monday, it would give new customers “60 days of complimentary Internet Essentials service, which is normally available to all qualified low-income households for $9.95/month,” according to a press release.
    Also, we are increasing Internet speeds for the Internet Essentials service from 15/2 Mbps to 25/3 Mbps for all new and existing customers, which will be the speed of the service going forward. In this way, we will ensure that Internet Essentials customers will be able to use their Internet service for all their increased needs as a result of this health crisis.

PR/Virtue signaling. Sign of the times.
  • verb
    Thank you @Hermitism !
    mezesk16q6h7.png
  • kevhed72
    daddyjt wrote: »
    wtwlh92aa1ud.png

Seriously? Good Lord - here’s a bit of REALLY good news, but somehow we take issue with it. Really gives one the sense that a select few are rooting for the virus.

Here’s the same story from another source - but let me guess, you’re going to have an issue with this one too. Don’t worry, CNN will catch up soon enough.maybe you should be asking yourself why your preferred news source isn’t giving you THIS information...

https://www.fox5dc.com/news/3-maryland-coronavirus-patients-fully-recovered-able-to-return-to-everyday-life

So what are the approved news sources in your opinion?
    I'm sure Fair and Balanced and CNN are all over this story since it will bring us some hope in a time of uncertainty. The point of my comment was one of the most political news sources was quoted in what was supposed to be a non political thread. To suggest I am rooting for the virus since you and I have never had a prior exchange on this forum is ridiculous.
  • verb
  • afterburnt
    Why are people so confrontational here?

Because people are so polarized that you can't have an opinion that differs from their world view. They get all pissed when you challenge their religion. How's that for political?
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,752
    edited March 2020
    wtwlh92aa1ud.png

They couple are back from being quarantined on a cruise ship. Both tested negative for the virus. They never had the virus to recover from.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

There are three things that give a man a false sense of courage, a keyboard, alcohol and a firearm.
    Motorhead, 4.12.20

Tony said " but even socialists can do a good thing here and there

the substitution of politics for existence is the supreme betrayal of the subjective otherness of man.
  • afterburnt
    BTW. the sky is falling as always.
  • kevhed72
    Well....I didn't mean to upset anyone on implying Breitbart is a politically agenda driven source of information.
    FWIW....anyone with Netflix should watch "Pandemic" IMO. It came out over before the current crisis and is a pretty straight documentary on pathogens, viruses, and the such. It does paint some pretty scenarios we should all be prepared for. I would be curious what others think of this mini series.
    Good night everyone....
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 742
    wtwlh92aa1ud.png

They couple are back from being quarantined on a cruise ship. Both tested negative for the virus. They never had the virus to recover from.

So they are fully recovered from what then?
  • verb
    Hey @motorhead43026 always good for me to double check. Here's another report. All 3 tested positive.

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!