Looking for a new washer, dryer, and refrigerator.

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Kex wrote: »
    I have a totally different approach: if it requires an extended warranty to feel safe from unexpected expenditure for repairs, then it isn’t worth buying in the first place.

With the way things are made...

Only rich people can afford NOT to have insurance in place.

The rich can afford the most expensive appliances. Us reg. people can't.

Then when the expensive appliance breaks down, the rich just go out and buy another, no problem for them.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    We got the extended warrant for the fridge,, and it costs me 250.00 at the time of purchase,, glad we did,, plus we are getting a nice check for the food we lost,, best thing is it was hassle free. They just don’t make em like they used too!
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,893
    edited March 2020
    Yeah... maybe.

A lot of people would consider me “rich”, although I don’t like the term (what does it even mean?!). I keep my stuff a long time when I can. Youngest vehicle is thirteen years old. Oldest is twenty-six.

Samsung has been mentioned a lot. I only have one Samsung appliance left, and it happens to be a refrigerator. It was about $2K ten years ago. It’s the only Samsung appliance we didn’t have trouble with over the past ten years.
    • Refrigerator from 2010. Works well. Ice works. Water dispenser works. French doors work. Silent operation. No repairs.
    • Microwave from 2010. Repaired twice (DIY with part from Sears). Door lock mechanism broke. Finally stopped working completely in 2019.
    • Dishwasher from 2009. Worked properly for six months. Repaired four times. Finally gave up and gave it away for free (with full disclosure of issues).
    • Television from 2008. Worked okay. Software was glitchy. Repaired because of class action. Then stopped working (software failure of SmartTV functions).
    • Blu-ray player from 2010 (approx.). Just stopped working in 2018. No repairs, though.

Our front load HE washer and gas dryer are both LG. They have worked well since 2008. Only repair was a replacement lint filter under warranty (not extended) for the dryer.

I would not buy anything from Samsung again. Ever. TV is now Sony Bravia (although I hate their Google Android garbage, but I can ignore it unless there is an update required). Dishwasher is Bosch.
    Alea jacta est!
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    That family of 4 are they all growed up?

I need it to fit a family of four lol. No, I need a big freezer because I cook once a week in a big cauldron, freeze most of it and then do the same over and over until I got enough extras that I don't have to cook again for a while.
  • afterburnt
    tonyp063 wrote: »
    Actually Speed Queen *does* make a stacking W/D set.

https://speedqueen.com/products/home-products/stacked-washers-dryers/

I like their waranty but I don't see them at the big box stores. How do you folks feel about mom and pop stores?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    That’s where I bought mine.
    I have switched to buying a lot of appliances and equipment ie lawn etc from authorized reputable repair centers ie usually local “mom and pops”

I make sure they auto log purchases for warranties. You pay an extra 10% sometimes but if it needs service/repair it’s so easy

No receipts, good customer service etc
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    Extended warranty stuff covers the average cost of repair +overhead+profit.
    SO in the long run you are paying more than the cost of repair.
    If appliances are getting that bad (dying just after factory warranty)
    Then something needs to change. If buying the extended warranty
    is a must, maybe the makers need to own up and either improve quality or
    extend their factory warranty. My washing machine fiasco of 6 years ago
    made me so mad. I went through machines of multiple brands. The longest
    one lasted was a week. I finally asked a salesman what model DIDN'T get many returns. It cost more, but has lasted. I miss the ones I could fix myself.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Tony M
    Our fridge cost 3000.00
    extended warranty was...250.00 Total of 5 years of coverage.

3 service calls...almost 2000.00. They replaced upper coil. They replaced lower coil. The third, I don't remember. Maybe the second was the one I don't remember. The guy said the coil replacements were over 700 each. :#

I believe our 250.00 extra insurance has paid off. ;)
  • afterburnt
    How bout them frigerators?
  • Tony M
    The owner/tech said the copper coils are paper thin compared to what they were years ago.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    edited March 2020
    so if this is becomes the new average, how long will a $250 extended
    warranty be available? If they bleed red like that, don't expect them to
    be in business long.
    At some point, the guys making $3k fridges that can't go a year
    without breaking need a wake up call. I'm glad you made out ok.
    you know my 1st washing machine I bought used for $60.
    Ran it 6 years and sold it for $40. It was in that lovely brown color.
    I think I but a belt on it once, that's it. I've bought houses with fridges in them and left them for the next guy who bought it years later.
    All the kitchen appliances I've got now were left from the previous owner.
    Still running just fine almost 3 years later. I dread the day I have to replace them.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Kex
    edited March 2020
    Extended warranties work essentially like insurance. They are based on complex calculations of expected performance, just like car insurance. If one can afford to self insure, then there is every chance that one will benefit. If one cannot, then the guarantor is in the business of making money, and they will, most of the time. Otherwise, they would go out of business (paying for more in repairs than they collect in “premiums”).

Non-premium brands want to sell premium appliances, because they see the margins the premium brands can command. But in the end, buying a premium appliance from a premium brand is likely to be a better decision than buying a premium appliance from a plebeian brand.

When faced with a vendor attempting to “hard sell” an extended warranty, my usual reply, after listening to their arguments in favor of said warranty, is that if it needs a warranty, then I don’t need the product.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Tony M
    I've been getting "Consumer Report" mags for 30 years. I also research their testing and guides for some purchases.
    They're great!

I immediately get defensive when I hear "hard sale extras" from sales people.

I just happened to know 2 appliance repair men who both told me NOT to buy a newer Samsung multi door fridge/freezer. ;)
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Extended warranty stuff covers the average cost of repair +overhead+profit.
    SO in the long run you are paying more than the cost of repair.
    If appliances are getting that bad (dying just after factory warranty)
    Then something needs to change. If buying the extended warranty
    is a must, maybe the makers need to own up and either improve quality
    or
    extend their factory warranty. My washing machine fiasco of 6 years ago
    made me so mad. I went through machines of multiple brands. The longest
    one lasted was a week. I finally asked a salesman what model DIDN'T get many returns. It cost more, but has lasted. I miss the ones I could fix myself.

Absolutely. I feel it is unforgivable how cheap and unreliable average appliances have become. My washer is 20 yrs old, IIRC Every washer I grew up with in a home was 20 years old. My dad has one that's pushing 30. Therein lies the problem, they lasted too long. Not enough built in planned obsolescence to force you to buy another one.

Tony's $3,000 fridge that needed $2,000 in warranty repairs. Unforgivable. He's a more patient man than I; unless it was too late to return it would have been sold after the first breakdown. What brand was it anyway?
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• Tony M
    Whirlpool Gold 4door.
    The tech/owner of the repair Co. said Whirlpool had to make the call of a new replacement or not. Whirlpool decided to do these repairs instead of a replacement.

BELIEVE ME...my wife was more PO'd than me that we didn't get a new replacement.
    The only thing left to replace now would be the compressor and computer.

Oh, I haven't hooked up the ice maker. The guy told me these break down a lot too. He said I should try and do it while it's still under this extended warranty. I live in an old house and I just can't crawl under the house anymore. I've though about running a line through the attic or under the cabinets many times.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    Tony M wrote: »
    Our fridge cost 3000.00
    extended warranty was...250.00 Total of 5 years of coverage.

3 service calls...almost 2000.00. They replaced upper coil. They replaced lower coil. The third, I don't remember. Maybe the second was the one I don't remember. The guy said the coil replacements were over 700 each. :#

I believe our 250.00 extra insurance has paid off. ;)

Same here,,250.00 for the extended warranty on our LG,, so far in the last week they have replaced,, compressor, evaporator coils(2),,fan motor and motherboard,,, why you may ask,, power surge! You can bet your **** that it’s getting a surge protector this time around,, dunno what the parts cost,but it is more than the 250.00 for the extended warranty. Ours is a counter depth LG French door with pull out drawers,one for fridge and the other for freezer.My dad worked for sears back in the day,,so everything we had was Kenmore,, btw,, the freezer he got in 72 is still chugging away.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    JFC I will never buy anything LG.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Kex wrote: »
    A lot of people would consider me “rich”

Only because you constantly tell them you are.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Kex
    edited March 2020
    🤦‍♂️

Never mind...

Too much potential for a thread derail.
    Alea jacta est!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    I consider a lot of women beautiful until they open their mouth. If you have to keep telling people you are rich, then you are as poor as they come.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    Ahh yes, ‘‘tis the refreshing air of the streets of San Francisco.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited March 2020
    LOL....
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    The noveau riche and their focus on visible manifestations of wealth are always a little embarrassing to see "in the wild" -- that's never changed. Money's a funny thing.

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    edited March 2020
    I haven’t worked a day in three years. Waiting for my son to get out of diapers.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2020
    I retired at fifty-six.
    So many more interesting things to do than work. At least the kind of work my business had turned into by the twenty-teens.

@nooshinjohn, I changed a diaper today myself! :)
    Mrs. H is birding in South America, so I took her turn babysitting our grandson this morning (mom & dad were only able to get daycare for him three days a week, so the two grandmoms do the other two days). Beats the snot out spending days in meetings, let me tell you.
    Said grandson is a very enjoyable little guy -- 8 months old tomorrow.
  • Kex
    edited March 2020
    Indeed... the ability to not work is possibly the only valid definition of “rich”, but even that falls short...
    One person, perhaps, would say that a million dollars is enough to make you rich, while another would say that it takes 10 million. Still others would give answers that weren’t expressed in dollar terms at all. They’d say that wealth means having a big house, a boat, and a private jet – or maybe just a comfortable home and good health insurance.

Wealthy investors – those with a net worth of $5 million or more – tend to agree that income isn’t the best way to define how rich a person is. In a survey of more than 1,100 such investors by Spectrem Group, only 6% of respondents defined “rich” in terms of a person’s current income. Instead, a majority said that the definition of “rich” should hinge on a person’s net worth – the total of all that person’s financial assets, minus the person’s outstanding debts.

However, while wealthy investors agree that it’s possible to define wealth in terms of a specific dollar figure, they disagree widely on just what that figure should be. When Spectrem asked investors exactly how much money it takes to make a person rich, they gave answers ranging from $1 million to more than $5 million. And other studies of investors show that even those who have achieved these levels of wealth don’t necessarily think of themselves as rich – largely because their expectations expand along with their income.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited March 2020
    I went and got a Whirlpool Cabrio set a few years ago...actually, 4 years ago now. Had an issue with the dryer due to being mishandled on the delivery truck but since then, no real problems and moved them to the new house too.

They would have been almost $3K for the pair but I stacked coupons, sales and Lowe's credit card discounts to get what I paid down to about $1400 out the door.

I'm not "rich" like some people but I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night either.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Kex
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I retired at fifty-six.
    Congrats, Mr. H. 😉
    Alea jacta est!
  • mhardy6647
    I am picturing the presidential suite at a Motel 6.
    Can't turn the danged lights off! :|