Looking for a new washer, dryer, and refrigerator.

Options
13»

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    No, basic room at The Brown Hotel on the company dime!

A rich man don't get rich and stay rich spending money he don't have to!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    I have a Whilpool washer and dryer that are 28 years old, I had to put some new cogs in the washer once that's all. Too bad I got a house that won't fit them.

I am going to live at Motel 6, they have refrigerators.
  • charley96
    charley96 Posts: 306
    Options
    I haven’t worked a day in three years. Waiting for my son to get out of diapers.

I love work, I could sit and watch people do it all day long.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    so as we expected, big rise in service calls in the last couple of years.
    Any fridge with more than two doors is trouble.
    Water and ice, along with a lot of the high tech goodies cause issues.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    Perhaps the worst part is some of these companies are out-sourcing the repairs to a third party, and then it takes literally weeks to schedule them just to look at it, then they have to be re-scheduled several weeks later to actually repair it once the parts arrive. My buddy with the LG refrigerator - he's been out a frig for a month to six weeks at a time each of the four times its broken down so far. LG couldn't give a rat's azz. And each time its the compressor, this time they replaced the entire compressor assembly. LG says they won't replace it or give him some other remuneration unless the repair company says there is nothing more they can do, but the repairman says he's not authorized to say that = catch 22. I have an Amana that's over 20 years old and absolutely no problems.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,342
    Options
    Shoot, our fridge has 4 doors and it's a Samsung with HEAVY usage and no issues after 6 or 7 years. I think it boils down to maintenance and sheer luck. *knock on wood*

I will only get older washers and dryers. The clean better, last longer and are much bigger than most of the newer ones. All those fancy lookin' front loaders are a magnet for repairs. Even brand new ones.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    Tom, the quality has gone WAY down since you've bought I think. My buddy's LG is not even two years old and the first compressor went out before he had it a year. Like somebody said above, there's a class action suit on it. His repair man said some of the companies are using crap parts to save money.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    so as we expected, big rise in service calls in the last couple of years.
    Any fridge with more than two doors is trouble.
    Water and ice, along with a lot of the high tech goodies cause issues.

My KitchenAid (Whirlpool) fridge has 5 doors, water, ice, smart fill...

It has been awesome for years now.

I’ve also had very good luck with GE, specifically the Cafe series.

My parents had an issue once with a GE washer, some issue with the suspension design in the washer kept shutting it down. GE could not get it fixed so they sent them a check for the full purchase price of the washer AND matching dryer so that they could replace them with whatever they wanted.

I know others that really like Meile appliances.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    Sad how many remember stuff lasting 15-20 years. Now we are happy it
    didn't break out of the box. But we can network it!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • afterburnt
    edited March 2020
    Options
    @sucks2beme Bic lighter appliances. Do I give them too much credit? No name lighters that shoot the flint in your eye when you flick it ?
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Anyone look at the rankings on that link I posted?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Yes

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• afterburnt
    Options
    @F1nut well Jesse thanks for participating! Well what did you think? They rated some brands pretty high that these guys panned.
  • GospelTruth
    GospelTruth Posts: 403
    Options
    I've had a whirlpool front loader washer and dryer for 16 years. Had to replace the heating element in the dryer last.year, but that's been it. They've been awesome. I bought a Maytag fridge with French doors. It has an ice maker in the freezer and water dispenser in the fridge. I find the models with ice makers and dispensers on the outside door are more problematic.

Best of luck in your purchase!
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Sad how many remember stuff lasting 15-20 years. Now we are happy it
    didn't break out of the box. But we can network it!

Perfect! Harbor Freight quality but with WiFi. 😄
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    What do I think? I'm glad all my appliances are humming right along. Just spent $50.00 including shipping for a minor repair I did to my GE dryer. A few years ago I spent like $10.00 for a new knob on the GE washer. I want no parts of the washers that "save" water...junk.

A buddy brought a fancy new Samsung refrigerator a few years ago. The door handle broke off twice. I modified it the third time for him, still working.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,939
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Anyone look at the rankings on that link I posted?
    Interesting article, but the sample is fairly limited. That said...
    Bosch, Thermador, and Whirlpool's brands (Jenn-Air, KitchenAid, and Maytag) have the best tech support and part availability, at least in Boston. Your area could be different.

Samsung, and especially LG, have bad reviews all over the internet because they do not have the infrastructure to support their growth. The product works. Their logistics need to be beefed up.

Most of these brands, unlike automobile manufacturers, offer minimal service.

I would choose a brand that you can get serviced, if need be. You already like Whirlpool, so it seems like a no brainer.
    Alea jacta est!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    @F1nut well Jesse thanks for participating! Well what did you think? They rated some brands pretty high that these guys panned.

I read it Bruce. Some of those brands I had never heard of. I was surprised at the speed queen rating. My experience from family and friends who've owned sets have had no problems. I do like the simpler top load whirlpool washer and simple dryers are very easy to work on and I've worked on many over the years whether they were whirlpool or kenmore.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,939
    Options
    Top load does not work well with High Efficiency washers... at least, not the ones sold in the U.S.A. Drum rotation is much better than an agitator with HE washers.

(Some other countries I’ve visited have figured out how to make a drum rotation washer with a top load access mechanism.)
    Alea jacta est!
  • afterburnt
    Options
    I have a Whirlpool fridge and LG washer and dryer on deck. Prove me wrong.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    All of this junk will cost less than that Speedqueen. If I live long enough to regret this I probably won't because I will be talking to the dryer not using it.
  • afterburnt
    edited May 2020
    Options
    i0oqsrpba1i8.jpg
    I just got my LG washer and dryer and my Whirlpool Fridge. I got 40 bags of Frozen French Fries! Alas my Dynex motel fridge has served me well.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Maybe an Insignia? Motel fridge.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,760
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Am I too late? Going to vote for Electrolux. They have stackable models and while ours isn't stackable, it has worked flawlessly.

Sorry to get long-winded....

We were looking at a Speed Queen, but with 4 people, including 2 kids, we wanted the extra capacity the Speed Queen didn't offer.

My local dealer stocks just about everything from Amana to Sub Zero. He said if I wanted something other than the Speed Queen, then to go with the Electrolux.

The Electrolux has a 15 min cycle and a high speed spin cycle that is seriously high speed.

I like the fact the Speed Queen has the agitator and has I believe a seperate motor for it, and is really the hallmark feature that makes it work it's wonders, as well as the high-quality, heavy-duty parts. Honestly came down to capacity, and the Electrolux also pre-mixes the soap before introducing to the wash and uses very little soap.

One thing he did recommend is to use powdered soap over liquid and limit fabric softener being a front-loader. He said I would only need a few tablespoons of soap powder and he was right. He also said for the first use, take some clean laundry from your old washer and run a wash cycle with no soap, and see if you have suds....we had a surprising amout of soap which blew my mind.

So overall we are very happy with the Electrolux.

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,878
    Options
    We have had good luck with LG. Had them at our old house no issues. Double oven lg, no issues, LG 4 door fridge with ice machine and crusher along with water, no issues. LG 3 rack dw, the issue is the racks are rusting at the tines on some areas. LG replaced them. Samsung FL washer and dryer no issues all of theses appliances at our current house.