• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,560
    I would if it were 20k pesos.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus

• Thanks to @SeleniumFalcon for posting the notice about the Ken Fritz estate sale auction. I was the winning bidder for Mr. Fritz's Oppo UDP-205 Blu-ray player (MSRP $1300).

I would have won the auction with a winning bid of $1400. However, in order to maximize their profits, eBidLocal.com has this wonderful feature on their auctions:

"DYNAMIC CLOSING: The closing time of an asset is automatically extended an additional 4 minutes whenever a bid is placed within the last 4 minutes of the asset's closing time."

Due to the "Dynamic Closing" feature, 24 bids were submitted after the official close of the auction. This bumped my bid up to $1,617. People stopped submitting bids 30 minutes after the official close when the max bid amount had reached $1,617. The Dynamic closing feature cost me an additional $217.

2kj12lsemrcb.jpg

The auction house provided a list of area shippers, plus there were two recommended shippers, one for small items and one for large heavy "freight-sized" items. I went with the recommended shipper for small items. I emailed and left a voice mail with the recommended shipper the day the auction closed (11/21/23). The shipper called me the next day to ask me to email a copy of the payment invoice. I received a shipping payment invoice on 12/2/23. I paid the shipping fee on that day and my item was tendered to FedEx on that day. I received the item on 12/5/23.

5gu0bh26a05b.jpg
    b6mu859q3wfo.jpg

The player came wrapped in layers of bubble wrap. I was surprised and disappointed that the original factory packaging was not included. I cannot imagine that a meticulous audiophile like the late Mr. Fritz would not keep the original packaging for all his audio/video purchases. I assume that his survivors did not want to expend the effort to find the original packaging and make it available to the auction house.

Included in the shipping box was the player, remote, a short DIY power cord, original purchase receipt, and manual.

8hwgzv0s77r7.jpg
    4m6n7zivd043.jpg

The player and remote were in excellent cosmetic and functional condition.

3rkf7tmfo8u2.jpg
    m66odkog9a5h.jpg

I had a custom padded storage box made. Of course, when I asked Oppo customer service if they still had original manufacturer's packaging for sale, they said NO WAY!

My total investment was as follows:

$1,617.00 Winning bid
    $ 242.55 15% Auction house fee
    $ 111.57 6% Virginia sales tax
    $ 106.30 Shipping
    $ 63.77 Custom storage box
    $ 2,141.19 Total

On the day the auction closed, there were two "scratch and dent" UDP-205s for sale on tmraudio.com, one for $2,324.79 and the other for $2,647.76. Both prices inclusive of $65 shipping. eBay prices on that day for new and used UDP-205s ranged from $2,481 to $6,995 (yikes!).

Conclusion

The Oppo UDP-205 is the heart of my home theater system. I don't know of another streaming UHD player that offers the same combination of build quality, A/V performance, features, and ease of use. Of particular interest to me is the Oppo players' (UDP-205 and UDP-203) ability to play ripped Blu-ray folders as if they were disc-based playback with intact menus. By the time I had decided to buy another UDP-205 as a backup, Oppo had gotten out of the Blu-ray player market. Shortly thereafter, the used market for these players had become predatory. Now, in the hopefully unlikely event that I have to ship my original UDP-205 back to BFE for service or repair, I have an identical backup unit.

6v0ok2pustw7.jpg
    alb7d099gq2q.jpg

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,279
    That is very cool Ray! I feel for those who have paid 3-5k for the player, that is criminal.
    Congrat on the win!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,522
    Does that 65 dollars include the foam inserts for the box?

Where do you source that?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,546
    I admire your resolve and that you have a back up to your 205. Bravo
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited December 2023
    Joey_V wrote: »
    I admire your resolve and that you have a back up to your 205. Bravo

...and also a back up UDP-203. :)
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 431
    edited December 2023
    Fritz estate sale:

My total investment was as follows:

$1,617.00 Winning bid
    $ 242.55 15% Auction house fee
    $ 111.57 6% Virginia sales tax
    $ 106.30 Shipping
    $ 63.77 Custom storage box
    $ 2,141.19 Total

This might have been a better option...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/717280713664647?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp:cfe9338f-9204-44f9-a909-1469b24a9f65
    Alon Petite / Infinity 1.2S / Coda Continuum / Counterpoint SA5000 / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • pitdogg2
  • engie490 wrote: »

Facebook? Yeah, maybe. Until you mentioned this, the thought of buying something off Facebook never entered my mind.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,892
    Just announced today -

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/introducing-olympus-olympus-i-o-a-new-perspective-on-modern-music-playback.37939/

One can dream, can't they?

Holy crap, Batman! I was invited to the world premier for this. DOH! I just can't swing it....but maybe one day....

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,631
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Just announced today -

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/introducing-olympus-olympus-i-o-a-new-perspective-on-modern-music-playback.37939/

One can dream, can't they?

Holy crap, Batman! I was invited to the world premier for this. DOH! I just can't swing it....but maybe one day....

Tom

Lots of hype, not much substance in that announcement. So he's moving to battery power. That is probably a good thing. He hasn't said if he's moving away from Windows Server, which is what the Extreme runs on, and I believe is a weak point.

Curious about the new proprietary XDMI interface. Supposedly based on something in the server world? Maybe a better option, or maybe it something that will trap you in his ecosystem. I'd be interested to learn more about that...or maybe I shouldn't bother because I will never buy anything that expensive
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,892
    I have been following the advancements with the Taiko Extreme server for some time over at the WBF and the empirical evidence is that it is one of the two top Servers in the world right now. Wadex would be the only other contender at the moment. Both, fully outfitted can cost as much as a suburb starter home.

There are a handful of folks who were the world's "guinea pigs" during development and prior to launch. Their comments and reactions were all the same. After the latest NSM update (non-reversible upgrade), it has been referred too as a "new medium" for music.

I will never be able to afford one (and the associated gear they offer with it) but it has been a wonderful experience to listen (well, read) about each advance and what it does to the end result. The one thing I have noticed is that most of the commentary on observations are consistent. I can't recall one person, on an EXTREMELY differing audio forum, actually saying anything bad about the end result as to what hit their ears.

I wish I could be there for the World premier and it is an extreme honor (for little ol' redneck me) to have been invited to it, but I cannot even swing that. I wish I could because I'd like to put my ears on what it is I have been reading about all this time.

Everyone can't be wrong.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    Just make sure you wear a mask 😉
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,823
    7te8tar5nclp.jpeg
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,546
    That’s some heavy hitting room
    ^^^
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • VR3
    edited January 26
    Never cases to amaze me that you can spend bookoo dollars and still have grill pegs, 90 degree cabinet corners on the front baffle and exposed screws in 2024
  • VR3
    The Polk lsim had a better designed baffle

xe5azritqv31.jpg
  • billbillw
    edited January 26
    VR3 wrote: »
    Never cases to amaze me that you can spend bookoo dollars and still have grill pegs, 90 degree cabinet corners on the front baffle and exposed screws in 2024

They seem to focus on driver and crossover quality. I don't think they have the advanced production facilities to make more advanced cabinets. These look to be hand built in the UK. https://www.proac-loudspeakers.com/our-history/
  • VR3
    edited January 26
    Somewhat understandable but most everyone has moved to magnets under the veneer for grills, which is a simple cnc programming. Rounded corners, also very simple to implement.

The only thing overly complicated is the beauty rings.

The prices these manufactures are demanding for their gear, as a community we need to hold everyone to higher standard.

I don't know what those speakers cost but if they over 10k, it would be hard for me to overlook
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,289
    edited January 26
    God those D’Agostino amps are just gorgeous. Maybe if I win the lottery someday.

Those speakers certainly don’t belong next to those monos, looks wise at least IMO.
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • stangman67
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    7te8tar5nclp.jpeg

Those PRO-AC K10’s retail for a cool 100K a pair. Wowsers!

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • VR3
    Yeah man, inexcusable, sorry guys!

• billbillw
    stangman67 wrote: »

Its actually about half that...chump change...

https://reverb.com/item/54070702-proac-k10-reference-three-way-floorstanding-speakers-pair-new

• pitdogg2
    God those D’Agostino amps are just gorgeous. Maybe if I win the lottery someday.
    You and I both brah! I've always been blown away with his stuff, sounds as beautiful as they look.

• billbillw
    VR3 wrote: »
    Somewhat understandable but most everyone has moved to magnets under the veneer for grills, which is a simple cnc programming. Rounded corners, also very simple to implement.

The only thing overly complicated is the beauty rings.

The prices these manufactures are demanding for their gear, as a community we need to hold everyone to higher standard.

I don't know what those speakers cost but if they over 10k, it would be hard for me to overlook

You are used to French design...
    I think the Brits like the box look. Routers be damned!

I get what you are saying...they wouldn't be tops on my list either for that price.

• stangman67
    edited January 26
    billbillw wrote: »

Its actually about half that...chump change...

https://reverb.com/item/54070702-proac-k10-reference-three-way-floorstanding-speakers-pair-new

Those are in Spain. They list 52K on their website in base finish. Doesn’t mention pair or single but I’d assume it’s a single. Either way it’s 52 or 104k retail, doesn’t really matter lol

• VR3
    D’Agostino amps are stunning, curious how they compare to the older krell stuff. I would love to hear the old KSA series.
  • stangman67
    edited January 26
    My dad had krell stuff when I was growing up. It was all dual purpose HT/Stereo, HTS 5 channel amp, thing was an absolute unit! Krell without Dan is just not the same.

Last year, I finally got him to ditch the HT side of his stereo and move into a pure 2 channel setup

• newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 762
    Are the different color amp stands intentional, so they can tell the difference between left and right?
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,823
    Ran out of funds for matching ones and had to use what was already laying around!

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM