Lone Star Audio Fest 2019

Comments

• treitz3treitz3 Posts: 13,117
    I would love to bring the entire system down (my REAL goods) but I swore 4 years ago that 2 years ago, my system would never be featured again at an audio event beyond the event held 2 years ago. Plus, I like the event and having OTHER people/manufacturers bring their rigs. My system has been featured 5 or 6 times and that was enough for me. Those that want to hear it can come to my house now. I'm done.

Sold both trailers, so it's not even an option anymore if I wanted it to be.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

~ When the law ends, tyranny begins ~
  • GlennDogGlennDog Posts: 2,047
    lightman1 wrote: »

Nope. That was Chimay Grand Reserve.
    Trappist ale...
    Tasty![/quote]
    kharp1 wrote: »

Oh man, that's some good stuff!

Fun fact; Costco carries CHIMAY on occasion. Keep your eyes pealed!

THANKS FOR THE PIX, GUYS!
    Power Rogue M180 monos & Adcom GFA 5802
    PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Rears Salk SuperCharged Surrounds
    Source PSA PWT into NSD Supremo
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Center Salk HT2C
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Wires WW & MIT
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 31,642
    marvda1 wrote: »
    DSkip wrote: »
    I'll probably type up more details later, but I wanted to toss those pics in here while I had a chance.
    LSAF is insanely fun! It was great getting to meet some more polkies and hear a ton of gear. Thank you to all the more seasoned guys for taking me in and showing me the ropes. Also for the generous amounts of booze provided! Getting to hang out with everyone and chatting was the real fun of the day for sure. It was also really cool getting to have some more extended conversations with Gunny from Sonner and Josh from JWM Acoustics.

I will certainly be going again, and I'll probably make a stronger effort to get a room for at least one night. Quite a few rooms stood out to me, and the whole experience made me appreciate my system as well. Always room for improvement, but I'm pretty happy with what I've built with my current investment.

My personal favorites where Skip's main room (Norma and Rosso) and the JWM Acoustics room. I actually told Josh if I was there looking to buy, I would have a really hard time deciding between those two systems. Obviously that's before any price was factored in, purely based on the sound I heard at the show.

Awesome time, and thanks to everyone involved!

Josh is a master at the show. He always has good sound and is usually the benchmark for me as far as competition goes. I didn’t get to spend much of any time in his room this year and I’m disappointed.

I take your statement as a great compliment given his dac was the same cost as all of my front end added together.

As for the show, I made it around to almost every room and did my best to be a social butterfly. I was up until 4:00 am every night and had a blast. I just got home though and my body is telling me what a fool I was. Saturday night Danny Richie and I got into some pretty involved conversations and A/Bed some gear. I also had an attendee want to A/B USB cables that night so it was a lot of switching gear around.

I want to give massive props to Voltz again. The man is a trooper and will go out of his way to do anything for anyone. If not for him I might still be at the hotel boxing things up. Gunny from Sonner was also a great help.

Ryan helped me big time with some networking issues I was having and without that my show would’ve been much more difficult. Thanks brother!

Cheers to all you guys. I didn’t get to see any of you as much as I would have liked but it’s still great seeing all your ugly mugs.

skip, i beg to differ, i think josh should follow your model more. josh does have a formula, expensive equipment (awe factor), lots of bass ( awe factor), loud party volume (awe factor,(awe factor) and sprinkle in some sparkle. all this on first listen or to a novice in audio will really impress but where's the spacial cues that give you a sense of sound stage depth, height, or width? where are the nuances and textures of instruments and voices?
    great studio speakers.

I dunno Marv, Josh and Skip have 2 different approaches. Both are masters are their own. What Josh has in his room/setup....is a boogie factor that seems to be missing from others, hence the appeal. Your not sitting there nitpicking things, just enjoying the music.

Skip has more of an audiophile listening environment. Your pulled in, to listen for those certain things we all talk about. He does really well at creating that listening environment too.

2 different approaches, both very good at what they do. Just my .02 there.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
    treitz3 wrote: »
    . Those that want to hear it can come to my house now. I'm done.
    Tom

Hmmm....somehow my invite got lost in the mail ? :D
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
    I've been curious about Tekton, so I was to see some there. Not my favorite, but when you consider the $1600 price point... well then they are more interesting. Certainly worth considering if you have space and tighter budget.

The only speaker that has impressed me from Tekton is the double impacts. Their lower lines....leave much to be desired. Spectral is worth a look and listen in roughly the same price category. I never heard a speaker literally mop the floor against another as badly.

Looks like you gents had some fun. I take it Ron, Russ, Tom....stayed out of trouble ? If so...that's a cryin' shame.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 16,904
    tonyb wrote: »
    Looks like you gents had some fun. I take it Ron, Russ, Tom....stayed out of trouble ?

I bet they just aint incriminating themselves........ pending litigation and all.....

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,511
    tonyb wrote: »
    Looks like you gents had some fun. I take it Ron, Russ, Tom....stayed out of trouble ?

I bet they just aint incriminating themselves........ pending litigation and all.....

They are at the very center of a collusion investigation....

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • voltzvoltz Posts: 5,288
    edited May 9
    I like Josh's room, I like josh! I love what he does and he so cool! but my time in his room was very loud and was distort a bit and I lean to what Marvin felt! his wood work is special like no other..his speakers are different to Skip which me & Marvin prefer..that is just me & Marvin's thoughts..

Tom lived in Josh's room for a reason..he was on cloud 9 in there and he said he related to Josh when talking about audio like no other!

Tom has very special ears.. I have come to trust his ears as I have Marvin & Skips!
    Example....tom came out a a room and talked about single note bass...thne Marvin came out the same room and said the exact same thing LOL.

You see how some can hear the same but feel a little different about certain rooms?

everything matter in audio..but nothing more then your own ears!!!

2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 12,180
    So, LSAF is both vendors, and enthusiasts with their own systems? I will have to give it a visit next year.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,682
    and diy
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800,Kinki Studio EX-M1
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: L.K.S MH-DA004, North Star Design USB dac32, Cayin Venus cd-100i,
    Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic 2, Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Oval, Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 3,393
    And drinkers
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII Upgraded by Rich Brkich Pre
    Butler Audio TBD 2250 Amp
    PS Audio DirectStream DAC and MemoryPlayer Transport
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    and smokers, oh my!
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.

• BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 12,180
    And, I assume, h e l l raisers.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 3,393
    BlueFox wrote: »
    And, I assume, h e l l raisers.

Starting to sound like a ZZ Top song...
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII Upgraded by Rich Brkich Pre
    Butler Audio TBD 2250 Amp
    PS Audio DirectStream DAC and MemoryPlayer Transport
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    Was Doug there this year ? Nice man, I could chat with Doug all day. Rooster sit up in his nest overlooking everyone again ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
    Not this year. If memory serves, he stated he will be there next year. Hopefully we will see halo there as well.

Tom

• ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,248
    Fantastic amplifier being used in this room! How'd it sound?

f12w8exw9aqx.jpg
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
  • ZLTFULZLTFUL Posts: 5,117
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Fantastic amplifier being used in this room! How'd it sound?

f12w8exw9aqx.jpg

I have heard these speakers 3 years in a row now and all 3 years have been different amps.
    Long story short, they have sounded amazing all 3 years.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    Mike Lundy makes all his speaker based on Danny Richie's design (GR Research) and his wood working is stellar!! serious talent there!

A really great person to get to know. he on Audio circle as is Danny...I talk to Danny for the 1st time and had a blast chatting with him this year at LSAF!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• WagnerRCWagnerRC Posts: 1,965
    nice review. congrats Skip
    Eric who did the review is a great person to talk about audio with, he is smart and knows his stuff and does a lot of shows and reviews and has heard a lot of gear.

• GlennDogGlennDog Posts: 2,047
    Another glowing review . . . Congrats, Skip!
    Power Rogue M180 monos & Adcom GFA 5802
    PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Rears Salk SuperCharged Surrounds
    Source PSA PWT into NSD Supremo
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Center Salk HT2C
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Wires WW & MIT
    edited May 20
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Another glowing review . . . Congrats, Skip!

you make your own bed and then you have to sleep in it! WTG SKIP!!!!

Yes , I am very bias...trust my opinion our not! it is all I can offer you!

Joshua's system is now installed in the new owner's home...

64512212_2404599686441492_7650548287140790272_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_eui2=AeEkJSyOtdSULrKsSCwkQqXu18Nvg80tXFvCr-ZgfxvmDGMSYKRlGEFS1cFdSgBMH1TGaIQwtPtUbOdKtBpkdIr1juenrYjP9soeQ-QcwYW-4w&_nc_oc=AQl-tUSny6JdMGSa-BpbmFJAbLQ1rO_VPvhRbsofuRmGsNdLS5LAtwsLSLiLLdBsDMQ&_nc_ht=scontent.frkh1-1.fna&oh=c403f6d752656f1e32f492c016eb9e22&oe=5DBF73AE

Tom

• txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 10,628
    That custom center he built is beautiful

Nearly 500lbs
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
    Tell me about it. I still have a scar from helping him disassemble it! Even just one shelf is heavy as hell. The guy is a master at wood. (get your mind out of the gutter, perverts)

Tom

• EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 16,904
    edited June 21
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Tell me about it. I still have a scar from helping him disassemble it! Even just one shelf is heavy as hell. The guy is a master at wood. (get your mind out of the gutter, perverts)

Tom

And you were handling it eh :wink:

I love seeing his woodworking pictures on FB!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
    Agreed. He has somehow mastered the art of making wood look like the grain is literally 3" thick and 3D, with colored epoxy to boot! His paddle boards are flat out awesome. He definitely has talent!

Tom