Farewell to OPPO Electronics

Options

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Blu Ray or UHD does look better and sound better than streamed content from Amazon, Netflix, etc. Less compression involved.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,104
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Rick88 wrote: »
    mantis wrote: »
    This sucks, I'm getting very tired of watch company after company store after Store close. Toy R Us is also going out of business. The world as we use to know it is going away

Yep, likely won't be long before Sears and K-Mart are gone as well.

Just an FYI, Sears Canada turned into a pumpkin back in January....gone.

The sled dog strike did them in eh?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    Options
    Looks like Crutchfield has permanently removed the 205 from its site.
    Order it from Oppo directly while you can.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • dolbyd
    Options
    Just ordered a 203.

205 is sold out. They have 1 more shipment coming from China. Keep your eyes open for them if you have to have it.
    June is the estimated All gone time frame.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    Options
    I grill all year long as well you bunch of fair weather grill sissys
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,053
    edited April 2018
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I grill all year long as well you bunch of fair weather grill sissys

Oh, yeah -- I almost forgot what this thread was about! Thanks for bringin' it back around!

;)

From our very first ever grilling event at the new house in NH -- July 2012

4k6hja2ddcbs.png

Place wasn't even quite finished yet.

• gumbay13
    gumbay13 Posts: 360
    Options
    Did not want to get caught up in the frenzy but have been very impressed with the 103D thus far and could not resist.
    Just ordered the 203.
    In before the scalpers get them all!!!
    AMP/Pre Pro: Outlaw 7000x, Marantz AV7703
    Speakers: Fronts:LSiM 705s/ Center: LSiM 706c / Surrounds: LSim 703s
    SUB: Rythmik LV12R x2
    Source:OPPO UDP-203
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    Look at how Sony has flooded the market with the UBP-X800 4K Blu-ray player for $150....

Dang, I over paid... By quite a bit!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    Maybe OPPO finally realized that universal players really are a compromise.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,696
    Options
    TROLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

I find their compromised UDP-205 to be superior to most others stand alone units.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • gumbay13
    gumbay13 Posts: 360
    Options
    ^^^
    And the UDP-205s are already sold out!

I wonder how long it will take before the 203s sell out.

Not shabby for a "compromised" product.
    AMP/Pre Pro: Outlaw 7000x, Marantz AV7703
    Speakers: Fronts:LSiM 705s/ Center: LSiM 706c / Surrounds: LSim 703s
    SUB: Rythmik LV12R x2
    Source:OPPO UDP-203
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Were I the cynical type (me?! cynical!? ;) ), I would say this is an extreme example of the modern marketing strategy that artificially creates extreme demand for a product by limiting supply. Maybe the parent company threw the whole enterprise under the bus to move a bunch of boxes before the close of the next quarter.

But, of course, I am not that cynical.

ahem.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options

I find their compromised UDP-205 to be superior to most others stand alone units.

You prefer it over most other stand alone units for music?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Options
    Why am I not surprised?..This seems to be the business standard for quite a few companies over the last few years...as for keeping the firmware up to date..good luck with that one...Why would they?..
  • nooshinjohn
    Options

You prefer it over most other stand alone units for music?
    I have not used it for music yet, as everything I listen to is already on hard drives. When I get a chance, I will compare it to the Krell Evo and go from there.

• Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    Msabot1 wrote: »
    Why am I not surprised?..This seems to be the business standard for quite a few companies over the last few years...as for keeping the firmware up to date..good luck with that one...Why would they?..

So far Oppo has stood 100% behind their products.

Besides, Oppo as a company is not going under. They are just shutting down this part of their business.

IF they ever wanted to get back into this industry, it would be pretty stupid to burn your very loyal customer base by cutting off support.

I’m willing to give Oppo the benefit of the doubt and assume that they will continue to do the right thing.

Let’s be honest, even if they barely keep up with any updates, it’s not like that’s ANY different than most of the other manufacturers right now...
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,762
    Options
    I'm surprised they are hanging it all up and not focusing on the possibility of a streaming dac or some type of higher end wifi device. Another option would be a HD, 4K or even maybe an 8K video streamer, storage setup....given their pedigree.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    ih5pppqw7gqu.png

This is a little strange. So they are basically saying even if we get thousands of backorders they will not bother asking their manufacturer to make another run.

Seems like some easy profit.
  • 55LS70
    55LS70 Posts: 184
    Options
    I'm shocked to see this too. I recently acquired a UDP-203 and absolutely love it. It's one of the best built pieces of equipment I have. It's a shame to see a product like this meet it's demise. I'm not ready to even think about going to streaming. Right now, I'm considering obtaining a pair of SET monos.
    Decware CSP3 Preamp, RCA 6DJ8, 2 X Rocket 6N1P-EV's, Cary SLA70B Signature V2 Amplifier: 2 X Mullard GZ32's, 2 X RCA/GE 5691's, 4 X Tung-Sol 6550's

Cambridge Audio 640C V2 CD Player & Dacmagic DAC

Rega Planar 3: Deep Groove Subplatter, P3 Motor
    upgrade, Dynavector 10x5, JA Michell counterwieght, Cardas tonearm wiring and Mapleshade stand

Parks Audio Budgie Hybrid Phonostage with BEL 6922 tubes, Polk Audio LS70's

H.H. Scott 330D AM/FM Tuner with H.H. Scott 335 Multiplex adaptor.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    Options
    ih5pppqw7gqu.png

begs to question how well they will support in the end.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    That has to be the nicest way to tell someone to go pound sand. lol

Guys, it's a universal player, no need to get your boxers all wound up into a G-string. Other players will come along. I see used prices skyrocketing, and then they'll fall like a rock after a few years. Think Squeezebox, same thing.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dolbyd
    Options
    ih5pppqw7gqu.png

They told my friend on the phone yesterday they have done 4 months business in three days.

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    Wonder how many were bought for personal use? No doubt we will be seeing new 203's & 205's on eBay for stupid prices very soon.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Wonder how many were bought for personal use? No doubt we will be seeing new 203's & 205's on eBay for stupid prices very soon.

yup -- not just eBAY; at myriad outlets, I am sure.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I have had the Oppo 83, 93, 103, and now the 203. I have only used them for video, and loved each one. Others love the ‘5’ versions for the audio and video.

This is from an Oppo thread on AudioShark in reply to someone saying they were underpriced.

“I agree, they could charge more for the quality construction and features.

But they are priced for love @ all levels/classes. And that's why the diy people they love to play with them, modify them to be the best, with top quality parts and power supply and best audio path.

The 205 is incredible for only $1,300 ... No wonder the Oppo universal players rank among the best in Stereophile Recommended Components each and every year. ...Class A and A+ for performance/romance/value ratio. Anyone can afford them, love of movies and music @ best for sharing among the entire galaxy...young and old and everyone between.

You play an Oppo player @ home you are a player in the world of audiophiles and videophiles, without borders, without walls, ...you are the elite of the elite in physics, in science and in spirit.
    It's hi-tek for the mind and soul. No emotions are restricted, anyone everyone can experience and share.
    There are no limits, no clashes, no races, ...only universel love.

They are used on the entire planet, Oppo is a global love affair with movies and music in all formats.
    There are no other companies like it, none.

All of this makes it harder to see them depart.
    It's like when your sons and daughters are old enough to form their own families away from home; you miss them more from their absence than their presence. You realize more the foundation of solid families.”

http://www.audioshark.org/oppo-digital-70/farewell-oppo-usa-14012.html
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Oppo is considering whether to do a final production run on the 205 and has a sign up list...

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/lastbatch.aspx

Looks like the 203 is still available as of now.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I just signed up but maybe it's for naught. :s
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    edited April 2018
    Options
    These are affordable

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/usa/en/products/cx/cxuhd

Hell I paid more for the old one.

Has Darbee, at 4k that should make your eyes bleed