• Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    These are affordable

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/usa/en/products/cx/cxuhd

Hell I paid more for the old one.

Has Darbee, at 4k that should make your eyes bleed

IIRC, it’s basically a stripped down Oppo unit.

For more money.

It looks nice, but you lose a lot of the flexibility of even the 203. It counts on you having the necessary DACs in your receiver to decode any audio.

If you have a “legacy” receiver, it’s not going to work. Or, want to run it like a preamp like a 203 can, forget about it.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Oppo is considering whether to do a final production run on the 205 and has a sign up list...

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/lastbatch.aspx

Looks like the 203 is still available as of now.

Put my name in the hat thanks for sharing
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    @Upstatemax it's $699 I paid $609 for my Oppo 103D. I got my Cambridge SUX for more than either of them.

I don't know about the SUXHD but my Oppo doesn't do anything that the SUX won't do anything that I know of except the apps.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @Upstatemax it's $699 I paid $609 for my Oppo 103D. I got my Cambridge SUX for more than either of them.

I don't know about the SUXHD but my Oppo doesn't do anything that the SUX won't do anything that I know of except the apps.

The Cambridge CXU and CXUHD, that you linked to, are very different players.

The CXUHD has zero DACs in it, so no internal decoding. It’s an audio pass through only, no analog outs...

And it’s $150 more than an Oppo UDP-203 that’s far more versatile.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    @Upstatemax gotcha, no wonder it's so "affordable". Maybe Cambridge saw the writing on the wall. I had no idea how much they dumbed down the CXU.
  • Mr_Hz
    Mr_Hz Posts: 176
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I've been slow (OK, non existent) to adopt to 4K... still somehow loving my 1080P on my 55" Panasonic Plasma using a modded Oppo 105D... and a 'lesser' 103D for my 42" Panny Plasma. I'm a 'physical media' guy as far as video goes, so have a large inventory of DVD and Blu-Ray discs. And while my muzak inventory is CD based, I've ripped everything to hard drive. A small % of my music is hi-rez FLAC files.

I am saddened that Oppo is getting out of the game (truly superior products from my experience - at a price!), but I'm glad to have the 103D and 105D that perform well. I'm still waiting out the 4K market, for the next 'big leap' or diminished prices (both actually!) before jumping in... being satisfied with my 1080p set up. While the 205 offers superior sound, so does the 105D! When I'm ready for a 4K player... Sony or brand X will have to do.
    Post edited by Mr_Hz on
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    CRS+'s (4.1 TL's) - Office
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,053
    Options
    The funny thing is that (as I remember it) Oppo started out marketing high-quality, high-value products, built a reputation, then introduced considerably more sophisticated products at much higher price points.

(at least that's the way I remember things)
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Their first DVD player sold for around $200 from what I remember paying for one. They made their name for selling DVD players that upscaled 480i DVD resolution video almost flawlessly to the then new 1080P resolution displays that had mainly been built to show over the air high definition TV programming from PBS stations. The video performance exceeded Sony and Denon products at the time that sold for above the $1K mark. They took advantage of a big gap in the market at the time, and they will be leaving a bit of one as they phase out. I think Sony and Panasonic have already filled that market in the video area this year with their 4K players with built in streaming. That's a lot of technology for a tiny subsidiary company to keep up with.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Their first DVD player sold for around $200 from what I remember paying for one. They made their name for selling DVD players that upscaled 480i DVD resolution video almost flawlessly to the then new 1080P resolution displays that had mainly been built to show over the air high definition TV programming from PBS stations. The video performance exceeded Sony and Denon products at the time that sold for above the $1K mark. They took advantage of a big gap in the market at the time, and they will be leaving a bit of one as they phase out. I think Sony and Panasonic have already filled that market in the video area this year with their 4K players with built in streaming. That's a lot of technology for a tiny subsidiary company to keep up with.

That sounds about right :p -- although I do remember that their early (and cheap) players caused a stir on the "audiophile" side of the street, too.

At least I think I remember that.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

That sounds about right :p -- although I do remember that their early (and cheap) players caused a stir on the "audiophile" side of the street, too.

At least I think I remember that.

God knows why, they sounded pretty bad.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

God knows why, they sounded pretty bad.

Well, it's entirely possible that I was misinformed. Like Rick.

https://youtu.be/0gC29ArkGG0

:#
  • F1nut
    Options
    Oh no, you are right. There's a certain element in this hobby that foolishly believes in unicorns.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    Options
    Oppo gets a Funeral

https://youtu.be/QbUAE-mI6Lw
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    9q67on0bgzak.gif

Apparently she got the news that Oppo is finished....LOL
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Oh no, you are right. There's a certain element in this hobby that foolishly believes in unicorns.

I like unicorns!
  • F1nut
    Options
    Looks like OPPO is making another batch of 205's.

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    Options
    Do some of these (Oppo's) tactics seem a little -- contrived?
  • afterburnt
    Options

Elvis is not dead
  • mhardy6647
    Options

Elvis is not dead

Paul is, though. :|

http://digilander.libero.it/jamespaul/fc1.html

• mhardy6647
    Options
    And Elvis? Heck, not only is he not dead, he's married to that audiophile fave Canidian (Canadienne?) quasi-jazz singer/pianist diva lady!

lz2ogjbem4fj.png
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    Options
    Looks like OPPO is making another batch of 205's.

I put my name in the hat
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    I signed up for one, Don't know if I will have the coin to buy one though. My next major purchase is a big boy amp.

As for quality players lasting. I have a Sony DVP3100ES from 2004 era. It shouldered all of my DVD playing for years till I went to Blu-Ray in 2012. I still use it almost daily for my unwind CD after work. It even survived my kids when they were young. If Oppo are built this well they will last a very long time.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    mrloren wrote: »
    As for quality players lasting. I have a Sony DVP3100ES from 2004 era. It shouldered all of my DVD playing for years till I went to Blu-Ray in 2012. I still use it almost daily for my unwind CD after work. It even survived my kids when they were young. If Oppo are built this well they will last a very long time.

The Sony DVP3100ES is what got me back into stereo. During the 90s I drifted away from music, and got into HT around 1998 with my first DVD player. I then started upgrading and ended up with four LSi15s, LSiC, a Sony AVR, and the 3100. One night I put a CD into it, and thought, "This sounds pretty good.".

After that I dusted off my Denon amp, Sony CDP, and SDA-2 in the living room, and got back into two channel. Now I hardly use my HT. LOL.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Jose, did you get it from me? I think that was part of the great gear purge of 2016.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 478
    edited April 2018
    Options
    As I was recently searching for streaming boxes, Auralic, Aurender, Naim, little did I know I could use a sleeper of a box, the Oppo BDP-103. It was relegated to headless CD/SACD duties, no TV or network.. then I find they have a control app!! And they also have the Tidal app!

I stream primarily using a MacMini USB to the Mc’s DAC from iTunes. The Mac is also headless but I use the Remote app to control iTunes with the USB output set to 32bit/384khz. Tidal desktop app for Mac was just a PITA, no remote with only VNC control a bit klugey.

Now my options are open to using local devices without buying new gear. The only downside is that the Oppo Tidal app can only do HiFi no Master/MQA which is fine since my Mc’s DAC can only do PCM and DSD over USB. The Oppo is connected to both RCA (SACD’s only output) and digital Coax. Now I can stream direct from the Oppo instead of iPad or iPhone over Airplay.

Seems like I was living under a rock and this thread woke me up. Oppo control app with a similar interface to the Tidal iOS app.

mt7pxk2sm1o5.png

• Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100 | 150” Elite Screen Acoustic Pro UHD
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte | Roku TV
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | Fire TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • BlueFox
    Options
    You can also use the Oppo 103 to rip SACDs. Darqknight has a thread here on how to set it up for ripping.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,087
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    WOW
    Oppo 205's are now being listed on eBay for RIDICULES amounts

They're crack smokers ...
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05