Fond old memories anybody got some?

Options

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Don't forget burning the plastic army men that were sold in 25 packs US vs the tan German soldiers

Or making parachutes with washers. Kite string, and celaphane
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Ahh yes, the old Army guys. I almost felt bad for the dudes, they took a constant beatin'. So bad that once I thought they needed some R&R and let 10 or so gang bang my sisters Barbie.

.....and here we go again.

Tooony....wtf did you do now ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    Swimmin' holes and tire swings, shag carpet, old push reel lawn mowers. A 3 on the tree, betting each other who can climb the highest in a tree. Home made go-carts, Old variety shows like Carol Burnett, Dean Martin, Jackie Gleason, Ed Sullivan, Lawrence Welk, Red Skelton.....when shows could make you laugh from talent rather than simply reciting cuss words. When the news channels actually reported the news, not who wore what to the Grammies.

I think television reflects the times. Back then we had tons of dignity and respect and it showed in the programming. Today....well, you decide that.

Archie Bunker used to say, "those were the days". I might agree even though we had our own sets of problems back then.

Remember when women could cook ? Home made everything from pies to bread ? Now you pay out the nose for such luxury items. Thanks to Voltz for reminding me of that. Sunday morning gravy on the stove ? Dippin' bread in it....then getting yelled at for eating all the bread.

Drag racing on the streets with your friends, and spending the weekends in the garage to figure out how you could tweak more out of it. Pretty much anything with a motor was a magnet to a boy. Girls too, but never found that motor that made them tick. Late nights, early mornings, the breakfast of champions and we'd do it all over again like groundhog day. Hanging out at the soda shop, talking sheet about everyone and trying to figure out the next conquest.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Ahh yes, the old Army guys. I almost felt bad for the dudes, they took a constant beatin'. So bad that once I thought they needed some R&R and let 10 or so gang bang my sisters Barbie.

.....and here we go again.

Tooony....wtf did you do now ?

My neighbor and I used to build dirt fortifications and position the army men behind them. Then light fire crackers and throw them at their positions to simulate incoming shells.

However, I think I got hurt more than them when some of the Black Cat fuses did a fast burn on me.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    Speaking of Black Cats, when you were kids did you guys go walking around the morning after July 4th and collect spent munitions? It was like a ritual where I lived, hoping we'd find a few that hadn't gone off.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • tonyb
    edited March 2016
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Speaking of Black Cats, when you were kids did you guys go walking around the morning after July 4th and collect spent munitions? It was like a ritual where I lived, hoping we'd find a few that hadn't gone off.

Oh heck yeah, that was the best part.

BTW....The ladyfingers worked best on the Army dudes, looked like a stick of dynamite in their hands.

Used to Vaseline the car door handles on the older kids cars too, that was fun. If we really didn't like them the windshield wipers got the treatment too....or a dead fish under the seat.

Whats with Italians and dead fish anyway...geesh.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »

Yes one time we collect all the duds and unrolled them to fill a burnt out Roman Candle. We stuffed all of the fuses in it too. When we were done we searched to find a fuse, finally found one and it was less than an inch. Of course one of the guys was crazy enough to light it with like a quarter inch fuse. Had time to turn his back and that was it. We thought he was dead he couldn't hear for a week.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    I remember riding my bike everywhere and never going into the house until Mom would flash the front porch light on & off, then you were on a timer to get inside. If she had to step outside to get your attention will you know...
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Polkaguy58
    Polkaguy58 Posts: 352
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Bicycling came late to me, as the type of artificial legs that I had in the 60's didn't allow enough range of motion to complete a full pedal revolution.
    My brother and and the kids in the neighborhood would all take off on their bikes for parts unknown and I had to wait behind and bide my time until they returned.
    I could coast on a two wheeler and propell it with my feet with a duck walk, or push it uphill a couple of blocks and coast back home, but that was fun only on the downhill return trip and a solitary practice when I did so.
    One summer the Shriner's sent me to a new prosthetic maker and he made me a pair of legs, without the heavy metal knee braces, which gave me much more freedom of movement.
    I was 12 years old at the time and the first thing that shot through my mind, was to get home and try my hand (or legs for that matter) at bike riding.
    I raised the seat on my metallic green Columbia Playbike and my friend and neighbor Jackie held on to the sissy bar and pushed me until I finally got that first revolution..........then another and another !
    I was off like a shot, but could hear Jackie cheering me on further and further behind me.
    Before I knew it, I was up at the end of our street.
    I turned around and rode screaming like hell downhill, enjoying the new thrill of pedal enhanced speed !
    I approached the sharp left turn to our driveway, only to find out that I hadn't quite figured out the art of placing the pedals to the 9 and 3 o:clock braking position and slammed right into one of the old black metal hitching posts with the ring through it that flanked either side of our drive.
    As much as it hurt, I still had a mile wide grin on my face and when I finally got back to my feet, jumped right back on my bike (after pulling the bent chain guard back into place) and spent the next 40 years pedaling anywhere and everywhere.......
    I never got my licence until I hit 43 years of age, just my bike, my feet or the bus.
    Five years ago, my left knee joint became so worn out, that I had to give up my biking.
    There's not enough bone below my knees to do a replacement, so my new two wheeled love became motorcycling.
    The closest thing to flying without leaving the ground !
    Post edited by Polkaguy58 on
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    I remember the time I won a Motorhead digital download!
    Oh the memories! :)
  • steveinaz
    Options
    I remember my Grandpa taking us to a carnival that had a bingo tent. I won a flashlight, and was very excited about it---I think Grandpa spent about $20 so I could win that damn flashlight...LOL
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • tonyb
    Options
    Few more years Steve and that Bingo tent will be your 2nd home. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • steveinaz
    Options
    Few more years Steve and that Bingo tent will be your 2nd home. lol

I'm more of a "bass boat" kind of retiree....oh yeah baby.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Having trouble visualizing a Bass boat out in the desert of Arizona. lol Besides, throw a rifle to Calamity Jane and she can probably peck off a few from shore. :)

I know Arizona has some lakes, can't imagine with the heat the fishin' would be that good though.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    I guess my earliest fondest memory is it was dark, then all of a sudden it was light and I was covered in something sticky. It's been all a blur after that.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • tonyb
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    I guess my earliest fondest memory is it was dark, then all of a sudden it was light and I was covered in something sticky. It's been all a blur after that.

Lets not bring up your Las Vegas days pal. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    Too funny
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • oldmodman
    oldmodman Posts: 740
    Options
    I grew up in West Los Angeles right at the intersection of the 405 & 120 freeways.
    They started building them when I was 6 and didn't finish until I was 14.
    My friend's and I spent every waking moment playing on the Freeway!
    Building forts, rock fights, rolling gigantic concrete pipes down the sand hills with us in them.
    Plus this was way back in the day before people started to worry about adult men and little kids. So, I made friends with every heavy equipment driver that was friendly. I got to drive bulldozer, road graders, water trucks, you name it. Never got in any trouble for doing it either. One guy even showed me how to hot wire the Caterpillars.
    Which I would do early on a Sunday morning every chance I got.
    Another fun thing to do in the heat of summer was to climb inside the water truck tank when it was being filled up at the local fire hydrant. I would open the hatch on top and drop down to the bottom of the tank. Then swim around inside as it was being filled then float out the hatch at the top and lock it closed. Then wait for the next truck to show up. Looking back on it from today's perspective I am amazed that every driver let us kids dive right in there. No worry about anyone getting hurt or liability.
    I really do miss the old days.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Hey Tony, ever eat any Gooseberry pie? or Jam? my grandmother use to make stuff out of everything, my Dad said in the winter when she ran out fruit she would make a Vinegar Cobbler that half of them like the others didn't like :)

Though in many state you can not grow Gooseberry's anymore as the can carry a Pine disease like White pine rust,
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • steveinaz
    Options
    SAFETY 3rd I always say. Safety sucks the fun out of everything. Now go skin those knees.
  • tonyb
    Options
    voltz wrote: »
    Hey Tony, ever eat any Gooseberry pie? or Jam? my grandmother use to make stuff out of everything, my Dad said in the winter when she ran out fruit she would make a Vinegar Cobbler that half of them like the others didn't like :)

Though in many state you can not grow Gooseberry's anymore as the can carry a Pine disease like White pine rust,

Not a big fan of Gooseberry, or Rhubarb.....pretty much every other pie or cobbler is on the endangered species list in my house.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    When I'm on my death bed thinking back on fond memories one of them will be this Forum everyone here is great, have had some pretty good times here and have met some pretty cool people.

Lightning up bugs with a can of Lysol and a lighter is another fond memory specially the mosquitoes at the lake cabin still do it to this day.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    edited March 2016
    Options
    oldmodman wrote: »
    I grew up in West Los Angeles right at the intersection of the 405 & 120 freeways.
    They started building them when I was 6 and didn't finish until I was 14.
    My friend's and I spent every waking moment playing on the Freeway!
    Building forts, rock fights, rolling gigantic concrete pipes down the sand hills with us in them...

hmm... maybe that's why it took 'em eight years? Just spitballin' here...

;- )
    voltz wrote: »

Not a big fan of Gooseberry, or Rhubarb.....pretty much every other pie or cobbler is on the endangered species list in my house.
    Rhubarb is OK -- the only trick is to add enough sugar, strawberries, or anything else to kill the taste of it in whatever you use it in. Up here in Northern New England, ya gotta eat what'll grow... and rhubarb'll grow.

The 'sharp' taste of rhubarb is due to oxalic acid, a chelator that's fairly toxic, actually... thus one has to resist the temptation to eat the plant's leaves or (if memory serves) eat the stems, either, too late in the season. Other than that, it's splendid.

We have a rhubarb patch, and I will say in all seriousness I enjoy a recipe the Mrs. H makes with it -- of course, the fact it gets served with a blob of ice cream added helps immeasurably.
  • tonyb
    Options
    My theory is, if you have to add something to kill the taste of something, why put it in there to begin with ?

Only exception is beets....you just can't eat Beets on there own.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    My Grandmother made the best Rhubarb pie, a big ol slice with vanilla Ice cream man I sure miss that, she also made some pretty darned good crab apple jelly.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    My theory is, if you have to add something to kill the taste of something, why put it in there to begin with ?

Only exception is beets....you just can't eat Beets on there own.

I was - actually - being (atypically) facetious. I do actually like Rhubarb... but (in all seriousness) it does take a lot of sugar to offset the tartness of the oxalate.

Beets taste -- to me -- like sweet dirt. I seriously do not care for beets in any way, shape or form in which I have encountered them, to date.

Am I suitably off topic now? Sorry....

:- (
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Leave it up to Doctor Mark to over analyze a pie recipe. Bio-chemist! Sheeze!
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    hey, we're like border collies -- it's in our jeans... umm, I mean, genes...

Slide25.JPG
  • tonyb
    Options
    Which brings us to the ultimate universe shattering question....

If all cables sound the same, do pies all taste the same too ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    I like Rhubarb and Beets. Mom used to make a killer Strawberry/Rhubarb Pie. Fresh Beets with some butter and salt, DEElicious
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/