Laserdisc-The godfather of ALL consumer optical disc media

Comments

• SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,494
    My DVL90 is up for sale @honestaquarian PM me if interested.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • SIHAB
    q6v0zse4ddtb.jpg
    fg80zd5ao76q.jpg
    rabe0n4lumhy.jpg
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • StantonZ
    StantonZ Posts: 439
    SIHAB wrote: »
    OK. I found a S-video to RCA adapter in the cable drawer and
    I'm back in business for now. Thanks for asking.
    I'm curious of the brand/model#. Is it a passive or active adapter (I have a passive that I'm not thrilled with).
    Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2); LG OLED77C2 4K TV
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk RC80i (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    Bedroom: Arylic Up2Stream AMPv3 driving Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets
  • StantonZ
    StantonZ Posts: 439
    Well she's in the shop. Suddenly she began blowing fuses, so I brought her to the shop. Turns out one of the more common problems with these is the power board going bad. So I have to get my greasy grabbers on another one. May not be worth it to some, but it's worth it to me.
    Power supply problems are common across all LD players...because they multiple power rails (+/-5v and +/- 12v). I just repaired the power supply board on my CLD-99; it was essentially failed (electrolytic) caps (the large values). I was determined not to give up on mine either!

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2); LG OLED77C2 4K TV
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk RC80i (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    Bedroom: Arylic Up2Stream AMPv3 driving Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets
  • @SIHAB Is this still in your possession?
    If so do you have pics of the remote?
  • SIHAB
    StantonZ wrote: »
    SIHAB wrote: »
    OK. I found a S-video to RCA adapter in the cable drawer and
    I'm back in business for now. Thanks for asking.
    I'm curious of the brand/model#. Is it a passive or active adapter (I have a passive that I'm not thrilled with).

Passive. I'm not bowled over either, but it works.

• SIHAB
    um sure @honestaquarian . I have the manual as well. No box however.
  • SIHAB
    3za573shrr5y.jpg
  • Thanks again @SIHAB Just minutes after messaging you about yours I found one just like mine on eBay and purchased it. When I say just like mine I mean a DVL-91 with the new Pioneer logo. It was built two months after mine was in the year of our lord 2000.
    It doesn't have a remote (I have the remote) It also doesn't have the side panels (I have those too) SO fingers crossed and let's see how this turns out.
  • P.S. I'm surprised @verb didn't buy it ;):D
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Interesting enough like yourself Verb has been gone months at a time. I don't think we seen him here in almost 2yrs. at one point.
  • @StantonZ Once I got another power board and the tech was able to install it, he discovered something else was causing the fuse to blow. The power board was also getting hotter than it should because something was drawing excessive current. He compared the two power boards (the one that was in the player and the one I got on eBay) and discovered what had failed on the old board and repaired it. He then discovered other problems elsewhere in the player including in the transport and drawer mechanism that was causing the excessive current draw on the board. After he found all of the other problems he essentially gave up and said it really wasn't worth it to repair this player based on the extent of what he found and the potential cost.
  • @pitdogg2 I'm flattered and kinda surprised anyone even noticed my absence! :)
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    P.S. I'm surprised @verb didn't buy it ;):D

Lol that is one rabbit hole I choose not to go down!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb wrote: »
    P.S. I'm surprised @verb didn't buy it ;):D

Lol that is one rabbit hole I choose not to go down!

COME ON IN. ALL ARE WELCOME IN THIS RABBIT HOLE JUST LIKE THE SDA RABBIT HOLE!! :D:p
  • @verb If you read what @pitdogg2 said above it looks like you and I may have been missed around here (or maybe I'm just reading too much into what he said?? :p )
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    @verb If you read what @pitdogg2 said above it looks like you and I may have been missed around here (or maybe I'm just reading too much into what he said?? :p )

Lol yeah. Some may have missed us, others, not so much! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • SIHAB
    Always good to hear from use guys. B)
  • yk4wisrapi8n.jpg
    ttaletufs3v5.jpg

Back in the Laserdisc game. I even got my greesy grabbers on a couple of Anamorphic Squeeze titles.
  • Well I put this player (*along with the old one in case he needed parts*) in the shop because the picture was noisy back in March. It's still there so..................
  • SIHAB
    edited October 2023
    You are a preservation society :)

I exercise my LD player every once in a while just because...
    Maybe I should do that now...

4onwgxbzsowe.jpg

Post edited by SIHAB on
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    I have these two sets of laserdiscs from my dad's collection sitting around if anyone wants them. Free to established Polkies that have posted in this thread...before today.
    5lv2rnckwwa6.jpg
    8lrmwonxlf6f.jpg
    My dad bought these discs from a thrift store without owning a player on which to play them. That's just how he rolled.

"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • @jdjohn I'll take the Eagles
  • xjghost
    xjghost Posts: 1,080
    Damn hate I missed that one.
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

Bedroom system: Carver CT-24, Parasound HCA-800II, Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12c's
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    @jdjohn I'll take the Eagles
    PM received ;)
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Got the Eagles. Now if my player ever comes back out of the shop alive, I'll play it ;)
  • Well I got a bit of a surprise this mornting in the form of a phone call from the shop where my Laserdisc 💿 players have been held hostage since March. Using both players as a template he was able to properly figure out what was wrong (it was two totally different issues) and managed to fix BOTH OF THEM!! The one that I originally brought to him last year that he said wasn’t worth fixing, because it had too many problems. Plus the one that I brought to him this year. I brought back the old one in case he needed to use parts from it.
    So now I will have TWO working Laserdisc players once I get time to go and pick them up!!😇👍🏾👌🏾
  • xjghost
    xjghost Posts: 1,080
    Well I got a bit of a surprise this mornting in the form of a phone call from the shop where my Laserdisc 💿 players have been held hostage since March. Using both players as a template he was able to properly figure out what was wrong (it was two totally different issues) and managed to fix BOTH OF THEM!! The one that I originally brought to him last year that he said wasn’t worth fixing, because it had too many problems. Plus the one that I brought to him this year. I brought back the old one in case he needed to use parts from it.
    So now I will have TWO working Laserdisc players once I get time to go and pick them up!!😇👍🏾👌🏾

I need to find a shop here in South Carolina that will work on electronics.
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

Bedroom system: Carver CT-24, Parasound HCA-800II, Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12c's
  • @xjghost Not sure if this would be a viable option, but maybe you can ship it to Electronics Service Center in Germantown, Maryland. That’s where mine are. They do good work and they have a website. You would have to be very patient though.