Anti diffraction pads on SDA's

Options
drumminman
drumminman Posts: 3,396
edited January 2012 in Vintage Speakers
Anyone ever use the wool anti diffraction pads around the tweeters on SDA's? I think Jim Goulding makes 'em, though they're certainly DIY'able.

If so which SDA's

Thanks!
"Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
Post edited by drumminman on

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,094
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Which SDA's?

If you look at the sl2500 and sl3000 tweeters they have foam/wool around the domes as part of the design. Not sure it would work properly on the sl2000. There was some discussion on the board a while back.

IIRC, it didn't really help the 13Khz spike of the sl2000.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • drumminman
    edited January 2012
    Options
    2.3TL's w/ RD-0198's. My understanding is they're not so much to tame response anomalies, but more to improve imaging.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • heiney9
    edited January 2012
    Options
    drumminman wrote: »
    2.3TL's w/ RD-0198's. My understanding is they're not so much to tame response anomalies, but more to improve imaging.

Don't think any improvement is needed, IMO. I have used the RD0194's in the Monitor 5's as well as in my 1C's the imaging is superb.

Give a try and report back with your findings.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Are you having some imaging problems?

H9
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I have used them on other speakers AR and Advents to try but never thought the SDA's or older polks ever really needed the help.
  • drumminman
    edited January 2012
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Are you having some imaging problems?

H9

No, just wondering.

Such a cheap tweak, and other non SDA owners report a positive effect.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,125
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Im the SDA design would use it to a benefit - the enclosure is ultra wide and it basically removes all the initial reflections around the tweeters.

It made a world of a difference on my Super Towers..
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • drumminman
    edited January 2012
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Im the SDA design would use it to a benefit - the enclosure is ultra wide and it basically removes all the initial reflections around the tweeters.

It made a world of a difference on my Super Towers..

That's kinda what I'm thinking - more benefit on speakers with a wide front baffle. I know McMasters-Carr had wool felt - may have to try it and report back.
  • VR3
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Wilson does their entire baffle, even around woofers in that same diffraction be gone material - real thick wool or whatever

I would love to have an entire sheet cut for the front of my speakers but it would look hideous lol
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • heiney9
    edited January 2012
    Options
    On multiple tweeters with the progressive point source (which is specifically to increase dispersion and limit diffraction) would you use it on all the tweeters? The one with the most output? Least output? Or a sheet around the entire area of the tweeters?

Remember we are not dealing with a single tweeter with a single point source (although the progressive point source acts as a single point source).

Just curious what you are thinking?

H9
  • heiney9
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I would love to have an entire sheet cut for the front of my speakers but it would look hideous lol

Who cares what it looks like, it's about the music, right? :biggrin:
  • VR3
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I would put it around every tweeter personally - it really makes a difference...

And man I can deal with the little bit around the tweeter but anything else, bah -

Now if my speakers were built like Wilson and the pad was recessed into the cabinet versus held on by glue or velcro - I may feel differently...
  • drumminman
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Since the tweeters are so close together I was thinking about doing the center cut out to surround them together, with the outside part extending to the MW's.

IIRC the stuff isn't too expensive so I'd probably try doing each tweeter individually too to hear if there's a difference.
  • heiney9
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I would put it around every tweeter personally - it really makes a difference......

So you've used it with success on SDA's and other Polk's? Please elaborate

H9
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited January 2012
    Options
    . . . on multiple tweeters with the progressive point source (which is specifically to increase dispersion and limit diffraction) would you use it on all the tweeters? The one with the most output? Least output? Or a sheet around the entire area of the tweeters?

Remember we are not dealing with a single tweeter with a single point source (although the progressive point source acts as a single point source).

Just curious what you are thinking?

H9

I'm also curious about thoughts on single point source SDA 2B, CRS, etc.
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • heiney9
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I say go for it and do a thorough analysis before and after.

H9
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Anyone ever use the wool anti diffraction pads around the tweeters on SDA's? I think Jim Goulding makes 'em, though they're certainly DIY'able.

If so which SDA's
    Which SDA's?

If you look at the sl2500 and sl3000 tweeters they have foam/wool around the domes as part of the design. Not sure it would work properly on the sl2000. There was some discussion on the board a while back.

IIRC, it didn't really help the 13Khz spike of the sl2000.
    Since the tweeters are so close together I was thinking about doing the center cut out to surround them together, with the outside part extending to the MW's.

IIRC the stuff isn't too expensive so I'd probably try doing each tweeter individually too to hear if there's a difference.

The SL3000 tweeter had a felt ring around the dome, but the RD0198 silk dome replacement did not. I'm thinking the fabric dome tweeters don't need felt surrounds to provide the "help" that the plastic dome tweeters did.

Only Polk's engineering department knows for sure.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • VR3
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I have not used them on the SDA - but the theory behind the diffraction pads on SDAs make sense - particularly taking into account the blocky grill design...

I have tried them on several speakers I do have with positive results... I would give it a shot at a minimum
  • heiney9
    edited January 2012
    Options
    The only reason I asked is because the SDA's give a completely different presentation compared to a more "normal" design. I agree, the only way to find out is to try it. I hope drumminman does a really good analysis before and after or it's really not worth reporting about.

H9
  • drumminman
    edited January 2012
    Options
    The SL3000 tweeter had a felt ring around the dome, but the RD0198 silk dome replacement did not. I'm thinking the fabric dome tweeters don't need felt surrounds to provide the "help" that the plastic dome tweeters did.

Only Polk's engineering department knows for sure.

Interesting. When I got my 2.3TL's they had no felt rings around the tweeters, didn't look as though they had been there and then been removed.

FYI I googled felt and the 100% pure wool felt, which is supposed to be the stuff that works best (no synthetics or blends), is $35/sheet from MC, estimated two sheets needed.

So I sent an email to the maker of diffraction be gone pads to get a price estimate.

Stay tuned for As The Wool Turns. . . . . :loneranger:
  • heiney9
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Interesting. When I got my 2.3TL's they had no felt rings around the tweeters, didn't look as though they had been there and then been removed.[/I] :loneranger:

If they were shipped with sl3000's they had to have the felt ring. If you aren't looking for it, it's very easy to miss since it blended so well.

H9
  • heiney9
    edited January 2012
    Options
    The very first page of this color brochure clearly shows the ring of felt around the dome of the sl3000.

http://s4l.co/polk_audio_brochures/polkaudio3.pdf
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,862
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I tried some variation of anti diffraction pads on my SDA's. Didn't do anything that I could tell.....long gone now. But, don't let that stop you from trying it yourself.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• drumminman
    edited January 2012
    Options
    The very first page of this color brochure clearly shows the ring of felt around the dome of the sl3000.

http://s4l.co/polk_audio_brochures/polkaudio3.pdf

Yeah, I may have missed 'em. I was thinking the rings were much larger. They're boxed up -I'll take a look when I get home.
  • drumminman
    edited January 2012
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I tried some variation of anti diffraction pads on my SDA's. Didn't do anything that I could tell.....long gone now. But, don't let that stop you from trying it yourself.

Did you have the RD-0198's or the SL3000's when you tried 'em?
  • heiney9
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Yeah, I may have missed 'em. I was thinking the rings were much larger. They're boxed up -I'll take a look when I get home.

It is very easy to do because they blend so well. This is one quick and dirty way to tell the sl2500/sl3000 from the RD0's if one is looking to buy some speakers and are unsure which they have. There are obviously other things to look for too, but just one look for the felt/foam ring gives it away.

H9
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited January 2012
    Options
    P5200003.JPGI bought my SDA-1C's off Geoff727 in Seattle and he used a type of felt. I've never heard SDA's without it so I can't give a comparison. I can, however, tell you that these speakers have a gigantic wide and deep soundstage and image beautifully. Pic attached. Notice also the beautiful Paduk caps Geoff fitted to them.
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,862
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Did you have the RD-0198's or the SL3000's when you tried 'em?

The SL3000's.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• geoff727
    geoff727 Posts: 546
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Fongolio wrote: »
    P5200003.JPGI bought my SDA-1C's off Geoff727 in Seattle and he used a type of felt. I've never heard SDA's without it so I can't give a comparison. I can, however, tell you that these speakers have a gigantic wide and deep soundstage and image beautifully. Pic attached. Notice also the beautiful Paduk caps Geoff fitted to them.

I was just about to chime in and saw that picture! Anyway, here's another one. Same speaker, showing a closer view of the anti-diffraction felt. To answer the question of what difference it made.....I don't know, I did about a hundred changes all at the same time, if I remember.

G~
    Polk SDA SRS 2
    Polk RTA 15tl
    Polk Monitor 7C
    Polk Lsi9

Infinity RS-II (modded)
    Infinity RS-IIIa (modded)
    Infinity RS 2.5 x 2

Magnepan 1.6QR (modded)

System: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vevol&1290711373
  • VR3
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Just wanted to comment that tweaks like Diffraction Be Gone even covers the tweeter plate - surrounding the tweeter so that screws and any possible reflections are nullified...