Just another on a very long list of what's wrong with this format.

Options

Comments

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    gimpod wrote: »
    Just found out any link's to other threads that you may have posted prior to the change along with any bookmarks you have are DEAD.

Yea changing the url was a really good idea. Big Fail!

Yep, I posted this. But the new search finds them, except the photos are missing.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,825
    Options
    Most of you guys have made some very good points about this new layout being what an old **** would call a gigantic cluster duck! There just is so much wrong here I don't even know where to begin.

If I wanted to like or dislike a post, earn points and badges or other such bs I would be on facebook and twitter.

Hopefully the powers that be will come to there senses and create a layout that better reflects the quality that Polk Audio is know for instead of this childish cluttered mess we have now.

JMO

That's what I've been saying.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Most of you guys have made some very good points about this new layout being what an old **** would call a gigantic cluster duck! There just is so much wrong here I don't even know where to begin.

If I wanted to like or dislike a post, earn points and badges or other such bs I would be on facebook and twitter.

Hopefully the powers that be will come to there senses and create a layout that better reflects the quality that Polk Audio is know for instead of this childish cluttered mess we have now.

JMO

That's what I've been saying.

I completely agree!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    I'm completely confident when I say that I am now confused but at a much higher level. I'm pretty sure that's a good thing.

The red text is pretty hard on the eyes, btw. You might think about changing that to, as a previous poster mentioned, a dark blue.
    Or mauve.
    Maybe puce ? (I wonder if that will be flagged, it just sounds naughty enough)

Good luck with the tweaking ! :)
    Sal Palooza
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Have to agree, the "likes/dislikes" thing is pretty childish. Points...badges...for what ? Someone just decided to copy the Facebook/Twitter models ? That's a sure fire way to piss people off.

I'll say it again....Polk has an Identity crisis going on. It's obvious from the layout, to the back drop of this forum.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,542
    Options
    And you can only Like OR agree... not both :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,066
    Options
    gce wrote: »
    Ya know if you hover the red fonts it turns a darker red or burgundy. What do Y'all think of that?

Jeepers, it does! It's kind of a nice, rich color.
  • F1nut
    Options
    I've been looking at information about Vanilla forums, different skins, add on's, etc. They have a large selection, most of which are as bad or worse than what we have now, but there are some which are better. They really seem focused on the Facebook and Twitter type of user, not really ideal for the professional image Polk should be conveying. For example, the badges and like/dislike stuff is seriously juvenile and inappropriate.

Anyway, I sent Ken some info to pass on to Bruno since he seems to be ignoring us in general. I also suggested that getting wide screen would be at the top of the want list. Next would be a different skin that is easier to follow and colors that are easier on the eyes.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,938
    Options
    Facebook S,U,C,K,S!!!! Twitter is something I do in the privacy of my bathroom.. :blush:
  • F1nut
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    If they ever consider reactivating the vBulletin version and ponder spending oh $510 to let the fine folks from vBulletin upgrade it to version 5 Connect with mobile features etc. I'd offer my own time on my own free will to be the big admin...and yeah, it'd be top notch if I do say so myself.

Just something to ponder is all Polk, cheap upgrade to a proven platform and freebee administration, doesn't get better than that does it?

Way to step up, thanks!

The move back to vBulletin gets my vote and I know Ken knows his stuff, so he gets my vote as well.

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,938
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    If they ever consider reactivating the vBulletin version and ponder spending oh $510 to let the fine folks from vBulletin upgrade it to version 5 Connect with mobile features etc. I'd offer my own time on my own free will to be the big admin...and yeah, it'd be top notch if I do say so myself.

Just something to ponder is all Polk, cheap upgrade to a proven platform and freebee administration, doesn't get better than that does it?

Way to step up, thanks!

The move back to vBulletin gets my vote and I know Ken knows his stuff, so he gets my vote as well.

This^^^^^ but if that was to happen would we be able to save all the pics we have lost?? I'm sure many could care less as many don't care about mods.. But Ray's threads have taken the biggest hit here, very sad to say the least...

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Yes. Using software designed to do a specific job, and do it well, is a brilliant idea. I wonder why nobody thought of that in the first place. ;)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,080
    Options
    I am using the browser's zoom feature which makes the text box bigger... I am at 125% and it looks ok/better.

Thank you sir. Not perfect, but much better.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • GospelTruth
    Options
    While I haven't done a lot of investigating all the new features, I will say that right off the bat that there are some site design issues that are definitely not best practices when it comes to design.

I think a lot of the "skin" issues could be corrected with HTML stylesheets if this site was designed correctly in utilizing them. Widescreen would be a cinch to fix if that were the case and you would be able to have the center part of the page size appropriately when re-sizing the browser window. How that can't be fixed immediately I don't know.

Breadcrumbs should never be that hard to read on a page. The red color on the semi-opaque white background is hard to read and a definite no-no in design.

The red font is a little bright, I'll give you all that. Another thing that should be easily fixable using HTML stylesheets. I know Polk has the red color in their logo, but sometimes you have to know when NOT to use that color. This is a good example of a time not to use that color. Maroon, black, or even some dark cherry color would be more appropriate.

The column to the right of discussions and the discussion threads is pretty much pointless. There is some account information when you log in, but that should be kept at the top with say a popup when you click on your account name. All the listing for all the discussion counts seems pointless. Putting all that out in the open just takes up space and make things look cluttered. When you aren't signed in, there are actually TWO signin links. Not a good idea.

The whole Twitter/Facebook thing has it's place. Unfortunately, companies are trying to pander to a younger generation that likes the social media component of sites. I don't think this works in all situations. Leave Facebook and Twitter to do the things they do best. Put links to your Facebook site if you want (Polk Facebook Page), but don't make a forum like that. Not in my opinion.

I credit Polk for trying to stay current with technology, but there are some definite things that have been overlooked here. Hopefully these get corrected. Some should already be fixed by now if you ask me as they shouldn't be that hard to correct.

2yrogoevdxd2.jpg
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Options
    I've been looking at information about Vanilla forums, different skins, add on's, etc. They have a large selection, most of which are as bad or worse than what we have now, but there are some which are better. They really seem focused on the Facebook and Twitter type of user, not really ideal for the professional image Polk should be conveying. For example, the badges and like/dislike stuff is seriously juvenile and inappropriate.

Anyway, I sent Ken some info to pass on to Bruno since he seems to be ignoring us in general. I also suggested that getting wide screen would be at the top of the want list. Next would be a different skin that is easier to follow and colors that are easier on the eyes.

Excellent Jesse! Thank you. All great suggestions!
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • headrott
    Options
    While I haven't done a lot of investigating all the new features, I will say that right off the bat that there are some site design issues that are definitely not best practices when it comes to design.

I think a lot of the "skin" issues could be corrected with HTML stylesheets if this site was designed correctly in utilizing them. Widescreen would be a cinch to fix if that were the case and you would be able to have the center part of the page size appropriately when re-sizing the browser window. How that can't be fixed immediately I don't know.

Breadcrumbs should never be that hard to read on a page. The red color on the semi-opaque white background is hard to read and a definite no-no in design.

The red font is a little bright, I'll give you all that. Another thing that should be easily fixable using HTML stylesheets. I know Polk has the red color in their logo, but sometimes you have to know when NOT to use that color. This is a good example of a time not to use that color. Maroon, black, or even some dark cherry color would be more appropriate.

The column to the right of discussions and the discussion threads is pretty much pointless. There is some account information when you log in, but that should be kept at the top with say a popup when you click on your account name. All the listing for all the discussion counts seems pointless. Putting all that out in the open just takes up space and make things look cluttered. When you aren't signed in, there are actually TWO signin links. Not a good idea.

The whole Twitter/Facebook thing has it's place. Unfortunately, companies are trying to pander to a younger generation that likes the social media component of sites. I don't think this works in all situations. Leave Facebook and Twitter to do the things they do best. Put links to your Facebook site if you want (Polk Facebook Page), but don't make a forum like that. Not in my opinion.

I credit Polk for trying to stay current with technology, but there are some definite things that have been overlooked here. Hopefully these get corrected. Some should already be fixed by now if you ask me as they shouldn't be that hard to correct.

2yrogoevdxd2.jpg

Another post with excellent suggestions! Thank you!
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    Options
    Why didnt old address redirect you. Just now found it by hitting the join forum button.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    While I understand the desire to integrate social media and the reasons behind it (As "Jack" from Fight Club would put it, we are a single serving society), it is seriously annoying to leave your mouse in the wrong place, scroll down and have it land hovering over the share button which then causes a pop-up share window to appear.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • ZLTFUL
    Options
    Another breadcrumb issue...when you click the "Home" breadcrumb, it takes you to the latest discussions and not the actual root menu of topics. Sort of annoying to me...

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • headrott
    edited August 2014
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Another breadcrumb issue...when you click the "Home" breadcrumb, it takes you to the latest discussions and not the actual root menu of topics. Sort of annoying to me...

Yeah, that's a new tweak (I believe). I prefer it the other way as well ZLTFUL.

Edit: Actually, now it "magically" is taking me back to the root menu of topics when I hit the "home" breadcumb. Not sure it "magically" did this, however......
    Post edited by headrott on
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• ZLTFUL
    Options
    Links at the top of the page are 404s. Home Audio, Sound Bars, etc...

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited August 2014
    Options
    They just updated the mobile format. Very nice!
    Hold up, something happened... They must be working on it, it did look very good.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • BlueFox
    Options
    What mobile format?

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    Log in from a tablet or smartphone and be sure it is not setup to "request desktop format." It was apparently updated this morning and it is very good for a mobile format.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • BlueFox
    Options
    I can't find anything like that in Profile. Where is it?

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
  • BlueFox
    Options
    That's just brilliant. We have to adjust the browser to the site. Since the 'rolls eyes' icon is missing, I am being sarcastic.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox
    Options
    I don't see that option with Chrome on the iPad.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • xjghost
    xjghost Posts: 1,084
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Here is a thought and I might get chastised for making this suggestion but oh well. I agree 1000% that vBullitin is a much better beast for forums over this. IDK why they would choose this vanilla thing over what was working just needed to be updated to its current build. And if you have a volunteer to maintain it that is less work for the it guy. I have experience moderating on my Jeep club forum and would gladly offer to help.
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

Bedroom system: Carver CT-24, Parasound HCA-800II, Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12c's
  • F1nut
    Options
    Is there a POLL option here, I can't find it?

I'm thinking we should have a vote to get vBulletin back or keep this and send the results to Polk.

President of Club Polk

This discussion has been closed.