Comments

• Apexpro
    Apexpro Posts: 97
    F1nut wrote: »
    Apexpro wrote: »
    Jhayman wrote: »
    I too was like you Apexpro..
    Then I grew up..

I don't see that Jamie insulted you, not at all. He was reminded of himself when he was where you're at. I wouldn't be surprised if you said the same to someone down the road.

Insinuating that I need to grow up to appreciate better cables.

"...where you're at" - so you think I need to 'grow up' too? I think pissing contests on forums are childish. And, no, I won't say that to anyone about their audio gear tastes. I'm bothered by this 'holier and smarter than thou' tone. I'm done with this thread.
    - Please don't clean up my mess. You'll only confuse me.

APC 1500, Furman Rack Rider, Cambridge Audio Dac Magic Plus, Parasound P/HP 850, Adcom GTP-880, Luxman M-300, Threshold 400A Cascode, McIntosh MC2505, MC2205, MR-71, MX-113, Sony TA-3200F, Tascam 112 MKII, Sony TC-D5 Pro, Tascam CD-200, Thorens TD-147, Kenwood KT-5500, Kenwood KT-7500, Realistic Minimus Sevens, Behringer MS40s, Boston Acoustics A40s, JBL 830Ts, 'Double' Advent Loudspeakers, Klipsch KSW12 sub, Bose 901s, Polk SDA 2s, Polk SDA 1Cs
  • Apexpro
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    There is enough posts here to sway you to try out good cables, and looking at your posts it's clear you have no desire to try them, so how bout you quit trolling the cable debate and move on..

Pls re-read the posts. I have said numerous times that I've already ordered one set of cables and intend to make two more to test for myself.

Good day sir.

APC 1500, Furman Rack Rider, Cambridge Audio Dac Magic Plus, Parasound P/HP 850, Adcom GTP-880, Luxman M-300, Threshold 400A Cascode, McIntosh MC2505, MC2205, MR-71, MX-113, Sony TA-3200F, Tascam 112 MKII, Sony TC-D5 Pro, Tascam CD-200, Thorens TD-147, Kenwood KT-5500, Kenwood KT-7500, Realistic Minimus Sevens, Behringer MS40s, Boston Acoustics A40s, JBL 830Ts, 'Double' Advent Loudspeakers, Klipsch KSW12 sub, Bose 901s, Polk SDA 2s, Polk SDA 1Cs
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,781
    Insinuating that I need to grow up to appreciate better cables.

"...where you're at" - so you think I need to 'grow up' too? I think pissing contests on forums are childish. And, no, I won't say that to anyone about their audio gear tastes. I'm bothered by this 'holier and smarter than thou' tone. I'm done with this thread.

Huh? No one has insulted you. Take a chill pill, dude.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Well I see this is going the same direction as all cable threads do.

If the OP, as stated, is reserved to trying out 3 different sets of cables, whats left to discuss ? We'll wait until he posts his findings, names the cables and associated gear, test conditions.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    I reported apex for intentionally use a quote by J to start an argument and cause ill will to the thread. I hope he gets banned for 2 weeks.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    PS: Why cant I lol my own thread !!! WHY!!!!!!!!!!
  • Apexpro
    There, I did if for you. :)

• Apexpro
    Why can't I add a smiley face to my own post?

The whole time the site was being updated I keep thinking to myself:

"You Keep Using That Word (soon), I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means”.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Smiley face operation seems go have a bug. For me it seems to work on an iPad, but not on a PC. Whether it is browser dependent or not I do not know.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,203
    Test: Windows 7, Firefox

>:)
  • Apexpro
    Test Winders7, IE10 :)

• Apexpro
    It took out a : and a ) and put nothing in it's place.

• BlueFox
    I should say I see the icons on an iPad, but not on a PC. Once I get to work I will recheck.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,203
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I should say I see the icons on an iPad, but not on a PC. Once I get to work I will recheck.
    I think you broke the internet!

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    I have found it depends on what smiley face is put in the post. This one works fine on my PC :# . All others only show up on my iphone.......not sure why. Must be something to do with the vanilla hosting site.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    Do we really have a 6-page thread going to debate whether high quality cables will impact sound quality when listening to am radio????
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • tonyb
    nspindel wrote: »
    Do we really have a 6-page thread going to debate whether high quality cables will impact sound quality when listening to am radio????

Fascinating isn't it ? I believe that's textbook for "stirring the pot".

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited August 2014
    Look at the OP’s sig. He has more sources than just a tuner….i.e. DAC, CD player, TT, etc. The guy simply stated that he thought bass sounded tighter using Romex vs. some of the stranded cable he has tried. Things went downhill from there. Same type of thing happened to me when I was new to the forum. Guys don't take you serious if you ask a question that goes against their belief and experience. Words get twisted and opinions form without even knowing a damn thing about the person.

It’s just solid copper wire, what’s the big deal? Who else has tried it? Many NAME cables use a form of solid copper. Why would anyone be surprised if it does sound better than SOME stranded cables out there? There is ALWAYS a more expensive and different sounding cable. A finding like this does not discount the entire high end.

Then the $900 power cable question was asked....and even though it has been talked about forever, it's a valid point. If every wire connected to the system matters then at what point does one address the wall wire, outlet, Amp rating, etc? $5K, $10K, $20K system and above? How much of a difference does it make? How many have done a wall socket blind test?

I guess I just don't care for the tone in threads like this....not just this one but in general around the net. Yes, some have been into it since forever but some have just turned down the high end audio road.

I got that same tone years ago at some of the local high end audio stores. I was a curious hands on young musician type with a good ear for audio. I studied music, electronics technology, audio video production. I'd played in all different sized bands in all different sized venues and was amazed at the variables that affect sound. I had questions about what it takes to make a stereo sound realistic. Staging, imaging, tonal accuracy, balance, ambience, timbre, etc. are things I wanted to learn more about. However, if one did not think a particular expensive brand was the best thing ever heard or if one did not have deep pockets some sales guys would look down on you and not give you the time of day. That old school elitist attitude in high end audio was alive and well back then.

There is no need for it today. Yes, every question in the world has been answered a million times on the net in the archives of audio forums. Yes, guys get sick of the same questions over and over again. Still....some could lighten up a bit. Even in the higher circles of audiophilia guys don't agree on the sound of particular expensive gear. There are several out there with the desire and ears to enjoy a high fi system but lack of time and money prevents it. Myself, I would be much further along had I not got so tied up with car audio back in the late 80's-90's. Many times I had a better system in the car than I did in the house....always on the go! Back on the right track now....HT is about as far as I care to go for now....on to some resolution and detail in a much better environment for listening....finally!

OK, I got that out...not that anyone cares. It’s ALL about the music anyway!!!
    Let's all look forward to the OP taking the next step and testing cables. Where is the camaraderie? Isn't that what this forum and audio as a hobby is all about?

Ok, I'm out...back to music!

Walt

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • halo71 wrote: »
    You say it (the UPS) is "only slightly better than what comes out of the outlet". But yet you do not believe "the last three feet make a difference"? Please explain....

The UPS is for protection from lightening first and foremost, and shuts down my computers in case of a power loss. They also keep the power at a constant output as the batteries boost the power to normal levels in case of a brown-out. It's easy for me to see how a flat power curve can improve the power signal going into my amp.

How does a passive 3-5' length of power cord improve the signal that's delivered to the power cord by x feet of Romex?

• Ok. cables for the test:

1. 16AWG O2-free stranded copper (currently in use)
    2. "High-end" Nakamichi Speaker Cable (delivery expected tomorrow)
    3. Custom cables from Doug ($250/pair)

Pre-amp : McIntosh MX-113
    Amp : Luxman M-300 in class A mode
    Speakers : Polk SDA2s, JBL 830ts, Bose 901s
    Inputs : Tascam CD-200, Thorens TD-147, Sony Walkman, MX-113 tuner AM and FM stations.

Good start?

Any suggestions other than blind tests, two sets of ears - a young set of good ears and an old set of partially damaged ears (mine), listen to a good source CD (Telarc most likely), good album (Aja), strong FM station - NPR, strong AM station - WPCI. Doubt I'll incorporate the Walkman into the test... (MP3s are a poor source).

Thanks!

• nspindel wrote: »

All I said was my favorite radio station was WPCI. The test will be using the best source material I have on CD and vinyl. Give me a little credit :smiley:

• BlueFox
    The best way to evaluate is to be very familiar with how something sounds in your setup. This can be your favorite CD on your stereo, or Blue Ray in the HT. Just change one thing and play your favorite CD. If anything has changed you should be able to tell.

Also, try to do this at night when it is nice and quiet. Trying to do this during the day with lots of distracting background noise can be futile.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Thanks for the info,

I plan to use three CDs, all very good recordings - a Telarc recordings of Bach on the great organ at Methuen (har har har 'great organ' har har har), a Deutsch Grammophon Brahms cello concertos, and Roger Water's "Radio K.A.O.S.".

Three albums Steely Dan "Aja", Miles Davis "Kind of Blue", and Al Dimeola, John McLauglin, and Paco DeLucia "Friday Night in San Francisco" and on 180 gram vinyl. Each recording has it's own unique characteristics I'm very familiar with.

And I'll throw in some heavy handed rock and roll: Joe Satriana and Stu Hamm live, ZZ Top "Tres Hombres, and Funkadelic "Maggot Brain", and some not so heavy handed Roxy Music "Avalon", The Beatles "White Album" - a 1/2 speed master recording, and some good live Dead...probably the Warlock recordings from Hampton (shows I attended).

Luckily our neighborhood is very quiet (except for school buses) so listening in the early evenings when I get home from work will be ideal.

Testing will commence when I return from vacation. Going to the Interlocking Music Festival "Lockn".

• And the Parasound H/HP 850
    Tascam Cd-200 and
    Tascam 112 MKII

http://i.imgur.com/bKIi2am.jpg

• - Please don't clean up my mess. You'll only confuse me.

• tonyb
    "High-end" Nakamichi Speaker Cable".....never heard of them making cables. Seems like Dougs cables are the highest quality and should give you the best bang for the buck. However, a lot of real estate remains in that price category.

Different IC's ? Whats in there now ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • The 1Cs are in the den and the 2s are in the listening room. The listening room is much better suited because of it's more balanced setup. In the den the speakers are not on equal footing, the rights are in a corner and the lefts are 5 feet from the hallway door.

Here's a pick of the Nak cables: http://i.imgur.com/LvfuH8w.jpg

• Here's some more pics of my stuff....I really need to sell some stuff but I can easily justify keeping it all. I'll need it for my 7.1 setup.

MX-113: http://i.imgur.com/b5sCNw6.jpg
    Luxman M-300 w/ 901 EQ : http://i.imgur.com/Nha2s7P.jpg
    Den setup w/ Kenwood KT-7500 visible : http://i.imgur.com/d95cOvb.jpg
    Back room setup (test room - 14'x24') : http://i.imgur.com/ftrNaqt.jpg

I need to quiet the back room down. Large heavy curtains will help a lot, I have a few dozen '24 egg' crates I could paint and put on the back wall, and maybe book cases on a side wall.

Any suggestions about inexpensive wall covering material?

• tonyb
    No....not 1C's...interconnect cables. Those Nak cables go for under 100 bucks per 8 ft pair so I wouldn't expect a huge improvement, maybe some though over basic wire.

Just soo many cables used to choose from for under 250. Around 400 really opens up the options. Interested to hear your thoughts after your demo of the other 2 pairs.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Believe it or not...those square fiber egg trays make excellent sound baffling material..use of those goes way back.....