Let me have it....tell me I'm crazy....but I use Romex 12/2 for speaker cable

Options

Comments

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I sensed a "tremor in the force" when I logged into Club Polk tonight. This was not the first thread I went to, but as soon as I saw it, the tremor was confirmed.

This is a classic "bait and bail" exhibition of behavior. That is, the OP starts an argument and lets others "fight to the finish" (the finish usually being the closing of the thread). Terrible, infantile, and frivolous behavior. Please take it someplace else OP.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited August 2014
    Options
    headrott wrote: »
    I sensed a "tremor in the force" when I logged into Club Polk tonight. This was not the first thread I went to, but as soon as I saw it, the tremor was confirmed.

This is a classic "bait and bail" exhibition of behavior. That is, the OP starts an argument and lets others "fight to the finish" (the finish usually being the closing of the thread). Terrible, infantile, and frivolous behavior. Please take it someplace else OP.

Yep but many of us here are properly schooled so he failed in starting some crap.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Speaking of cables, I am thinking of selling a Shunyata Python AES digital cable since I just upgraded to an Anaconda. The Python is .75 meters in length, and after rearranging I needed a few more inches, so I bought a 1 meter Anaconda. Granted, Romex would probably work, but I suspect the Python is a bit better.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    edited August 2014
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Granted, Romex would probably work, but I suspect the Python is a bit better.

So Bud, ya got any empirical evidence? :wink:
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    edited August 2014
    Options
    No empirical evidence. Just a gut feeling. That isn't very scientific is it? :smile:

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,205
    edited August 2014
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I needed a few more inches, so I bought a 1 meter Anaconda.

That's what she said!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Oh goody....another cable baiter thread. Stop the fun.....
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Romex for audio connections? Never tried that....might have to conduct an experiment later....when pigs fly!! The coat hanger connection sounds interesting too.....I'll record all the performance data....and pass it on...lmao!
  • fluffy
    fluffy Posts: 71
    edited August 2014
    Options
    HOLY crap!! this fread blossomed quickly!! these are like "what is the best oil for the m3" on m3forum!!
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,120
    edited August 2014
    Options
    fluffy wrote: »
    HOLY crap!! this fread blossomed quickly!! these are like "what is the best oil for the m3" on m3forum!!

So what oil did you recommend in the M3 thread? Canola?
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Wow I got a big ol box of orange jacket Romex left over when we wired the garage, to think I could of saved money on the Mit, Audioquest, and signal cables, I will have to try that Romex out!!!

Yeah right but would be more than happy to sell that box of Romex to the OP if interested :o
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Why even bother with cables. Beam your currently directly to your equipment using Tesla coil technology!

Copper, silver, twisted pair, insulated? Pffft. Tesla! But do make sure that you are properly GROUNDED!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    edited August 2014
    Options
    This is an extremely strange thread guys! PFB posts that make sense? wtf?!?
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • BlueFox
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Hermitism wrote: »
    That's what she said!

LOL. :lol:

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Apexpro
    Apexpro Posts: 97
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    Apex, high end audio gear. Imagine that.

Actually Apexpro is short for my business name - Apex Professionals. Started life as a Porsche performance shop - apex being the apex of a turn on the race track.

Ok, so I'm not trolling any longer, I've read all the posts, I'm not mad, I am curious, and I think I'll try a pair of T14 silver wires an older gentleman (I'm 55) has for sale for $100 - 8 ft each. Decent price?
    - Please don't clean up my mess. You'll only confuse me.

APC 1500, Furman Rack Rider, Cambridge Audio Dac Magic Plus, Parasound P/HP 850, Adcom GTP-880, Luxman M-300, Threshold 400A Cascode, McIntosh MC2505, MC2205, MR-71, MX-113, Sony TA-3200F, Tascam 112 MKII, Sony TC-D5 Pro, Tascam CD-200, Thorens TD-147, Kenwood KT-5500, Kenwood KT-7500, Realistic Minimus Sevens, Behringer MS40s, Boston Acoustics A40s, JBL 830Ts, 'Double' Advent Loudspeakers, Klipsch KSW12 sub, Bose 901s, Polk SDA 2s, Polk SDA 1Cs
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Hey man..that's cool..a buddy owns a Targa....it's a hoot...great car...no offence...but why would you use Romex for audio connections?.....that stuff is designed for wall cavities and rafters...I've never tried using it for that application....
  • Apexpro
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Msabot1 wrote: »
    Hey man..that's cool..a buddy owns a Targa....it's a hoot...great car...no offence...but why would you use Romex for audio connections?.....that stuff is designed for wall cavities and rafters...I've never tried using it for that application....

It's solid 12ga. annealed copper. Someone much smarter than I told me it's used in the best theaters for long pulls. Back in the 80s when I had Monster cable I couldn't tell a difference with my ears. It doesn't *not* work. :)

But I'm willing to try another side by side test. It's been almost 30 years since the last.

And yeah, 911s are the most fun you can have without a fire suit. Still love the air-cooled variety. Nothing against the new ones, expect the obscene weight.

APC 1500, Furman Rack Rider, Cambridge Audio Dac Magic Plus, Parasound P/HP 850, Adcom GTP-880, Luxman M-300, Threshold 400A Cascode, McIntosh MC2505, MC2205, MR-71, MX-113, Sony TA-3200F, Tascam 112 MKII, Sony TC-D5 Pro, Tascam CD-200, Thorens TD-147, Kenwood KT-5500, Kenwood KT-7500, Realistic Minimus Sevens, Behringer MS40s, Boston Acoustics A40s, JBL 830Ts, 'Double' Advent Loudspeakers, Klipsch KSW12 sub, Bose 901s, Polk SDA 2s, Polk SDA 1Cs
  • kevon27
    kevon27 Posts: 18
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Forget all you cable people.. I use wireless.. WISA.. No cables = superior sound..
  • kevon27
    kevon27 Posts: 18
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Has anyone ever tried water to connect speakers???
  • polkfarmboy
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Apexpro wrote: »

And yeah, 911s are the most fun you can have without a fire suit. Still love the air-cooled variety. Nothing against the new ones, expect the obscene weight.

When I get rid of my 986 I am buying a 911. Unless you have a spare one you wana trade for my MIT speaker cables.
  • Apexpro
    edited August 2014
    Options
    When I get rid of my 986 I am buying a 911. Unless you have a spare one you wana trade for my MIT speaker cables.

LOL...great post. Love it. I can still find you an SC for a fair price, the earlier model cars are insanely priced. If I'd kept every one we'd taken in on trade I'd be retired now. I actually sold the business years ago after an accident made it difficult for me to stay on my feet. (Accident had nothing to do with cars or bikes). It's ProTech Motorsports. Still the best Porsche shop this side of Andial.

• F1nut
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Someone much smarter than I told me it's used in the best theaters for long pulls.

I would have laughed at him. Movie theaters are not known for high fidelity stereo music reproduction.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited August 2014
    Options
    You should be able to detect a huge difference between copper and silver. Silver should sound much more revealing, but to my ears it was way too bright. I bought silver interconnects thinking they should be better, since they were more expensive. Ended up hating the sound, and Frank at Signal Cable was more than cool about it when he let me send them back for a full refund. That in and of itself should prove to you that cables do differ in sound.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • Apexpro
    edited August 2014
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I would have laughed at him. Movie theaters are not known for high fidelity stereo music reproduction.

Not movie theaters - theater theaters. The Peace Center for one...a $65million performing arts center. http://www.peacecenter.org/about-us

• Apexpro
    edited August 2014
    Options
    nspindel wrote: »
    You should be able to detect a huge difference between copper and silver. Silver should sound much more revealing, but to my ears it was way too bright. I bought silver interconnects thinking they should be better, since they were more expensive. Ended up hating the sound, and Frank at Signal Cable was more than cool about it when he let me send them back for a full refund. That in and of itself should prove to you that cables do differ in sound.

Okay. I believe you. Can I get decent cables for less than $10 a foot? I'll audition them on the smaller system bcos the pull is only 6-8 feet per. The main system will require close to 80 feet (two amps, three sets of speakers - Double Advents and 1Cs. (I am assuming the cables need to be same length.)

• polkfarmboy
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I prefer silver and when done right they really do sound great, you wont get silver cables done right for that price. There is a member on here called helicopterpilotdoug who started his own website and can custom make you what you want for a very reasonable price. Perhaps some one know the add and can link it for you to take a look.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited August 2014
    Options
    oops double post
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited August 2014
    Options
    http://www.douglasconnection.com/

Doug is a great guy. Straight shooter no BS with quality cables. I had a lot of fun hanging with him at the Lone Star Audio Fest

Cheers guys

He is helipilotdoug on the forum if you want to send a PM or search threads
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Apexpro
    edited August 2014
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    http://www.douglasconnection.com/

Doug is a great guy. Straight shooter no BS with quality cables. I had a lot of fun hanging with him at the Lone Star Audio Fest

Cheers guys

He is helipilotdoug on the forum if you want to send a PM or search threads

I've made an offer to the gentleman with the T-14s (2x8ft for $100). He needs to free up some cash to pay for the commemorative MC275 he just purchased. He'll be selling a boat load of wires to pay for that beautiful lump.

But I'll remember Doug or Larry for future purchases. Assuming me ears can tell a difference ....lol ;-}

• F1nut
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Apexpro wrote: »
    Not movie theaters - theater theaters. The Peace Center for one...a $65million performing arts center. http://www.peacecenter.org/about-us

Sorry, I still would have laughed at him.

President of Club Polk