Let me have it....tell me I'm crazy....but I use Romex 12/2 for speaker cable

Options

Comments

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,205
    Options
    You don't have to spend $900 on power cables to be able to hear a difference. I've had success with Pangea cords which are probably the most economical starter cable. I use one on my Blu-ray player and one in my AVR. I could not understand how a power cable could make a difference because I thought of it as a unit is either getting the power or isnt, thinking nothing else mattered. I suspect results will vary depending on how much noise is in each person's lines.
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    edited August 2014
    Options
    You say it (the UPS) is "only slightly better than what comes out of the outlet". But yet you do not believe "the last three feet make a difference"? Please explain....
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    ^^^^^

think Bluefox nailed it!
    I am glad I tried new & better cables as I've almost found my perfect sound (so to speak) by changing things up now &t then, but sometimes new & more expensive cable will disappoint you also, as sometimes they can really show whats wrong with your set-up. as Tony like to say "Synergy is a harsh Mistress!

well that's not how he says it :)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Nothing wrong with questioning, what you lack is "doing". Much of this comes by experience, without it everything remains an unanswered question or simple opinion.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    Options
    yea get 1/8" plastic tubing fill with water then use copper spades with tight fitting rubber stoppers at the ends :p
    kevon27 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever tried water to connect speakers???

POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    wow I type slow LOL, by the time I posted there was 5 other responses :)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Apexpro
    Apexpro Posts: 97
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Enjoy your tests. Reference this
    I'm done with your bantering for the sake of bantering.

Thanks for the link. In the tests the 'most favorite' wire also had the highest pF rating while the 'least favorite' wire had the lowest pF rating. Exactly what I would expect.

The differences of opinion are not statistically relevant as the differences are too close to the margin of error for the study.

In the end what matters is "does it make you happier?" Can we at least agree on that?
    - Please don't clean up my mess. You'll only confuse me.

APC 1500, Furman Rack Rider, Cambridge Audio Dac Magic Plus, Parasound P/HP 850, Adcom GTP-880, Luxman M-300, Threshold 400A Cascode, McIntosh MC2505, MC2205, MR-71, MX-113, Sony TA-3200F, Tascam 112 MKII, Sony TC-D5 Pro, Tascam CD-200, Thorens TD-147, Kenwood KT-5500, Kenwood KT-7500, Realistic Minimus Sevens, Behringer MS40s, Boston Acoustics A40s, JBL 830Ts, 'Double' Advent Loudspeakers, Klipsch KSW12 sub, Bose 901s, Polk SDA 2s, Polk SDA 1Cs
  • Hermitism
    Options
    Apexpro, here is another difference in speaker cables that hasn't been mentioned. A lot of times, I like to listen to music at low volume levels as background music while I'm on the internet. I had complained how bad my speakers sounded at low volume. They sounded extremely flat and lackluster. When I bought the cables I use now, the first thing I noticed was how much better the music sounded at those lower volume levels. That might not matter to most, but for my listening habits, it was a great surprise that I never expected.
  • Apexpro
    Options
    Hermitism wrote: »
    That might not matter to most, but for my listening habits, it was a great surprise that I never expected.

Despite what some would believe I am opened minded about this and will be listening at low, med, and high levels. I have WPCI (Google it) in the background when I'm working on projects - so it would tickle me to no end to find cables that improve the clarity and depth at low levels.

APC 1500, Furman Rack Rider, Cambridge Audio Dac Magic Plus, Parasound P/HP 850, Adcom GTP-880, Luxman M-300, Threshold 400A Cascode, McIntosh MC2505, MC2205, MR-71, MX-113, Sony TA-3200F, Tascam 112 MKII, Sony TC-D5 Pro, Tascam CD-200, Thorens TD-147, Kenwood KT-5500, Kenwood KT-7500, Realistic Minimus Sevens, Behringer MS40s, Boston Acoustics A40s, JBL 830Ts, 'Double' Advent Loudspeakers, Klipsch KSW12 sub, Bose 901s, Polk SDA 2s, Polk SDA 1Cs
  • Hermitism
    edited August 2014
    Options
    World Ports Climate Initiative?

Edit: Wireless Personal Communication, Inc...yeah, that makes much more sense. I'm an idiot.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Case in point, William has gone and flagged all of my posts in this thread...how's that for empirical data supporting the troll theory. LOL What a lifeless tool.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,713
    edited August 2014
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Case in point, William has gone and flagged all of my posts in this thread...how's that for empirical data supporting the troll theory. LOL What a lifeless tool.

All of your posts? I flagged one of your posts for abuse, after you flagged mine, none are flagged as spam. Can't you be honest about anything?

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    You are a knowledgeable asset to this community and have a vast wealth of knowledge to offer.

Guess you're right...I can't.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    Options
    Where is Rodney King when ya need him!
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,578
    Options
    Apexpro wrote: »
    Enjoy your tests. Reference this
    I'm done with your bantering for the sake of bantering.

In the end what matters is "does it make you happier?" Can we at least agree on that?

yes that is really what matters. I too have tried several brands of wire. I too found some that I didn't like. Have I spent 4figures?....no. But I have tried and found some difference's. If I had better equipment (higher dollar) I would try higher dollar wire as I would expect to hear better results for better gear. But you never know unless you try.
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    Options
    I too was like you Apexpro..
    Then I grew up..literally in the narrow minded department, shown the way by the Great members here at CP...
    I've never been Happier in my audio journey and still riding those sound waves home..
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • Apexpro
    Options
    Jhayman wrote: »
    Then I grew up..

Why does this have to include personal insults? I thought we were all adults, if I want to be insulted I'll post in front of a bunch of pre-teens on Reddit. lol

• Apexpro
    Options

Edit: Wireless Personal Communication, Inc...yeah, that makes much more sense. I'm an idiot.

WPCI are radio call letters, "Radio Randy" as we locals call it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WPCI

• Apexpro
    Options
    I'm going to address a few things from the trial I referenced above:

Excellent analysis of the study. That's the kind of thought/criticism I came here to find. Thank-you.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    .. if I want to be insulted I'll post in front of a bunch of pre-teens on Reddit. lol

You are on the new Polk pre-teen forum.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Jhayman
    Options
    And don't forget these venues are built to budget using the lowest bid contractor and do you really think expensive wiring was even discussed..?
    F1nut wrote: »
    Not movie theaters - theater theaters. The Peace Center for one...a $65million performing arts center. http://www.peacecenter.org/about-us

Sorry, I still would have laughed at him.

ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • Hermitism
    Options
    I just typed a long paragraph and accidentally tapped on the page number using my tablet and lost everything I had typed. I guess this new forum doesn't auto save what you type. Grrr.
  • Hermitism
    Options

WPCI are radio call letters, "Radio Randy" as we locals call it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WPCI

I thought you were talking about one of those intercom communication systems. So this radio station is sort of like commercial free satellite radio, but on AM? I have to be honest, I'm not sure better cables are going to make a difference listening to AM radio. So all the music is from Randy's personal collection? Does he have good taste?

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    I just typed a long paragraph and accidentally tapped on the page number using my tablet and lost everything I had typed. I guess this new forum doesn't auto save what you type. Grrr.

Yet some thing this format is technically superior.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    $900 power cables baffle me too. All the power wire coming into the house is Romex...how can the last three feet make a difference?

You're looking at it all wrong. Think of it as the first 3 feet.
    I use a big-a** UPS as a power conditioner and surge protection, but it's only slightly better than what comes out of the outlet - which is Romex.

UPS units are not build for audio, but the fact that it helps should tell you something.
    If you haven't guessed by now I question everything....because that's what I was taught growing up in the '60s and 70s. LOL

A lot of us grew up in that time frame as well. I was taught to try it for myself and to think outside the box.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    Jhayman wrote: »
    Then I grew up..

Why does this have to include personal insults? I thought we were all adults, if I want to be insulted I'll post in front of a bunch of pre-teens on Reddit. lol

I don't see that Jamie insulted you, not at all. He was reminded of himself when he was where you're at. I wouldn't be surprised if you said the same to someone down the road.

President of Club Polk

• Jhayman
    Options
    ^^ bingo....
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,906
    Options
    There is enough posts here to sway you to try out good cables, and looking at your posts it's clear you have no desire to try them, so how bout you quit trolling the cable debate and move on..
  • Apexpro
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    You are on the new Polk pre-teen forum.

LMAO....good one.

• Apexpro
    Options
    So all the music is from Randy's personal collection? Does he have good taste?

His tastes cover every genre of music I can imagine. Just heard Get Behind the Mule - John Hammond, followed by Lover Man - Lady Day, followed by Dublin Blues - Guy Clark.

There's a fair amount I don't recognize - the only downside is there's no song/artist announcement. But the upsides out-weigh the downside. It's AM stereo but I don't have an AM stereo tuner :( But for AM mono reception the signal is strong and the quality is the best AM I've ever head.