MartyCube... Lets get ready to CRANK THE BASS!!!!!!!!

Options

Comments

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Cody...this guy is here in Iowa...
    http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1789618-taming-hs-24-a.html

Not to diminish Dan's project at all but more to enable him into terrible life choices. ;)
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Not to diminish Dan's project at all but more to enable him into terrible life choices. ;)

Yeah, I've seen that.... maybe my second wife would let me get it :lol: IE aint gonna happen no time soon, and likely not ever.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    Options
    I think we've heard that before around here, from multiple people, including yourself, and maybe me as well. :smile:
  • MetropolisLake
    Options
    Beyerdynamic iNuke

Behringer. Unless Beyerdynamic owns Behringer or something.

• MetropolisLake
    Options
    With a 1 year old I want to lower the probability of her poking her finger into the driver

Anybody who is concerned about this ought to check out the Ultimax instead of the Reference sub. On the product page on parts express they stab the thing hard with a screwdriver and it doesn't even scratch.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    He actually has neither...he has a Stereo Integrity sub. And I have hounded him about young pokey fingers for days now. Hehe.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    With a 1 year old I want to lower the probability of her poking her finger into the driver

Anybody who is concerned about this ought to check out the Ultimax instead of the Reference sub. On the product page on parts express they stab the thing hard with a screwdriver and it doesn't even scratch.
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    He actually has neither...he has a Stereo Integrity sub. And I have hounded him about young pokey fingers for days now. Hehe.

And since I'd considered that at the concept stage it will be downfiring so it's a moot point
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    So I have to thank Chris for being patient with me. I tend to over engineer things, and this build is no different.

Despite having furniture inserts which I am sure will do just fine, I realized that the 15" driver I have is similar to the 15" passive in the Polk SDA line....

Many of you familiar with Polks SDA's may know of a special sauce called "Larrys Rings".... I am likely sourcing 2 15" rings to use for my Sub build and then to have another in case I do a second sub later on...

What the rings do is couple the driver evenly to the baffle, but more importantly, they ensure you NEVER strip the holes because instead of **** into a wood baffle and possibly stripping the MDF, you're using a metal insert....

Here are a couple pictures of them (from @DarqueKnight threads) and a link to an explanation of how they are used for Polk SDA's

SDA-rings-boxed-flsh-s.jpg

SDA-rings2-s.jpg

A BIG THANKS TO @Toolfan66 for creating the rings in general and being a great community member.
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    So Chris has been busy getting it all set for me. He's got the legs on after some tweaking via text and pictures (below)

7EE6DF47-F0F6-44A3-949F-9319335A5A50.jpg

First iteration of legs. 1" from both sides, Legs 4 1/2 tall.

0C1641F0-7B2C-471A-A19B-C013D1B3C2C4.jpg

F772FB49-D6D1-4A89-A9E6-9194E2885669.jpg

I think that looked too far in, so we tried as close as possible to the edge. Since we had rounded them flush wasn't an option.

12D14A63-D817-4B79-864B-1900235856A6.jpg

072DBEB9-FDCE-4057-853A-73945A2F3AB3.jpg

54B99013-C6A0-40AD-89FC-59370DA85F3C.jpg

So I said lets cut the difference and try 1/2 an inch. Thats what we ended up settling on. We also cut it down to 4" tall as I will be installing spikes of some sort on the legs which should raise it up to around 4 1/2" tall.

22FA75A5-92E5-4E82-B68A-387F29CECDD2.jpg

8F545A2C-9B18-4D5C-9B90-87EA7C182164.jpg

EB05580F-F642-4A59-9CC8-A1EB988E5ABC.jpg

Legs are now attached:

F21B46F6-0E90-4D0B-A85E-6F3047842898.jpg

Then today he shot 2 coats of primer on it. I will be doing the final finish as the spray duratex is NOT the right kind for his sprayer and I dont want to make him roll the finish on, thats too much. So I'm trying to see if I need to order the full gallon or if I can get by with the smaller stuff. @Conradicles how much did you need for your enclosure? I think ours are the same size or close enough.

C7528B46-66F6-4682-9979-5B4BFCF7F396.jpg

AND IT LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!! First pictures of it downfiring. Still need to install Larry's rings and the final finish, but otherwise I'm good to go.

16297E66-B8D9-4884-959B-82F5CEDB8F78.jpg

7817EB0B-54AF-4012-9209-8B157CCE70B8.jpg
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    Options
    I think you'll be unhappy and have to go bigger. Or at least a second sub... :wink:
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    codyc1ark wrote: »
    I think you'll be unhappy and have to go bigger. Or at least a second sub... :wink:

Lol. I've got plans to go duals but first things first is locking down a second of the drivers so I have 2 of the same.

Likely a long time before I can go duals.
  • TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    Options
    There's a black paint thread around here somewhere......
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    Now that's what I'm talking about....You're almost there. Let there be Bass!
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • EndersShadow
    edited February 2015
    Options
    So after some discussions with my buddy, he's got me to agree to let him spray it satin black rather than use duratex. I saw a set of speakers he used the satin on and they looked quite nice and he's assured me the finish will stand up to some kido issues.

So we are gonna go that route as its cheaper, he can spray it with his gun to give me a nice finish.

Worst case, it if has issues, I can go with duratex after the fact, but I trust him so I doubt that will be an issue.

Will get some more pics up when I get them.

I am busy this upcoming weekend with a Home & Garden show the wife and I are going to, so looks like at least next weekend before I could make time to get down there to pick it up.

Larrys ring is still in transit hopefully and will be installed before I arrive with the woofer for final assembly...
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    1st coat went on with 2 coats on the bottom. Thats all for tonight, gonna let it sit overnight and do another couple coats over the next few days. He may sand between depending on how it looks...

F04BA22B-BBFB-41BB-876E-37C236766413.jpg

BE01B501-458E-48B9-9E3B-A9BCBE8CE3F3.jpg
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    3rd coat laid down with some sanding between. It's still tacky

EA5E7DF6-C8CD-472E-A255-77FEAFF0F2CD.jpg

F53A0D3B-3684-4A7C-B76B-644DD4D3214F.jpg
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    Might have missed it. Where are you at on this beast?
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    This thread makes me wish I wasn't in an apartment. Your friend does nice work, enjoy!

Maybe it's my reading comprehension skills lacking, what are you going to power it with?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    oldrocker wrote: »
    Might have missed it. Where are you at on this beast?

Its done pending Larrys Rings showing up, and he wants to respray as there was some slight banding on the top. The re-spray happens this Sunday (temps are finally good enough for it).

Tentatively I will be picking this up from him on the weekend of the 6th, and hopefully dialing it in that night.
    Nightfall wrote: »
    This thread makes me wish I wasn't in an apartment. Your friend does nice work, enjoy!

Maybe it's my reading comprehension skills lacking, what are you going to power it with?

Dayton SA-1000 rack-mountable amp. 1000 watts @ 4 ohm.

I keep going back and forth on if I should have (or should) go with a iNuke 6000 as I'd "like" to build a second sub as an endtable that is caddy corner from this one to help with any nulls in the room. And right now the Dayton cant drive 2 subs with the wattage I need and its the wrong ohm load. Plus then I'd have to EQ them as one rather than independently, which is a pretty big deal.

So if I ever upgrade to 2 subs I've got the following options:

1. Replace drivers and use 8 ohm drivers to arrive at 4 ohm load on the Dayton
    2. Buy another Dayton amp (not super cheap)
    3. Sell existing Dayton and buy a pro amp of decent power (has fan, requires XLR modifications, wont work with my MiniDSP)

Of all of those, #2 is the more likely given that its less work to put into my existing system, but a pro-amp might be a better option depending on what I go with. If I found a quiet pro-amp with decent power (1k @ 4 ohms) with RCA inputs and speaker (rather than speakon) outputs I'd be in debates about it....

But not sure if I will ever be allowed to go with duals, so thats why I went with the Dayton. No fan modifications needed, works with regular RCA inputs and regular speaker wire so I dont need to get anything special for it.

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I think after you start knocking dishes out of the cupboards with this thing you might not even want a second one.

...or rather she won't allow you to have a second one. ;)
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    ...or rather she won't allow you to have a second one. ;)

I already do that with my current sub when the volumes up....

Going duals would be more about fixing nulls than increased SPL. I can crank it all I want but if the main LP is in a null or close to one, I'm somewhat limited on moving furniture around, so another sub elsewhere would help alleviate that.... Also provide better off axis bass coverage since I dont always sit in the sweet spot for movies.

Likely both subs would be turned down significantly or EQ'd to a decent house curve.

• oldrocker
    Options
    Weekend of the 6th eh? Now I will know what that frightening rumble across the horizon is from.... :D
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    oldrocker wrote: »
    Weekend of the 6th eh? Now I will know what that frightening rumble across the horizon is from.... :D

Tehehehehehehehe
  • oldrocker
    Options
    And on that day you'll be grinning and the kids cat here will crapping all over the floor... :s
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    It's here. Right now I'm taking a break from messing with it. For now I'm rear firing it because my wife likes that the height almost matches the windowsill height.

That said, if it measures or sounds bad that way it will be downfiring.

Watching Open Season 3 right now with the kido. After she goes to bed I will be EQing the sub with the minidsp.

It's already got a bunch more punch but I haven't really had time for good measurements.

Pics....

wczeoey1uuiu.jpg
    y8h4a9t8igg1.jpg
    ce2vtmwcpdbk.jpg
    ot4wc2rirwge.jpg
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,038
    Options
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    Sad man.

Huh?
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    So this is my Day 1 eq with REW and the Minidsp.

I've got a room mode at 50-60hz it looks like that I'm not sure how to deal with. Otherwise fairly happy w the response.

I have a high pass of 18hz w a 12db per octave drop to protect the woofer from being overdriven. No low pass via the Minidsp as the AVR is doing that.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

yopzvhuz5f3l.jpg
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    Well I've got a smile a mile wide for 2 reasons.

1. Finally cranked it a bit to see it flex its muscles.... Was awesome! I only got to 40 out of 75 before I was asked to turn it down because...

2. I was apparently vibrating the master bath floor and flexing the plywood bad hehehe!!!

Oh yeah. I need the place to myself for a couple hours to rematch some of my movies lol...
  • oldrocker
    Options
    And the Kracken has FINALLY been released... :D

Have fun with it....