Cardas Internal Wire Replacement For The SDA SRS 1.2TL

Options

Comments

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,915
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Schurkey wrote: »
    I've got z-e-r-o experience with the AMP connectors and pins.

On the other hand, I've build a zillion GM Weatherpack wire harnesses.

Looks to me like the AMP pins are merely GM Weatherpack pins--or a close copy--that are then installed into a proprietary plastic block.

Unless I'm misled by some trick of scale, I bet an $11-or-less GM Weatherpack removal tool would work perfectly to dig the pins back out of the terminal blocks.

Close as the nearest auto parts house--NAPA, CarQuest, etc. NAPA p/n NW 725153
    http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=NW_725153_0312357064

630456.jpg
    or
    http://www.amazon.com/Delphi-Packard-Weatherpack-Terminal-Release/dp/B000IIY56E

Essentially the same tool is available on eBay for ~$5 with free shipping. Search for "Weatherpack Tool"

In the same vein, one of the many styles of GM Weatherpack crimp tools would serve to make the special "W-crimp" around the bare wire that those connectors appreciate

Just to nit-pick...
    004RemovingPin-s.jpg
    The rearmost "fingers" of the pin terminal (in the GM world, anyway) are intended to grip the wire's insulation or a special silicone seal that keeps moisture (weather) out of the connector assembly. (the silicone seal would not be applicable when installing the wire into the AMP plastic connector block, I'm sure) Those rearmost fingers are not intended to grip the bare wire. Electrical contact with the wire is made with the smaller crimpable section just forward of the larger "fingers". This supports the wire better, reducing stress on the metal conductors.

They sell a tool for removing these pins from the connector on McMaster Carr.. A little pricey but worth it IMO!!
  • Toolfan66
    edited December 2012
    Options
    image.jpg

This is the one I own and it is the best!! I don't remember what McMaster Carr's number is. I can look for it later..
  • Toolfan66
    edited December 2012
    Options
    McMaster Carr # is 7867K32
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Weatherpack pins and seals--I'm assuming that the AMP pins are essentially identical. Both the pins and the seals are specific to a wire gauge range. The seals have small, medium, or large holes for the wire to go through. The arrows point out the visible difference in the pins--three small fingers for small wire, two medium fingers for larger wire.
    Weatherpack_01.JPG

Arrow showing "W-crimp", with rear fingers not yet crimped around the silicone seal. I'd think that crimping them directly to the insulation would require clipping the fingers shorter with a side-cutter or somesuch before squeezing them around the insulation. In the Weatherpack world, the longer fingers are needed to go around the neck of the silicone seal.
    Weatherpack_07.JPG

With the rear fingers holding the insulation, bending stress is removed from the actual wire conductor at the terminal interface, improving fatigue resistance.
  • Schurkey
    edited December 2012
    Options
    If you have one of the Weatherpack contact extration tools, would you measure the inside and outside diameter of the end? Thanks. The inside diameter of the AMP block tubes is ~4 mm. The outside diameter of the AMP socket contacts is ~2.5 mm. The inside diameter of the AMP extration tool is 2.74 mm.
    Missed this...I will measure my tool this weekend.

And also get the dimensions you requested, too. :)
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited December 2012
    Options

Thanks. I found the spec sheet, with dimensions, for the AMP contact removal tool on the Mouser.com website. Mouser also sells the Weatherpack tool, but the link to its spec sheet goes to the Delphi website and I could not find a document that had the dimensions of the Weatherpack tool.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • DarqueKnight
    edited December 2012
    Options
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited December 2012
    Options
    To get ALL of the polyurethane coating off, you must use hot solder to burn it off.

If you are going to try and use Cardas wire, I have found the best method is to dip the stripped ends in a solder pot. It works perfectly.
  • DarqueKnight
    edited December 2012
    Options
    amulford wrote: »
    If you are going to try and use Cardas wire, I have found the best method is to dip the stripped ends in a solder pot. It works perfectly.

Yes, that is the method recommended by Cardas.
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited December 2012
    Options
    OK, how would it work dipping your wire in the solder pot? I assume it would need solder melted in the pot and by dipping the wire you are melting off the jacket and tinning the wire at the same time ?
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • Toolfan66
    edited December 2012
    Options
    thsmith wrote: »
    OK, how would it work dipping your wire in the solder pot? I assume it would need solder melted in the pot and by dipping the wire you are melting off the jacket and tinning the wire at the same time ?

Yep but you still want to scrape off the coating as much as you can..
  • DarqueKnight
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Sonic Improvements

After a rough start, everything turned out well. All of the original wire in my SDA SRS 1.2TL's has been replaced with Cardas 15.5 AWG copper Litz wire. I realized the following benefits over the stock wire:

1. Heavier stereophonic images.
    2. More depth.
    3. Heavier, more detailed, more articulate bass.
    4. More overall clarity and instrumental detail. I hear vocal and instrumental details I didn't hear before.
    5. More tactile sensation.

Cost

This modification was very inexpensive, as far as high end modifications go, but was very time consuming. It was more than worth it though. The cost for wire and connectors was $287. Fifty hours of labor was required.

Polyurethane Insulation Removal

The Cardas 15.5 AWG chassis wire I used consists of 48 strands of high purity polished copper. Each strand is coated with polyurethane varnish. The wire bundle is jacketed in Teflon insulation.

The best way of removing the polyurethane varnish from the individual wire strands is stripping off the Teflon outer jacket, fanning out the individual strands and dipping them into a solder pot. This will burn off the polyurethane and dilute the burned residue it so that it does not recontaminate the wire. I would still recommend grinding or scraping off the polyurethane prior to dipping in the solder pot.

The second best way of removing the polyurethane varnish from the individual wire strands is to fan them out and scour them with a Dremel carbon steel wire brush and then burn off the residual polyurethane missed with solder. A small amount of burned polyurethane will bubble up, but this will be much smaller than the amount that would bubble up if the wires had not been previously scrubbed. My 40 watt soldering wand did not work well on this wire. The low heat (100 watt) setting on my Weller soldering gun did not work well either. I had to use the 140 watt setting.

The third best way is to use a soldering gun only (with no prior scraping or grinding). The solder used was Cardas Quad-Eutectic.

Since grinding or scraping off the polyurethane coating are popular methods, I thought it would be of benefit to post resistance measurements between the stock wire, Cardas wire with brushed ends and Cardas wire with brushed and soldered ends.

SDASRS12TLWireResMeasPostWires-s.jpg

Discussion of Results

Prior internal wire replacements on SDA's (SDA 1B and SDA CRS+) did not yield any audible differences. In those cases the 16 gauge stock wire was replaced with 10 gauge Monster Cable. I was expecting little, if any, sonic improvement with this modification. Based on the improvements in stereophony and holography brought by this modification, I am interested in trying better quality internal wiring, such as AudioQuest's GO-4 speaker cable...but I'll have to find a good deal on it!
  • PolkMaster1
    PolkMaster1 Posts: 847
    edited December 2012
    Options
    DK -

Is there any preference between going with the Cardas Internal Wiring versus the Neotech OCC Copper and OCC Silver wiring? Would you make any distinction between solid wiring versus stranded wire?

I am sure a good deal can be offered when Sonic Craft offers a 20% discount.

Thanks for your research in this matter. I can safely say for all of us that we all appreciate the time you took in doing this!!!
    Statistics show that 98% of us will die at some point in our lifetime.

The other 2% will work for WalMart.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Sonic Improvements

After a rough start, everything turned out well. All of the original wire in my SDA SRS 1.2TL's has been replaced with Cardas 15.5 AWG copper Litz wire. I realized the following benefits over the stock wire:

1. Heavier stereophonic images.
    2. More depth.
    3. Heavier, more detailed, more articulate bass.
    4. More overall clarity and instrumental detail. I hear vocal and instrumental details I didn't hear before.
    5. More tactile sensation.

Cost

This modification was very inexpensive, as far as high end modifications go, but was very time consuming. It was more than worth it though. The cost for wire and connectors was $287. Fifty hours of labor was required.

Polyurethane Insulation Removal

The Cardas 15.5 AWG chassis wire I used consists of 48 strands of high purity polished copper. Each strand is coated with polyurethane varnish. The wire bundle is jacketed in Teflon insulation.

The best way of removing the polyurethane varnish from the individual wire strands is stripping off the Teflon outer jacket, fanning out the individual strands and dipping them into a solder pot. This will burn off the polyurethane and dilute the burned residue it so that it does not recontaminate the wire. I would still recommend grinding or scraping off the polyurethane prior to dipping in the solder pot.

The second best way of removing the polyurethane varnish from the individual wire strands is to fan them out and scour them with a Dremel carbon steel wire brush and then burn off the residual polyurethane missed with solder. A small amount of burned polyurethane will bubble up, but this will be much smaller than the amount that would bubble up if the wires had not been previously scrubbed. My 40 watt soldering wand did not work well on this wire. The low heat (100 watt) setting on my Weller soldering gun did not work well either. I had to use the 140 watt setting.

The third best way is to use a soldering gun only (with no prior scraping or grinding). The solder used was Cardas Quad-Eutectic.

Since grinding or scraping off the polyurethane coating are popular methods, I thought it would be of benefit to post resistance measurements between the stock wire, Cardas wire with brushed ends and Cardas wire with brushed and soldered ends.

SDASRS12TLWireResMeasPostWires-s.jpg

Discussion of Results

Prior internal wire replacements on SDA's (SDA 1B and SDA CRS+) did not yield any audible differences. In those cases the 16 gauge stock wire was replaced with 10 gauge Monster Cable. I was expecting little, if any, sonic improvement with this modification. Based on the improvements in stereophony and holography brought by this modification, I am interested in trying better quality internal wiring, such as AudioQuest's GO-4 speaker cable...but I'll have to find a good deal on it!
    I can't speak for your wallet and if it's worth the sound benefits but IMO I have found so far dollar to dollar Audioquest outperforms Cardas in all areas. I'm gearing up for a pretty long weekend shootout between Cardas and Audioquest to see if my statement holds true over a few different products or if Cardas will outperform the Audioquest versions. Not to take anything away from Cardas as they seem to really pay attention to details when building there cables. I however have yet to become a huge fan and I have been Installing Cardas for over 4 years now along side of Audioquest. I just don't see or hear the benefits from there cables over others in the price class. I also feel Kimber Kable outperforms them as Kimber Kable is probably one of the finest cables on the market.

I'm actually gonna order some Go-4's for external use. I have yet to try that cable.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • DarqueKnight
    edited December 2012
    Options
    DK -

Is there any preference between going with the Cardas Internal Wiring versus the Neotech OCC Copper and OCC Silver wiring? Would you make any distinction between solid wiring versus stranded wire?

I am sure a good deal can be offered when Sonic Craft offers a 20% discount.

Thanks for your research in this matter. I can safely say for all of us that we all appreciate the time you took in doing this!!!

The only thing I know about the Neotech wire is what I read in this and similar threads:
    Face wrote: »
    Or a very hot iron and a lot of patience.

Cardas chassis wire has a smooth, relaxed sound to it. For a more detailed sound, use Neotech solid core. The Neotech mush be braided and is also a PITA to work with also.

The Cardas wire didn't sound smoother than my 1.2TL's stock wire, just more detailed overall.
  • DarqueKnight
    edited December 2012
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    I can't speak for your wallet and if it's worth the sound benefits but IMO I have found so far dollar to dollar Audioquest outperforms Cardas in all areas. I'm gearing up for a pretty long weekend shootout between Cardas and Audioquest to see if my statement holds true over a few different products or if Cardas will outperform the Audioquest versions. Not to take anything away from Cardas as they seem to really pay attention to details when building there cables. I however have yet to become a huge fan and I have been Installing Cardas for over 4 years now along side of Audioquest. I just don't see or hear the benefits from there cables over others in the price class. I also feel Kimber Kable outperforms them as Kimber Kable is probably one of the finest cables on the market.

I'm actually gonna order some Go-4's for external use. I have yet to try that cable.

I ordered 80 feet of AudioQuest GO-4 speaker cable and it should be here in a few days. The GO-4 is 6X the cost of the Cardas, so it will be interesting to see how it compares. One of the AQ dealers I requested a quote from tried to talk me out of getting the GO-4. He asked me to consider the Type 4 instead. He said the GO-4 would be overkill for interal speaker wiring and Type 4 is 1/3 the price.
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Maybe I missed it but who made the original wiring for Polk during 1985-1990?
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • PolkMaster1
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    Cardas chassis wire has a smooth, relaxed sound to it. For a more detailed sound, use Neotech solid core. The Neotech mush be braided and is also a PITA to work with also.

I am experienced with braiding Neotech Wiring.

• DarqueKnight
    edited December 2012
    Options
    PolkieMan wrote: »
    Maybe I missed it but who made the original wiring for Polk during 1985-1990?

Made by Allied Wire and Cable.

UL Style 1015 Hookup Wire
    16 AWG Stranded Tinned Copper Wire
    PVC Insulation
  • PolkMaster1
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Made by Allied Wire and Cable.

UL Style 1015 Hookup Wire
    16 AWG Stranded Tinned Copper Wire
    PVC Insulation

Would tinned copper wire make it an alloy, compromising the purity of the copper cable? Is there any benificial properties that tinned copper gives over a pure copper wire?

For us audio purists, I would want a pure copper wire used in my audio and video connections.

• DarqueKnight
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Would tinned copper wire make it an alloy, compromising the purity of the copper cable?

Tinning is just an airtight protective coating over the copper. An alloy would be an actual mixture of the two, which would compromise the purity of the copper.

Is there any benificial properties that tinned copper gives over a pure copper wire?

1. Resists corrosion from environmental moisture.

2. Lasts up to 10 times longer than non-tinned wire.

3. Better conductivity than bare copper wire.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I ordered 80 feet of AudioQuest GO-4 speaker cable and it should be here in a few days. The GO-4 is 6X the cost of the Cardas, so it will be interesting to see how it compares. One of the AQ dealers I requested a quote from tried to talk me out of getting the GO-4. He asked me to consider the Type 4 instead. He said the GO-4 would be overkill for interal speaker wiring and Type 4 is 1/3 the price.
    Type 4 speaker cable is fantastic as I have used it many times personally and professionally. It's one hell of a good sounding cable. But it's not perfect surface , it's long grain copper.
    I'd like to hear internal and external Go-4 from amp to drivers , I believe this would yield the best overall results in your test. I'm assuming you didn't order enough to build a pair of speakers wires externally right?
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • DarqueKnight
    edited December 2012
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    Type 4 speaker cable is fantastic as I have used it many times personally and professionally. It's one hell of a good sounding cable. But it's not perfect surface , it's long grain copper.
    I'd like to hear internal and external Go-4 from amp to drivers , I believe this would yield the best overall results in your test. I'm assuming you didn't order enough to build a pair of speakers wires externally right?

I ordered a little more GO-4 than what was required. Each speaker requires 39 feet of wire.

My speaker cables are AudioQuest Everest: 9 gauge perfect surface silver.
  • PolkMaster1
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Tinning is just an airtight protective coating over the copper. An alloy would be an actual mixture of the two, which would compromise the purity of the copper.

1. Resists corrosion from environmental moisture.

2. Lasts up to 10 times longer than non-tinned wire.

3. Better conductivity than bare copper wire.

Thanks for the info. This changes my viewpoint of "tinned copper". Much appreciated.

• Schurkey
    edited December 2012
    Options
    If you have one of the Weatherpack contact extration tools, would you measure the inside and outside diameter of the end? Thanks. The inside diameter of the AMP block tubes is ~4 mm. The outside diameter of the AMP socket contacts is ~2.5 mm. The inside diameter of the AMP extration tool is 2.74 mm.

Better late than never???

Weatherpack_02.JPG
    2.95 mm

Weatherpack_03.JPG
    3.30 mm

Weatherpack_04.JPG
    0.13 mm

3.30 - 0.13 - 0.13 = 3.04 mm ID. Looks like the Weatherpack terminals are just a bit bigger than the AMP terminals.
  • DarqueKnight
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Better late than never???
    3.30 - 0.13 - 0.13 = 3.04 mm ID. Looks like the Weatherpack terminals are just a bit bigger than the AMP terminals.

Thanks.
  • DarqueKnight
    edited December 2012
    Options
    The AudioQuest GO-4 wire is here. I ordered 80 feet, but AQ threw in an extra 4 feet. AQ shipped my order the same day they received it (Tuesday) and I received the wire on Saturday. I wondered why the box was so big: the cable was neatly coiled and shrink-wrapped around a wooden spool, then the spool was wrapped in thick wads of kraft paper.

AQGO-4Spool84ft-s.jpg
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Whats the AQ going for? I see it on 1 site for $15 a foot.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • DarqueKnight
    edited December 2012
    Options
    thsmith wrote: »
    Whats the AQ going for? I see it on 1 site for $15 a foot.

That is the current retail price. Most dealers offer nice discounts. Some dealers offer very nice discounts to repeat customers. They can afford to since the retail markup on wire is so high.
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Lets get the verdict, and then group buy!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.