Cardas Internal Wire Replacement For The SDA SRS 1.2TL

Options
1235»

Comments

• nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I had some goodies delivered today as well. The Cardas wire and flux arrived from Soniccraft, and the connectors from Mouser as well. Looks like the ABT quick connects will be here on Thursday. The solder pot is coming from China, looks like that will be the bottleneck in getting this project going.

I had a setback on the bar solder. Got a notice from the Amazon merchant that minimum order is 5 bars, so I cancelled the order. When I started looking online to find someone else selling it, I came across the 5 bar minimum in several other places. I finally found someplace that would sell a single unit, but they had a $25 minimum order. So I threw in a can of Deoxit, I needed some anyway. The place where I got the Kester low dross bar solder from was here:

https://www.all-spec.com/products/KB305.html

Merry Christmas to all of you and yours!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • nspindel
    edited December 2013
    Options
    DK, if you're not in too much of a rush, you're welcome to send me the Cardas wire cut to the lengths you want wire and I'll tin them for you with the solder pot and send them back to you. I'm just not sure how quickly the solder pot arrives from China, but it has shipped already.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited December 2013
    Options
    nspindel wrote: »
    DK, if you're not in too much of a rush, you're welcome to send me the Cardas wire cut to the lengths you want wire and I'll tin them for you with the solder pot and send them back to you. I'm just not sure how quickly the solder pot arrives from China, but it has shipped already.

Thanks for the very tempting offer, but I am already done with one speaker and 20% done with the other.
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    I wanted to go with the Cardas, but it just sounds like a PIA, ...

It is a PITA, but it's about the same amount of time and work as installing rings: disassembly, tedious precision drilling, lots of dust to clean up, and reassembly vs. disassembly, tedious precision soldering, lots of solder smoke, and reassembly.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • nspindel
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Solder pot arrived as did the bar solder. I can tell you that this 1 2/3 lb. bar of solder is probably enough to build wiring harnesses for every member of this forum. So if anyone wants to send me wire to tin for them, pm me.

Meanwhile, Mouser messed up my order for the Molex connectors and sent me some wrong parts, they've shipped out the proper ones. Also waiting on the Speakon connectors as well as Trey to modify the binding post plates, so still need to hold off a bit before I start this project.