Vintage Monitor and SDA Speaker Deals

Comments

• Tony MTony M Posts: 8,481
    I hate those ads that state $$ for Polk audio speakers model # whatever. ^^^^^^^

Then you click on it thinking I might buy them only to find out the price in the title is only for one speaker. :s

Bait and switch BS.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 15,272
    But will he only sell one speaker that is the 10million $ question
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,471
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
  • FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 3,801
    It IS a deal, I've dealt with the seller before (NAD C320BEE), nice guy, knows his stuff.
  • blandisblandis Posts: 13
    Were a pair of SDA2 with a new pair of RDO polk tweeters... veneer had been stripped but complete. Mid project that he/she lost interest in. $50. Figured they would they would be a quick sell. Tweeters alone are worth more than that.
  • tonyp063tonyp063 Posts: 707
    North-central PA.
    Monitor 5s & 7s??
    Steal of a price if they are in any kind of decent shape

https://williamsport.craigslist.org/msg/d/polk-audio-speakers/6723367689.html
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,664
    tonyp063 wrote: »
    North-central PA.
    Monitor 5s & 7s??

The description says "worked", not work. Maybe a typo, but could be a sneaky attempt at hiding broken speakers.
    Either way, they are probably worth the price.
    Not Tom or Trey or Jim just Micah
    KEF Q150s, NAD 1155 preamp and 4155 tuner courtesy of DaddyJT, NAD C352 playing power amp, BJC Belden cables, Technics SL3200, Marantz CD6004 courtesy of Clipdat, Salamander Archetype rack, Millenium Falcon :)
    I've always thought the goal of high-end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.

Resident Child of Club Polk
    Worst

Picture

Ever.

Why can't people take pics that DON'T hide the item in a shadow?
  • krazypolkkrazypolk Posts: 598
    tonyp063 wrote: »
    North-central PA.
    Monitor 5s & 7s??

I don't believe that any of them are monitor 7. Maybe monitor 5's and 5jr's, or one of the other monitor 4 variants.
    Remember my beef with people who don't take the grills off for pictures either.

Now here's one close to me that did take the grills off. I emailed them but no response yet. I probably missed out this deal. I thought 24 hours about buying these and when I saw I had space to put them, I caved and sent an email. :s:)

https://wilmington.craigslist.org/ele/d/polk-audio-tower-speakers/6723045122.html
    bb8uyljttwf5.png
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Worst

Picture

Ever.

Why can't people take pics that DON'T hide the item in a shadow?

Because that doesn't hide imperfections. ;)
    KEF Q150s, NAD 1155 preamp and 4155 tuner courtesy of DaddyJT, NAD C352 playing power amp, BJC Belden cables, Technics SL3200, Marantz CD6004 courtesy of Clipdat, Salamander Archetype rack, Millenium Falcon :)
    I've always thought the goal of high-end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.

Tony M wrote: »
    Remember my beef with people who don't take the grills off for pictures either.

Now here's one close to me that did take the grills off. I emailed them but no response yet. I probably missed out this deal. I thought 24 hours about buying these and when I saw I had space to put them, I caved and sent an email. :s:)

https://wilmington.craigslist.org/ele/d/polk-audio-tower-speakers/6723045122.html
    bb8uyljttwf5.png

Amazing deal!
    I still haven't heard back. :(:'(
  • NhpennNhpenn Posts: 56
    https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/58984060
    ysttmq4o9xh7.jpg

Is it kosher to ask other polkies to not bid on polk speakers?
    I think it's a case of how much do you want to bid.

You've got 33 posts here. I guess you plan on staying around for a while since you asked politely. That's nice of you for sure.

Let's see if anybody else plans on biding on these. Maybe they will tell their high point if there is another. Either way, I think the census is go for them if you want them. If you ALREADY have a pair of them, then yea, let another possibly get them but then the what is that person willing to spend compared to what you're willing to spend again.
  • NhpennNhpenn Posts: 56

You've got 33 posts here. I guess you plan on staying around for a while since you asked politely. That's nice of you for sure.

Let's see if anybody else plans on biding on these. Maybe they will tell their high point if there is another. Either way, I think the census is go for them if you want them. If you ALREADY have a pair of them, then yea, let another possibly get them but then the what is that person willing to spend compared to what you're willing to spend again.

Thats about what I expected, I was mostly wondering if there was a rule for or aganist that sort of thing.

And no, sadly I dont already have a pair. I have a very small colection of polks :'(
    Nhpenn wrote: »

Thats about what I expected, I was mostly wondering if there was a rule for or aganist that sort of thing.

And no, sadly I dont already have a pair. I have a very small colection of polks :'(

Do you have a cable for them? If not, consider getting one and a set of RD-0194 tweets (from Polk direct) once you win in 6 days.

If you've never experienced SDA, these aren't a bad introduction.

Personally, I wouldn't drop any more than $150 on them before any upgrades.
    There are 4 tweeters...so he would need 2 pairs of R-D194's. :#
  • verbverb Posts: 8,811

Worth every penny! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS,Cary SLP-05 Pre,Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport,Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC,Cambridge 851N streamer,Marantz SA-14 SACD,McIntosh MC300 Amp,Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable,Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner,Pangea Power Cables,Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's,MIT Shotgun S3 IC's,MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC,EAR Acute CD Player,EAR 834L Pre,Northstar Designs Intenso DAC,PASS ACA Monoblocks,Denon UDR-F10 Cassette,Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers,SVS SB12 Plus sub,MIT AVt2 speaker cables,IFI Purifier2,AQ Cinnamon USB cable,Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks,Tisbury Mini Passive Pre,Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38),Analysis Plus Oval 9's,Zu Jumpers,AudioEngine B1 Streamer,Klipsch RB-61 v2,SVS PB1000 sub,Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated,Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer,Rotel RCD-1072 CD player,Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner,Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers,Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub

Hence a set, not a pair... But who's counting.
    FestYboy wrote: »

Hence a set, not a pair... But who's counting.

OK...sorry. I misunderstood.

• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 15,272
    One tweeter is dimensional. Take out the fuse for and forget it. Those are expensive to recap I have a set. Descent not the best but nice to listen to. You WILL need to rework tweeter hole for RDO's to fit properly. They will squeeze the connection points into the magnet. Too much work air gap bad bad bad.
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,764
    I would hold out for a set of SDA-1b or 1c's before I spent a dime on the ones at Goodwill.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • aprazer402aprazer402 Posts: 1,588
    Polk Center CS350-LS, No Affil. Is this one that timbre matches well with the original monitor series, 5,7,10's? Is $140 a little steep? Thanks.
    yp8a80pzxmpl.jpg
    I believe the CS-350 is for the LS series, but I’m not sure. I don’t think there was a center for the original Monitors. Price wise, I have no idea.

The price is typical. Some appear cheaper but they're kind of rare. People tend to hold onto them. ;)

Kind of a sought after center channel speaker for sure.

I'd ask for a discount though. It never hurts to ask!