Vintage Monitor and SDA Speaker Deals

Comments

• EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 17,163
    I had the M-50s and paid 225 for them and sold them for 275 after a few months.

They are great sounding speakers. I’d own them again for 50 bucks in a heartbeat.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 9,466
    I'll try to type some more audio related stories here as long as I live I guess.

I thought about getting another pair of Boston's off of eBay a couple/few of years ago too. I saw some for $200+pr. to $400pr. for the M60s but I never bought any.
    At that time, I had a boat load of audio gear and speakers and sure didn't need to buy anything more valued more than a 100.00 UNLESS it was something I hadn't heard or owned before and a GEM too.

Back about the same time that I bought my Boston's( Pawn shop), I purchased a pr. of Paradigm Studio 20s...V3 from a GUN and Pawn shop. It's a BIG gun shop and a tiny pawn shop up front. There's always like 5 customers in there with 5 employees helping them. I was amazed at these paradigm's beauty just like the Boston's beauty.
    I went home and researched them and went right back and bought them! Man they were nice sounding too. :p Probably the best sounding bookies I've ever owned.
    ji8uddetnss7.png

I sold them during the time audio gear reselling prices was bottomed out. I sold my Studio 20s V3 for 180.00. :s Now they're priced around ( none on eBay for 1 pr. only now) ...so back years ago, I saw them for sale at 700.00 pr. I think they were. :'( And right now, I'd say they're worth 700.00 pr. too. ;)

They are definitely another set I SERIOUSLY regret selling! :'(

2 beautiful speaker sets sitting in pawn shops across the street from each other at the same time...Crazy good time shopping that week or month! :D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • CGTIIICGTIII Posts: 743
    I would ship the CS350 to one of you guys if he won't -- at my cost, of course. (Hopefully to someone who had an immediate use rather than hoarding it.)
    I'm frequently several miles from there with clients. Also <1 mile from a UPS regional customer center and <1 mile from a drugstore FedEx office.
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
  • Mike ReeterMike Reeter Posts: 3,996
    Good looking pair of 3.1TL's, not mine

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264294241313?ul_noapp=true
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's/SDA SRS 3.1TL's/SDA CRS+4.1TL's and some other stuff
  • TennManTennMan Posts: 1,107
    This looks like a pretty good deal if you're in the market for some SDA 1Cs.
    https://greenville.craigslist.org/ele/d/greenville-pics-upprice-downpolk-audio/6845617644.html
    SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat · Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 17,510
    TennMan wrote: »
    This looks like a pretty good deal if you're in the market for some SDA 1Cs.
    https://greenville.craigslist.org/ele/d/greenville-pics-upprice-downpolk-audio/6845617644.html

Need some love and they appear to be blade/blade.
  • JayMXJayMX Posts: 324
    Ratty SRT's for sale in Salt Lake City - no affiliation
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2127472480621640/
    2t5f5ja1r1ah.png
    Current Collection:
    Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 7b (Peerless) (2x pair), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), SDA CRS+ (SL2000), RTA12c (194's), SDA SRS 2 (SL2000), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s)

Repair pile: SRS 3.1TL (198’s), SDA CRS, (1) lonely RTA 11TL to become a center channel... someday...

Pairs that have passed through:
    Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (2x pair), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10c (3x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, SDA 2, SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2

...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 2,824
    Looks like their dog or cat got ahold of them. Bummer.
    Cambridge Audio 851N Streamer/DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    SDA 2s asking $300. (Upgraded tweeters?) No affiliation.
    https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ele/d/portland-polk-audio/6887043753.html

• audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 2,824
    Hey! $200 worth of RDO-194's and a pile of 6501's
    Cambridge Audio 851N Streamer/DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
  • pkquatpkquat Posts: 719
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Polk Monitor 5 Jr: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ele/d/san-ramon-polk-audio-monitor-5jr-2-way/6882807650.html - $140

Those are actually M5A's with the 8"PR. Check the PR's for cracking / splits. The rubber looks a little warped in spots so I may have gotten hard and cracked.

There appears to be mortite, so I think they have been opened. The tweeters do not have the "polk" hole that I could see, so I wonder if they have been replaced. I forget now if polk did use some without the hole. I remember a discussion on this a while back, but I think that was on the very early models. They at least appear to be actual peerless tweeters, not copies. One appears to have been slightly dented at one time.

They should still sound great. The PR is the biggest concern.
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 9,008
    Thanks for the info, but if I bring home another pair of speakers it'll be my nuts in a vice.
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, but if I bring home another pair of speakers it'll be my nuts in a vice.

Well, none of us wants to see that!

• verbverb Posts: 10,313
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cables, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
  • FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 3,858
    That's about double market value...
  • verbverb Posts: 10,313
    FestYboy wrote: »
    That's about double market value...

Good to know! Should've posted it in the "not a deal" thread! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cables, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    edited May 2019
    RTA-11T's popping up everywhere. These are nearby, not mine. $150, and “refoamed”...
    https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/56126630
    y5ped3osijmi.jpeg
    Current Collection:
    Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 7b (Peerless) (2x pair), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), SDA CRS+ (SL2000), RTA12c (194's), SDA SRS 2 (SL2000), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s)

Repair pile: SRS 3.1TL (198’s), SDA CRS, (1) lonely RTA 11TL to become a center channel... someday...

Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (2x pair), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10c (3x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, SDA 2, SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2

• pglbookpglbook Posts: 1,917
    edited May 2019
    Monitor 10As with peerlees tweeters..and original boxes and stands. North Adams, MA. $200. No affiliation. I already have 2 pair or would get them myself.

https://albany.craigslist.org/ele/d/north-adams-polk-studio-monitor-10a/6891732558.html

Polk Audio t90e Tower Speakers asking $225. Claims like new. No affiliation.
    https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/ele/d/canton-polk-audio-t90e-tower-speakers/6880762204.html

^Overpriced. They are basically Monitor 60s
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • dromundsdromunds Posts: 8,987
    Double what they should be
    That's only the asking price, not the selling price. It's yet to be determined. B)
    Yes, basically Monitor 60s, but better with real wood veneer... I hear...

CGTIII wrote: »
    That's only the asking price, not the selling price. It's yet to be determined. B)
    Yes, basically Monitor 60s, but better with real wood veneer... I hear...
    Not sure.... I had a pair that went to @daboyz and then @dromunds .... pretty sure they were vinyl...
  • dromundsdromunds Posts: 8,987
    I looked at my for sale thread from March 2014 which has some photos. I had mentioned in that thread that I understood the difference between the t90e and the Monitor 60 was the euro version had real wood veneer (because Euros wouldn’t buy a speaker that had vinyl) but I can’t tell from the photos. Sonically identical to Monitor 60.
  • ambiophonicsambiophonics Posts: 700
    Solid deal on some nice looking SDA-2B with what appears to be RDO-194 tweeters. No affiliation.

https://desmoines.craigslist.org/ele/d/grinnell-polk-sda-2b/6876577658.html
    2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Chromecast Audio (optical), Bugle II phono pre, Technics SL-1500 w/ M97XE, DIY Passive Preamp/Input selector
    Tempting... 2.3’s... but seems a little pricy...
    https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/56219771
    xe0vuls6pdct.jpeg
    Current Collection: