This joint needs some more vintage hifi

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited February 2013
    1961garrards.jpg

TNHNDYMAN is the Garrard an RC210 changer? If so, the manuals are available at:
    http://www.vinylengine.com/library/garrard/rc210.shtml

(free registration required to download and well worth the effort; a terrific resource)
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited February 2013
    Wow, Ken. You electronics skill never fail to impress me. You've worked on some amazing gear and always do an excellent job.

Mrh,
    Thanks for sharing the flyers. I swear man, the build quality back then is superior to the ones of similar price (including inflation) today.
  • TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    edited February 2013
    Thanks for the paint resize tip. I'll try again...

Space Tone Senator Console_small2.jpg
    Garrard 210 turntablesmall.jpg
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• scottyboy76
    scottyboy76 Posts: 2,905
    edited February 2013
    Dont you know someone was proud to get that stereo home.

Probably spent many hours lovin life listening to tunes.
    humpty dumpty was pushed
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited February 2013
    Hi TNHNDYMAN,
    The Garrard I worked on probably represents more of a historical milestone than a sonic one. There's just too much mechanical linkage connected to the tonearm for it to sound very good. Being a record changer there is a cam assembly attached to the platter which lifts the arm and places it on the beginning of the record and then lift it off at the end. The complete opposite of what a modern turntable/tonearm do now, eliminating any superfluous mechanism, even mechanical bearings to allow the phono cartridge to extract the smallest amounts of information. I've always compared what a turntable has to do to how a seismograph works. The seismograph has to detect extremely small vibrations in the earth and a record player has to do the same thing but from the surface of a record. If you were going to install a seismograph you wouldn't put it near a steel mill or a race track, right? Too many competing vibrations to give you any indications of what was happening in the earth. The same thing happens in a good turntable system, no competing vibrations from chattering bearings or arm linkage moving underneath the platter.
    But, this doesn't mean you shouldn't try and get your Garrard working. There should be an appreciation for classic audio manufacturers even though that particular model isn't on the "most significant" list. If you can take a photo or two of the underside of the chassis we can help with the wiring. You'll have a better understanding of what happens "under the hood".
    Cheers, Ken
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2013
    Interestingly, the Garrard 301 transcription table - also shown in the catalog page scan I posted - lies (arguably) at the other end of the spectrum and is still held in high regard by at least a segment of the vinyl-playing cognescenti...

DSC_5243.jpg

... and then there is this guy...

DSC_5838_zpsc660a526.jpg

Not mine (although it passed through en route to its new owner)... One of those is on my (thankfully, now fairly short) bucket list :-)

(in the meantime, I will be bringing a Rek-O-Kut 743 on-line in the not-too-distant future. Just need an arm and a "plinth"...)
  • TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    edited February 2013
    Nice pics MrH.

Thanks for the info Ken. I'll try to get some pics up later of the underside. I'll have to check but it's possible the turntable has no power supply in its chassis since it was getting power from the main unit. The would complicate things to the point of being more trouble than it's worth.
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• [Deleted User]
    edited February 2013
    I imagine Garrard, like most companies, designed products for different markets. At the time most people wanted convenience, so companies made turntables that all you had to do was put a stack of 45s or LPs on the spindle and push the "play" lever. The machine did the rest, dropping the record, moving the tonearm and changing to the next one when it was finished. Then all you need to do was flip the stack over to play the "B" sides. For radio stations, however, that wasn't important when they played a record, the DJ did all the work so much of the mechanism was eliminated in favor of ruggedness and low wow and flutter and rumble. The same thing has happened throughout audio's history, convenience trumps performance. It doesn't mean owners didn't enjoy their Garrard record changers (my first setup was a Garrard SL95 with a Shure M75) it just reflects on what was popular at the time and how it relates to what is available today.
    I don't suspect there's a power supply for the turntable, rather some switching done by the main unit when the system was turned off/on. Just my semi-educated guess.
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2013
    It is as Ken said.

All you need to know is what terminals underneath the turntable's chassis are "hot". You can probably trace the wires through the switch to the motor - and/or that service bulletin on the VinylEngine site ought to make it fairly clear.

Come to think of it, you do need to ensure that the turntable is set up for 120 VAC/60 Hz. Assuming it was sold in the US, it should be.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2013
    This link should provide lots of nostalgic interest, I know it kept me occupied for a while:
    http://reel2reeltexas.com/vinAd53.html#AmpCorp
    Enjoy, Ken
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    edited February 2013
    I still have an old Dual 1229 that I bought new in 72! Still in good shape too! Will this qualify as vintage?
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2013
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2013
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2013
    Not to interrupt myself :-) but I just saw this news at AK...

I just learned that the proprietor of the Radio Shack catalog archive site http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/ just brought a similar site on-line for the old Allied catalogs:

http://www.alliedcatalogs.com/catalogs_main.html

This is momentous news (at least as far as I am concerned). No affiliation (other than my own rather idiosyncratic enjoyment of vintage catalogs!).

Thought this group would like to know.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited February 2013
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Not to interrupt myself :-) but I just saw this news at AK...

I just learned that the proprietor of the Radio Shack catalog archive site http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/ just brought a similar site on-line for the old Allied catalogs:

http://www.alliedcatalogs.com/catalogs_main.html

This is momentous news (at least as far as I am concerned). No affiliation (other than my own rather idiosyncratic enjoyment of vintage catalogs!).

Thought this group would like to know.

That's pretty cool. I'm also a sucker for those old catalogs. Thanks for the link!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2013
    The Allied catalogs are excellent resources as they (IMO) carried a broader array of both consumer equipment and components than did R/S, and they did so for a longer time. The irony, of course, is that Allied's consumer electronics business, in effect, lost the war to Tandy (R/S) in 1971.
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2013
  • wkjeffers
    wkjeffers Posts: 139
    edited February 2013
    all pic's from your collection?
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2013
    past and present

"collection" makes the junk in my basement sound like it's something other than what it mostly is - junk ;-)

EDIT: most of the really nice stuff (e.g., the Garrard 301 and Thorens TD-124 a few posts above) are not mine; just stuff I lust after and photographed at some point in time :-)
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited February 2013
    The "sneezing radio" cracked me up ! :lol:

http://www.wimp.com/radiosneezed/
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2013
    Here's a photo of a really good condition Fisher 400-C stereo preamp. It needed a new on/off switch with is a little tricky since it is attached to the end of the volume control. It is connected to a rotating armature that is part of the volume control shaft. There isn't much room to maneuver so getting the old switch off required dismantling the front assembly. I also added a ground wire connection so more recent turntables could be grounded. Then I did a THD measurement and was impressed by how low the distortion was.
    Enjoy, Ken
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited February 2013
    Can't seem to load the second pic?

The first shot looks like something from Gilliam's Brazil, "have you upgraded your Duct work lately, Central Services can help!"

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2013
    Anyone else have a problem?
    I know what you mean about the "plumbing" look, in fact the complete assembly wasn't what I would call "neat-as-a-pin". More of the "dead bug" style as ham radio guys call a jumble. But, I do have to say any wiring that carried AC was run through a metal shield (you can see it in the photo) flexible tube. This is done on lab gear to isolate AC from the rest of the circuitry. I've thought of running copper tubing through a component and feeding the AC wires through. I don't know if the old style flexible tubing is still around.
  • ViperZ
    ViperZ Posts: 2,046
    edited February 2013
    Both pics work fine for me.
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    Carada 106" Precision Series (Classic Cinema White)
    Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
    Outlaw 770 7-channel amplifier
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
    JBL SP8CII in-ceiling height speakers
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 1100 RF remote with RF extender
    Sony XBR-X950G 55" 4K HDR Smart TV + PS3 in the living room
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,374
    edited February 2013
    2265b
    Marantz rack (2).jpg
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2013
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,374
    edited February 2013
    Thay be it. Sounds as good as it looks too.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • hertz9753
    hertz9753 Posts: 310
    edited February 2013
    I told this guy he should post over here. No luck so far.

http://www.overclock.net/t/458907/ocn-speaker-club/3020_20#post_19324662
    AVR-Onkyo TX-NR808
    Front amp-Adcom GFA 555>Polk Audio LSi9's(Vr3 Castle Mods)
    Center amp-Adcom GFA 5400>Polk Audio LSi9 bi-wired(Vr3 Castle Mod)
    Surrounds-Polk Audio F/X500's<Onkyo TX-NR808
    Sub-Velodyne SPL-1000R
  • Spriggs
    Spriggs Posts: 7
    edited March 2013
    hertz9753 wrote: »
    I told this guy he should post over here. No luck so far.

http://www.overclock.net/t/458907/ocn-speaker-club/3020_20#post_19324662

ive joined