This joint needs some more vintage hifi

Options

Comments

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I think the 2080 has an FM stage with MOSFET, but the first advertised RS with MOSFET power outputs for amplification was the STA-2200 below. I could be wrong, but the advertising seems to tout these transistors in the '81 catalog? It's the only receiver that year to list that whereas the 2080 and others mention FM MOSFETS? Again, not a hundred percent sure here?

eo45dg0ebwtj.jpg

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    Options
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Thanks for the comments! So the consensus is that the lighting scheme looks okay? I do like it, but I feel a little bad about it not looking original. The original bulbs on the dial used a blue coating to make them less yellow, but the meters used a transparent blue filter to accomplish the same thing. With the yellowing of the plastics from heat, warm white leds just made everything look kind of sick yellow-green. That's pretty much how the incandescent lamps looked, too, when I bought it, but I remember the lighting looking a lot "whiter" when these were new. As shown above, I just used regular "cool" white leds, one on each end of the dial and two per meter.

And the 2080 used regular BJT outputs, 2SD745 and 2SB705. It looks like it's pretty similar to the STA-2000 in layout and construction, but was made in Korea instead of Japan. Most people seem to think it sounds better than the STA-2000. I don't know, but it sounds real good to me.

Despite being built a few years after the "peak", that STA-860 is no slouch either. Advertised as 65wpc @8 ohms,20-20Khz 0.03%THD. I drove mine hard, even being a dumb teenager and doing "DIY" Dj gigs with it on multiple occasions driving 4 Ohm (probably lower) loads with no problems. I'm not really what I would call an audiophile but I have been exposed to some nice equipment and I've spent a lot of money in pursuit of higher end audio. And I don't regret any of that, but when I got this 860 and hooked it up for a listen it was kind of like "ahhhh!" Perhaps it's just because it's what I grew up with.. I got a chuckle out of it, actually. Now if I had a set of Mach One's to go with it....

Always thought those Proton amps were cool, too! Never heard one though.
    Post edited by jcaut on
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I think that LEDs are the way to go in relamping old stuff for several reasons -- heat and longevity being the primary ones. Generally speaking, I prefer the color of modern LEDs to the warm glow of incandescent.

Sorry I got my "what receivers had MOSFET outputs" all confuzzled and confusticated! :- p

It's neat that you've had the 860 since it was new!
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    Options
    Hard to argue about not being original when it looks that good.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • gmjungbluth
    Options
    Those Realistic receivers look great! I had an STA-790 that I absolutely loved.
    HT System:
    Marantz NR-1403
    Front: Klipsch CF-4
    Rear: Paradigm Atom V3
    Center: Boston Acoustic VR12
    Sub: Bowers & Wilkins ASW600

2Ch:
    Restored Fisher 500C
    Yamaha P-500 Turntable

Living Room:
    Harman Kardon 3380
    Restored Polk Monitor 7B

Bedroom:
    Harman Kardon VR-3750
    Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble
    Polk PSW10

In and out of rotation:
    KLH Model 6,
    Polk LSI7
    NAD 7100
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    edited October 2014
    Options
    s4ubcajkkxw2.jpg
    I really need to grab some photos.
    I've gone through a lot of stuff lately.
    Sold a kenwood kr-7600 and am about to sell the Marantz 1150.
    ill will have the au-999 and a pioneer sa-610.
    yiiq9iysvjjz.jpeg
    tjqts3v8xl0n.jpg
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,453
    Options
    BIC FM-10 directable q7fod54vfbsp.jpg
    ds3izfjcczu2.jpg
    yni6bqu8yre5.jpg
    antenna
    Randy/Maine
  • cnh
    Options
    Never seen one of those, Randy. Does it work? Are you using it for FM on the Yamaha receiver?

This page is getting difficult to scroll down. I'm going to add a post or two to turn it?

cnh

• cnh
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Boston A100s: the Large Advent Killer? Well, at least a good cheap all around 10" two way that seems to do well with most gear? Shove them against a wall and turn it up! lol

c7er6t579fnn.jpg

cnh

• cnh
    Options
    Still on the SAME page??

How about my first CD changer? The JVC XL-F 254.

e4d2g94aq21p.jpg

cnh

• cnh
    Options
    Here's a nice piece for RS Minimus 7s that's in the fold:

ly08h2peo3dj.jpg

The STA-11, later followed by the digital tuner version STA-111.

cnh

• cnh
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Seriously?

My cheapo basement RS TT (LAB 395). At least the old SHURE cartridges are pleasing to my ears.

36lbudfcxz60.jpg

cnh

• cnh
    Options
    I give up!

• boston1450
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    Never seen one of those, Randy. Does it work? Are you using it for FM on the Yamaha receiver?

This page is getting difficult to scroll down. I'm going to add a post or two to turn it?

cnh
    . Yes Cnh. I hooked it up to the CR1000 & it pulls in channels well. Not bad for 10 buck Goodwill find

Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    Options
    Boston A100s: the Large Advent Killer? Well, at least a good cheap all around 10" two way that seems to do well with most gear? Shove them against a wall and turn it up! lol

c7er6t579fnn.jpg

cnh
    Are those original surrounds - or someone did a nice job replacing them ? I always loved the sound of BA's

Randy/Maine
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Thank you, boys, for picking up the gauntlet and/or carrying the torch (and/or mixing the metaphor)!

;- )
    -
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2014
    Options
    cnh, I see your point-- the photos load kinda slow, don't they? Time for some more aimless text.

maybe some sad news from Lincoln Center/NYC..
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/14/arts/music/lincoln-center-to-rename-avery-fisher-hall.html?ref=nyregion&_r=0

• cnh
    edited November 2014
    Options
    That is disturbing news. I spent a considerable amount of time in that venue when I lived in NYC. And I was hoping that my daughter (who will start college this coming year) would also have that experience-she'll probably be a double major (music and Psych. either in the Boston area or NYC or Philadelphia-her choice).

It would be nice if Philanthropy would come with NO names attached, or "detached" in this case. What's wrong with a little "anonymity" in "giving"-it won't hurt the tax breaks-after all?

cnh

• cnh
    edited November 2014
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »

cnh
    . Yes Cnh. I hooked it up to the CR1000 & it pulls in channels well. Not bad for 10 buck Goodwill find

The surrounds were redone. I got them from a guy near Joe a few years ago. I suspect Pete refoamed them? Still came in just under 3 Jackson's to me. Worth it.

Have a NAD integrated and an HK CDP driving them. Perfect combo!

cnh

• mhardy6647
    Options
    Apropos of (seriously) nothing -- other than the fact I just saw these photos in Flikr... this is a Kenwood KR-4200 (long gone).

11817468064_067c36fa38_o.jpgP1000513 by mhardy6647, on Flickr
    11817049865_22992ce6cb_o.jpgP1000515 by mhardy6647, on Flickr
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    You guys have some nice stuff!!
    Me, not that Marantz with "blue lights" yet.. :(
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    my small but sincere Superscope-era Marantz receiver collection -- I do have a few... but I am not a fan; they're just not great sounding receivers relative to my expectations.

14815716390_34aebd4c3e_b.jpgDSC_9835 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

The one Superscope-era Marantz receiver I'd like to snag, based on the opinions of others, is a 2270. There was one at NEAR-Fest last month -- in a walnut factory cabinet and its original box... I didn't even ask the price...

I also have a couple of 1060 integrated amps that I need to restore some day.
  • boston1450
    Options
    j597hqys47ai.jpg
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    Options
    4cz9d17529dx.jpg
    Randy/Maine
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    My poor RT-909 is due for its thirty-five year reahb... gotta get round to that someday...
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,520
    edited November 2014
    Options
    p44zeg6zyvv3.jpg

Top to Bottom
    Marantz 1040 ~ the balance slide is snapped off but still works
    Marantz 1060
    Matrantz PM-52

I do like the vintage Marantz but I'm a bigger fan of Sansui gear.
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • boston1450
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    My poor RT-909 is due for its thirty-five year reahb... gotta get round to that someday...
    . Just got this one reHab'd. New rollers/Belt complete overhaul by Electronics & More Windham Maine. He said it was very clean inside. He said i should buff out the black casing-which i will do in spring. He did a outstanding job. Had a custom fit cover made for it by DigitalDeckCover to my specs. Came out very nice. This unit was used on one reel & came with 3-4 others in boxes. So im looking forward to recording when i get the time. I hooked it to the Denon but it didnt sound good. Not sure if preamp liked it. Made the SDA's act weird & that never has been a issue when i hooked it to Adcom. So today i hooked it to the CR1000 & it sounded very nice & listened to it for a solid hour-1/2. But i will keep it with the Yammy or downstairs with the Marantz switch out

Randy/Maine