Options
123457»

Comments

• audio_alan
    audio_alan Posts: 770
    edited June 2011
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    The only reasons I don't use them regularly is because I was rolling quite a few tubes lately and I'm lazy and, the dampers I use tend to scrape the lettering off the tubes, that's the main reason. Too many times on and off and the labels are gone, especially on Telefunkens. If you get a TFK and the lettering is robust and hard to scrape off, it's almost always a fake. TFK's usually have delicate lettering that easily rubs off.

H9

Ok, I see. Good to know about the lettering on the Telefunkens. What brand of tube dampers are you using, H9?

Keiko - Have you had any problem with removing lettering with your UltraSonic 9's? I would think the way they roll on/off should be gentle enough, but maybe the lettering is more fragile than I think...
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited July 2011
    Options
    hot swapping eh?

I received a pair from Rich too,,handy little jobbies too.
    Thank you Rich.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • george daniel
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Guys,, I cannot tell you how happy I am with the Bendix 6106 and the Sylvania's (5965) in the Dared,,the only other thing I've done is to replace the input caps with those Russian caps,,I'll document everything when the Obligatto's arrive,, it seems that the synergy so far is very very good,,partially due to luck and Brock & Kieko's push in the right direction.Stay tuned,,and if I've inadvertently thread crapped,I apologize in advance.I will now start the "official" Dared Sl2000 modification thread,,and would appreciate some participation/input from ya'll.

Thank you kindly :smile:
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,091
    edited July 2011
    Options
    George, I'm glad you are enjoying the Dared and I'm glad I could help out with some recommendations. I really, really like this unit and when I first bought it, I never thought it would be a keeper.

Looking forward to the modification thread but I am a little confused. When you say "input caps" are you talking about the (4) Yellow Carli caps or are you talking where the Auricaps would be in a unit like mine?

Dared004.jpg
    Dared005.jpg
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • george daniel
    edited July 2011
    Options
    So far the ones I've replaced are in the spot that your Auricaps are,,I used some Russian PIO that I had laying around--mine were so large they had to be mounted to the inside of the chassis--I'll start the thread this w/e--so yes to the question.The obligattos will replace the 4 yellow caps in your pic.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,353
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Thank you Rich.

You're welcome! I was anal handling tubes...no fingerprints allowed, don't touch the lettering or the pins. My gloves collect dust now. I be gear esoteric fini......I will roll tubes no more.:biggrin:
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • george daniel
    edited July 2011
    Options
    nope-- same ones as you have--and I was thinking about picking up another pair too--the synergy with the Bendix is off the charts good.
  • george daniel
    edited July 2011
    Options
    gotcha',, pm received-- inquiry sent.
    Thanks ,,Mike
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,938
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Brent Jesse has these right for sale right now.

http://www.audiotubes.com/12at7.htm

Ordered!!! LOL!!!
  • heiney9
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Ordered!!! LOL!!!

Cool! Pick up some GE 6829's from him while you're at it............see my post in the Dared Mod thread.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Toolfan66
    edited September 2011
    Options
    What about another Rectifier tube? does he have those?? I would like one more of those.. And with what your sending me that should get me ROLLING!!! :cool:
  • heiney9
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Which rectifier Larry?

There are two you simply must have besides the Bendix 6106 I'm sending. The RCA 3 mica bp's I'm sending also have a different tone than the TFK's you just bought. You need to get yourself some Hamburg made Valvo's (ECC81's) for sure. With all that you should be set to get rolling.............:cool::wink: Most Valvo's aren't from Hamburg, they are rare so I can help you if find some you want to purchase. Again, not available stateside very often. I get them from Germany usually.

I'll PM you some sources for the other rectifiers. The thing is with the old rectifiers you need to get them when available, becuase many times you won't see them FS again for awhile. Most dealers don't carry the 5Z4 rectifier and the ones they have are junk in almost all instances.

I've bought from Sweden and Greece to get these rectifiers. Very hard to find to impossible stateside.

H9
  • Toolfan66
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Thanks!!!! Yep keep me informed as I want a couple more!!
  • audio_alan
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Which rectifier Larry?

... You need to get yourself some Hamburg made Valvo's (ECC81's) for sure. With all that you should be set to get rolling.............:cool::wink: Most Valvo's aren't from Hamburg, they are rare so I can help you if find some you want to purchase. Again, not available stateside very often. I get them from Germany usually.

H9

I'll second H9's suggestion on the Hamburg Valvo's. With his help I scored a pair of them a few months ago. In fact, Larry, I think you might have heard them in my Dared when you came over to my house. I can't remember though, because I was a tube rollin' fool at that time. I roll tubes less often now that I have a few pairs that I really like...

I still need to try the Bendix 6106's.
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Thanks, H9 for this Telefunken 5965 rec. Drank from the cup today and it goes down smooooth. Top to bottom near-perfection.

One thing I had noticed with a couple other tube combos that I really like was that they do LF bass tones/thumps/beats and anything acoustic, regardless of frequency, remarkably well, but were a tad murky-warm on electronically generated tones in the midrange. Not offensive; and I often like the slightly more aggressive bass they provide. But these TFKs just do it ALL well with balance, clarity and sweetness that is sublime.

Thanks for sharing your find here.

Craig
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • heiney9
    edited April 2012
    Options
    *bump*

Had to bump this to add another sleeper tube to the list for the Dared SL2000A.

Not a holy grail tube, but an inexpensive tube that sounds wonderful. A wolf in sheeps clothing.

IBM stamped (for computer use, made by GE) -1959/60 - 5965 long gray plate w/large halo getter. Got these on the cheap knowing ahead of time they were made by GE. Came in original IBM boxes with IBM computer part number, NOS.

Not quite as fat sounding as the early Sylvania black plate 5965's, but these have a wonderful midrange, tight bottom end and sparkly highs with really nice air. And they are relatively cheap too.

Go get 'em.

H9
  • PreCd
    PreCd Posts: 786
    edited April 2012
    Options
    So glad you bumped this thread to the top with the recommendation. As you know I am contemplating a inexpensive tube preamp and one of these days I am just going to cave in and get the Dared......
    SDA2BTL
    Marantz CD5004
    Adcom GFA-545
    Bottlehead Quickie Tube Preamp
  • audio_alan
    edited April 2012
    Options
    PreCd wrote: »
    So glad you bumped this thread to the top with the recommendation. As you know I am contemplating a inexpensive tube preamp and one of these days I am just going to cave in and get the Dared......

Do it, you won't regret it! As H9 has said, and others can attest too, that little unit really responds to tube rolling. But be warned, you should probably be prepared to spend some extra cash on multiple sets of tubes... it's addicting!
  • COtubeguy
    COtubeguy Posts: 2
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Hi all - Started reading this thread just prior to my ordering a new SL-2000A from Joe - Lots of useful information in these pages. Loving the preamp after upgrading the rectifier & 12AT7 tubes to carefully chosen NOS types, and now driving a pair of digital mono amps into Magnepan 1.6 speakers. (Matter of fact, the rectifier I settled on is a wonderful improvement over the stock tube, and very affordable. Thanks again for all of your insights and sharing your experiences on enhancement recommendations :-)
    There has been an increase, at an alarming rate, in the number of things I know nothing about...
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Sorry COtubeguy, but you're in violation of forum rules with your post. Buying/Selling is restricted to the flea market section, which has a minimum post requirement. You're not permitted to buy/sell in Club Polk until you've reached 100 posts.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • COtubeguy
    COtubeguy Posts: 2
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Ok - Got it, thanks - My post wasn't meant to contain any solicitation, just a joining of the fray :-)
    There has been an increase, at an alarming rate, in the number of things I know nothing about...