Fall 2010 San Diego Polkie Gathering

Options

Comments

• dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,056
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Hmmmm.....two days of great people, gear, tunes and food. What could be better? :D

I'd love to hear your Marantz Pearl just to compare it with my SA-15S2 but I know what they weigh/cost so I'll leave it up to you to decide if you're willing to transport it.

Having another set of the MIT Shotgun IC's would be helpful for multi-CDP comparisons.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • mole'
    mole' Posts: 3,160
    edited October 2010
    Options
    gonna be fun
    mole'
  • Norm Apter
    Norm Apter Posts: 1,036
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Well guys, I'm really looking forward to getting your honest opinion on how the modded Lsi9s sound to your ears. Here's why: I had been thinking that next year and the year after, my next upgrade combo would be a better/more powerful SS amp and a tube pre, while keeping the Lsi9s. I floated this idea on a different forum, asking for suggestions on possible SS amps and tube preamps to consider, listing all of my gear in the original post.

To my surprise, a good number of people (over half) so far have said that they think that my speakers are the weakest link in the chain and that for now I should keep both Parasound Halo pieces and first go for better speakers. To me, the Lsi9s sound much better than before the mod and that the Parasound stuff are the weaker links, but I guess its all relative. Of course those are just opinions (and I have no idea if those with that stance have actually heard Lsi9s, much less modded ones) but nevertheless I've been surprised by how many people have come to that conclusion. Thus I'll be very interested in getting each of your honest opinion.

Doug -- I forgot which two-channel amp model you have (was it Anthem?). I just wanted to check and make sure that it is 4-ohm stable/compatible. Or at the very least if there will be an amp on hand that is 4-ohm stable?

(I suppose if I were really ambitious I could tote along the Parasound amp and pre as well, but that would be quite a lot of gear to bring)
    2 Ch.
    Parasound Halo A23 Amp
    Parasound Halo P3 Preamp
    Parasound Halo T3 Tuner
    Bada HD22SE tube CD Player
    Magnum Dynalab Signal Sleuth
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 antenna
    polkaudio Lsi9s (upgraded cross-overs)
    MIT Shotgun S-3 Bi-wire Interface Speaker Cables
    MIT Shotgun S-3 Interconnects (3)
    IegO L70530 Power cords (3)

HT
    Denon 2808ci AVR
    polkaudio RTi A5s (fronts)
    polkaudio RTi A1s (rears)
    polkaudio Csi A6 (center)
    Signal Cable Ultra Speaker Cables
    Signal Cable Analog II Interconnects
  • dpowell
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Norm,
    There's probably only one way to find out what the best path forward is....bring the speakers and the two Parasound amps. :D

My suggestion is that since I have a tube preamp and a tube power amp (4 ohm capable - the SDA 1C's are 4Ohms), you can try all four combos:

Parasound Pre/Power, LSi9's
    Tubed Pre, parasound Halo power amp, LSi9's
    Parasound Pre, Tubed Power amp, LSi9's
    Tubed Pre/Power, LSi9's

Plus, I'd like to hear your Halo A21 (I believe?) replace one of the Parasound non-halo's on the SRT's to see if there is a noticeable difference (I have my eyes long-term on a Halo a51).

Totally up to you as that is a lot of gear to bring but it would make for a very interesting comparisson.

BTW, the Amp models are Anthem Pre2L and Anthem Amp 1.

doug

PS, if you don't want to bring the Halo power amp, I can always pull a Parasound HCA 1200II from the SRT system to power your LSi's. It is a 2 channel 205w @8 ohms and 315w @ 4 ohms.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • Norm Apter
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Sounds great, Doug.

Well, we don't this every week or anything so I think it might be worth hauling everything along with me. I would love to try the different combinations you mentioned above and get everybody's opinions (it also might help me identify my weakest link). My original plan is/was to eventually move on to a better, more powerful SS amp and a tube pre. So I'd definately love to see how throwing the tube amp/ pre into the mix changes things.

Just one note...my amp is the A21's little brother, the A23. Its less powerful (125 w @ 8 ohms, 200 w @ 4ohms) but it, along with the P3 preamp, might give you some sense of how the Halo line sounds with your other gear (source and speakers).
    2 Ch.
    Parasound Halo A23 Amp
    Parasound Halo P3 Preamp
    Parasound Halo T3 Tuner

HT
    Denon 2808ci AVR
  • dpowell
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Cool! I might even power the SDA's with the Parasound SS amp just for fun to see how they sound.

• dpowell
    edited October 2010
    Options
    mole' wrote: »
    LMK the final count of how many will be there. ill see about getting some steaks. (maybe Ribeye) i have a buddy that works at a meat shop still in SD

mole', currently 10 people attending including myself (1 of those tentative based on potential last minute work shift changes). I have 3rd and final pings out to 2 other forum members who have not responded yet.

• kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited October 2010
    Options
    My cousin might tag along, the one that was supposed to come with during the last gathering.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • dpowell
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Make it 11 steaks Mole'!

• edoggrc51
    edoggrc51 Posts: 584
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Put me down for a porterhouse brotha! ;)
    Denon 4311ci
    MINIdsp OPEN-DRC
    XPR-5
    LS6 Line Arrays
    LS-C Center Channel
    A/V-1RS Surounds
    Quad DIY LMS Ultra subs (powered by dual IPR-7500 amps)
    Panny AE-8000u
    2:35 110in Screen
    Oppo BDP-103
    Belkin PF60
    Harmony ONE

2ch: Emotiva Stealth 8's, Airport Express
  • kawizx9r
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I'd like my steak rare, pretty much right off the animal, on the grill for 5 seconds and to the plate :D
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• mole'
    edited October 2010
    Options
    dpowell wrote: »
    mole', currently 10 people attending including myself (1 of those tentative based on potential last minute work shift changes). I have 3rd and final pings out to 2 other forum members who have not responded yet.

:D
    kawizx9r wrote: »
    My cousin might tag along, the one that was supposed to come with during the last gathering.

:D male or female? lol
    Make it 11 steaks Mole'!

ill get 12
    edoggrc51 wrote: »
    Put me down for a porterhouse brotha! ;)

hmmmmmmm
    I'd like my steak rare, pretty much right off the animal, on the grill for 5 seconds and to the plate :D

ewwwwwww, i like my burnt
    mole'
  • kawizx9r
    edited October 2010
    Options
    :D male or female? lol

LOL

Male, he's my age. An electrical engineer out of UCD but kind of new into the audio thing.
    ewwwwwww, i like my burnt

Ewwwww that's just nasty :p
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• Steelo
    Steelo Posts: 69
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Norm,
    There's probably only one way to find out what the best path forward is....bring the speakers and the two Parasound amps. :D

My suggestion is that since I have a tube preamp and a tube power amp (4 ohm capable - the SDA 1C's are 4Ohms), you can try all four combos:

Parasound Pre/Power, LSi9's
    Tubed Pre, parasound Halo power amp, LSi9's
    Parasound Pre, Tubed Power amp, LSi9's
    Tubed Pre/Power, LSi9's

Plus, I'd like to hear your Halo A21 (I believe?) replace one of the Parasound non-halo's on the SRT's to see if there is a noticeable difference (I have my eyes long-term on a Halo a51).

Totally up to you as that is a lot of gear to bring but it would make for a very interesting comparisson.

BTW, the Amp models are Anthem Pre2L and Anthem Amp 1.

doug

PS, if you don't want to bring the Halo power amp, I can always pull a Parasound HCA 1200II from the SRT system to power your LSi's. It is a 2 channel 205w @8 ohms and 315w @ 4 ohms.

If you guys want I could bring my Parasound 2205a.
    I recently purchased it off Audiogon and haven't had a chance to properly test it since my HT room is under construction now.
    I would love to hear what it could do with dpowell's SRTs. :)

Oh.....& I might bring my brother-in-law. He & I are tech and gear heads so he would probably enjoy the display of audio gear that will be at the meet.

I could bring drinks.....beer or soda or both......let me know.

Reece
  • mole'
    edited October 2010
    Options

Ewwwww that's just nasty :p

:rolleyes:
    mole'
  • dpowell
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Reece,
    You're more than welcome to bring your bro-in-law, the amp and some drinks! Looks like the Parasound you have has very similar specs to mine. In 8ohm mode the 2205a is 15wpc more than mine but in 4ohm mode, it is 15wpc less? Not sure I understand it. I'm running the SRT's @ 4ohms and the SRT center at 8ohms.

doug

• mole'
    edited October 2010
    Options
    how does my Adcom GFA-5802 stack up to your big box amps? im using it for my 2.3TL's
    mole'
  • dpowell
    edited October 2010
    Options
    The 5802 is a powerhouse amp. I had an Adcom GFA-7500 for awhile and it sounded good but too bright for my taste on the Polks. You're more than welcome to bring it along. It would be interesting to hear the differences between it and the tube amp on my SDA 1C's. I warn you though that you might just get bit by the tube bug. :D

• dpowell
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Do we have anyone bringing speakers?

• mole'
    edited October 2010
    Options
    The 5802 is a powerhouse amp. I had an Adcom GFA-7500 for awhile and it sounded good but too bright for my taste on the Polks. You're more than welcome to bring it along. It would be interesting to hear the differences between it and the tube amp on my SDA 1C's. I warn you though that you might just get bit by the tube bug. :D

ok, ill bring it

i already know this meet is gonna be bad for my bank account
    mole'
  • mole'
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Do we have anyone bringing speakers?

only thing i have thats big baller status is my 2.3TL's and they are big

i could bring them tho.
    mole'
  • dpowell
    edited October 2010
    Options

i already know this meet is gonna be bad for my bank account

That's what friends are for! :D

• dpowell
    edited October 2010
    Options

i could bring them tho.

....so you want to give me the SDA upgrade bug don't you!:eek::p

• Norm Apter
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Mole' and Reece: I'd love it if you guys are willing to bring your amps. Would love to give them a try on my speaks. (Doug noted that he has a similar Parasaound amp but -- Doug can correct me if I am wrong -- its in his HT system so this way we wouldn't have to trouble him to take it out of that system and put into our 2 channel area).
    2 Ch.
    Parasound Halo A23 Amp
    Parasound Halo P3 Preamp
    Parasound Halo T3 Tuner

HT
    Denon 2808ci AVR
  • dpowell
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Norm Apter wrote: »
    (Doug noted that he has a similar Parasaound amp but -- Doug can correct me if I am wrong -- its in his HT system so this way we wouldn't have to trouble him to take it out of that system and put into our 2 channel area).

yep, they are rack mounted at the moment so if we had another parasound, that would eliminate the need to mess with mine.

• dpowell
    edited October 2010
    Options

i could bring them tho.

Hey Mole', have you modded your 2.3's yet?

• dpowell
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Here is the equipment list I have so far. Items with question marks are things that have been offered but not confirmed. Please keep adding if you want. Also, it would be great for people to bring music and concert DVD's so that we have good source material to demo. I've collected a few CD's that I liked from the previous meet (thanks to Erik Tracy) which will help in the CDP shootout.

Preamp

dpowell Anthem Pre2L
    norm apter Parasound P3

AMP
    dpowell Anthem Amp 1
    Mole' Adcom GFA-5802
    norm apter Parasound A23
    Steelo Parasound 2205a

CDP
    dpowell Marantz S15-S2
    dpowell Oppo BDP-83
    Erik Tracy ? ???Marantz SA-KI Pearl
    kawizx9r Pioneer

IC's

dpowell MIT Terminator 2
    Erik Tracy AQ Columbia
    Erik Tracy AQ King Cobras
    Mole' AQ King Cobras
    norm apter MIT Shotgun S3

Power Cables

dpowell Signal Cable Magic
    norm apter IEGO

Speaker Cable

dpowell MIT Terminator 2
    dpowell Goertz Flatwire (SRT's)
    norm apter MIT Shotgun S3

Speakers

dpowell SDA 1C modded
    dpowell SRT
    Mole' ????2.3TL
    norm apter LSi9 modded

Feel free to add more to the list!

• edoggrc51
    edoggrc51 Posts: 584
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Id be willing to bring anything you see in my sig. I know its not much, but let me know. :)
    Denon 4311ci
    MINIdsp OPEN-DRC
    XPR-5
    LS6 Line Arrays
    LS-C Center Channel
    A/V-1RS Surounds
    Quad DIY LMS Ultra subs (powered by dual IPR-7500 amps)
    Panny AE-8000u
    2:35 110in Screen
    Oppo BDP-103
    Belkin PF60
    Harmony ONE

2ch: Emotiva Stealth 8's, Airport Express
  • mole'
    edited October 2010
    Options
    ....so you want to give me the SDA upgrade bug don't you!:eek::p

:D
    Norm Apter wrote: »
    Mole' and Reece: I'd love it if you guys are willing to bring your amps. Would love to give them a try on my speaks. (Doug noted that he has a similar Parasaound amp but -- Doug can correct me if I am wrong -- its in his HT system so this way we wouldn't have to trouble him to take it out of that system and put into our 2 channel area).

will do, i wanna see what it will do against other amps
    Hey Mole', have you modded your 2.3's yet?

NOT YET!!!!

i have a set of rings from Larry already. i have not had the time to install them yet. i was talking with face about doing my XOs.
    mole'
  • mole'
    edited October 2010
    Options
    edoggrc51 wrote: »
    Id be willing to bring anything you see in my sig. I know its not much, but let me know. :)

ya me too. but not the EPIK! that thing is HEAVY!!!!
    mole'