This is sad

Options

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,846
    Options
    Good afternoon Forum Members, sorry it took so long to reach back out to you. My name is Ken and I work in Customer Service at Polk Audio. I would like to reach out and be an olive branch between the Forum and the employees here at Sound United. We do appreciate and thank you for your continued support of Polk Audio in all our endeavors.

The head of Marketing is still well aware of the forum and the daily discussions here. We spoke and there was no purposeful slight to the forum, however, the goal of this particular email was to inform the novice of how to set up speakers.

As for the suggested sites for consumers to reference, we wanted to offer up a mix of credible third party resources. While the forum is credible, it is (like the Polkies that inhabit it) fairly advanced in product knowledge and enthusiasm. For someone that might be entering the brand for the first time or updating from a sound bar to component speakers, it could be a very intimidating experience. With that being said, we love the enthusiasm for the brand on the forum and would like to harness this in a positive way. And would like to prepare future email tips from the actual forum to get general customers excited about engaging in it.

Please send suggestions or the tips you’d like to suggest, both general and Polk related and we’ll feature you (screen name) in the email. We’re all enthusiasts about the Polk brand and the speakers we make, our collective goal is to grow our fans and most importantly audio enthusiasts!

You can send the suggestions to myself at ken.carter@soundunited.com. If anyone has questions feel free to send them my way too.

We are looking forward to the feedback and response's from everyone.

Thank you!

-Ken

Ken,

Thank you for taking the time to address the collective. It's nice to know someone is still listening to us.

Regards,
    Jesse
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,765
    Options
    They say a pic is worth a thousand words.....pics like these are worth more than a thousand.

f73jvu6dr5lz.jpg

These ads left a lasting impression on me when I was younger...I had to have a pair of SDA's...or Polks for that matter. The pursuit still hasn't stopped even though I found a couple pairs.

The white lab coat, the whole deal....the "empire" if you will. Hopefully Polk can realize the roots of their product.

Those roots extend into the forums, I wouldn't be where I am with my polks without the forum. Support forums are a big deal IMO, and Polk has a very active support forum with what seems to be lacking in recognition within their home.

• F1nut
    Options
    The forum didn't exist back then.....HELLO!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    gmcman wrote: »
    They say a pic is worth a thousand words.....pics like these are worth more than a thousand.

f73jvu6dr5lz.jpg

These ads left a lasting impression on me when I was younger...I had to have a pair of SDA's...or Polks for that matter. The pursuit still hasn't stopped even though I found a couple pairs.

The white lab coat, the whole deal....the "empire" if you will. Hopefully Polk can realize the roots of their product.

Those roots extend into the forums, I wouldn't be where I am with my polks without the forum. Support forums are a big deal IMO, and Polk has a very active support forum with what seems to be lacking in recognition within their home.

What? No Mention of the Polk Audio Forum in that ad! How dare they snub the Polk Audio Forum! (or we might say, 9 pages of this thread dedicated to beetching about absolutely nothing and making Mount Everest out of the smallest of non-existent mole hills).

And you're posting in it for what purpose???

:o
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,908
    Options
    Good afternoon Forum Members, sorry it took so long to reach back out to you. My name is Ken and I work in Customer Service at Polk Audio. I would like to reach out and be an olive branch between the Forum and the employees here at Sound United. We do appreciate and thank you for your continued support of Polk Audio in all our endeavors.

The head of Marketing is still well aware of the forum and the daily discussions here. We spoke and there was no purposeful slight to the forum, however, the goal of this particular email was to inform the novice of how to set up speakers.

As for the suggested sites for consumers to reference, we wanted to offer up a mix of credible third party resources. While the forum is credible, it is (like the Polkies that inhabit it) fairly advanced in product knowledge and enthusiasm. For someone that might be entering the brand for the first time or updating from a sound bar to component speakers, it could be a very intimidating experience. With that being said, we love the enthusiasm for the brand on the forum and would like to harness this in a positive way. And would like to prepare future email tips from the actual forum to get general customers excited about engaging in it.

Please send suggestions or the tips you’d like to suggest, both general and Polk related and we’ll feature you (screen name) in the email. We’re all enthusiasts about the Polk brand and the speakers we make, our collective goal is to grow our fans and most importantly audio enthusiasts!

You can send the suggestions to myself at ken.carter@soundunited.com. If anyone has questions feel free to send them my way too.

We are looking forward to the feedback and response's from everyone.

Thank you!

-Ken

Inform the novice how to set up speakers ? Uh.....right here.

Intimidating experience ? If you consider every customer a snowflake, then life in general is an intimidating experience no matter what forum you suggest. I've personally not noticed anything of the sorts when it comes to soundbars, or moving up from them. We do however like to inform people of ALL their options, and sometimes because they are novices, they are unaware of those options. The novice also have grand ideas, but know little about what works together, what sounds good together. We like to avoid the customer blaming Polk speakers if they are experiencing bad sound. In these cases it takes some detective work, questions, solutions....otherwise the Polk brand takes a hit in their mind and they move on to another brand.

If you want to get future customers excited about engaging in the forum, here's a tip.....mention the forum in your advertising. Just sayin'....

I do appreciate you taking the time to respond to this. Polk's customer service has always been a crowning achievement. One that should have it's horn tooted along with the faceless people who make it up.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Rick88 wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    The forum didn't exist back then.....HELLO!

Or the internet... :D

Yeah Al Gore hadn't invented it yet.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    vmaxer wrote: »
    gmcman wrote: »

f73jvu6dr5lz.jpg

What? No Mention of the Polk Audio Forum in that ad! How dare they snub the Polk Audio Forum! (or we might say, 9 pages of this thread dedicated to beetching about absolutely nothing and making Mount Everest out of the smallest of non-existent mole hills).

And you're posting in it for what purpose???

:o

I have posted several times in this thread and fully explained my viewpoint. You are free to read my comments that began at page 1 of this thread. If they are not clear to you, please be welcome to let me know and I'll see what I can do to clarify.

Best regards,

DuB

I have, same question.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AR6eXWNJzoY
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    I can understand why they did it. We are more of a "What speakers, gear should I get?" Rather than a "How do I set up my gear kind of a board."

I partially agree. This forum offers a lot of setup advice, but it is heavily oriented toward audiophile two channel systems, which the majority of Polk's customers are not interested in.

Conversely, a home theater built around a receiver is not a system most of the active members of this board are interested in.

How many times has someone stopped here asking for advice on receivers and they get twenty recommendations for a separate amp and preamp or a receiver with pre-outs for future upgrading at the very least?

So yeah, I would understand why an ad advising people to research the right receiver would not point to this forum.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Gatecrasher
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I can understand why they did it. We are more of a "What speakers, gear should I get?" Rather than a "How do I set up my gear kind of a board."

I partially agree. This forum offers a lot of setup advice, but it is heavily oriented toward audiophile two channel systems, which the majority of Polk's customers are not interested in.

Conversely, a home theater built around a receiver is not a system most of the active members of this board are interested in.

How many times has someone stopped here asking for advice on receivers and they get twenty recommendations for a separate amp and preamp or a receiver with pre-outs for future upgrading at the very least?

So yeah, I would understand why an ad advising people to research the right receiver would not point to this forum.

I agree with you but a receiver is more useful for a home theater system than it is for one that is purely audio. Not everyone on here wants only tube amps and vinyl records either although there is nothing wrong with that. The best-sounding systems I've ever heard used tube amps.

AV Receivers have come a long way in just the last 10-15 years though. Some of the people on here who always seem to be talking down other member's AVRs probably haven't owned a receiver since the 70s. I know I was surprised when I started shopping around for new one a few years ago.

I think some of the more opinionated commenters on here who like to trash modern receivers might want to be a little more objective and do some first-hand research before they turn their noses up and parrot the old separates are always better than receivers mantra. A lot of today's receivers are pretty-impressive and can hold their own against similarly-priced separates in both environments.

I hear what you are saying about getting one with pre-outs though. Most respectable models do have them now days. It's nice to have as much flexibility as possible with a piece of equipment. Especially one that is a significant investment.

That's the kind of constructive advice that we should be giving people. Give them both the positives and negatives.
  • Gatecrasher
    Options

Dude, it is way too early for Cow a Bunga (well, maybe not for my relatives in Lake Elsinore).

Did you watch the entire video? It has a surprise ending.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options

I agree with you but a receiver is more useful for a home theater system than it is for one that is purely audio. Not everyone on here wants only tube amps and vinyl records either although there is nothing wrong with that. The best-sounding systems I've ever heard used tube amps.

AV Receivers have come a long way in just the last 10-15 years though. Some of the people on here who always seem to be talking down other member's AVRs probably haven't owned a receiver since the 70s. I know I was surprised when I started shopping around for new one a few years ago.

I think some of the more opinionated commenters on here who like to trash modern receivers might want to be a little more objective and do some first-hand research before they turn their noses up and parrot the old separates are always better than receivers mantra. A lot of today's receivers are pretty-impressive and can hold their own against similarly-priced separates in both environments.

I hear what you are saying about getting one with pre-outs though. Most respectable models do have them now days. It's nice to have as much flexibility as possible with a piece of equipment. Especially one that is a significant investment.

That's the kind of constructive advice that we should be giving people. Give them both the positives and negatives.

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Seems to me the majority of the people here try to give good advise on all forms and levels of audio. Quite a few go overboard, but no place is perfect. Yes, the Audioholics recommendation hit a sore spot with many of the members. I can't really blame them, when you look at what has happened in the last few years.

First came the change to the site itself. Use to be it was unique, it just looked different than all the others, which made people here feel that they were some place special.

Now, it looks like the normal run of the mill site. Cheap, cheesy, run of the mill, web site. Nothing special here. Just another place that you can go to feel good about yourself.

Next came putting the forum link at the bottom of the page. Again, nothing special here. Who really cares if Polk has a site where you can get real world advise on those speakers you bought or are thinking about buying.

Finally, even though the intentions may have been good, they recommend people go to Audioholics? This is the site that has a pre-printed review, that a reviewer enters the model number, and the review is done.

So yes, it is sad that Polk recommended other places to give advise on Polk speakers without even mentioning that they sponsor a forum that people can go to to get advise from people who actually appreciate there current or former products.
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options
    @KenCustomerService , there's a way to point people to this forum's excellent advice on setup while avoiding the ephemera - direct customers to a particular category. Technical/Setup or Speakers for example.

Or better yet, create a new sub-forum with categories focused on individual products or product lines. This would allow Polk Audio to:
    • promote new products
    • promote sister company lines
    • bolster technical support
    • encourage maximum enjoyment of its products
    • nurture closer customer relationships and brand loyalty
    All on its own forum.

Instead of simply allowing the Polk forum to exist, why not make it better? Make it something you can be proud of. Proud enough to promote elsewhere. You've gone to some expense to create and maintain this forum. Why not get the most out of it?
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,084
    edited May 2017
    Options
    vcwatkins wrote: »

Or better yet, create a new sub-forum with categories focused on individual products or product lines. This would allow Polk Audio to:

[*] promote new products
      [*] promote sister company lines
      [*] bolster technical support
      [*] encourage maximum enjoyment of its products
      [*] nurture closer customer relationships and brand loyalty

All on its own forum.

Instead of simply allowing the Polk forum to exist, why not make it better? Make it something you can be proud of. Proud enough to promote elsewhere. You've gone to some expense to create and maintain this forum. Why not get the most out of it?
      (emphasis added)

This is, I'd opine (and FWIW), an excellent suggestion given the playing field for the brand at this point in its history!
    • tonyb
      tonyb Posts: 32,908
      Options
      Great point gents ^^^^. Imho though, in order to promote forum activity in all areas mentioned....you have to direct people to your own forum. I'm not a rocket scientist or anything but come on.

Some of the other complaints I'm reading simply don't hold water.

Receivers with pre-outs being recommended ? Seriously, that's a complaint ? That's called saving people money down the road when they start moving up the Polk chain to A9's or LSI's. I was under the impression moving up the chain within the Polk brand was desirable. It's an option that many novice know nothing about, granted it doesn't apply to all, which is why we ask questions. It's inevitable the novice who buy an entry level receiver for their A3's, will sooner or later be looking at bigger and better speakers from Polk and wondering why their entry level receiver isn't good enough. Their is a basic learning curve with audio, a basic education process many novices know zero about. Many here seek to not just hand out advice willy nilly, but to also educate so the Polk consumer can make the best decisions.

Many novices are simply not that into audio like some members here. They don't peruse audio forums, research much, or take the time to discuss their own experiences. They just want something that fits their needs and sounds good. Then you won't hear from them until that need arises years down the road. Which is fine...but forums thrive on participation. It is that very participation that has created many friends, connections, get togethers, product support over the years.

I'm also not buying the HT aspect of being 2nd Fiddle to 2 channel. While many here certainly prefer a good 2 channel system, the forum is loaded with HT advice, systems, support, graphs, pics.....just tons of information.....and guess what speaker brand is at the forefront of those discussions ?

Speaker set up ? Ken from CS mentioned in his response. Look on the forums home page....under "Speakers", read what it says. Now look to the right, how many threads were started ? How many responses given ? Plus we lost a lot when the forum changed to Vanilla.

Like I said, I certainly appreciate Ken's input and response, but someone down in marketing needs a good old fashioned Italian slap upside the head. ;)
      HT SYSTEM-
      Sony 850c 4k
      Pioneer elite vhx 21
      Sony 4k BRP
      SVS SB-2000
      Polk Sig. 20's
      Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
      Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
      Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
      Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
      Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
      Grant Fidelity tube dac
      B&k 1420
      lsi 9's
    • K_M
      K_M Posts: 1,627
      edited May 2017
      Options
      The average person that likes good sound, even many audiophiles, do not even care about all the "expensive wires", and does not want to be bashed for not wanting to get expensive separates or disagreeing about needing those wires or cables.
      That is why every cable or wire thread turns into a silly bash fest.

If some of you like some uber expensive "out there" stuff, fine. But just do not expect everyone else to share the same view or think it is a good idea.

Also and this may be crucial. I see good effort to welcome new people, until they disagree wtih "Advice or opinions" being given.

The overall vibe seems to be "Helpful", but do not disagree with us.
      But fortunately overall there are many great people, but the bad seeds bring the place down a lot.
      Post edited by K_M on
    • F1nut
      Options
      K_M wrote: »
      The average person that likes good sound, even many audiophiles, do not even care about all the "expensive wires", and does not want to be bashed for not wanting to get expensive separates or disagreeing about needing those wires or cables.

If some of you like some uber expensive "out there" stuff, fine. But just do not expect everyone else to share the same view or think it is a good idea.

Also and this may be crucial. I see good effort to welcome new people, until they disagree wtih "Advice or opinions" being given.

But fortunately overall there are many great people, but the bad seeds bring the place down a lot.

It's amazing how wrong and out of touch a person can be, but you make it look easy.

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
      txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
      Options
      K_M
      We have recommended Blue Jeans, Canare, and Signal cables more than 90% of the time.

We inquire the % of HT to music majority of the time.

We ask about budgets, room sizes, etc.
      We try to warn the OP's about stacking to many speakers or ex. A9's on a $300 AVR. Why because it's only natural to see what your new toy can do.

When we tell people about adding an amp, it's usually to explain that "YES it will improve the performance"

I think you only harp about the threads you like to get into debates about #rolleyes

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
      Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
      Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
      Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
    • K_M
      Options
      F1nut wrote: »
      K_M wrote: »

It's amazing how wrong and out of touch a person can be, but you make it look easy.

Says the guy that started this thread.......Ironic!

• K_M
      Options
      txcoastal1 wrote: »
      K_M
      We have recommended Blue Jeans, Canare, and Signal cables more than 90% of the time.

We inquire the % of HT to music majority of the time.

We ask about budgets, room sizes, etc.
      We try to warn the OP's about stacking to many speakers or ex. A9's on a $300 AVR. Why because it's only natural to see what your new toy can do.

When we tell people about adding an amp, it's usually to explain that "YES it will improve the performance"

I think you only harp about the threads you like to get into debates about #rolleyes

Who is this "We club" you talk about?

No I dislike bad behavour when some are unable to take rejection of their recommendations or opinions.
      You are mostly well behaved.