Show me your TT's !!!

Comments

• mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 17,355
    edited February 1
    it was for me, too.

They were virtually perfect, too -- except (of course) the woofer surrounds.
    Some punk kid (little kid!) had kicked in one of the (four) woofers, so I had to source a replacement. The kicked-in one was battered beyond reasonable rescue.

"It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
  • verbverb Posts: 2,405
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Your GPS would never find it :)

Wait, are you in VT? In that case -- you might find it. ;)

Naw. SE Michigan.
    2CH: Polk SDA 1C's, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, Rotel 1580 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Carver TX8 Tuner, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    verb wrote: »
    Your GPS would never find it :)

Wait, are you in VT? In that case -- you might find it. ;)

Naw. SE Michigan.

Yeah -- you'd never find us. They'd find your skeleton after the coyotes had stripped it clean ;)
    "It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
  • StevieBStevieB Posts: 221
    My Traveler with a Denon 103R is not as purty as most but sounds very good and hopefully one day I hope to move up the VPI ladder. Also have an old Dual 505-2 and an 80's Technics linear tracker.

d6r09bzw5gsk.jpg

6n24qxu0orlc.jpg
    McCormack DNA-1 Amp, Parasound Halo P5 Pre Amp, Denon DVD 2900 CD player, Adcom GDA 700 DAC, VPI Traveler TT with Denon 103R cartridge, Lounge Audio MKiii phono pre and Copla SUT, Polk SDA SRS 3.1 TL speakers, Tributaries series 8 IC's and speaker cable.
    Looks great to me!

Is that arm heavy enough "for best results" using the DL-103R? I must admit, I am not at all sure if the compliance of the "R" morph is as low as the plain-vanilla DL-103, but I am guessing it's comparable(?).

• ClipdatClipdat Posts: 3,119
    Not sure what you mean by "not as purty as most", before I even read your comment I thought to myself "Wow, what a gorgeous table!".
    StevieB wrote: »
    My Traveler with a Denon 103R is not as purty as most but sounds very good and hopefully one day I hope to move up the VPI ladder. Also have an old Dual 505-2 and an 80's Technics linear tracker.

Got Dayens?
    edited February 1
    6n24qxu0orlc.jpg

In fact, on the strength of that photograph, I'd have to say that it's an Epic record player.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. It took me all the way 'til now to come up with that.

;)

On a scale of 1-10, how stoned are you right now?
    In fact, on the strength of that photograph, I'd have to say that it's an Epic record player.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. It took me all the way 'til now to come up with that.

;)

Got Dayens?
    I am hypercaffeinated, in point of fact.

:|

At nearly 6pm? You must've got a late start.

Got Dayens?
  • FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 2,199
    No worries folks, Doc will be here all night.
  • Nesmith98Nesmith98 Posts: 36
    see? :)

32547188461_abe8ed978c_b.jpgDSC_6964 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

There is a GA-212 downstairs... someplace...

I have a Philips 977 similar to that one. I think i got it at Goodwill for less than $10.00.

40029630181_193dd2691e_c.jpg

39131448095_37dbf1c241_c.jpg
    Clipdat wrote: »
    At nearly 6pm? You must've got a late start.

72pvfunwcjg4.png
    2CH: Polk SDA 1C's, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, Rotel 1580 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Carver TX8 Tuner, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Nesmith98 wrote: »
    see? :)

32547188461_abe8ed978c_b.jpgDSC_6964 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

There is a GA-212 downstairs... someplace...

I have a Philips 977 similar to that one. I think i got it at Goodwill for less than $10.00.

40029630181_193dd2691e_c.jpg

39131448095_37dbf1c241_c.jpg

The 977 is several notches up from the 777 shown before. Interestingly, in the initial lineup of those tts, the 877 was the top. The 977, with the digital display of platter speed (vs. just an LED "graph") came along subsequently.

• dr1978dr1978 Posts: 170
    halo wrote: »
    Technics SL-Q3 w/ Shure M95ED
    hw3na6f5q2kf.jpg

Bottlehead Reduction Phono pre with Integration upgrade (Amperex white PQ 6922 tubes) & Mahogany base
    35716409261_a1d1ac810d_b.jpg

Is that the "definitive version" of Fragile that just came out? One of my favorite albums ever and the new version is packaged perfectly and sounds great.
    Lounge LCR MKIII, AMC 2100, Marantz SR5011, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk RM8, Polk PSW450, Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 4,336
    ggb8ktkqte7g.jpg
    Parlor: ifi iDSD Micro*Yamaha RX-A2030*Parasound Halo P5*Parasound Halo A-31*Parasound 2250v2*Emotiva XPA-200 Gen1*LSiM707 Fronts*LSiM706c Center*LSiM702f/x Surrounds*Monitor70 Series II Rears*Monitor40 Series II Presence*SVS PB2000 Sub X2*OPPO BDP-103D*Sony PS3*Samsung-55" LED 1080p Smart 3D HDTV UN55H7150AFXZA*TEAC TN-300*Wireworld Solstice cables* Wireworld Stratus power cables*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*BJC Silver-Plated IC's* Bens Silver IC's

Dungeon: Dancer Mini-Two Diamond*Auralic Aries Mini*Dayens Ampino Preamp*Dayens Ampino Monoblocks*North Star Intenso DAC*Wireworld Oasis cables*Wireworld Oasis IC's*Wireworld Aurora power cables*IFI nano IDSD bl*Pangea Silver USB*Cambridge CXU*

Panamax MR5100*Panamax M8-AV-PRO*Furman PST-2+6

Headgear: Sennheiser HD 558*Audio-Technica ATH-M40x*Sennheiser HD 598 Cs*Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7*Philips SHP9500S* Sennheiser 6xx

Hello Kitty boombox

Spare sortta: Usher N-6361* ifi iDsd nano*Marantz 1504* RX-A1040*Emotiva XPA-1L Gen2 X2*Emotiva XPA-3 Gen2*CSiA6 Center*Monitor40 Series II*SVS PB1000 Sub*Sony BDPS6500 Blu-ray player*POS 37" LCD*Douglas Connection Furez 12 AWG 2 Conductor*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*Samsung BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray*Usher N-6361

Self Control is over rated.
    Mr. Sharpe wrote: »
    Meh these were extra $70 as an open box item so it didn’t much to me either way:)

afterburnt wrote: »
    ggb8ktkqte7g.jpg

Nice! What is that? Looks like you could play a 6ft diameter record on that thing!

And some tether ball!
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 5,134
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I've never used a record clamp/weight of any kind.

I think they work to better the sound. I have experience with them.

Now if you listen to heavy metal, there's no use, I don't think.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Will a heavy metal or heavy rock fan tell me if the clamps or weights make the music sound better?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • motorstereomotorstereo Posts: 767
    Clamps no doubt help vinyl playback. On the rare occasion I'll spin a record it's part of the routine I go through; brush the record, clean the stylus and clamp the record. If you use a loudness button or a sub at a fairly loud volume I've found that spiking the subs and speakers is very important to keep the feedback away from the needle.
    This looks minty. No cartridge. Deal?
    eor3sf1fcbca.png
    Another pic.
    6fhsl4d5qdz4.png
    edited February 2
    The problem is that cartridge choices are very limited.

That's why it's forty smackers.
    I paid $7 for my TX-2 (as mentioned earlier) with a broken stylus... so I'd say $40 was a tad steep. Not outrageous by any means, but I couldn't see paying much more for a swingin' arm b&o like that one (looks like an RX-2?).

It may well need a belt -- belts are available for it (someplace).

Here're your cartridge opportunities:
    https://www.sound-smith.com/bo-cartridges

The problem is that cartridge choices are very limited.

That's why it's forty smackers.
    I paid $7 for my TX-2 (as mentioned earlier) with a broken stylus... so I'd say $40 was a tad steep.

Here're your cartridge opportunities:
    https://www.sound-smith.com/bo-cartridges

Yep. Haven't even hooked my Micro-Seiki yet! Help pull me out of the rabbit hole!
    Pretty sure it's an RX-2 (borrowed image).
    nt4m20785n5c.png

Here're your cartridge options:
    https://www.sound-smith.com/lookup/bo-cartridges/108

Pretty sure it's an RX-2 (borrowed image).
    nt4m20785n5c.png

Here're your cartridge options:
    https://www.sound-smith.com/lookup/bo-cartridges/108

Enabler! :smiley: Thanks!
    ggb8ktkqte7g.jpg

Nice! What is that? Looks like you could play a 6ft diameter record on that thing!

And some tether ball!

That tt, by the way, is a Fairchild 750. One of the finest turntables made. Ever.

• ken brydsonken brydson Posts: 6,899
    ggb8ktkqte7g.jpg

And you can hang your clothes to dry as well...
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer SC-1222k AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Denon 2910, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's/ RTA8t
    ggb8ktkqte7g.jpg

And some tether ball!

That tt, by the way, is a Fairchild 750. One of the finest turntables made. Ever.

I see why they call Doc. As in PHD, I presume. So what's up with that tonearm? It seems like it would be very hard to control dynamically. Counterweight seems insufficient. Is that for real?
    Yes, a PhD -- otherwise I'd own nicer hifi stuff ;)

It's probably real -- tracking error would be (could be) quite low.
    The sufficiency of the counterweight depends on its mass. I am guessing the whole arm/cartridge system is appropriate for a low compliance MC cartridge.

http://twogoodears.blogspot.com/2017/02/analog-machism.html

You are an encyclopedia! Impressive. BTW BS Aero, MS Mech :smiley: yes you're credentials are longer than mine!