Maryland PolkFest '08

12346»

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited October 2008
    You rule PolkClyde.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited October 2008
    ESAVINON wrote: »
    This was my fisrt polkfest. I had a blast!

I'd like to thank Mr Matthew Polk for his hospitality and grace.
    I would also like to thank all of those involved in making polkfest 08 the great success it was.
    Last but certainly not in the least, I would like to thank everyone who attended.
    It was a real pleasure meeting people who share this crazy obsession with polkaudio products.
    It was a great pleasure being around audio nuts sharing, listening, and learning more about this great hobby of ours.

Yeah, I want to thank you Ed, you have me thinking about the Krell you were trying to unload at PF. If I wasn't trying to save some cash to get rid of my last chunk of debt, I'd have gotten it. But right now I'm trying to get ahead for once in my life and your thought isn't helping me because I'm trying to find ways to find the cash I need to make it happen. I thought for a second there that I might have to fight Matt Polk for it! Hopefully you unloaded it already so I can banish the evil thought from my mind!

It was good meeting you and getting to hang out with you all day since we were in the same tour group.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PolkClyde
    PolkClyde Posts: 661
    edited October 2008
    Al is a big, powerfully built man with a very distinctive and stately countenance. I don't know if anyone else noticed something that I did. There can be a presence in his stare when he is just looking at someone and not saying anything, that is reminiscent of the look that Charles Bronson manifested many times in the Death Wish series of movies.

Little something I picked up on.
    I picked up on it myself I agree with George. I wanted to talk to him(AL) a little more BUT didn't. I did get to tell him that I wish him all the success in the world. PolkAudio is the best.Bose you can't touch Polk.Bose is a good company but what bose speaker have you guys heard that can touch(sound better than) the 1.2's you tell me. Nice house AL
    PolkAudioClyde
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited October 2008
    I talked to Al about all of you. Some of you will be getting a lump of coal, not the good coal, the cheap black coal that rubs off all over your stuff.

Man the pic of the polk audio toy with Matt showing how to insert the pill cracks me up, wonder if you have to go to the hospital if you play with it for over four hours and your ball gets stuck.........

One note on Clyde, when he gets his lips around a sammich at the same time a bass note pounds out of the rig his whole body goes stiff his eyes roll back in his head and flutter like pin ball flippers on steriods, its really quite a site. Lasts a couple minutes after which he wakes up and takes a large drink of whatever is handy.

RT1
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited October 2008
    This is my both my favorite pic and PF member that attended the fest. Jesse rocks!;):D

Hey, who said rigged?:eek:
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SCompRacer
    edited October 2008
    Carl breaks from tradition selling speakers from a non-White minivan...
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2008
    Great picture of grumpy, I like it!
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • SCompRacer
    edited October 2008
    Hell yeah Russ, he has that trifocal look about him.....:p:D
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited October 2008
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Carl breaks from tradition selling speakers from a non-White minivan...

The color really threw off the mall security guards. We passed by two or three while driving around with speakers for sale and they completely ignored us. :D

I've been awol for awhile and several weeks ago I thought about returning to the forum. With Polkfest imminent I felt a little uncomfortable about showing up. Thankfully ya'll went easy on me with just a slap across the face. It feels good to be back.

It's taken a couple of days for my mellon to stop spinning. Hurry up and wait surmises my last week of days and nights. Thank you Matt, Al & Hedy, Polk Audio employees, The Kluge (with their new set of speakers), the PF roadies and forum members for an unforgettable weekend. The amount of energy and generosity that went into this year's Polkfest is overwhelming.

Listening to music in 2-ch feeds my ears most days but HT comes into play sometimes. I enjoyed Polk Audio's demo's this weekend and once again was impressed with their in-wall's. This year we heard them in the completed room that was under construction in 2005. With their performance and if in-wall was an option I was considering, they would be on my shopping list.

The SurroundBar 360 hit me like a tidal wave. Unlike the first generation SurroundBar, I did not have to strain my ears to hear what the PA engineers were so enthusiastic about. The surround works amazingly well with this model. This was one of those situations where you are positive that rear surrounds are hooked up but was not the case. The processor technology works side by side with the drivers to deliver excellent bass response. If you want to tune in a friend to Polk Audio gear, get their ears on a SB360 demo. I hope to pick one of these up when the time is right.

VM 30's - I liked their sound and if you enjoy sl3000 tweeters you should give them a listen. For some reason, the 30's are too tall for my taste but the 20's and a sub would make a sweet rig.

DSWmicroPRO 3000 with Feed Forward - FF is new to me but the clarity and output for their size is awesome. On PF day 2 I was a few rooms away and was certain there was a honking big sub playing. Boy was I surprised to see two midget amps responsible for all that bass. Down the road one of these may follow me home.

Random thoughts...

* Food survival for the weekend on $50 or less. Meet fellow polkies in the hotel bar. Order a drink then put down the menu with $12 entrees and $25 main courses to guarantee coin in pocket for future drinks and meals. Option 1: hang outside with Carl and take some mind altering drugs while waiting for everyone to decide where to go. Option 2: walk outside and look across the street for an alternative. Note to self - trees rustling in the wind combined with the right degree of hunger and lack of sleep can make a distant sign like "Mens's Wearhouse" appear to read "Mel's Steakhouse". Option 3: go with Rich to the front desk and get directions to local establishments then hit pedal to the metal.

* Airport survival part 1 (Personal goods).
    Keep a change of clothes in your carry-on for when the plane with your checked luggage takes off without you.

* Airport survival part 2 (Polkfest goodies).
    Keep your stash close as in carry-on only. See above.

Walking toward the PF festivities on day 2, a mailman asked me why he wasn't invited to the party. I replied "you need to be wearing the secret shirt". Good times were had with the usual ripe (and ripped) moments, chats with old friends and meeting some new ones was the order of the day. You should experience Polkfest at least once in your life. The more the better.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited October 2008
    Steve glad to see you posting. It was nice meeting you, hanging in the airport and the ride in the van with Carl and Rich was certainly interesting.

Take care bud and don't be a stranger.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited October 2008
    F1nut wrote: »
    Ed, it was great to finally meet you. I'm sorry we didn't get to chat much, my fault. I'll fix that the next time.

The pleasure was all mine. We shall meet again.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited October 2008
    Glad to see you back Steve.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Engineering Technical Services Manager Posts: 0
    edited October 2008
    Thanks to all that came to PF08. We enjoyed having everyone come see what we do and how we do it. It is great to see such excitement and interest in our company. Without all of you supporting us this would be just another speaker company. Thanks again
    Len
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited October 2008
    Len wrote: »
    Thanks to all that came to PF08. We enjoyed having everyone come see what we do and how we do it. It is great to see such excitement and interest in our company. Without all of you supporting us this would be just another speaker company. Thanks again
    Len

Len!

I was hoping you would pop in! I'm sorry I didn't get to talk longer in the garage about competitions or the hallway about the VM series for that matter! My tour group kept getting rushed around because the group ahead of us was dragging their feet. You're right though, the small drivers in the VM series are easier to drive and respond very fast. Makes for a clear, precise sound although it lacks serious bottom end power. But that can be reinforced easily with a subwoofer. It was a pleasure to get to meet you how ever so briefly and put a face with the name! Your enthusiasm is contagious!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • SCompRacer
    edited October 2008
    Hey Steve!:D Glad to see you made it back. How was your return trip? You've done some time in airports, and in the back of a seatless van, haven't you?

It was great hooking up. Stick around and keep in touch.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited October 2008
    Steve,

Glad you made it to PF! We had a great time riding all over the town in the back of the van with the Carvers. That's something you will remember for many years to come. I had a fabulous time with you, Brock and Rich. When Ricardo and Al joined us at Friday's, it was all too fun!:)

See you next year!
    Carl

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited November 2008
    Just looking at the pics from PF '08 and I'm wondering where all the rest of the pictures are? I mean, I saw a lot of folks with cameras snapping away, so let's get them posted!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited November 2008
    Just looking at the pics from PF '08 and I'm wondering where all the rest of the pictures are? I mean, I saw a lot of folks with cameras snapping away, so let's get them posted!!!

Jesse, do you feel we didn't cover PF correctly? I know what I've post is what I have to post, not every picture I taken is use as I can take multiple shoots looking for the "Good One".

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited November 2008
    I'm wondering where all the rest of the pictures are? I mean, I saw a lot of folks with cameras snapping away, so let's get them posted!!!

I imagine a lot of people's pictures didn't turn out well. The lighting conditions in a lot of areas weren't very friendly to hand held cameras. Balancing camera flash on the run and in dimly lit areas can be tricky and often leads to unsatisfactory results. Tripods work very well, but who wants to lug one of those around all day? Over the years, I have learned to contort my body in order to properly brace my camera in low light or sub-optimal light conditions, but it's not fun.

I took 304 shots during PF 2008. I threw away 212 shots due to poor lighting, repetitious, etc. Of the 92 "good" shots remaining, only 41 were of general interest that could be published. The other 51 shots were scenes of the headquarters facility, equipment, etc. that were either shown in other people's pictures or that were deemed to be of little to no general interest. Therefore my publication yield was 41/304 = 13%. My yield of good shots was 92/304 = 30%. I am fairly adept at handling a camera. You can imagine what the yield rates might be for someone who infrequently uses a camera.

From looking at the pictures that have been posted so far by the various attendees, it seems like the entire event was covered very well. What other pics would you like to see?
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2008
    I took around 400 shots...but half of those were downtown/inner harbor Baltimore and probably not of much interest to most. The majority of my indoor photos were pretty good since I used a fast lens and fairly high ISO (no flash). I posted about 25 photos of the 200 or so from PF. As Raife said, much of the rest are redundant because they were of things/people/events that had already been posted.

The really good stuff is locked away for future blackmail opportunities.:D
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited November 2008
    Ok guys, just seemed to me to be a bit short compared to years past.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2008
    F1nut wrote:
    Ok guys, just seemed to me to be a bit short compared to years past.

Since we were at Al's house, everything was toned down a notch so there just wasn't as much good stuff to shoot. Plus there was only Sat. night vs the customary Fri. night as well.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • reeltrouble1
    edited November 2008
    Thanks to everyone who took photo's, I know its a PITA and each of you should get an award.

Raife you absolutetly slay me man................my net yield of photo's.........waaaaaaaa
    quote material for sure.

RT1
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2008
    Who needed the Carver A-500 User Manual? ClarkNova666?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    edited November 2008
    Mr. Polk must be a pretty awesome guy. I keep running into folks who have worked for PolkAudio, one is a credit manager and another is a former design engineer. They both speak of how great it is working with him. I hope to have the pleasure of meeting Mr. Polk sometime.
    Stan
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • reeltrouble1
    edited November 2008
    Spend a few minutes with him and you realize their are no wrong answers to him, only opportunities within someone's belief of what they like in audio.

RT1
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2008
    Reeltrouble1 - The Mr. Miyagi of Club Polk.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited November 2008
    It did. I will send you a copy.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • reeltrouble1
    edited December 2008
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Reeltrouble1 - The Mr. Miyagi of Club Polk.

and this message from someone who

wacks on

wacks off

Everyday......well actually three times a day, but that is a story for another time.............:D

kisses sweetum

RT1