Maryland PolkFest '08

Options

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2008
    Options
    THIS is what I've been telling yous guys, I'm glad you got your ears on them.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I was also pleasantly surprised.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Lowell_M
    Lowell_M Posts: 1,660
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I obviously wasn't at Polkfest, so should probably keep my mouth shut... But...... The Rockford folks had a chance to review the DSW Micropro 1000 before production began. We put it to its paces in my HT against my unworthy Velo.

I agree that the little monster surprised the hell out of me in both output and control.... but, regardless of size of the subs, how do they compare in output and control to other subs at the same pricepoint? I mean, the Micropro 1000 MSRP's at $999. I had no idea what the price would be at the time we had the pleasure of demoing and really didn't know anything about the little sub other than it sounded pretty good compared to my big Velo.

I don't have anything written down, so other Rockford folks chime in.... If I remember correctly, the output of the DSW wasn't as strong as my velo, but much, much, much MUCH more controlled and without the port noise I get with my Velo. But, you can buy an SVS PB12 Plus for $999 that would absolutely crush my Velodyne CHT-12. I can't speak for the control since I haven't done any direct comparisons, and it is obviously larger than the DSW micropro 1000.

So.... Are you all saying that in terms of shear performance (regardless of sub footprint) the new DSW series of up to par with HSU and SVS at the same pricepoints???

I'm not trying to be an ****... i was actually encouraged by this post so I looked at the subs on the Polk websight and was floored at the price of the MicroPro series.
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's
    Signal Ultra Bi-Wire Speaker Cables
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I have tried my SVS PB12/Plus2 for music and after hearing these gems, I'm willing to throw down the cash for my 2 channel rig. The price you see on the site is not the same as say... Crutchfield.

As for HT, I'm not sure I would be willing to part with my SVS. I plan to purchase the Micropro's for 2-channel only. Although I was impressed with them in Al's HT rig, he also had the SRT's helping out as well. So to say that they can replace your SVS is inconclusive. I will certainly try it.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Just a few more pictures....

2960172158_ef33842344_o.jpg

Polkie vehicles took over the street in front of Al's house on Saturday (and the side streets as well)

2960186562_a392450b9e_o.jpg

The Mexican Feast is the SECOND buffet of the day at Al's and it was GOOD!

2959334327_bfc29caaca_o.jpg

Just hanging out at Al's.

2960170952_e3b1b55042_o.jpg

Still hangin' out.

I had never been to "Bawlmer" before, so on Saturday morning I decided to do some sightseeing before heading to Al's. I headed downtown to the Inner Harbor. I ended up staying about 4 hours and was late to the party, (I quickly caught up however). Here are just a few of the sights....

2960170124_7af9bb61f6_o.jpg

Overlooking the city and harbor from Federal Hill.

2960174160_dbe1611e33_o.jpg

The city from across the Inner Harbor

2959333619_d7e8be431d_o.jpg

A VERY COOL Museum

2960173260_a5c9fc33e0_o.jpg

The clock tower at the Sports Legends Museum

2959332801_4ef2c79f87_o.jpg

Singing and dancing while making the fudge at The Fudgery

2959331571_6717539238_o.jpg

A street painter at the Inner Harbor

2959332479_76be416271_o.jpg

The BABE

2960171224_c946626555_o.jpg

Oriole Park at Camden Yards

2960252126_4c368cf28e_o.jpg

LOTS of eye candy all over the place....this is just one of many of the georgeous young ladies that caught my eye!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2008
    Options
    The new subwoofers are miles above the historical Polk subwoofer. I firmly believe them to be direct competition with the Velodyne and HSU/Outlaw series. SVS? Well, that depends on the model and Polk isn't about to touch the PB13 bracket, so don't get yoour SVS panties in a bunch. This is an awesome bracket to play with and its simply different strokes for different folks.

They've come a long way since folks like Mark Susskind and his crew really attacked the subwoofer series and I'm glad that they received some positive comments from the attendees.

There are some other website reviews and demos in the works, so at least we can establish a new baseline.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Lowell_M
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Cool. I'm not trying to be combative... just devil's advocate. I've only expereinced the DSW micropro 1000 and none others. It seemed like it work be a fantastic 2 channel sub and I wondered about the series HT worthyness. Vast improvement over past Polk subs.

Where do these new lines put the PSW1000? will it be discontinued or is it better suited for something in it's own right?
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2008
    Options
    m00npie wrote: »
    I have tried my SVS PB12/Plus2 for music and after hearing these gems, I'm willing to throw down the cash for my 2 channel rig. The price you see on the site is not the same as say... Crutchfield.

As for HT, I'm not sure I would be willing to part with my SVS. I plan to purchase the Micropro's for 2-channel only. Although I was impressed with them in Al's HT rig, he also had the SRT's helping out as well. So to say that they can replace your SVS is inconclusive. I will certainly try it.

The MicroPro subwoofers in the SRT room when Russ or I were present were immediately turned off. They overloaded the room, since it wasn't a large room to begin with. The SRT subwoofers were enough to load the room correctly but I flet they were a little loose in overall response.

The SRT subwoofer tweaks that Ed and some others have done on those enclosures/drivers are solid and would definitly be an option for a future owner. Kudos to them for handling the experimentation and posting the results and opinions in previous threads.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • shack
    edited October 2008
    Options
    a_mattison wrote:
    So.... Are you all saying that in terms of shear performance (regardless of sub footprint) the new DSW series of up to par with HSU and SVS at the same pricepoints???

For the application I would be looking at (primarily 2-channel...with HT secondary) I think so. The control and lack of port noise are prime considerations for me. Amazon is selling the DSW MicroPRO 4000 for $1,499.95 and the for DSW MicroPRO 3000 $1,299.95...both with free shipping. So the answer is YES!

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Lowell_M
    edited October 2008
    Options
    shack wrote: »
    For the application I would be looking at (primarily 2-channel...with HT secondary) I think so. The control and lack of port noise are prime considerations for me. Amazon is selling the DSW MicroPRO 4000 for $1,499.95 and the for DSW MicroPRO 3000 $1,299.95...both with free shipping. So the answer is YES!

Sweet. Maybe I'll try one of these out as well someday. :o
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Not one picture of my newly detailed truck but I guess that OK since I was just a gear/food/body taxi.....with Brett being the primary driver :D

Keep 'em coming Shack. I'd like to combine these threads in a decent way without affecting the subject matter, so consider this one a benchmark Steve.
  • Face
    edited October 2008
    Options
    How about doing the same as what was done for the Georgia Polkfest and create a volume in the system showcase?
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2008
    Options
    That email has been sent Face but it takes a couple days. I'm just talking about the multiple threads.....not pics.
  • shack
    edited October 2008
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:
    Not one picture of my newly detailed truck but I guess that OK since I was just a gear/food/body taxi.....with Brett being the primary driver :D

If you look closely, you can see that shiny beast behind Russ' head in picture #4.

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Driving 8 hours can be boring; but when I saw the sign at the right I thought it was funny; Check Brakes?????
    Picture004.jpg

Beautiful fall colors somewhere in PA
    Picture010.jpg

Left to Right: Russ (Russman), Doug (dkg999), Steve (Shack), forgot his name, Russ (Hoosier21), forgot her name.
    Picture015.jpg

Doug (dkg999) and Brock (Heiney9) checking out the car audio demo
    Picture024.jpg

Brett (brettw22) and Russ (Lightman1) sharing the sweet spot at the SRT room in Al's house
    Picture030.jpg

Scott (Millerlitescott), Doug and Brock ready to eat at Al's
    Picture034.jpg

George Grand, Rusman and Doro eating at Al's
    Picture035.jpg

George Grand and Dave (Fireman32) AND DORO's BEAUTIFUL RECENTLY DETAILED TRUCK!!!!
    Picture037.jpg

Lou (ohskigod) and Russ listening to the downstairs rig at Al's
    Picture038.jpg

Left to right, top first: Ed (Esavinon), Dave, Brock, Scott & Doug enjoying the SRT's
    Picture039.jpg

Al's cat; will never be the same after sleeping with MArk and Russ.
    Picture040.jpg

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Ricardo
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Mark stealing some CD's
    Picture056.jpg

Moonpie (? :)) and Russ
    Picture041.jpg

Left to right: Russ, George, Steve (Polk65), David (DAGLJAM), Steve(Disneyjoe) AND LOOK AT THAT AWESOME AVALANCHE!!!!!!
    Picture042.jpg

Left to right: Bill (Libertyc), Raife(darqueknight), Joe (Hearingimpaired), Jdhdiggs (?:))
    Picture043.jpg

Cathy (cfrizz) and her brother Mark:
    Picture044.jpg

Carl (schwarcw) and Ed
    Picture045.jpg

Face; don't ask me what he was doing here.
    Picture046.jpg

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2008
    Options
    :D fair enough....too bad it had to involve that hillbilly.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited October 2008
    Options
    shack wrote: »
    If you look closely, you can see that shiny beast behind Russ' head in picture #4.

....and to think just behind that shiny tailgate was a Glock and fat sack of weed. Nice!
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2008
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    ....and to think just behind that shiny tailgate was a Glock and fat sack of weed. Nice!

The plantlife isn't true but I did accidentally bring about 400 rounds of ammo since we had planned to hit the range in the morning. That's why I let Brett drive the whole time. I was planning on saying I was drunk and he was ****....that would have at least let me jump out of the vehicle and run a couple yards. Russ would have just sat in the backseat wondering why he came to Polkfest.

I took Brett out the next day and we fired up some stuff....imagine, big **** Brett shooting at "male" torso targets. It was priceless.
  • Ricardo
    edited October 2008
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Not one picture of my newly detailed truck

Got a couple here
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73554

SOPA
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited October 2008
    Options
    It appears Face is trying to get a cheap thrill from the sub.

:D
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Aaron, those subs were awesome. Think back to the Chicago PF in Bloomington; remember how Mike floors were bouncing. Well this was similar only on a smaller scale.

Sorry but your Velo wouldn't really hold a candle. Granted this was a dual set-up. I was impressed with the demo we heard pre-production. But after spending sometime with these on Saturday; I'd have no problem laying out the cash. Plus, I can unhesitatingly recommend them.

Also the SRT's were lacking a bit in 2 ch mode. I'm sure it was a combination of source, receiver, settings and room. But damn, as an HT unit that thing was killer. Watching The Transformers literally had the windows and doors rattling out of their frames.

The "extra" micropro's were not needed and were promptly turned off and left off.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Ricardo
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I was lucky enough to be part of the micropro demo, and got a 3000. I use it for my 2 channel, but during the demo I used it in place of my SVS 20-39 PC + in the HT room. I was able to get the same output....although I had to raise the gain almost to max, and could not stop it from jumping :).\

I also learned two things at Polkfest 2008:

1.-Lead shot can also be used to stop subs from jumping around

2.-These subs have something that lets you raise the gain all the way to max, and there will never be any distortion; I forgot what's it called, but now I understand why when I did my HT demo this little sub sounded soooo good even though the gain was almost at 40 (max).

So yes, they can compete with the SVS beasts for HT, and they are more musical for 2 channel.

SOPA
  • RuSsMaN
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Ricardo (and gang),

It's called Feed Forward Advanced Distortion Suppression.

Read more HERE -> http://www.polkaudio.com/education/tech_article.php?id=50

Nutshelled, it minimizes distortion while maximizing acoustic output- the best of both worlds. It's what was tried to be accomplished with 'servo' subwoofers, but it's much more successful.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Dave(Fireman) - I messed with you all day/night but its with much love brother. When I threw your crutch into the bushes, and walked away for some crab dip, I loved you.

You rule brother and the fact that you painfully worked your way down to HQ and beyond speaks volumes. You need something? You have a whole brotherhood to call upon....me included. Family.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Russ beat me to it. One of the tech's was explaining it to us and he was quite enamored with the technology............as was I.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Lowell_M
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Awesome! I'm glad I asked!! They sound like a great mix of output and clean punch for someone who wants a killer HT but also enjoys 2 channel music that needs some sub support.
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited October 2008
    Options
    That was absolutely hysterical! while the Transformers was playing, every door had a body pressed against it, but nothing could stop the windows from rattling and anything that wasn't nailed down from shaking! It was AWESOME!!!:D

I even want one of the new subs!!!
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Also the SRT's were lacking a bit in 2 ch mode. I'm sure it was a combination of source, receiver, settings and room. But damn, as an HT unit that thing was killer. Watching The Transformers literally had the windows and doors rattling out of their frames.

The "extra" micropro's were not needed and were promptly turned off and left off.

H9
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Face
    edited October 2008
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    That was absolutely hysterical! while the Transformers was playing, every door had a body pressed against it, but nothing could stop the windows from rattling and anything that wasn't nailed down from shaking! It was AWESOME!!!:D

I clearly heard that demo 3 houses away.
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2008
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »

I posted myself at the S&M closet door.