Dedicated Outlet

Comments

• polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited March 2003
    Tony,
    let's see, 6 hours of labors, EMT conduit, 2X20A breakers, flex, connectors, t-junctions, and 12 gauges came to $425. 2 PS power ports $120 (Including taxes and shipping)....$545 Total. Not cheap, but it's a clean job!

How's your 1055? review please.....
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited March 2003
    So polkatese,
    waiting on your review as well.Lets hear one man......you did an aweful lot to your system as of late.Lets get into some then and now stuff.Like to hear how the entire system is responding to all these new toys..........
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • polkatese
    edited March 2003
    Dan,
    this project falls under Home Improvement, so it is not on the toys' list :D well, except may be the power ports. I really like the power port, it's well made, very tight grip, and looks great. I haven't really had a chance to sit and check the system, just finished them a couple hours ago. With the new dedicated outlet, I plug the Rotel directly to the wall, bypassing the HTS, I want to see if there is going to be any difference. Hopefully the next couple days I get a chance to check it. You know, one of the benefit of the detachable OEM power cord, I was able to dissamble the marinco plug, slide the cable thru the tight opening behind the wall unit, and reassemble it. So, now I am ready to go with the Panamax, love it! .....
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    Cool dude but I would still love to read a DETAILED review of your overall system ,where it came from and where it is today....or then.And maybe a future outlook.......your system is nice.....

Hey on a side note,you personally killed my entire home theater project.The Lsi7's are in my soul deeply and I want nothing more then to give them a run for the spotlight show in the fromt of my theater and move the Lsi15's to 2 channel duty only.
    With my theater being front projector and screen,Hanging the front 3 on the wall has many advantages.I was considering doing this with Sonus Faber all Walls,they all hang on the wall.Cool as ****.
    I'm buying all my speakers soon so I will get a sample of how they do upfront with the B&K..........I'm juiced to demo and review them.........this should make for a good demo.If it fails I will personally blame you........waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Dan
  • polkatese
    edited March 2003
    Dan,
    quick question on the REL, the +12 db rca input, what is it for? I've been using the 0 db, let me please. Thanks, fh
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    It's exactly what it says a 12db boost input.No need to use it.I don't use it.I always use the 0db input.
    Dan
  • polkatese
    edited March 2003
    Dan,
    he he he...., that would be a drastic change to your future HT system, eh...
    yes, you can blame it on me, and better yet, if it fails, send your LSi 7 to me, I will reluctantly accept the shipment. Hell, I was now thinking that for surround back, a pair of RM3000 should be enough. I think it would be a disgrace to put any of the LSi in the back, a waste of great speaker to do meager duty of conveying flying bullets from left to right? I don't think so...
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    No I don't look at it like that at all man.Surroundback will open up in the future.The 7's will match the Lsi system perfectly.The better speakers up front,the better the rears have to become......chain of events.....but I get what your saying.One of the small reasons I didn't go with the Lsi9's for surroundback.Not wall hangable was the biggest thing.I didn't want to have toi build shelves in my theaterroom.I wasn't into that.
    I can't wait to try them out for fronts............
    Dan
  • polkatese
    edited March 2003
    Got it....btw, I am really diggin' 9 for two channels now. Before long, with the exception of the 25, I might have a complete LSi line up....yes, I need help...also, B&K might be in the very near future.
  • polkatese
    edited March 2003
    thanks on the REL answer, I am just curious today, since I unhooked the cabling, and saw that input...
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    Isn't it sick...It's all I think about all the time everyday.I also will own the entire Lsi line except the Lsi25's.....and who knows maybe one day......
    B&K huh...well you'll like the sound quality.I think they got a tad bit better sweatness over Rotel in midrange.I think Rotel might have the last word in High detail,but I bought some Kimber Kable Hero's and brought out some high end detail I felt I lost......it's a complete package when building a system....Matching everything just right.......Mantis theory and all.....you know........
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    check that out man I'm now a polk expert..........how did that happen?????????
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    **** dude with a title like that,I better get my learn on.......Brush up on polk's history and such,older models,future plans.......thats alot to put on a guys shoulders.waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    The 9's I will own for the sake of all the fuss over them I have been reading.I demo'd them when I bought my 15's and thought they where a lesser of a speaker not to mention I wasn't in the market for bookshelves.Gald to see your digging them.......Do I feel a 9 vs the 15 shootout coming?????
    Dan
  • polkatese
    edited March 2003
    I did a quick 9/15 shoot out, the low end it loose some, mid and high almost carbon copy. With a good sub, one can replicate the 15 using 9.

You got me to think, B&K vs. Rotel, are you sure Rotel's high is better than B&K?

Here is a quiz on B&K for you, 507 has 150 wpc @ 8 ohm, 185 wpc @ 4 ohm, AV125.7 has 125 wpc @ 8 ohm, 185 wpc @ 4 ohm...how can that be if 507=ref50 + av125.7?
  • polkatese
    edited March 2003
    This is just in: both my wife and 8 years old son confirms that the picture quality on the PE has noticeably improved (with the dedicated line and PS power port). Details and brightness are the two improvement mentioned, I have DirecTv Sat. Stay tuned for more review....
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    polkatese,
    You got me to think, B&K vs. Rotel, are you sure Rotel's high is better than B&K?
    Good question.My results are when comparing my seperates vs the avr307.It's very slight.The Rotel has a touch better detail on cymbols,hi hats have a slighty sharper ring.It's not a night and day thing here.It's slight.
    When I bought the KimberKable Hero's,this slight advantage Rotel had was gone.The Sizzle as I like to call it was there allday.The Rotel seperates where connected together with Transparent Musiclinks all the way threw.The B&K also used Transparent musiclinks from the cd player.
    To tell you the truth man,I couldn't be happier with B&K's sound quality.They have a very warm midrange and sloid bottom end.High's are completely detailed,just like Rotels.They both sound different overall.I perfer the sound of the B&K better then Rotels.Rotel is great sounding gear,I love it to death but B&K has a slight advantage in my ear.I have conducted the test a couple times now to be sure.Since I own both,I didn't favor one over the other with pride of ownersip or anything like that.My sound quality is very important to me,so picking the best one forgetting about name was key for me....in the end I choose B&K.

Here is a quiz on B&K for you, 507 has 150 wpc @ 8 ohm, 185 wpc @ 4 ohm, AV125.7 has 125 wpc @ 8 ohm, 185 wpc @ 4 ohm...how can that be if 507=ref50 + av125.7?
    I can't answer that for sure but I can however findout.I assume B&K runs the av125.7 alittle I will call it AMPED UP when installing it in the chassis of the avr507.I'm not exactly sure if thats the correct amp inside.I was told it is a ST series amp.But it's a good question.I will find out today.

Glad to hear your improving your system with noticable results.I'll be waiting for a FULL review man.You have alot to tell with your current adventures.Alot of which I will be embarking myself.
    Dan
  • polkatese
    edited March 2003
    Dan,
    thanks for your response, do let me know what you find out on the quiz...:-)
  • liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited March 2003
    polkatese,
    it's Dan(I'm at work) .The B&K avr507 has it's own amps internally.There is no exact external amp offered by B&K.They are also ST series internal amps with loads of current to drive 4 ohm load speakers full range at reference levels.....ALLDAY.
    dUDE i'LL GET MORE INFO IF YOU NEED IT.....

Waiting of your FULL review of your system......................and waiting dude.
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    Thats all I got for now man.......
    Dan
  • polkatese
    edited March 2003
    Dan,
    thanks for checking that out for me...so you think 507 amp section is more beefed up compared to av125.7?
  • polkatese
    edited March 2003
    Dan,
    I will review my system changes this week, have to be in Miami tomorrow thru Friday....
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    polkatese,
    the av125.7 isn't the same amp section.The avr507 has more watts in a 8 ohm load but shares the same watts in a 4 ohm at 185.When I spoke to B&K,they told me that the amp section is different.
    Dude if your going to go seperates over the mighty avr507,then go reference amps.They have the most current and power overall with the same sound quality.
    Dan
  • Sumflow
    Sumflow Posts: 64
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by Rainy Southern California
    If I hire an electrician, how much is this going to cost (ballpark is fine), and more importantly, what does he has to do? I am assuming is not as simple as running a dedicated line from the main switchboard to the wall outlet?
    >good question, your looking at about 100 bucks. <

>Mantis, I'm assuming your estimate is labor only? <

>I'd guess a job like such (done properly and professionally) would take 2-3 hours. <

My Electrician says the major unforeseen, unexpected
    increase in costs will come from getting from point A to point B.
    ;)
    "At the first bend, I had the clear sensation that Tazio had taken it badly and that we would end up in the ditch; I felt myself stiffen as I waited for the crunch. Instead, we found ourselves on the next straight with the car in a perfect position. I looked at him, his rugged face was calm, just as it always was, and certainly not the face of someone who had just escaped a hair-raising spin. I had the same sensation at the second bend. By the fourth or fifth bend I began to understand; in the meantime, I had noticed that through the entire bend Tazio did not lift his foot from the accelerator, and that, in fact, it was flat on the floor. As bend followed bend, I discovered his secret. Nuvolari entered the bend somewhat earlier than my driver's instinct would have told me to. But he went into the bend in an unusual way: with one movement he aimed the nose of the car at the inside edge, just where the curve itself started. His foot was flat down, and he had obviously changed down to the right gear before going through this fearsome rigmarole. In this way he put the car into a four-wheel drift, making the most of the thrust of the centrifugal force and keeping it on the road with the traction of the driving wheels. Throughout the bend the car shaved the inside edge, and when the bend turned into the straight the car was in the normal position for accelerating down it, with no need for any corrections."

Enzo Ferrari
  • polkatese
    edited March 2003
    Dan,
    ref 50 and Sherbourn 7/2100 (was also in the running) are out of the question due to their sizes. Yes, they are big, beast, and powerful (massive and heavy), weigh up to 115 lbs (Sherbourne), with its own dedicated toroidal ps for EACH channel. Awesome products, and yet, a complete overkill and space nightmare for me right now. AV125.7 is JUST Right, size, amplification, and look..
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    why not go avr507?
    Dan
  • polkatese
    edited March 2003
    The old separates vs. receiver thing, and not to mention I am keeping the Rotel. So, don't need two receivers 8>)
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    Gotcha
    Dan
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2003
    Sunfire, anyone?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    Naaaaaaaaaaa it's all about B&K and Rotel on this thead man.....nice try.

But feel free to start a thead.........Sunfire we will talk about
    Dan