Dedicated Outlet

Options
124»

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Just messin' with Polka's head... but then you knew that...
    devil-smiley-006.gif
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited March 2003
    Options
    yeah, Tour, nice try! SUN what?
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • polkatese
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Dan and others,
    As promised, a quick review of the impact of dedicated outlet on my system. As I mentioned, last week I had an electrician installed a dedicated two 20 amps outlets, along with PS Audio power ports for the REL Storm III and the A/V gears. This what I noticed:

Gears:
    please check system showcase

Video: noticable increase of brightness, details, and black level. Improvement in overall color saturations (fleshtone)

Audio: noticable increase of bass, tightness (with the REL especially), a tad better soundstage, channel separation (on 2 channels)

Next plan: completing 7.1 wiring and setup

ps: any suggestion on the BEST showcase of 7.1/6.1 movies for testing of surround back contents? thanks

I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited March 2003
    Options
    polkatese,

Glad to see you're enjoying the results, which are exactly what I noticed, but also thought the detail improved and the background became blacker. It is money well spent.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• polkatese
    edited March 2003
    Options
    F1,
    yes, thanks to you on the power port suggestion....hey, I actually could see CNN's Heidi face much better :p she is such a beaut..hmmm
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Very cool.
    Clean power equals better performance.I love it.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • polkatese
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Dan,
    question: the B&K software for ref50, is that meant to configure parameters from pc and download the settings to the unit? thanks,
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Yes,
    you can connect the B&K's preamp (or receiver) to a network or straight from a PC.This software (B&Ksuite) is designed for the experienced user (more for Installer man) to configure the settings and save presets and such.You also can control the unit via rs232.The rs232 is a 2 way port unlike most others on the market.It can be updated via software to latest versions.
    B&K's preamp section is one of the most if not the most flexible I have ever seen.It full of cool things you can do.True dual zone is also nice.
    We don't use it often on the job.But It's nice to beable to setup someones setting before you get to the job,you just download all the setting into the preamp and only thing's left to do is distance and speaker levels(you can set these up,but without being in the room prior to Install,theres no way of knowing the correct setting).
    Well I assume you get the Idea.
    You know the New remote is a fantastic piece.It's fully programmable and custom programed from the computer as well.
    I'm all about Pronto except the tsu500 and I really don't care for the new tsu300 as of yeat(still goofing around with it,it's new),butthis new remote which is also offered as the MX700 it just awesome.The more I goof around with it,the more I like it.For people who don't care for touch screens and perfer hard buttons,this is the one.When I get my avr307 upgraded,There offering the remote as well,I plan on fully programming it and see if I like it better then my current Pronto(tsu1000).If It works out the way I want it 2,then I might skip out on buying the new Ipronto tsu6400,which is pretty badass.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by polkatese
    ps: any suggestion on the BEST showcase of 7.1/6.1 movies for testing of surround back contents?

There are no true "7.1" movies. There are only DD-EX Matrix, DTS-ES Matrix, and DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete.

Regardless, this the best and most up to date list - tastes vary so simply pick your poison:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?threadid=19190&perpage=30&display=&pagenumber=1

Just look at the first post - it is updated as needed. Last update was 3-27-03.

I recommend this most excellent thread as a permanent bookmark for any HT enthusiast looking for the latest in rear surround DVDs.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • polkatese
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Dan,
    thanks for the explanations, that would be really cool if all the setup can be done via laptop and downloaded...

Dr. Spec, that is most useful list, thanks a bunch! I have several titles on my collections already, so it would be fun to watch them the umpteen times. It lists LOTR director's cut for DTS ES Discrete, I wonder if it is the latest release (Nov 2002?)
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by polkatese
    It lists LOTR director's cut for DTS ES Discrete, I wonder if it is the latest release (Nov 2002?)

That is correct - the EE version is DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete, as well as DD-EX Matrix.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • polkatese
    edited April 2003
    Options
    Guys,
    After more than a week watching my PE TV on clean power, I have to say, this is the most cost effective, high ROI expenditure that I ever spent! Brightness and details so improved that it's almost like buying a new unit....So, having said that, I really think it should be in everybody investment list, since cost to do this can be minimal, given your specific situation, and the benefit is immediate! For consideration, my house is only 2.5 years old, so one would think that improvement is expected to be minimal (new wirings, etc.) but I was pleasantly wrong...