Options

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by F1nut
    dorokusai,

It's the store on the corner of 97 and 650. As my neighbor stated to me when I moved here, "Man, you haven't lived until you've had a Sunshine burger." If you want to hook up and have a burger/ talk some audio, drop me a email at jvrestore@aol.com.

F1

Yea, that sounds great, Ill email you.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Sounds good.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Guys,
    get quoted $350 for the conduit, 20 amps, 12 gauge wire, and breaker run, thru the base of the house, about 25 ft run (thanks Tour for suggesting this). They suggested PVC conduit run since it will have the benefit of a dedicated ground run from the breaker. I read somewhere suggesting a metal conduit for better RF rejection. Can anybody enlighten me on the pros and cons of the conduit type? thanks a bunch...
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited March 2003
    Options
    If the run is on the exterior it must be PVC, interior runs can be either PVC or metal.

Is that $350 for one or two outlets? Are you sure this is something you cannot do yourself, it's very, very easy and your costs will be minimal. The conduit and 12g wire is cheap, depending on the breaker type they can range from $20 up to $60/ea. You could do it all yourself for $50 or less per breaker.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • polkatese
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Ron,
    I am tempted to say I might be able to figure it out myself, but I am not sure if I want to. The company that will do this is the same one who install all the wiring on the house, so I am hoping they have the schematic and knows what they are doing, more than I do. I also want to make sure it is a clean job since it will be visible from the outside. The quote is for two outlets.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2003
    Options
    i instaled my own deticated line. run line. 10/12 gauge. hook up oultet. push wire into box. hool the black ti breaker and then hook white/ground to comon in box. install breaker. turn on. just make sure you tirn off the master breaker at top with will turn off the hot rails. aka black. also test for power befor begening.

running cabble. get a snake and a long drill bit bigger than cabble. if you have drywall up you just have to run the wire. if exposed you need staples. and check what code is your area.
  • Jargan04
    Jargan04 Posts: 10
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I also did my own. I ran 2 12 gauge romex lines to my room. One for my my HT, and the other to my computer area. I was not that hard at all. But I have a 1 story house. Took about 2 hours all said and done. Cost me about $50 I think.
  • polkatese
    edited March 2003
    Options
    F1,
    I just got shipment of the PS Power port and the bottom outlet labeled Video, is that meant to say that it has additional wiring to improve the video quality? or hype? I am looking forward to have this installed tomorrow....can't wait
  • F1nut
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Hmmm.....all mine says is AV Grade, but I'm positive that there isn't a difference between the top and bottom. You should notice an improvement on your audio or video regardless of which port you use.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• polkatese
    edited March 2003
    Options
    thanks, chief!
  • F1nut
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Cool, I think you'll be very pleased with the results of the dedicated and power port combo.

President of Club Polk

• polkatese
    edited March 2003
    Options
    yeah, and I was advised by a trusted dealer to avoid expensive power conditioners and go with the midline (HTS3600 or Panamax 5300) if I still think I need one AFTER I put in the dedicated outlet and PS powerport. So, I am looking forward to this...I have a cheapo HTS800 that will (hopefully) protect me from surges for the time being, and perhaps Pana 5300 in the near future.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited March 2003
    Options
    polkatese,
    after all the upgrades and tweaking,I think the power conditioner advise you uptained is false.They make a big difference in overall sound quality and picture quality.It's funny how cleaner power makes a difference.Maybe not funny but I think you got me here.
    I have heard nothing but great things form other employees and listening myself with the Monster HTPS700 which is there reference replacement for mine(hts5000)They unit makes a very noticable difference even compared to mine.I wouldn't short cut here my man.Get your search on,read about them and figure out if it's the right thing to do with your system.I feel it is the way to go as I plan on using one myself.I'm gonna mate mine with the avs2000 for pure power..................
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • polkatese
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Dan,
    thanks for input. What I might do, once the outlet is complete, I will find b&m that carry Pana line, take home 5300 and 5510, and compare the two, and see if I can quantify the value of price difference. 5300 is about $450 and 5510 is $999...
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Thats not bad polkatese,the Monster is 1299.99 HTPS7000.
    Dan
  • polkatese
    edited March 2003
    Options
    yes, but NO detachable powercord :p on the Monster...you know how I felt about powercords :D
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by polkatese
    yes, but NO detachable powercord :p on the Monster...you know how I felt about powercords :D

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

You should stop and take a look at the one they Installed to it...........my god:D
    Dan
  • F1nut
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I would consider one of the PS Audio power plants over the Monster, not sure about the Panamax stuff. PS units actually regenerate the A/C. Oh yeah, comes with detachable power cord.

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    edited March 2003
    Options
    you going to temp polkatese with that,put a pic up and see him drool..............
    Dan
  • polkatese
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I saw it, massive cord, there is no question it's great cable...
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    Options
    it's got a big thick long cord on it.Massive to say the least.
    Dan
  • F1nut
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Ok Dan, here you go.....

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I can't get a larger pic, so here's a link.

edit: Ok, let's try this link. www.psaudio.com

President of Club Polk

• polkatese
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Fi,
    I saw that too (btw, your link doesn't seem to work) it looks great, and priced great too...
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    Options
    F1nut,
    beautiful simply beautiful.
    Dan
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Link works now... but somebody has to explain to me how the P-500 is going to help. At "Up to 500 Watts of pure power" our multichannel amps would suck it dry in no time...
    Unless you're talking only "cleaning up" the AVP's and sources' power, I just don't see the application.
    confused-smiley-013.gif

So show me the light...
    smiley-linie-016.gif
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • F1nut
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Jeez, I don't know........email PS.

President of Club Polk

• polkatese
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Tour,
    you're DA man on emoticon!
  • polkatese
    edited March 2003
    Options
    All,
    Project completed! 2 dedicated 20 amps, 12 gauge lines and breakers installed, along with PS Power port. The guy did a very clean job, with EMT conduit goes on the base of the house. Thanks all for the input, feedback, comments, and insights. On to the next project......
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by polkatese
    All,
    Project completed! 2 dedicated 20 amps, 12 gauge lines and breakers installed, along with PS Power port. The guy did a very clean job, with EMT conduit goes on the base of the house. Thanks all for the input, feedback, comments, and insights. On to the next project......

Final cost?.....
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....