New Polks versus Old Polks

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited August 2002
    Allright,
    I have heard most Polk speakers over the past 10 years or so.I think Polk has progressed in sound quality with The Lsi's over any other speaker to date.The older Ls90's where fantastic......not Lsi's.The Sda 2b's where at best a nice sounding speaker...again Not a match for Lsi.The Awesome SDA 2.3's are manly....not Lsi's.

But thats just my opnion.Everyone has a way they want there speakers to sound.I like older Polk sounding speakers.They have been doing a good job for years.I feel the Lsi 15's are the very best sounding speaker they ever made.

I'm more with Aaron on this then any other time.Speakers gain a level of clarity and detail not able at lower price points.Sure there are alot of great sounding speakers,I like alot of them, but to achive a level of Dynaudio Contour 1.8's or 3.0's you going to have to lay down some serious cash.Then the amp ,pre amp,wire and source all need to come together.10k easy drop in that line.25k not very hard.

Speakers and gear are all where we can get into,if you play your cards long enough maybe you can achive a level your looking for.Right now I have achived a level I was looking for.And I couldn't be happier....................for now!!
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited August 2002
    I'll be happier when I get some mono blocks for the manly speakers....:D
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Chief CW4
    Chief CW4 Posts: 8
    edited August 2002
    Hi guys,

What I was seeking was a sound setup that would do this:

Imagine a person sitting in great 4th row seats of a symphony hall listing to say a series of concert perfomances ranging from YoYo Ma in a cello/violin/piano trio to a full orchestra performance of 1812 overture complete with large tympany drums and/or actual cannons. This person is magically transported (a la Star Trek) into my living room couch, at the precise moment of my playing the CD's or better, DVD recordings of the identical perfomances at the precise time. The individual, if blindfolded, should be unable to tell whether he is in the actuall symphony hall or my living room. All sounds, width of stage image, volume and exact tonal reproduction (transparancy?) should precisely reproduce the live performance. No added (or diminished ) bass, sound levels just the same, etc. If listening to a recording of a small jazz club band, done in a small jazz club, that ambiance and sound should also be reproduced. I am not sure how that translates into some of the audiophile jargon I have seen here. Will a few of you pitch in and translate what I have said so I can get a better feel of some of your comments? Thanks. Oh, and will Monitor 10 B's in front, a 100 watt Polk sub woofer and R15's in back come close to this goal?

Karl/Chief
    Karl
    Jeff City, MO
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited August 2002
    Karl,

The short answer....no!

What will get you what you're looking for.....how much money do you have?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited August 2002
    sounds like he needs some wilson audio...lol
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • TheOneRod
    TheOneRod Posts: 44
    edited August 2002
    One quote I used to say back in my "audio sales" days still applys:

"If it sounds good to you now, it will always sound good."

Something may come along that you like better, but a good sound is always in, no matter what era the equipment hails from. I have a Crest FA901 amp with the smoothest mid and highs you ever heard and it's probably ten years old now.
    "Watch out for snakes!"
    Tom Servo
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2002
    well said, amigo, well said.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited August 2002
    That is the question isn't it..........can I recreate it here, in my living space...........The answer is.......all you...nobody in here including myself can tell you different.

I say this alot and don't want to sound like a broken cd but you need to feel it,experience it.If the Monitor 10's are what your feeling....go with it....if there is a sound your lookin for....go find it.....understanding is experiencing......reading is a real good place to get focused.

My posts all come from experience not some mag I read or thing I read online.You'll get there,It's so hard to keep up with all the terms.......
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited August 2002
    My posts all come from experience not some mag I read or thing I read online.
    And don't forget about all those reps that don't have a clue..... :rolleyes:

Aaron
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited August 2002
    And don't forget about all those reps that don't have a clue.....

He He He a Ha Ha Ha......funny stuff Aaron...funny stuff... icon_lol.gif
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • TroyD
    edited August 2002
    You know Aaron, George would say, "It's okay you think SH sucks. What I think sucks, is that you'll have to spend all that money and still not come close to the Amazing's performance. Now THAT sucks." Yup, that's what George would say.

BDT
  • TroyD
    edited August 2002
    freakin' Holiday Inn Express, I tell ya.....

BDT
  • deq15
    deq15 Posts: 56
    edited August 2002
    Guys, The SDA's have the imaging - they have great presence - detailed response hi and low - superior powerhandling (my complaint with the rt55i's) and they have IMAGING - nothing holds up. There are plenty of great sounding speakers out there and you can have all that sonic holography you want - it doesnt hold up to a good set of SDA's
  • Aaron
    edited August 2002
    "What I think sucks, is that you'll have to spend all that money and still not come close to the Amazing's performance. Now THAT sucks."
    It all depends what performance variables you value.

Aaron
  • Aaron
    edited August 2002
    "If it sounds good to you now, it will always sound good."

Something may come along that you like better, but a good sound is always in, no matter what era the equipment hails from.
    I wish this were true for me, but it just ain't so. Haven't you ever experienced something that is so superior to what you're used to that when you go back to it you're acutely aware of how inferior it is?

Aaron
  • TroyD
    edited August 2002
    You can dance around all you like. those Amazing's were lumped in with Apogee Diva's, Wilson's, The big $ Martin-Logan's, and Duntechs. Except the Amazings are a tiny fraction of the cost of the others, and hold their own against them.

So what are the performance variables? Those things image like nobodys business, and do deep bass like nothing else. You didn't like the color?

BDT
  • Aaron
    edited August 2002
    So what are the performance variables? Those things image like nobodys business, and do deep bass like nothing else. You didn't like the color?
    Refer to my post on the first page of this thread for my brief discussion of the performance variables that I value and the order in which I value them. Image like nobody's business? Pfft. Turn off the SH and see what happens. They hardly image in that room. The speakers are only 4' apart, and that room is really narrow. I'm sure they'd do better in a wider room. Bass performance and presence was very good; there's no disputing that. I wasn't that impressed with their detail and transparency. Sure, they're better than my Polks, but they don't compare to the $2000 Revel bookshelf's in those departments, let alone Martin Logans or Wilsons.
    You can dance around all you like. those Amazing's were lumped in with Apogee Diva's, Wilson's, The big $ Martin-Logan's, and Duntechs. Except the Amazings are a tiny fraction of the cost of the others, and hold their own against them.
    The Carver's are a good speaker for the money, no doubt, but they can in no way compare to Wilson or Martin Logan (unless you're talking about the cheap models). What are you smoking, Troy? Do you know what good sound is? Do you???

Aaron
  • Janusch
    Janusch Posts: 132
    edited August 2002
    Hi,
    New to the Board and new to Polk. After reading some of the threads on the different kinds of speakers I'm wondering if I made a mistake.
    The Great Indoors by me were clearancing out Polk RTI series speaker so I bought a set of them (4) RT55I (1) CS400I (2) FX50I and I picked up a receiver they were discontinuing. They did not have the LSI series in to demo. Know I'm afraid to go back because they will blow away the speakers I just bought and I'll have to return these, buy the new ones, and my wife will file for divorce.
    So my question how much better are the new LSI9 compaired to the RT55I. How much more would you be willing to spend on them ( I got a decent deal of the the RTI speakers)?
  • Aaron
    edited August 2002
    The RTi line of speakers is great for the money. The LSi's are significantly better, yes, but they do cost twice as much. Since you got your RTi's on clearance, the price difference further widens. The other thing to consider is that the LSi speakers demand much better amplification. So, unless you have separates or a very good receiver, you're going to have to upgrade that as well. The bottom line is you get what you pay for. It seems that Polk offers an excellent speaker at all their price points, be it RTi or LSi. It just depends on your budget and expectations.

Aaron
  • TroyD
    edited August 2002
    No Aaron not the cheap models. The EXPENSIVE models. George showed me a review of the Carver Amazing's, from the Boston Audio Society. Now the Boston Audio Society has been listening to, and reviewing equipment, longer than you have been alive. Their findings JUST MIGHT be consistent with the truth, and they don't advertise in their periodical, so the reviews can't be "bought".

Bottom line was, " Spend up to $100,000 on the Wilson's, Apogee Diva's, the big Martin-Logans, or the Infinity Reference Standard. Don't think for a minute that by purchasing these you will surpass the Carver's. NOT TRUE! The Carver's are "just as good, a hair better, a hair inferior, but right there at $2,700/pair!"

I'll pass YOUR findings along to the BAS. With all your experience, I'm sure they'll run right out and retract their findings (and watch out for that winged pig).

BDT
  • nascarmann
    edited August 2002
    With all your experience, I'm sure they'll run right out and retract their findings (and watch out for that winged pig).

Help me out of the floor.......smiley_rotflmao.gifsmiley_rotflmao.gif
  • Janusch
    Janusch Posts: 132
    edited August 2002
    Thanks Arron
    But for safty reason I think I'm going to stay away form listening to the LSI's until the option of taking the RTI back is done with (30 Days) that way I will not be tempted into swaping. Just think this all started for me because I wanted to get a Bose Home theater system to make my new DVD player sound better. Where does this stuff end.
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited August 2002
    Originally posted by trubluluc
    Guys-

Been seeing alot of older SDA's on ebay and have to say, they are very impressive looking with all those drivers and tweeters.
    Are they outdated?
    How do they compare in sound to the new stuff?

-Luc

Just curious, and I know this is one of those questions without a real answer... you SDA guys here seem to LOVE these speakers... the ads on E-bay always have a lot of great stuff to say... and from what I understand SDAs are relatively rare.. so.. why are they for sale so often?
  • nascarmann
    edited August 2002
    In the last year I have seen 3 pair off "true" SDA SRS 1.2tl's for sale on ebay. I have seen 4-5 pair of "true" SDA SRS 2.3tl's in the last year or so and about the same number of the older SRS and 2.3's. I have seen 100-150 pair of used RT-55's in this same time frame.......why are they for sale so often?;)
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2002
    The show how far Polk has come in 10 yrs, or some such.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    edited August 2002
    The WIVES are selling the big speakers. The mice are just along for the ride. (George's words, not mine)

BDT
  • TroyD
    edited August 2002
    Man, how did I get so smart all of a sudden?? Maybe there really IS something magical in the "imitation" magic closet.

BDT
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    This is creeping me out man, its like that brylcreme soaked **** Tony Rome bought the farm, and you are our 'medium' to speak to him....

Thats it, Im leaving the forum.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    edited August 2002
    He's moving my lips!!!!

BDT
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    I've decided to return to the forum, it feels good to be back.